Harsin: Firing Williams couldn't wait

WFE12

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I thought that narrative was ridiculous as well, until I read two different sources report that it did in fact come into play.  Basically, he wanted to promote his longtime assistant from an analyst position to an on field coaching position and in order to do so a spot had to come open.  He and Bobo supposedly decided that a statement should be made and that the poor performance on Saturday provided the opportunity to accomplish two things at once.

link? both links if you got them.

56 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

link? both links if you got them.

It's Jay G. Tate's dumb nega-barner a** and JHok who is absolutely just floating a narrative for clicks. Then, if you actually read what he wrote, he actually reverses course and documents what Harsin has been saying about the receiving core for quite some time.

All of 24/7 has absolutely refuted this narrative. Every person I personally talk to that's usually right on these things has debunked the "make a point" crap circulating. Harsin himself has very clearly said that's "bunk" and no head coach would ever do that to make a point. There's other ways to get that exact point across.

The "wait until the end of the year" thing isn't realistic either. They likely gave him the option of essentially switching with the analyst unofficially and he probably told them something along the lines of "let me do my job or fire me". 

We'll be fine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It's Jay G. Tate's dumb nega-barner a** and JHok who is absolutely just floating a narrative for clicks. Then, if you actually read what he wrote, he actually reverses course and documents what Harsin has been saying about the receiving core for quite some time.

All of 24/7 has absolutely refuted this narrative. Every person I personally talk to that's usually right on these things has debunked the "make a point" crap circulating. Harsin himself has very clearly said that's "bunk" and no head coach would ever do that to make a point. There's other ways to get that exact point across.

The "wait until the end of the year" thing isn't realistic either. They likely gave him the option of essentially switching with the analyst unofficially and he probably told them something along the lines of "let me do my job or fire me". 

We'll be fine.

Man, I just get sick of these kind of calm common sense approaches. There’s just no room for it in today’s society. Where’s the radical emotions? < @bigbirdfont>

ps. this isn’t just a response to this message directly but all of your posts. Appreciate what you bring to the site 

Edited by Jgarrett7
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I agree 100%. I am a member of the other sites and some of the crap that is spewed from the moderators is ridiculous. They are looking for clicks. JG is one of the biggest rumor starters of all time when it comes to Auburn football. He just starts crap, throws it against the wall and hopes it sticks. The only real value from that site is the intel from certain posters. 

• Like 1

Just now, gr82b4au said:

I agree 100%. I am a member of the other sites and some of the crap that is spewed from the moderators is ridiculous. They are looking for clicks. JG is one of the biggest rumor starters of all time when it comes to Auburn football. He just starts crap, throws it against the wall and hopes it sticks. The only real value from that site is the intel from certain posters. 

Yup. Like I said somewhere else, he was absolutely convinced that Tank Bigsby was gone to Georgia and that Cadillac was being shown the door with no one bothering to even talk to him.

4 hours ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

I think another happened a few plays later, also I think I remember once with Bo but not sure when.  In all honesty, dont think any coach on the team is cutting it right now, and he had a WR coach that he trusts sitting as an analyst so that is why he made the change.

While it might have been crazy in the past to fire a coach after 4 games, Ohio St demoted there DC after 2

Navy canned their DC two games into the season. IIRC Mason at Vandy canned his DC one year and took over mid season

21 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Mike Bobo.....don't unpack the garage just yet. 

Too important for recruiting to cut him loose during the season but you can bet he will make more stupid calls beginning Saturday. Definitely shouldn't make it past this season.

