Chance Westry

Rednilla

I'm sure this has been discussed in here and I just never saw it, but why hasn't he been playing? I seem to remember there being an injury before the season, but I know he was on the floor briefly... was the injury aggravated? Or is he just going to redshirt this season?

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I'm sure this has been discussed in here and I just never saw it, but why hasn't he been playing? I seem to remember there being an injury before the season, but I know he was on the floor briefly... was the injury aggravated? Or is he just going to redshirt this season?

His injury is the main reason, from what I understand. Pearl said today that he was a candidate to redshirt.

• Like 1

Well, in his few appearances early in the season, he didn't accomplish much. But I attribute that to his injury and inability to practice much with the team as a result. He has a real upside, so a redshirt certainly makes sense. We'll definitely need him next season.

Quite honestly, I'm guessing that the injury is a bigger deal than I was led to believe pre-season, because I find it difficult to believe he wouldn't be able to add anything to the team if he were 100%, and I'd be rather surprised if he's still around when what would be his redshirt senior season rolls around. I mean, I don't know, maybe I'm putting too high of expectations on the young man, but based on what I'd heard about him, I kinda figured it was unlikely he'd be around past next season when we were coming into this one.

Of course, that having been said, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he still wasn't around past next season. A 6'6 guard with his athleticism and two years in Bruce's defensive system could be a hot commodity if he comes back strong.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Quite honestly, I'm guessing that the injury is a bigger deal than I was led to believe pre-season, because I find it difficult to believe he wouldn't be able to add anything to the team if he were 100%.........

I saw an Interview with Bruce and he was asked about Westry.  He said he would most likely redshirt.   He said his  injury is healed enough he COULD play in an emergency (other players get injured and he has to play)   But Bruce doesn't want to put him out there in the middle of the heated SEC  season against  very experienced players he would face with a knee that may distract him &  with such little college  experience.   The SEC players would eat his inexperience alive.   He said it wouldn't be fair to Westry or the team.   

He said all of that  more eloquently than I did,  but you get the point.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I saw an Interview with Bruce and he was asked about Westry.  He said he would most likely redshirt.   He said his  injury is healed enough he COULD play in an emergency (other players get injured and he has to play)   But Bruce doesn't want to put him out there in the middle of the heated SEC  season against  very experienced players he would face with a knee that may distract him &  with such little college  experience.   The SEC players would eat his inexperience alive.   He said it wouldn't be fair to Westry or the team.   

He said all of that  more eloquently than I did,  but you get the point.

Ah, yeah, I suppose that does make sense. And no reason to shake his confidence unnecessarily when we really don't have so much of a need for him due to the depth on the team (and the presence of Allen Flanigan). I'm just so excited to see him get going... but this isn't a wasted year, because he's still with the team and building that chemistry, even if it's not on the court during games. And, honestly, like I said, I don't see him playing at Auburn for 4 seasons, because I feel pretty sure the NBA's going to be calling long before he gets that far, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if he were forced into action this season.

Man, how nice is it to have the luxury of not forcing the issue with a player of Chance's caliber and still have legitimate aspirations for a deep run in March/April? I just feel like we'd be at a different level as a team if he'd never been bothered by the injury and been able to play from the beginning.

• Like 1

^^^what inthecorner said.  During one Tiger talk a few weeks back, Bruce addressed this.  Also said that this summer that westry was probably the best guard on the team.  

59 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

westry was probably the best guard on the team.

That's what I had been led to believe, and I was hoping/expecting him to be the X-factor for us this season. Oh well.

9 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That's what I had been led to believe, and I was hoping/expecting him to be the X-factor for us this season. Oh well.

As was stated, and your assumption is spot on. Pearl basically said exactly what you assumed. The way Pearl described it was a mutual agreement. At the time he didn’t mention anything about the red shirt, but was decisive that he was basically shutting him down for the season. The injury is fine, but did set him back as far as preparation at the most critical time for it. 

