New Offensive Coordinator - Austin Davis

Zeek

Since we are turning to a more pro-style offense, and this guy was a pro qb and qb coach, it makes sense he would know route trees and how to use a qb in that offense. He should also know what to do with D.Davis who has a lot of traits like R.Wilson. I really think D.Davis wins the qb job this spring with this coaches tutelage.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, auburn41 said:

Hey Bird, I didn't know President Reagan had a child that was an Auburn fan 😎

29 minutes ago, fredst said:

Wait….your Dad was Ronald Reagan?

Nancy said just say no.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Oh I get it now. You guys know more than everyone else so do not question anything.

Precisely! Glad you are caught up to speed, bud.

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Didba said:

Precisely! Glad you are caught up to speed, bud.

I think it interesting that you did not dispute anything I said or answered any questions that I proposed.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, 80Tiger said:

I think it interesting that you did not dispute anything I said or answered any questions that I proposed.

You didn't pose any questions or leave anything up for dispute in your reply to me so there was not anything for myself to dispute or answer, and I am not gonna go hunt them down somewhere else in the thread. So I guess if you want to find it interesting that I didn't respond to something I never read then that is your prerogative.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

JMO, and I don't want to put words in his mouth, but all I believe he was saying is that some are a little more experienced in seeing the smaller patterns of improvement that have historically paid dividends. Kinda like seeing the pebble as opposed to the ripples.

Everyone sees the tsunami coming, but very few initially know about the underwater earthquake/eruption.  Those that are familiar or work in that field can usually see the signs before the wave hits.

As far as not questioning goes, I'll say it this way...My dad always had a great saying when growing up, "Trust, but verify"

That's a standard in the nuclear industry. If people knew a little more about the nuclear industry they would understand me a bit better as a person. I get paid very well to challenge everybody every step of the way at all times. You can't be afraid but at the same time while you are challenging you better have some logic and knowledge to what you are challenging

• Like 3

4 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Count me as another who doesn't get it. 

This guy has virtually no experience and no track record of running any sort of offense. He also hasn't recruited. 

Across the board, we have more of a project staff at this point than even with Malzahn. Hope all that risk ultimately pays off. 

Virtually no experience? You are joking right? He spent seven years as a backup QB in the NFL.  That is more valuable experience then most of the OCs Gus brought in.  Not to mention his time coaching under Pete Carrol and with RWilson.

Further, he isn't being brought into run the offense entirely by himself.  Harsin is mentoring him into a full time OC.  Which means this guy wont leave us in two years as such results in an OC that will be here for the next 5-6 years, and likely calling plays within the next two years.

As for the recruiting, more often then not, former young NFL guys do spectacular on the recruiting trail i.e. Eason on the current staff.  Recruits care about two things more then anything else; ability to relate to the NFL and a coach that is closer to their age than not.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't have any problems with people questioning things, I just wish people would be consistent and unbiased to who they question. But that's wishing for a world that simply doesn't exist.

Anyway it goes, what's done is done now and you can't do anything but watch and hope for the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Wait….your Dad was Ronald Reagan?

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

Hey Bird, I didn't know President Reagan had a child that was an Auburn fan 😎

Never said he originated it...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Didba said:

You didn't pose any questions or leave anything up for dispute in your reply to me so there was not anything for myself to dispute or answer, and I am not gonna go hunt them down somewhere else in the thread. So I guess if you want to find it interesting that I didn't respond to something I never read then that is your prerogative.

There were 4 questions in the original post. I guess you are right; you never read it.

I'm hoping Austin can help the QBs learn not to hold on to the ball too long -- make quicker decisons & get rid of the ball before the rush overtakes them.  He does that and then the offense will start moving the ball down the field.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

There were 4 questions in the original post. I guess you are right; you never read it.

Yeah, I normally read through a thread if its below 5 pages, but this one was pretty long so I jumped to the last couple of pages last night.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

JMO, and I don't want to put words in his mouth, but all I believe he was saying is that some are a little more experienced in seeing the smaller patterns of improvement that have historically paid dividends. Kinda like seeing the pebble as opposed to the ripples.

Everyone sees the tsunami coming, but very few initially know about the underwater earthquake/eruption.  Those that are familiar or work in that field can usually see the signs before the wave hits.

As far as not questioning goes, I'll say it this way...My dad always had a great saying when growing up, "Trust, but verify"

This is exactly what I was trying to say in not so many words.  I had driven from Houston to Fairhope last night to visit the Parents so I was pretty tired when I made that reply late last night so it was brief.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Didba said:

This is exactly what I was trying to say in not so many words.  I had driven from Houston to Fairhope last night to visit the Parents so I was pretty tired when I made that reply late last night so it was brief.

Such a fun drive...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Didba said:

Didba, somewhere between NOLA and Mobile:

Large Marge GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Didba, somewhere between NOLA and Mobile:

Large Marge GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

The stretches of I10 and I12 between Lake Charles to Baton Rouge and Hammond to Slidell are about as dreary as they come.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Such a fun drive...

The amount of hours of my short life that have been wasted on I10 are far and away too high.  Flat with nothing to look at for miles.  Thank god, for Steely Dan, 70s/80s classic rock and Auburn football podcasts.

My wife falls asleep before the TX state line and doesn't wake up until we are in the tunnel under mobile river, most trips... she is lucky.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Didba said:

Virtually no experience? You are joking right? He spent seven years as a backup QB in the NFL.  That is more valuable experience then most of the OCs Gus brought in.  Not to mention his time coaching under Pete Carrol and with RWilson.

As an offensive coordinator specifically. Like I said, I see where the potential is... it just hits me as a longer term prospect than I'm used to seeing with Auburn. But I'm getting used to the idea that Harsin feel confident in taking that kind of time, and that could certainly pay dividends if the money has the patience to go along with their faith in his plan. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Didba said:

The stretches of I10 and I12 between Lake Charles to Baton Rouge and Hammond to Slidell are about as dreary as they come.

Coming across the Mobile Causeway is a great experience though.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Coming across the Mobile Causeway is a great experience though.

It definitely is especially since I know I am about 30 minutes from the Parent's once I am on the bay-way unless its rush hour but rarely do I hit it during that time.

1 minute ago, Didba said:

It definitely is especially since I know I am about 30 minutes from the Parent's once I am on the bay-way unless its rush hour but rarely do I hit it during that time.

Fog can be a bummer but love Fairhope. My daughter/granddaughter live there. We travel it often but much shorter trip for us.

• Love 1

Just read an interview with Finley and he was talking about the transition to the Harsin offense. He said it will be more uptempo than we saw under Bobo.

• Like 5