people say you fired corn so lets fire mason, bobo, the d line guy, and whomever else is in the fan dog house. if we did that who is going to coach? who is going to come in and know enough about players to have them ready in a week? and if we fired all those coaches we would be the laughing stock of the country. it is pretty much impossible in my personal opinion. i understand folks are upset about corn but you are letting your emotions get to you. crain and jboy were both friends so their takes are emotional.again, in my personal opinion. bo was not getting it done but when he did throw a decent pass folks were dropping them. again too many times not enough receivers were on the field. that is very basic stuff and anyone who claims to know about coaching knows this. very basic. i hate it for corn and his family but being let go is part of the game. coaches get fired all the time including during the season. and i refuse to believe harsin did it because he is a jerk. we can do better and we should expect better. harsin moved his family across the country for his job and if things go wrong it is on him and not the assistants. he has the right to do it his way. when your qb has to tell the sideline he needs more receivers in the game is a very bad look. i just do not understand the dust up going on. we want to win right? i think his staff got the message. i excuse the d line guy because we are trying to stop folks with a three man front. that stuff needs to go away until we can realistically stop folks using it. and it hurts the secondary as well. these are new schemes and i imagine they more than a spring and four games to get it right. and sometimes you do not know what is working until it is battle tested. again i have no axe to grind with corn and i wish it had worked out because ge would have been my man crush but i am slow as always. harsin needs a couple of years and he needs to do it his way and if it does not work out then he cannot say we did not give him a chance.

We just need to see results . I don’t care if you have a whole staff of Boise guys, just win and win often. That is all that matters. If you do it your way and show success , people will follow. However, if you do it your way and look foolish, expect criticism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Definitively will say this had nothing to do with "making a statement" so we can stop that stupid s***.

It also isn't some weird Boise-bias dumb narrative that's getting stirred up.

All spring we have heard how inconsistent the receivers have been, drops have been absolutely ridiculous in the worst possible moments, blocking has not been great by wide receivers, there were multiple times in the game this week where we had 10 players on the field. One time TJ had to waste time on a short game clock to wave a player onto the field (and miraculously did so in a way that didn't cause an illegal substitution), another time we had too many players on the field and Williams had to drag a guy off of the field.

Instead of believing in our head coach we're going full conspiracy/chicken little mode? Why does our fanbase have to be so exhausting all the time? So many of you are buying into false narratives and trying to stir stuff up and do "whataboutism" instead of thinking why Harsin, who has never made a move like this in his coaching career this early, felt it necessary to do this immediately?

He can't fire multiple coaches and replace them four weeks into the season. Where do you find a coach who will leave his program right now? He happened to have a guy that already knows the system and expectations on the staff. Not sure that's the case for other positions. Let's look at other coaches I've heard being attacked and asked "why not fire this guy then?"

Bobo - yeah no he's not firing the OC and lead recruiter on plenty of key targets 4 weeks into the season. That's asinine especially for a 3-1 team heading into the LSU game with a decent chance of pulling out a win in the first year of a new staff. Harsin would have to take over the OC role himself in this scenario which would be a nightmare as far as his workload doubling if not tripling.

Mason - again, no. Harsin could promote one of his former Boise guys that had DC experience I guess but are we going to completely trash schemes and relearn a different defense 4 weeks into the season? They have done a good job of adjusting in games and are slowly but surely learning how to play different types of coverage. They're being asked to think more and that takes time as well as trial-and-error to develop. Mason is widely respected for a reason.

Will Friend - the OL looked awful against Georgia State but I think it's fair to say that's largely due to an overloaded box and no passing threat keeping GS honest. They looked very much improved against Penn State and have looked a lot better in the first two games as well. This group is improving. Still only so much to do with such an understaffed position group.

Nick Eason - the DL has been disappointing but that's been the case for a minute. Guys like Moultry and Leota are starting to emerge but there is a reason our DL group is loaded with transfers and former JuCo players. It isn't a well-stocked group either and with the scheme of a 3-man front and lots of double teams. Eason's track record is too good and his recruiting reviews have been phenomenal so far.

Linebackers look fine outside of coverage (an ongoing issue from previous years)

Zac Etheridge? Nah. He's received nothing but rave reviews.

It's just like when a student gets in trouble in class. Usually after elementary they know better than to point fingers and go "what about that person not doing what they're supposed to do!" There was obviously an issue with this specific coach and the direction we want to head towards. Be a fan and support our coach. Give him some grace in his first year here. Relax.