Now it makes total sense with the red shirt being in play!!  Reading the original article and how decisive Pearl was. It just didn’t make sense. I was like what if we are up by 20. Well we’ll make that 30 lol. He could get some pt then. But not worth burning a red shirt!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

. But not worth burning a red shirt!!

Burning a redshirt only matters if the player is going to be at AU for his fifth college season. Does anybody think Westry will play at AU through five years? I don't. It's more easy to buy Pearl's statement that Westry simply isn't ready to compete in the SEC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Burning a redshirt only matters if the player is going to be at AU for his fifth college season. Does anybody think Westry will play at AU through five years? I don't. It's more easy to buy Pearl's statement that Westry simply isn't ready to compete in the SEC.

I’m confused  So are we to believe that he is not ready for SEC play, and cannot benefit from and extra year of eligibility??  Those two statements don’t add up. If he is not ready for SEC play. He would need the extra year.   🤷‍♂️ 

My point was Pearl stating that he was gonna shut him down the whole time he is praising him didn’t add up to me.  I was glad to hear that Pearl is gonna try and red shirt him. That would make sense as a reason to shut him down.  Matter of fact, that is the only reason you would shut a player’s season short.  Period!!  We could be winning or losing by fifty in a game.  There would be absolutely no reason to not play a kid in that situation  Unless you didn’t want to burn a red shirt!!  

Edit:  after rereading your statement. I agree he won’t be at AU for a 5th year, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be still playing college ball. Look at Flan as an example. 3 yrs ago who would’ve thought he would still be at AU? Flan is actually the reason we have the luxury of Red shirting Chance. 

Edited by TXaubie

22 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

’m confused  So are we to believe that he is not ready for SEC play, and cannot benefit from and extra year of eligibility??  Those two statements don’t add up. If he is not ready for SEC play. He would need the extra year

I think pearl is saying playing  true freshman with no experience playing in his first game AND in the SEC is not a good thing.   He is not ready for the SEC yet. He has not seen some of the advanced moves that will be put on him by the experienced players.  He needs some PT when the games are not as important,  and the competition is a bit lower before taking on a 3 year SEC starter for your first real game experience.   He would get burned and it could burn the team in just a play or two vs SEC competition.

Could he help?  probably.    Is it worth the risk to his confidence, the team, his knee?  Probably not.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 1

The Westry stuff makes no sense based on how much the staff was hyping him and what we saw in Israel.  There is more going on…remember, it was a minor injury.

Also heard that his dad said he was dealing with depression.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Unless I am looking at the wrong guy he is stretching.  I could very well be looking at the wrong guy though but I am not sure who else that would be.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The Westry stuff makes no sense based on how much the staff was hyping him and what we saw in Israel.  There is more going on…remember, it was a minor injury.

I heard/read somewhere it was a reoccurring injury.  With the type of injury it is, the surgery should help but it will need a ton of rest, proper rehab and strength building. 

Dealing with an injury is depressing.   I imagine he is depressed.

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Why must there always be "more going on". Bruce literally addressed what the issue was. We all saw how Flan was when he came back last year from his injury. He was terrible. Mentally and physically. Chance was great during the summer. Missed all of fall practice and Bruce said he really miscalculated bringing him back into the fold too quickly and also in too many different positions so he couldn't settle in. And wouldn't be surprised if he's depressed. His mom did pass away. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Why must there always be "more going on". Bruce literally addressed what the issue was. We all saw how Flan was when he came back last year from his injury. He was terrible. Mentally and physically. Chance was great during the summer. Missed all of fall practice and Bruce said he really miscalculated bringing him back into the fold too quickly and also in too many different positions so he couldn't settle in. And wouldn't be surprised if he's depressed. His mom did pass away. 

I can’t answer why there “always” has to be more going on…I don’t know of the other infinity issues going on in the world.

BTW, no sign of Cardwell yet.

Westry had a preseason knee surgery and I think some of his issues have stemmed from that.  I know I have heard Pearl talk about it.  

Sounds like he is going to be a medical redshirt.