The Red Wave (Tsunami) in two weeks

I_M4_AU

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You post your usual drivel about what the Republicans might do, but where is you argument about history?  What *history* do you have that Trump would not have handled it better?

You have none, just speculation.

I was referring to Coffee's post relating the history of the Republicans view of Ukraine.  (Their view was formed by their obsession with Hunter Biden.)

You called it speculation.  It wasn't. It was history.  Go back and look it up.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You want to discuss why the U.S. opposed giving Poland's F-4's to Ukraine? Sounds like you think we should have. In your opinion, was this "weak" or appropriately prudent?

Or are you just throwing stuff - you don't understand -  out there and calling it a point? :rolleyes:

One can only speculate if giving Ukraine the F-4s would have quickened the end of the war or not.  And one can only speculate if Putin would have used any type of nuclear weaponry in the case of Ukraine getting those F-4s.  

It is what it is at this point.  The real question is where do we go from here?  Is there an exit strategy?

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

One can only speculate if giving Ukraine the F-4s would have quickened the end of the war or not.  And one can only speculate if Putin would have used any type of nuclear weaponry in the case of Ukraine getting those F-4s.  

It is what it is at this point.  The real question is where do we go from here?  Is there an exit strategy?

Well, at least you are now asking questions instead of simply making uninformed assertions.

But, I have to admit it was a complete surprise to me that Biden's bungling of our retreat from Afghanistan pushed Putin over the edge to invade Ukraine.   :laugh:

As for "exit strategy" I think that's for Putin to worry about.

You are a hoot.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I was referring to Coffee's post relating the history of the Republicans view of Ukraine.  (Their view was formed by their obsession with Hunter Biden.)

You called it speculation.  It wasn't. It was history.  Go back and look it up.

What has Hunter Biden’s dealings in Ukraine have to do with how the Republicans would have handled the Russian invasion of Ukraine?  I believe Ukraine got what it was asking for under Trump’s administration.

I would speculate that under Trump the Nord Stream 2 would still be under sanction and the withdrawal from Afghanistan would have been completed while Ramadan was ongoing with a lot less drama.  But that is just speculation.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

But, I have to admit it was a complete surprise to me that Biden's bungling of our retreat from Afghanistan pushed Putin over the edge to invade Ukraine.   :laugh:

As for "exit strategy" I think that's for Putin to worry about.

The Afghanistan debacle was not what pushed him over the edge, he was going to invade before that, it just embolden him to know Biden wouldn’t do anything.

The exit strategy is a concern for all of Europe as they are the ones facing a cold winter with higher heating costs.  That, evidently, doesn’t concern you as you won’t be the one dealing with a cold European winter in South Carolina.

• Dislike 1

30 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The Afghanistan debacle was not what pushed him over the edge, he was going to invade before that, it just embolden him to know Biden wouldn’t do anything.

The exit strategy is a concern for all of Europe as they are the ones facing a cold winter with higher heating costs.  That, evidently, doesn’t concern you as you won’t be the one dealing with a cold European winter in South Carolina.

Well, he was dead wrong, wasn't he?

And what makes you say I am "evidently not concerned" about the winter the Europeans are about to experience, because I won't have to? 

What a totally stupid thing to say.

I'm not going to waste any more time debating such a stupid person.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, he was dead wrong, wasn't he?

Other than throw money at the problem; what has he done?  Oh yeah, sanctions. That’s it. And Putin is still in the driver’s seat. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Other than throw money at the problem; what has he done?  Oh yeah, sanctions. That’s it.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-security-cooperation-with-ukraine/

United States security assistance committed to Ukraine includes:

• Over 1,400 Stinger anti-aircraft systems;
  • Over 8,500 Javelin anti-armor systems;
  • Over 39,300 other anti-armor systems;
  • Over 700 Switchblade Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems;
  • 142 155mm Howitzers and up to 903,000 155mm artillery rounds;
  • 4,000 precision-guided 155mm artillery rounds;
  • 11,000 155mm rounds of Remote Anti-Armor Mine (RAAM) Systems;
  • 36 105mm Howitzers and 180,000 105mm artillery rounds;
  • 276 Tactical Vehicles to tow weapons;
  • 22 Tactical Vehicles to recover equipment;
  • 38 High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems and ammunition;
  • 20 120mm mortar systems and 115,000 120mm mortar rounds;
  • 1,500 Tube-Launched, Optically-Tracked, Wire-Guided (TOW) missiles;
  • Four Command Post vehicles;
  • Eight National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS) and munitions;
  • High-speed Anti-radiation missiles (HARMs);
  • 20 Mi-17 helicopters;
  • Hundreds of Armored High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWVs);
  • 44 trucks and 88 trailers to transport heavy equipment;
  • 200 M113 Armored Personnel Carriers;
  • 440 MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles;
  • Mine clearing equipment and systems;
  • Over 10,000 grenade launchers and small arms;
  • Over 66,750,000 rounds of small arms ammunition;
  • Over 75,000 sets of body armor and helmets;
  • Approximately 700 Phoenix Ghost Tactical Unmanned Aerial Systems;
  • Laser-guided rocket systems;
  • Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems;
  • 15 Scan Eagle Unmanned Aerial Systems;
  • Two radars for Unmanned Aerial Systems;
  • Unmanned Coastal Defense Vessels;
  • Over 50 counter-artillery radars;
  • Four counter-mortar radars;
  • 20 multi-mission radars;
  • Counter-Unmanned Aerial Systems;
  • Ten air surveillance radars;
  • Four satellite communications antennas.
  • Two harpoon coastal defense systems;
  • 18 coastal and riverine patrol boats;
  • M18A1 Claymore anti-personnel munitions;
  • C-4 explosives, demolition munitions, and demolition equipment for obstacle clearing;
  • Obstacle emplacement equipment;
  • Tactical secure communications systems;
  • Four satellite communications antennas;
  • Thousands of night vision devices, surveillance systems, thermal imagery systems, optics, and laser rangefinders;
  • Commercial satellite imagery services;
  • Explosive ordnance disposal equipment and protective gear;
  • Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear protective equipment;
  • 100 armored medical treatment vehicles;
  • Medical supplies to include first aid kits, bandages, monitors, and other equipment;
  • Electronic jamming equipment;
  • Field equipment, cold weather gear, and spare parts;
  • Funding for training, maintenance, and sustainment.

As of September 9, 2022, nearly 50 Allies and partner countries have provided security assistance to Ukraine.  Among their many contributions to Ukraine, Allies and partners have delivered 10 long-range Multiple Launch Rocket Systems (MLRS), 178 long-range artillery systems, nearly 100,000 rounds of long-range artillery ammunition, nearly 250,000 anti-tank munitions, 359 tanks, 629 armored personnel carriers and infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs), 8,214 short-range air defense missiles, and 88 lethal UAVs.  Since February 24, Allies and partners worldwide have provided or committed over $13 billion in security assistance.

Presidential Drawdown Authority (PDA)

Pursuant to a delegation by the President, we have used the emergency Presidential Drawdown Authority on twenty-four occasions since August 2021 to provide Ukraine approximately $10.9 billion in military assistance directly from DoD stockpiles.

Security Assistance

On September 8, the Department notified Congress today of our intent to make a further $2.2 billion available in long-term investments under Foreign Military Financing (FMF) to bolster the security of Ukraine and 17 of its regional neighbors; including both many of our NATO allies as well as other regional security partners who are most potentially at risk for future Russian aggression. These funds will help our allies and partners who have provided security assistance to Ukraine backfill their capabilities.

On April 24, the Department notified Congress of its intention to obligate more than $713 million in Foreign Military Financing funding for Ukraine and 15 other Allied and partner nations in Central and Eastern Europe and the Balkans.  Assistance in this Notification will help NATO Allies backfill capabilities they have donated to Ukraine from their own stockpiles to retain and strengthen NATO deterrence.

So far in FY2022, DoD has provided $950 million in security assistance to Ukraine under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI).  In FY 2021, Ukraine received $275 million under DoD’s Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative (USAI).  This included $75 million in lethal assistance.

