PSU SANCTIONS AND PATERNO

Elephant Tipper

Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?   

134 members have voted

1. 1. Is the coverup by the PSU admisitration of the Sandusky matter Lack of Institutional Control?

• Yes
    • No

NCAA levying a $60M fine is scary to me.  So who gets the money?  And don't answer, "deserving groups that do good things for children".    IMO this is a huge "reward our friends" fund and the scam artists will be standing in line with their hands out.  I mean, under any other circumstance, Sandusky's  Second Mile organization would be a prime recipient.   

Again, just my view but NCAA is supposed to be in the business of monitoring / regulatiing college sports...not deciding which charitable organization is worthy of receiving PSU's money.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who did they punish:

PSU, the entire student body, all the alumni, about 1 million or so fans for 10 or so years. All people who had no control over the situation and no benefit or possible benefit from the rule violation.

Who did they NOT punish?  The criminals.

This in no way hurts Paterno, Sandusky, or any of  the other people who have already been fired and or are about to be prosecuted.

I agree with what someone else said, this is not a deterrence. Criminals and potential criminals are not hurt by this. A 60 million dollar fine,  4 year bowl ban, and recruiting restrictions do not do any more damage to the reputations of the people who have already been fired and are about to be prosecuted. It certainly does not hurt those that go to jail.

If people who hide child molesters are not deterred by years in jail, they certainly are not going to be deterred by a bowl ban.

This was a political and public opinion hanging. This is vengeance, it is wanting to make some entity pay for what truly was a heinous crime, without real regard as to  WHO they make pay, just as long as SOMEONE pays.

That is all well and good as long as you are not the entity who has to suffer for the crimes of another. Just remember, if they can do it to these innocent people (students, fans, alumni), they can also do it to you.

I don't know if the intention was to punish the students and fans, but Emmert did say that one of the goals of this punishment was to change the culture of college football. And while the students and fans did not contribute directly to the coverup of the administration, let's face it; it is the culture of hero worship in college football that influences decisions of admins and fans alike.

It is just my humble opinion that this punishment at PSU IS as much for the fans as it is for the school's administration. All those students and others who were outraged over removing Paterno's statue probably need to rethink their priorities and values in regard to football.

And, honestly, there are many fan bases who need to do some re-prioritizing.

Is it the NCAA's responsibility to do this? I don't know, but it certainly needs to be done.

Who did they punish:

PSU, the entire student body, all the alumni, about 1 million or so fans for 10 or so years. All people who had no control over the situation and no benefit or possible benefit from the rule violation.

This in no way hurts Paterno, Sandusky, or any of  the other people who have already been fired and or are about to be prosecuted.

I agree with what someone else said, this is not a deterrence. Criminals and potential criminals are not hurt by this. A 60 million dollar fine,  4 year bowl ban, and recruiting restrictions do not do any more damage to the reputations of the people who have already been fired and are about to be prosecuted. It certainly does not hurt those that go to jail.

If people who hide child molesters are not deterred by years in jail, they certainly are not going to be deterred by a bowl ban.

This was a political and public opinion hanging. This is vengeance, it is wanting to make some entity pay for what truly was a heinous crime, without real regard as to  WHO they make pay, just as long as SOMEONE pays.

That is all well and good as long as you are not the entity who has to suffer for the crimes of another. Just remember, if they can do it to these innocent people, they can also do it to you.

You make good points rockford, that those who are the criminals are not punished by the NCAA's actions, although one is dead, another incarcerated and the others have yet to be tried.  The argument I made earlier is that those who covered up Sandusky's crimes should have been tried by the courts before the NCAA passed judgment on PSU.  Greater clarity would have been provided and support given by the public.

The NCAA has always punished institutions for what individuals representing, acting on behalf of, or acting to benefit that institution did.  That is no different here.  The innocent get punished routinely when the NCAA dishes out punishments.

You're missing this point, the guilty who remain in this cover-up are not being punished and can't be touched by the NCAA.  That is about 3-4 more individuals for whom the innocent must pay.  Unfortunately the NCAA is acting too quickly on this matter with broad brush strokes and with standards of proof that are of a lower standard than the judicial system.  

NCAA levying a $60M fine is scary to me.  So who gets the money?  And don't answer, "deserving groups that do good things for children".    IMO this is a huge "reward our friends" fund and the scam artists will be standing in line with their hands out.   I mean, under any other circumstance, Sandusky's  Second Mile organization would be a prime recipient.   

Again, just my view but NCAA is supposed to be in the business of monitoring / regulatiing college sports...not deciding which charitable organization is worthy of receiving PSU's money.

That's another major concern I have as well AU64.  What checks and balances are there in this fine ?  The schools are hamstrung as to resolution of disputes with the NCAA.

