PSU SANCTIONS AND PATERNO

Elephant Tipper

Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?   

134 members have voted

1. 1. Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?

• Yes
    • No

am i the only person in the world that thinks if the right things were done in the very beginning that it would not have been that much of a rukus? i mean you see on the news one day that an accusation was made against a former coach the school/paterno called the sherriff, police chief, or state to report and ask for a investigation then in 3 or 4 months it dies down and 10 years later no one outside of the big 10 even remembers it. i think our society has figured out(not accepted the behavior but knows it happens) pedaphiles exist and dont blame the people who happen to be associated with them if they didnt know about it. the cover up was awful but i think unnessessary.

You may be right... I think the one factor that may have made it blow up, no matter what, is that the abuse took place in the football facilities.  There would be a lot of questions as to how a child could have ended up alone, in the showers, with a coach.

And it wasn't just any coach. Jerry Sandusky was, and had been for a long time, Joe Patrino's right hand man and was on target to replace Patrino when he retired, which was expect to be about when this happened.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

am i the only person in the world that thinks if the right things were done in the very beginning that it would not have been that much of a ruckus? i mean you see on the news one day that an accusation was made against a former coach the school/paterno called the sheriff, police chief, or state to report and ask for a investigation then in 3 or 4 months it dies down and 10 years later no one outside of the big 10 even remembers it. i think our society has figured out(not accepted the behavior but knows it happens) pedaphiles exist and don't blame the people who happen to be associated with them if they didn't know about it. the cover up was awful but i think unnecessary.

I wish Joe Pa had lived to show them what a real ruckus is when he could have and should have been facing criminals charges. A religious, "leader" and I use that term grudgingly, was sentenced yesterday in Pennsylvania to 6 years in prison for the EXACT same thing paterno did. THE EXACT SAME THING.

All either one of them had to do was REPORT it. You know, it is known as doing the right thing. Penn state has problems, no one caused those problems except the people at Penn State. Deal with it.

okay...you've made your point (numerous times).  The real problem that most have with the penalties is that your punishing those at PSU now and not the ones that participated in the coverup.  Besides, possibly Curly, has anyone else even been charged with a crime to go through the real "judicial system."

Additionally, you seem to take the Freeh report as the gospel to incriminate JoePa.  Personally, I won't attack the deceased because he's not here to defend himself and respond to these accusations.  

No argument that the Freeh Report was/is the joker in the deck with all this. Wisely or not, PSU commissioned, paid for that report, gave up any right to edit or challenge it, and agreed to use its findings as PSU's account of what happened. It is what it is, it is the definitive account, and rightly or wrongly, at this point I don't think anyone can effectively challenge it or change it... unless it is done in court by a defendant in a criminal trial or civil lawsuit.

I would agree that innocent people are punished for this and  always are in these situations.  No matter what the ruling was innocent people would have suffered some.  I feel bad for those that do punished undeservidly but it is avoidable.  If it was just some huge fine like 500 million or more then the football team could have resumed and the fans would be happy but what happens when the school then could not afford surtain other programs or had to raise tuition? Someone else who is even further out of the loop would then be hurt. There is no easy way to do this but it had to be done.  I do not agree that the NCAA should be allowed to do this without some type of hearing or committee but they had to punish Penn State  and the punishment must fit the crime. And remember this is not just about Penn State but about the NCAA as a whole. This is a warning that this will never happen again. I hope the NCAA does not go power hungry but they had to make a strong statement that covering crimes of any kind can not be tolerated.    

As Auburn fans we whine, yes whine, about Bammer getting away with so much crap and dream of the day the NCAA comes down on them with the death penalty, but how can we hope for that, even if it is football related, and not be glad they punished the raping of innocents. These are people who had there lives possibly ruined not football games won by cheating. Which is more important to you?

am i the only person in the world that thinks if the right things were done in the very beginning that it would not have been that much of a ruckus? i mean you see on the news one day that an accusation was made against a former coach the school/paterno called the sheriff, police chief, or state to report and ask for a investigation then in 3 or 4 months it dies down and 10 years later no one outside of the big 10 even remembers it. i think our society has figured out(not accepted the behavior but knows it happens) pedaphiles exist and don't blame the people who happen to be associated with them if they didn't know about it. the cover up was awful but i think unnecessary.