In FY 2021, the Department provided Ukraine $115 million in Foreign Military Financing (FMF) and $3 million in International Military Education and Training (IMET) funding.  Prior to Russia’s renewed invasion, FMF supported Ukraine’s acquisition of a wide array of capabilities including counter-mortar radars, secure radios, vehicles, electronic equipment, small arms and light weapons, and medical supplies, among others.

The Global Security Contingency Fund, a joint program of the U.S. Departments of State and Defense, has provided more than $42 million in training, advisory services, and equipment to assist the Government of Ukraine to further develop the tactical, operational, and institutional capacities of its Special Operations Forces, National Guard, conventional forces, non-commissioned officer corps, and combat medical care since 2014.

Excess Defense Articles (EDA)

On February 20, 2022, the United States utilized the Excess Defense Articles program  to transfer Mi-17 helicopters to Ukraine.

Since 2018, the United States has provided Ukraine with four refitted U.S. Coast Guard Island-Class cutters.  The refit was funded with Ukrainian national funds and FMF.  Additional vessels are pending transfer.

Third Party Transfers (TPT)

In advance of Russia’s invasion and after the outbreak of war in February 2022, the United States approved Third Party Transfers from 14 NATO Allies and close partners to provide U.S.-origin equipment from their inventories for use by Ukrainian forces.  Deliveries to date include almost 12,000 anti-armor systems of all types; more than 1,550 anti-air missiles; radars; night vision devices; machine guns; rifles and ammunition; and body armor.  The contributions from our partners and Allies are vital and appreciated.

Foreign Military Sales

The United States has $595.9 million in active government-to-government sales cases with Ukraine under the Foreign Military Sales (FMS) system.  FMS sales notified to Congress are listed on the DSCA website  , and significant prior sales include the: 2022 sale of non-standard artillery ammunition;  2018 sale of 210 Javelin anti-armor missiles, which first provided Ukraine with a critical anti-armor capability; the 2019 sale of 150 additional Javelins; and the 2020 Mark VI patrol boats sale.  The Javelin sales were funded by a mixture of State Department FMF funds and Ukrainian national funds.

Direct Commercial Sales

From 2015 through 2020, the United States also authorized the permanent export of over $274 million in defense articles and services to Ukraine via Direct Commercial Sales (DCS).  The top categories of DCS exports to Ukraine during that period were Category III: Ammunition and Ordnance ($88 million); Category XII: Fire Control, Laser, Imaging, and Guidance Equipment, ($69 million); and Category XI: Military Electronics ($22 million).

Border Security

Since 2017, the Department of State’s Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation has provided over $34.8 million in Nonproliferation, Anti-terrorism, Demining, and Related Programs support to Ukraine through the Export Control and Border Security (EXBS) Program. The State Border Guard Service of Ukraine (SBGS) has been a primary recipient of EXBS assistance. EXBS also provided assistance to Ukraine Customs and export control and sanctions authorities. Until Russia’s full-scale invasion in 2022, a major focus of EXBS efforts was the development of SBGS’s Maritime Border Guard operational and sustainment capabilities to replace capabilities lost during Russia’s unlawful annexation of Crimea and introduce modernized equipment, training, and procedures. EXBS also provided advisory and equipment assistance for SBGS land border elements. Following Russia’s further invasion in February 2022, EXBS transitioned to providing non-lethal assistance and continued advisory support to the SBGS and other government partners. In addition, EXBS is also providing $6.9 million in regional NADR funding to support sanctions and export control implementation to respond to Russia’s aggression.

Conventional Weapons Destruction

On August 9, the Department announced its intention to provide $89 million of FY 2022 funding to help the Government of Ukraine address the urgent humanitarian challenges posed by explosive remnants of war created by Russia’s brutal war of aggression.  U.S. funding will deploy approximately 100 demining teams and will support a large-scale train and equip project to strengthen the Government of Ukraine’s demining and explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) capacity.