^^^^^

This!!!! Can't believe the NCAA has just become law enforcement agency, a distribution house for charitable contributions. Pandora's box has truly been opened. Where this one ends only God knows. This has to be nipped in the bud right now, as Barney would say. Emmert has overstepped his bounds. Drunk with power. This ain't good folks.

^^^^^

This!!!! Can't believe the NCAA has just become law enforcement agency, a distribution house for charitable contributions. Pandora's box has truly been opened. Where this one ends only God knows. This has to be nipped in the bud right now, as Barney would say. Emmert has overstepped his bounds. Drunk with power. This ain't good folks.

Emmert did not make this ruling by his own power. He was asked by the Board of Directors of the NCAA to look in to PSU and see if the NCAA should make any rulings against them.

They did not become a law enforcement agency either. Show me where they have the power or authority to imprison a person?

You're missing this point, the guilty who remain in this cover-up are not being punished and can't be touched by the NCAA.  That is about 3-4 more individuals for whom the innocent must pay.  Unfortunately the NCAA is acting too quickly on this matter with broad brush strokes and with standards of proof that are of a lower standard than the judicial system.  

The NCAA doesn't have the power that the legal system has when they charge and try people. I think the judicial system will try those people but at their own pace.

The NCAA did act quickly and rightly or wrongly, they did use the Freeh report as a definitive account of what happened.  The people that NOW represent PSU are different than the ones involved in the Sandusky saga.  They, the people now representing PSU, agreed with the NCAA's actions, albeit under pressure where it would have been difficult to do otherwise.  Yes, the punishments were strong armed and done with a sense of righteous indignation.  Sometimes, well maybe often... one man's justice is another man's vengeance. That is just the way it works.  No doubt it looks different from the perspective of PSU fans, students, players, alumni than it does from the perspective of the victims and their family, friends, and loved ones.

Forget punishing Paterno, he's worm food now, instead look at his record since 1998.  He, along with other administrators at the highest level(s) at  Pedo State engaged in a wide spread cover-up of a child molester.  Not only did they cover-up for him, they allowed this predator to use facilities at PSU.  You can cry this an abuse of power and the NCAA overstepped their bounds but the university needed punished.  The only ones I feel any sympathy are the Sandusky's victims and current football student-athletes.  The NCAA gave the SAs a lifeline when it stated that the players can transfer without penalty to their eligibility.  I have no sympathy for the alumni or fans of Pedo State, they were the ones who empowered the mighty Joe Pedo and the administration.

There's a reason I don't worship anyone or anything (except maybe American whiskey).  I refuse to prostrate myself before something and grant him,her,it, etc... that kind of power over me.

Who did they punish:

That is all well and good as long as you are not the entity who has to suffer for the crimes of another. Just remember, if they can do it to these innocent people (students, fans, alumni), they can also do it to you.

I don't know if the intention was to punish the students and fans, but Emmert did say that one of the goals of this punishment was to change the culture of college football. And while the students and fans did not contribute directly to the coverup of the administration, let's face it; it is the culture of hero worship in college football that influences decisions of admins and fans alike.

It is just my humble opinion that this punishment at PSU IS as much for the fans as it is for the school's administration. All those students and others who were outraged over removing Paterno's statue probably need to rethink their priorities and values in regard to football.

And, honestly, there are many fan bases who need to do some re-prioritizing.

Is it the NCAA's responsibility to do this? I don't know, but it certainly needs to be done.

I agree with you 100% there, though I might change the word "many" to "most". I am Just not sure why PSU fans had to be the ones as they, as a whole, are no worse than most others.

They punished the wrong people.

I agree with you 100% there, though I might change the word "many" to "most". I am Just not sure why PSU fans had to be the ones as they, as a whole, are no worse than most others.

They punished the wrong people.

You mean why was PSU singled out after their administration protected a child molestor for over a decade?  Don't be dense.  :rolleyes:

Sooooo, if the NCAA is trying to punish the PSU Administration for their lack of institutional control and coverup why is the football program the only one punished?  Yes I know the rapist was once a Coach but the crime does not really involve football....it's about the culture at the entire University that Emmert wants to change.  If thats truly the case all sports would face stiff penalties.

Sooooo, if the NCAA is trying to punish the PSU Administration for their lack of institutional control and coverup why is the football program the only one punished?  Yes I know the rapist was once a Coach but the crime does not really involve football....it's about the culture at the entire University that Emmert wants to change.  If thats truly the case all sports would face stiff penalties.

The head football coach was involved in enabling the sicko from the beginning.  This was most assuredly about football.

Who did they punish:

That is all well and good as long as you are not the entity who has to suffer for the crimes of another. Just remember, if they can do it to these innocent people, they can also do it to you.