I wish Joe Pa had lived to show them what a real ruckus is when he could have and should have been facing criminals charges. A religious, "leader" and I use that term grudgingly, was sentenced yesterday in Pennsylvania to 6 years in prison for the EXACT same thing paterno did. THE EXACT SAME THING.

All either one of them had to do was REPORT it. You know, it is known as doing the right thing. Penn state has problems, no one caused those problems except the people at Penn State. Deal with it.

okay...you've made your point (numerous times).  The real problem that most have with the penalties is that your punishing those at PSU now and not the ones that participated in the coverup.  Besides, possibly Curly, has anyone else even been charged with a crime to go through the real "judicial system."

Additionally, you seem to take the Freeh report as the gospel to incriminate JoePa.  Personally, I won't attack the deceased because he's not here to defend himself and respond to these accusations.  

No argument that the Freeh Report was/is the joker in the deck with all this. Wisely or not, PSU commissioned, paid for that report, gave up any right to edit or challenge it, and agreed to use its findings as PSU's account of what happened. It is what it is, it is the definitive account, and rightly or wrongly, at this point I don't think anyone can effectively challenge it or change it... unless it is done in court by a defendant in a criminal trial or civil lawsuit.

Why would you not believe the Freeh report?

Innocent people are often hurt by the actions of others. You can look at any number of financial scandals over the last few years and many lower level employees are no longer employed through no fault of their own. It isn't pleasant, but it is a fact of how things can and often do work out.

I've made the same point numerous times? Really?.....As have most of the people posting in this thread, including you.

Considering the subject matter, for the most part it has been civil and has surprisingly remained an open thread.

The simple fact that PSU accepted what was handed down to them should demonstrate how much they thought the sanctions were appropriate and want to move on.  How many innocent people accept punishment? How many guilty for that matter? Life in prison beats the death penalty and the guilty usually realize this.

Ignore the lessons learned from Watergate at your own peril.

I don't think anyone has attacked that scum bag, most have been pretty conservitive with their comments about him. He went to his death bed defending himself and his actions all the while chanting "we are penn state" He got out easy, I wish he was still alive so he could be dragged behind a team of horses.

Innocent people are often hurt by the actions of others. You can look at any number of financial scandals over the last few years and many lower level employees are no longer employed through no fault of their own. It isn't pleasant, but it is a fact of how things can and often do work out.

I've made the same point numerous times? Really?.....As have most of the people posting in this thread, including you.

Considering the subject matter, for the most part it has been civil and has surprisingly remained an open thread.

This has been a pretty good discussion with differing views respecting each others opinions. Kudos to us for that. :)

Apples and oranges.  The effects of the financial scandals upon the "innocent" shares no such comparison, but rather being a collection of numerous events, none of which could be pointed to as a controlled, measured judgment by any single authority.  The NCAA action was a calculated punitive measure by a single monolithic authority, the NCAA, which will directly affect thousands of innocent individuals, and in the future may be pointed to as the cause of their problems, financial, otherwise.  The judicial system would hold those accountable thereby leaving the innocent unaffected.  The NCAA's action has unilaterally and indiscriminately penalized the innocent when such could have EASILY been avoided if they allowed the judicial system to complete its actions, but they had to hurry their efforts along instead of being cautious by waiting.  Those innocent parties will have their livelihoods affected, possibly forever.  You've casually and avoidably allowed the innocent to suffer the wrongs of others by the NCAA action.

Remind me again who the guilty parties that are affected by this NCAA judgment ?  Sandusky ?  No.  Paterno ?  No.  The 3-4 creeps who covered up the crime ?  No.  Those were the perpetrators.  The judicial system is actively prosecuting them thereby holding them accountable.  Who else at PSU was involved ?  No one as the Freeh report finds.  This whole NCAA action is a farce.

I have no doubt that you feel that way.  :laugh:

I also have no doubt that PSU is going to suffer this penalty no matter any opinion anyone of us holds. We get to express them and they will have no effect whatsoever on what has happened or what will happen.