The guy with the basketball avatar is not going to like you not dragging Bobo through the dirt. 

• Haha 1

This is just speculation so do not read it as me hearing anything on the inside or anything.

Is it possible that the reason it didn't happen at the end of the season is that Harsin basically came and told Corn he wasn't happy with the WR development, that he was elevating Kiesau to co-WR coach or at least unofficially handing the reins over to him, and Williams' reaction was basically that that was untenable and to just go ahead and let him go?  Otherwise the plan was to just ride it out til the end of the year, and Williams go find another job.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

This is just speculation so do not read it as me hearing anything on the inside or anything.

Is it possible that the reason it didn't happen at the end of the season is that Harsin basically came and told Corn he wasn't happy with the WR development, that he was elevating Kiesau to co-WR coach or at least unofficially handing the reins over to him, and Williams' reaction was basically that that was untenable and to just go ahead and let him go?  Otherwise the plan was to just ride it out til the end of the year, and Williams go find another job.

Based on reactions from people who know Corn, I would say that it was more direct than that, but that's just my read on the situation. 

Moreover, if you already know you are going to cut ties, you don't keep the man around when his replacement is already on staff. If the scenario you described were true, it would make me question Harsin's management qualities. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

We just need to see results . I don’t care if you have a whole staff of Boise guys, just win and win often. That is all that matters. If you do it your way and show success , people will follow. However, if you do it your way and look foolish, expect criticism.

Guarantee if stuff go bad the exact same people will first get mad when you bring stuff up, will use the stuff they argued against as reasons to why we suck. WR group sucks because we need players......lol yeah you think?

And once again how stupid is a fan base to go right back to a shut up don't question anything mode? You can't make it up

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Harsin doesn’t strike me as the man to just let things ride out , particularly going back to the mass exodus of players in the off season.

JHoke's comment was written poorly and was misinterpreted by many.  He said it was overheard that Harsin's and Bobo were heard talking and one of them said it was time to make a change.      Somehow people took this as it was done to just do it, a completely unreasonable conclusion.   He also said he has just one source who made some claims about changes coming but that it was just one guy and that he would be surprised if there were any more and made it clear that it was just one guy.    Tate lost all his connections, he is just trying to stay employed. 

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

JHoke's comment was written poorly and was misinterpreted by many.  He said it was overheard that Harsin's and Bobo were heard talking and one of them said it was time to make a change.      Somehow people took this as it was done to just do it, a completely unreasonable conclusion.   He also said he has just one source who made some claims about changes coming but that it was just one guy and that he would be surprised if there were any more and made it clear that it was just one guy.    Tate lost all his connections, he is just trying to stay employed. 

lol this is a terrible take. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

lol this is a terrible take. 

so what is terrible about it.  does the quote say to fire someone just to fire someone or that someone needs to be fired?

16 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

so what is terrible about it.  does the quote say to fire someone just to fire someone or that someone needs to be fired?

That's exactly what the quote implies.  They talk about "needing to firing someone".  It's ambiguous and leads to the idea it was for a statement, not merit.

Blame Tate if you want, but a lot of the conspiracies' are started from this tweet.  But I guess message board poster turned tool salesman...we shouldn't expect well written words

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's exactly what the quote implies.  They talk about "needing to firing someone".  It's ambiguous and leads to the idea it was for a statement, not merit.

Blame Tate if you want, but a lot of the conspiracies' are started from this tweet.  But I guess message board poster turned tool salesman...we shouldn't expect well written words

this was clearly taking out of context as a partial quote and given to Hoke.  Of which he implies that this means Bobo and Harsin were on the same page.  Now the intent of the source could be to cause chaos but Hoke has to quote what he was told.  Clearly someone overheard those two talking about" it is time to fire Williams" but did not get the name of which coach or did not wanna give up that information at the time.  

"fire someone" didn't mean lets randomly pick a guy and fire him. it clearly meant we are gonna fire someone, and the person listening in on their conversation did not hear who.

