Auburn Basketball....the good old days

AU64

were not that long ago.  War Bloggle has a great little video from 1999 when AU was a national power in basketball. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K_M8xCVFKrE.

As they note...it wasn't that long ago and there is no reason it can not happen again.

:thumbsup:

One thing that I remember the most about that year(s) was the crazy fans that were at the game. I remember watching AU on TV wishing I was there. I also remember a huge brick they were bouncing around in the student and yelling "air ball" for about 2 min after the other team shot an air ball..... great stuff.

We will get there, it will take some time we are on the right track with CTB and we also need the students to look at some old AU basketball footage and step up to the challenge.

Ahh memories. This clip should be used as a recruiting tool to show what happens when an Auburn team puts a winning product on the floor. I know the crowds were great at some games this year, but man that was nuts.

Great times, too bad the "good ole days" were only 2 seasons.  :laugh:

Well, while I was at AU in the mid-80's we also fronted some pretty good teams.  I'm beyond frustrated that it's been over a decade since Auburn has been competitive.  I really hope things change over the next couple of years.

Great times, too bad the "good ole days" were only 2 seasons.  :laugh:

Well, while I was at AU in the mid-80's we also fronted some pretty good teams.  I'm beyond frustrated that it's been over a decade since Auburn has been competitive.  I really hope things change over the next couple of years.

No doubt, Sonny had some awesome teams. I was referring specifically to the point of this thread and of the video though. The Doc/Porter/ Dou time period.

I seem to remember that when Sonny Smith left Auburn it was with bad feelings.  But I think I remember recently seeing a broadcast where he was present and was hoping for good things for AU basketball.  Am I totally off the mark or does anyone else remember seeing this?

WDE

At one time AU was going to let Sonny go after the season but AU won the SEC tourney, won 4 straight games, so AU had no choice but to bring him back. Left a bad feelings for Sonny who let go a few years later.

At one time AU was going to let Sonny go after the season but AU won the SEC tourney, won 4 straight games, so AU had no choice but to bring him back. Left a bad feelings for Sonny who let go a few years later.

Kinda like the way they screwed things up with Tubs.  He was building a pretty strong team and after jetgate he never was the same person. Seemed to have given up and was just going thru the motions.

I will be glad when bubba louder is out of the picture.

I remember some decent teams.  I think we made it to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 in 84 or 85.

Some AUBURN basketball names to remember:

Sir Charles

Mike Mitchell

Chuck Person

Wesley Person

Sad, but that's all I can think of at midnight.  C'mon people, add names to the list.

Kinda like the way they screwed things up with Tubs.  He was building a pretty strong team and after jetgate he never was the same person. Seemed to have given up and was just going thru the motions.

I will be glad when bubba louder is out of the picture.

...While you're right that it killed Tubs' drive, at the time of Jetgate, he had 36 wins with one game left in his fifth season. Now, he won the Iron Bowl and that year's bowl game to get to 38, but that's 7.6 wins per season. After Jetgate, he won 42 games in the next four seasons (or 10.5 games per season). Looking at it in that light, it's pretty easy to understand why he got the treatment he did, even if they did go about it in the wrong way.

I remember some decent teams.  I think we made it to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 in 84 or 85.

Sir Charles

Mike Mitchell

Chuck Person

Wesley Person

Sad, but that's all I can think of at midnight.  C'mon people, add names to the list.

Chris Morris, Frank Ford, Gerald White, and Jeff Moore

Red, you are right on target.  Tubs was no good until jet gate happened.  Was never the same after Borges left.  I was at AU during round mound era.  Good teams with chuck and Co.

• 2 weeks later...

Sir Charles

Mike Mitchell

Chuck Person

Wesley Person

Other names from further back right after we built a new Arena.

Eddie Johnson

Henry Harris

John Mengelt

Bill Alexander

We have been good a few different times in the past now we need to turn the corner get back near the top and stay there.

I remember jumping around the house that year while watching the games...I was about 12 and my brother had just moved to Auburn. Really good seeing that footage!

Sir Charles

Mike Mitchell

Chuck Person

Wesley Person

Other names from further back right after we built a new Arena.

Eddie Johnson

Henry Harris

John Mengelt

Bill Alexander

We have been good a few different times in the past now we need to turn the corner get back near the top and stay there.

Mike Mitchell, Damyune Fishback, Scott Pohlman (Fr and Soph years especially), Doc Robinson, Myles Patrick, Pepto Bolden (led the SEC in rebounding his Freshman year) are a few others I can remember.

Let's see:  po-devil Hart,  Billy Tinker, Layton Johns....those were the days.  :thumbsup:

Let's see:  po-devil Hart,   Billy Tinker, Layton Johns....those were the days.   :thumbsup:

Henry po-devil hart was one of the first great Au basketball players. I am good friends with his family.

Let's see:  po-devil Hart,   Billy Tinker, Layton Johns....those were the days.   :thumbsup:

Henry po-devil hart was one of the first great Au basketball players. I am good friends with his family.

He sure was. He was the fakeiest guy I ever saw. Of course, he had some really good team mates too, such as Rex Fredrick, Jimmy Fibbe, Jimmy Lee, etc. That was the best basketball I ever saw at Auburn. Those were indeed the days.

Archived