You are free to consider it, apples and oranges. Others are free to consider it as they choose. Opinion is one thing and the accepted penalty is another. For better or worse, like or dislike, it is now in effect.  All the board rant and unhappiness in the world isn't going to change a thing.

You happen to think it doesn't share a comparision and I think it does. From a person being displaced through no action of their own doing, point of view.

Agree or disagree, that is how I feel. Nothing I say will change your mind other than just being a debate. Nothing you say will change my mind.

The simple fact that PSU accepted what was handed down to them should demonstrate how much they thought the sanctions were appropriate and want to move on.  How many innocent people accept punishment? How many guilty for that matter? Life in prison beats the death penalty and the guilty usually realize this.

From what the PSU Pres. has said, Emmert threatened him with "If you don't sign off on this, with no appeal, I could give you up to four years of the death penalty". It sounds like the PSU Pres. was strong armed by Emmert on this one.

I have no doubt that you feel that way.  :laugh:

I also have no doubt that PSU is going to suffer this penalty no matter any opinion anyone of us holds. We get to express them and they will have no effect whatsoever on what has happened or what will happen.

You are free to consider it, apples and oranges. Others are free to consider it as they choose. Opinion is one thing and the accepted penalty is another. For better or worse, like or dislike, it is now in effect.  All the board rant and unhappiness in the world isn't going to change a thing.

You happen to think it doesn't share a comparision and I think it does. From a person being displaced through no action of their own doing, point of view.

Agree or disagree, that is how I feel. Nothing I say will change your mind other than just being a debate. Nothing you say will change my mind.

Thank you for your gracious condescension by allowing me to consider whether your example is apropos.  Your attitude is at least consistently demeaning.

Your casual comments show that you really don't care about those who are innocent being affected, not a bit of care.  And, most importantly, you don't even address the facts that I presented, that those who are truly guilty are not affected AT ALL by the NCAA's judgment.  You conveniently overlook those issues.

You say, "Opinion is one thing and the accepted penalty is another.  For better or worse, like or dislike, it is now in effect.  All the board rant and unhappiness in the world isn't going to change a thing." You blithely :laugh: dismiss the consequences of these events.  What judgments were passed by the NCAA upon PSU could easily happen at AU, without redress, but you show no concern about the repercussions of this self-expansive authority the NCAA has granted itself and executed upon PSU.  Instead, "Let them eat cake" is your attitude, just damn the whole PSU institution.  How telling, tiger.

My conviction is that most everyone on this board wants the wrongs righted and the guilty punished at PSU and the judicial system is the appropriate avenue for such, not in an office of NCAA bureaucrats.  Even in the pursuit of justice the criminal court system at least tries to avoid affecting the innocent, but that lack of follow through has not bothered the NCAA in the least, nor does such seem to concern you.

What should the NCAA have done ?  Something similar to the following:

1) Wait for the courts to complete the criminal prosecutions.  Instead the NCAA has rushed ahead with its judgment when instead it could have gained more complete information from the judicial process.  Neither the NCAA nor the Freeh Report have subpoena power.  The courts do, and possibly much more information could have been garnered, possibly not, but exhaustive information would have been obtained.  The rush to judgment has unfolded before our very eyes when "caution" should have been the byword.  Why the rush ?  The offending parties were long gone.

2) Even if the NCAA did not wait for the courts they could have simply stated something to the effect,

"We deplore the events at PSU and want to at least begin actions to deter events like these in the future.  a. We will fine the institution $ 60,000,000, b. have Paterno's name and image removed, and c. those involved must return their salaries/pensions to the university.  Once the courts have completed their work we will revisit this issue to determine if additional actions are required."  This salary/pension action is one potential punitive measure the NCAA could have enforced upon the ACTUAL criminals.  But, noooooo, everyone is okay with the NCAA punishing the football team.  You know those boys reaallly had something to do with Sandusky's coverup.

3) "Removal of all remaining involved personnel."  Which PSU has done.  The football program was set aright before the NCAA action.

4) "Set aside $ 10,000,000 for counseling and assistance for those harmed parties."  (those affected at PSU by Sandusky do not receive any of the $60 million judgment......that's just wrong.  Instead the NCAA has chosen to give to other shelters for sexual abuse.  They are blind to the REAL victims).  Instead, the NCAA chose to let the courts handle those measures.  How convenient for them to mete out their justice.