You make good points rockford, that those who are the criminals are not punished by the NCAA's actions, although one is dead, another incarcerated and the others have yet to be tried.  The argument I made earlier is that those who covered up Sandusky's crimes should have been tried by the courts before the NCAA passed judgment on PSU.  Greater clarity would have been provided and support given by the public.

The NCAA has always punished institutions for what individuals representing, acting on behalf of, or acting to benefit that institution did.  That is no different here.  The innocent get punished routinely when the NCAA dishes out punishments.

I agree 100% with your first and last sentence above.

However, the difference is that usually when the innocent are punished by the NCAA  it is because:

1.  their school broke an NCAA rule to gain some kind of competitive advantage or to the detriment of the student athlete AND/OR,

2.  the punishment is needed to re-level the playing field, and/or,

3. it is needed to punish those who night not otherwise be punished or punished enough, and/or

4. it is needed to deter future violations.

This punishment does none of the above. As I said earlier, if jail time doesn't deter a criminal, a bowl ban sure as heck will not.

Certainly there needed to be a HARSH punishment for what happened. However, IMO, the wrong people were punished by the wrong people for the wrong reason.

The NCAA just crushed one of Pedo State's biggest money makers.  You don't think that will give other administrator's pause when they consider covering up something of this magnitude?  No, it won't stop child molestors but it certainly may stop future cover-ups.

The NCAA just crushed one of Pedo State's biggest money makers.  You don't think that will give other administrator's pause when they consider covering up something of this magnitude?  No, it won't stop child molestors but it certainly may stop future cover-ups.

No, if Jail time does not deter them, a bowl ban and scholarship reductions certainly will not.

(The exception being if some school hires Harvey Updike as an administrator)

The head football coach was involved in enabling the sicko from the beginning.  This was most assuredly about football.

Well JoePa is not around to defend himself so I'm sticking to the PSU Administration coverup.  It seems like some of you are saying it created an unfair advantage by hiding this and not reporting it back in the 90's.  That seems like an unfair advantage for all PSU sports...but the NCAA picks and chooses what and who they want to punish based soley on financial aspects rather than morality or ethics.

Who did they punish:

However, the difference is that usually when the innocent are punished by the NCAA  it is because:

1.  their school broke an NCAA rule to gain some kind of competitive advantage or to the detriment of the student athlete AND/OR,

3. it is needed to punish those who night not otherwise be punished or punished enough, and/or

This punishment does none of the above. As I said earlier, if jail time doesn't deter a criminal, a bowl ban sure as heck will not.

Certainly there needed to be a HARSH punishment for what happened. However, IMO, the wrong people were punished by the wrong people for the wrong reason.

If you don't understand why the folks at PSU covered this up by now, I don't know if I can help you with it.  I'm pretty sure it has been stated time and time again.  But I will help you out by asking you this:

Go back in time to 1998, when Joe Paterno was expected to retire because he was about 70 years old.  Recall that Jerry Sandusky was the PSU defensive coordinator and assistant head coach.  He was also hand picked by Joe Paterno himself to succeed Joe Paterno as PSU's next head coach.  Now think about PSU's image, recruiting, donations, and the job security of their head coach, athletic director, vice president, and president if it had came out that Jerry Sandusky had inappropriate relations with a young boy in a PSU shower inside of PSU's locker room... do you think that would have had no effect, a negative effect, or a positive affect on any of those things?  And consider that some folks figure that not having a negative thing occur when it should have gave you an advantage.

to me, this wasn't a football related issue.  Yes, it had JoPa's hands on it, but it had nothing to do with how the program was run. It did have to do with how the institution was run.  They didn't cheat on the field, the players weren't payed, there weren't boosters giving away trips, houses, or suits.  The administration of the institution covered up a travesty and for that, the football players are being punished.  To me, that doesn't make sense.  If I grew up a PSU fan and was now a junior on the football team, explain to me why my dream of playing in the rose bowl for PSU should now be taken from me.  

I think too many are painting with a brush that is simply to broad (including the NCAA). Some are referring to the administration and the institution of PSU as a whole too carelessly.

I think it bears repeating that this entire thing (pertaining to the crimes committed) involves one perpetrator and a VERY limited number of individuals (3-4) that had knowledge they kept to themselves. And of course the victims of their actions.

I do not understand the painting of the entire institution of PSU or its administration as a whole with the same brush. Yes these were people in positions of power. However they were not making policies, that the university was governed by or accountable to in regards to this matter. They withheld knowledge. I think distinctions should be made and calling PSU Pedofile U or whatever or blaming the entire culture and institution is not only a stretch, but just silly.