From 2004 to 2021, the United States provided more than $77.3 million to clear landmines and unexploded ordnance left by Russia’s forces and Russia’s proxies in the Donbas region, strengthen Ukraine’s demining capacity, and enhance security services’ capacity to manage weapons and ammunition stockpiles.  In 2021 alone, the U.S. government funded Conventional Weapons Destruction (CWD) programs that cleared and returned more than 1.9 million square meters (477 acres) of land to local communities that was previously contaminated with explosive hazards.  Since Russia’s further invasion, U.S.-funded digital explosive ordnance risk education campaigns have provided lifesaving information to more than 18 million people in Ukraine.  Additionally, Ukrainian demining authorities previously trained and equipped by the United States are leading emergency efforts to remediate the massive levels of explosive hazard contamination littered across the country by Russian forces.

Global Peacekeeping Operations

Ukraine was a significant troop contributor to United Nations peacekeeping operations before its troops were called home to defend Ukraine, including a helicopter unit to the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO).  Ukraine is also a partner country of the Global Peace Operations Initiative and has benefited from nearly $4 million in peace operations capacity-building assistance.

State Partnership Program

Ukraine is partnered with the California National Guard under DoD’s State Partnership Program (SPP)  .  Established in 1993, SPP’s goal was to assist former Warsaw Pact and Soviet states in their democracy efforts and to reform their defense forces following the Soviet Union’s collapse.  Over the past 29 years, California National Guard conducted regular military-to-military engagements with Ukrainian forces, contributing to Ukraine’s continued defense modernization.

Joint Exercises

Ukraine participates in multiple bilateral and multilateral military exercises with the United States, EU, and NATO Allies to include Rapid Trident, Sea Breeze, and Cossack Mace.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

And Putin is still in the driver’s seat. 

• Thanks 2

@CoffeeTigerLike I said, throw money at it.  The military exercises are a positive, it gives Putin something to think about, but winter is approaching fast.  Let’s see who blinks.

This *historian* is really laying it on thick.  Please tell be no one believes his message.

• Sad 1

Thanks Joe for your contribution to the Red Tsunami especially in Pennsylvania.

Do you think the people are buying what KJP is selling?

This guy is the best.  The man can’t keep his mind shut.  Can’t wait for KJP to walk this back.

15 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You continue to repeat a lie.  You are a liar.

Zelenskyy is about to blink.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, icanthearyou said:

What will Republicans do about inflation and the economy?

The Republicans are limited because they can't make policy decisions which are the main drivers of inflation and the economy.  The one MAJOR ability that a Republican majority will have is cutting Biden's reckless spending.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Zelenskyy is about to blink.

I understand that your enemy is democrats and, your ally is Putin.  Still, nothing in this war has gone in favor of Russia.  Yet, you continue to lie about it.

You're a real patriot.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I understand that your enemy is democrats and, your ally is Putin.  Still, nothing in this war has gone in favor of Russia.  Yet, you continue to lie about it.

You're a real patriot.

You assume a lot.  My enemy is anything that threatens America.  If Ukraine ends up negotiating a peace, which will allow Russia to save face and presumably give Russia more territory, will be the best outcome to ensure America isn’t drawn into some boots on the ground war.

If Zelenskyy is thinking about a negotiated peace, who blinked first?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

You assume a lot.  My enemy is anything that threatens America.  If Ukraine ends up negotiating a peace, which will allow Russia to save face and presumably give Russia more territory, will be the best outcome to ensure America isn’t drawn into some boots on the ground war.

If Zelenskyy is thinking about a negotiated peace, who blinked first?

Your message is clear.  You have no patriotism.  You are a liar.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, icanthearyou said:

Your message is clear.  You have no patriotism.  You are a liar.

Is it best to lie to yourself than look at reality?  What do you see as the end game and when will that happen?  Are you willing to finance Ukraine until the bitter end no matter how it ends?

Time to actually make a decision, not take the *Jesus is love* position. 

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is it best to lie to yourself than look at reality?  What do you see as the end game and when will that happen?  Are you willing to finance Ukraine until the bitter end no matter how it ends?

Time to actually make a decision, not take the *Jesus is love* position. 

I understand Putin is a Republican ally.  I understand you are not an American.  You are a Republican.

Please continue cheerleading for the Russia and the party.

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1