But you and so many others who posted in this thread show no concern for those innocent individuals affected and are okay with the "strong-arm" tactics of the NCAA.  The attitude you demonstrate is "Meh.  Damn them all, they are Penn State".  Instead you are okay with uprooting 100+ players and allowing the community's vendors be financially starved and a local economy wrecked, all in the pursuit of a vague justice.  Such an attitude is one of weak-mindedness.  Your sense of fairness is certainly one way and demeaning to the actual victims who gain no results from the NCAA action.  Again the victims are victimized.  How telling that you are okay with that, tiger.

Wow, you can look into my heart and truly read it. Quite a skill. If you had it.

People are going to have differing opinions, you can either work with that or not. I'm good.

Elephant... have you ever considered that what the NCAA did was actually of benefit to some of the "innocent victims".  By dropping the hammer, they gave players at PSU who may want to distance themselves from the dark cloud that is going to hang over the school a way out.  One that they would not otherwise be afforded had the NCAA left it to the courts.  

As for other innocent victims... who's getting hurt?  The coaches have contracts, so they are still getting paid, and they get some breathing room to rebuild a program that was under the same leadership for far too long.  The fans, those who haven't jumped ship still get to watch their team play, they just can't win anything more than games for a few years (boo hoo).  

The only argument I see is the school itself getting punished and I still stand by the fact that, to keep something like this quite for so long and continue letting it happen... they deserve it.  I'm sure there were a lot more people who knew something that aren't ever going to face a judge.

I do agree, whole heartedly, that the fine should go tot the benefit of the families directly effected by the crime.

Well, this is certainly interesting...

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8199905/penn-state-nittany-lions-rodney-erickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

Highlights:

1. PSU was facing a 4 year Death Penalty

2. PSU's president signed the papers that gave up PSU's right to fight the penalties

3. PSU's president did not consult with the board of trustees

4. Some board of trustees members are now contending PSU's president did not have the authority to sign the papers essentially agreeing to the penalties and giving up PSU's right to challenge them. They are looking at options to overturn and potentially fight back.

So, PSU did not really agree to the Freeh report findings or the NCAA penalties. Their president did, but only due to the threat of a 4 year death penalty and much larger fines. And he did not consult the majority of the board of trustees either.

Elephant... have you ever considered that what the NCAA did was actually of benefit to some of the "innocent victims".  By dropping the hammer, they gave players at PSU who may want to distance themselves from the dark cloud that is going to hang over the school a way out.  One that they would not otherwise be afforded had the NCAA left it to the courts.  

As for other innocent victims... who's getting hurt?  The coaches have contracts, so they are still getting paid, and they get some breathing room to rebuild a program that was under the same leadership for far too long.  The fans, those who haven't jumped ship still get to watch their team play, they just can't win anything more than games for a few years (boo hoo).  

The only argument I see is the school itself getting punished and I still stand by the fact that, to keep something like this quite for so long and continue letting it happen... they deserve it.  I'm sure there were a lot more people who knew something that aren't ever going to face a judge.

I do agree, whole heartedly, that the fine should go tot the benefit of the families directly effected by the crime.

The answer to your question as posted by Effy a few pages back.  

"Penn State Football Video: Players Reaffirm Their Commitment to Program"

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-football-video-players-reaffirm-their-commitment-to-program-1098534/

PSU does deserve stiff punishment, but you don't think $60,000,000, removing the whole staff, removing JP's statue, expunging his record for the past decade is enough ?  You want the players to pay for the sins of others ?  You're okay with that ?  You're okay with young men who placed their future at PSU having THEIR work wiped away ?  You want to deny them of scholarships ?  What does that accomplish ?  They didn't do a thing.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8199905/penn-state-nittany-lions-rodney-erickson-said-school-faced-4-year-death-penalty

Highlights:

2. PSU's president signed the papers that gave up PSU's right to fight the penalties

4. Some board of trustees members are now contending PSU's president did not have the authority to sign the papers essentially agreeing to the penalties and giving up PSU's right to challenge them. They are looking at options to overturn and potentially fight back.