Has anyone considered the perspective of the wide receiver group on this coaching move? Us fans have plenty of opinions but that in reality don't count, but the wr players' opinion carries clout. Maybe they think (my opinion) Harsin is looking out after their best interest and will do what it takes to help them improve and perform to expectations. I will be watching this group closer of the next few weeks. 

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

Definitively will say this had nothing to do with "making a statement" so we can stop that stupid s***.

It also isn't some weird Boise-bias dumb narrative that's getting stirred up.

All spring we have heard how inconsistent the receivers have been, drops have been absolutely ridiculous in the worst possible moments, blocking has not been great by wide receivers, there were multiple times in the game this week where we had 10 players on the field. One time TJ had to waste time on a short game clock to wave a player onto the field (and miraculously did so in a way that didn't cause an illegal substitution), another time we had too many players on the field and Williams had to drag a guy off of the field.

Instead of believing in our head coach we're going full conspiracy/chicken little mode? Why does our fanbase have to be so exhausting all the time? So many of you are buying into false narratives and trying to stir stuff up and do "whataboutism" instead of thinking why Harsin, who has never made a move like this in his coaching career this early, felt it necessary to do this immediately?

He can't fire multiple coaches and replace them four weeks into the season. Where do you find a coach who will leave his program right now? He happened to have a guy that already knows the system and expectations on the staff. Not sure that's the case for other positions. Let's look at other coaches I've heard being attacked and asked "why not fire this guy then?"

Bobo - yeah no he's not firing the OC and lead recruiter on plenty of key targets 4 weeks into the season. That's asinine especially for a 3-1 team heading into the LSU game with a decent chance of pulling out a win in the first year of a new staff. Harsin would have to take over the OC role himself in this scenario which would be a nightmare as far as his workload doubling if not tripling.

Mason - again, no. Harsin could promote one of his former Boise guys that had DC experience I guess but are we going to completely trash schemes and relearn a different defense 4 weeks into the season? They have done a good job of adjusting in games and are slowly but surely learning how to play different types of coverage. They're being asked to think more and that takes time as well as trial-and-error to develop. Mason is widely respected for a reason.

Will Friend - the OL looked awful against Georgia State but I think it's fair to say that's largely due to an overloaded box and no passing threat keeping GS honest. They looked very much improved against Penn State and have looked a lot better in the first two games as well. This group is improving. Still only so much to do with such an understaffed position group.

Nick Eason - the DL has been disappointing but that's been the case for a minute. Guys like Moultry and Leota are starting to emerge but there is a reason our DL group is loaded with transfers and former JuCo players. It isn't a well-stocked group either and with the scheme of a 3-man front and lots of double teams. Eason's track record is too good and his recruiting reviews have been phenomenal so far.

Linebackers look fine outside of coverage (an ongoing issue from previous years)

Zac Etheridge? Nah. He's received nothing but rave reviews.

It's just like when a student gets in trouble in class. Usually after elementary they know better than to point fingers and go "what about that person not doing what they're supposed to do!" There was obviously an issue with this specific coach and the direction we want to head towards. Be a fan and support our coach. Give him some grace in his first year here. Relax.

Really good post. I couldnt agree more. I've been reading this forum for a long time but never felt compelled to post until now. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cole256 said:

Can you tell me when this happen? I'd like to go look. I don't know how I missed all of these mistakes

False start #1 -> 1st Qtr AU's 3rd possession < 5:00 1st & goal GSU 6. False start (can't find a name). Result: FG

False start #2 -> 2nd Qtr AU's 2nd possession < 7:00 1st & 10 GSU 46. SJ false start penalty. Result: FG

After the 2nd one, my son and I both looked at one another and asked, "Is that the 2nd false start on a WR?". Others here have pointed out the instances of late entry while Finley was in the game. Others have mentioned only 10 eligible players due to WR misalignment? If fans watching on TV are noticing this stuff, I don't what else to say.

• Like 1