So, PSU did not really agree to the Freeh report findings or the NCAA penalties. Their president did, but only due to the threat of a 4 year death penalty and much larger fines. And he did not consult the majority of the board of trustees either.

Exactly.  ONE person, the president, cast his vote against PSU and did not even consult the board.

Wow, you can look into my heart and truly read it. Quite a skill. If you had it.

People are going to have differing opinions, you can either work with that or not. I'm good.

Figures.  Go hide !

Figures. 

I don't hide, as you so kindly first posted then changed. I owe you no explantion for anything I have as an opinion or anything else for that matter. You can be happy with what I've posted or not. A wise man once said, " A man is mostly as happy as he makes up his mind to be." You can choose anything you like. It never ceases to amaze me the reponse of some on this board when others have a differing opinion.

No one is under any agreement of any kind to only consider your version of a "right" NCAA decision the right one. It is simply your opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wasn't rude to you, wasn't condescending to you and your thinking it is the only thing that makes it so in your world. I'm unconcerned with your opinion of that.

Highlights:

Exactly.  ONE person, the president, cast his vote against PSU and did not even consult the board.

I agree, not saying it has never happened, but I never heard of a president agreeing to a $60 million ANYTHING without a vote of the BOT. If I were on the BOT and he did that without consulting the entire BOT, HIS job would be in Jeopardy.

Also, can someone help me, I am trying to think of an example where a "NON-GOVERMENT" entity ever levied a fine this large, or even close, on anyone?

In this case, we had a non government entity essentially fining the state*.  The NCAA levied what is, in essence, a $60 million tax on the people of PA for the criminal activity of three people.

* For the purpose of 14th amendement related/based litigation, PSU is considered "the state".  

Highlights:

You certainly have a flare for words. The PSU president is in a tough spot and is doing what he thinks is best, he is not trying to sell PSU down the river without a paddle. FWIW, the PSU board of trustees is considered to be part of the problem/culture that was in place that did not enough by some, including the Freeh Report... I think.  I believe the chairman of the board resigned and it would not be too surprising if the rest of the board was forced out before too long.

Highlights:

You certainly have a flare for words. The PSU president is in a tough spot and is doing what he thinks is best, he is not trying to sell PSU down the river without a paddle. FWIW, the PSU board of trustees is considered to be part of the problem/culture that was in place that did not enough by some, including the Freeh Report... I think.  I believe the chairman of the board resigned and it would not be too surprising if the rest of the board was forced out before too long.

I'm perfectly okay with the board being turned over, in fact, this is the exact same point I made several pages earlier, that the board is a problem and living in denial.  Regardless, the president is to consult with his board.  He didn't even do that.  Would you be okay with President Gogue doing the same at AU ?  I wouldn't.

So far as the players and the extended community, both innocent in this debacle, are paying a price that truly could have been averted.  Why exactly must they pay for what others did ?  $60million in fines plus the other measures took care of the guilty yet the bill at the end of dinner is handed to the young men and extended community.

The answer to your question as posted by Effy a few pages back.  

"Penn State Football Video: Players Reaffirm Their Commitment to Program"

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/penn-state-football-video-players-reaffirm-their-commitment-to-program-1098534/

PSU does deserve stiff punishment, but you don't think $60,000,000, removing the whole staff, removing JP's statue, expunging his record for the past decade is enough ?  You want the players to pay for the sins of others ?  You're okay with that ?  You're okay with young men who placed their future at PSU having THEIR work wiped away ?  You want to deny them of scholarships ?  What does that accomplish ?  They didn't do a thing.

All taking away the wins does is remove Joe Pa's record for the books... it does nothing to the players work.  Just ask any school who's had their wins vacated... it's a meaningless gesture.  The NCAA just didn't want Joe Pa to have the record for the most wins as a coach.

Again, I argue that the NCAA is providing players with options that they wouldn't otherwise have.  Two have already taken that option.  I know if I were a player, I wouldn't be comfortable playing there anymore, even without he loss of bowl games, and if I had a son player there, I'd want him to transfer.  The NCAA would not have been able to allow the free transfer without leveling penalties that made it necessary.

Also, no one currently on the team is being denied a scholarship.  

It kind of sounds like you have a personal axe to grind in this whole thing.

Archived