I agree totally with Bird and Tiger In Miami. I really don't know all the details of this but something about this gang rape of PSU just doesn't sit right with me. It reminds me of when I was flying in the Marine Corps and used to go to Tailhook every year. Things went on there that were a little over the edge but that's what happens when you get that many Navy and Marine pilots together in Vegas, however, the women involved were fully aware of goes on at Tailhook but it was not right that officers up for promotion were put in limbo for something that they had nothing to do with. I feel for the players and fans that had nothing to do with any of this. Those that had DIRECT knowledge of what went on should be prosecuted to the letter of the law. And as Bird has said, this is not a football issue, it's a criminal issue., Rant over!!

Who did they punish:

If you don't understand why the folks at PSU covered this up by now, I don't know if I can help you with it.  I'm pretty sure it has been stated time and time again.  But I will help you out by asking you this:

Go back in time to 1998, when Joe Paterno was expected to retire because he was about 70 years old.  Recall that Jerry Sandusky was the PSU defensive coordinator and assistant head coach.  He was also hand picked by Joe Paterno himself to succeed Joe Paterno as PSU's next head coach.  Now think about PSU's image, recruiting, donations, and the job security of their head coach, athletic director, vice president, and president if it had came out that Jerry Sandusky had inappropriate relations with a young boy in a PSU shower inside of PSU's locker room... do you think that would have had no effect, a negative effect, or a positive affect on any of those things?  And consider that some folks figure that not having a negative thing occur when it should have gave you an advantage.

I do understand your point, and have all the way through, covering up something to avoid a negative is a positve. In such much as not experiencing a negative, is a positive, I concur.

That is a fair point, just not one that I agree with, for reasons previously delineated,  when looking at the entirety of the situation. However, I do see your point and respect your view.

I agree totally with Bird and Tiger In Miami. I really don't know all the details of this but something about this gang rape of PSU just doesn't sit right with me. It reminds me of when I was flying in the Marine Corps and used to go to Tailhook every year. Things went on there that were a little over the edge but that's what happens when you get that many Navy and Marine pilots together in Vegas, however, the women involved were fully aware of goes on at Tailhook but it was not right that officers up for promotion were put in limbo for something that they had nothing to do with. I feel for the players and fans that had nothing to do with any of this. Those that had DIRECT knowledge of what went on should be prosecuted to the letter of the law. And as Bird has said, this is not a football issue, it's a criminal issue., Rant over!!

Well said, Bird, Tiger, and Slammer

Thinking about this a slightly different way.

Even associating such heinous crimes with things like year bowl bans, Scholarship losses, and forfeits of a “game”, to me, in a way, sort of marginalize the crime.

For those that truly believe this is a just and proper punishment for what happened, it seems to me that a 4 year bowl ban and 15 scholarships is a bit weak. Why not a 10 year ban and 25 scholarships?

The bowl ban and scholarship reductions do nothing to deter future crimes, do nothing to help the victims, and offer no additional punishment for the criminals.

What it does is throw the institution, the student athletes, student body, fans, and alumni, under the bus for to facilitate what, at least to me,   is essentially a PR move by the NCAA.

To me it is a case of the wrong people punishing the wrong people the wrong way for the wrong thing.

I really feel that PSU pushed this report through and agreed to the sanctions to get it over with.  They are controlling what is happening.  It keeps the accreditation committees away and anymore snooping that might be done.  If they have been covering this up ~ what else have they been covering up all they years that they claimed to be clean?  I think they are using the NCAA and public opinion to be able to move on.  JMHO

The NCAA doesn't have the power that the legal system has when they charge and try people. I think the judicial system will try those people but at their own pace.

The NCAA did act quickly and rightly or wrongly, they did use the Freeh report as a definitive account of what happened.  The people that NOW represent PSU are different than the ones involved in the Sandusky saga.  They, the people now representing PSU, agreed with the NCAA's actions, albeit under pressure where it would have been difficult to do otherwise.  Yes, the punishments were strong armed and done with a sense of righteous indignation.  Sometimes, well maybe often... one man's justice is another man's vengeance. That is just the way it works.  No doubt it looks different from the perspective of PSU fans, students, players, alumni than it does from the perspective of the victims and their family, friends, and loved ones.

Did I say/imply that the NCAA should prosecute and incarcerate ?  No, that's silly.  But the NCAA board is granting itself uncontestable powers of judgment over issues not defined within their scope of authority to satisfy public outcry with the hope of punishing the guilty PSU participants.  The purpose of the NCAA is to govern and enforce NCAA schools programs' compliance with stated rules in order that no illicit advantage is gained by one school over others in the pursuit of athletics, and that is it.  I've asked before and no one has answered, How does child rape give advantage to PSU over other programs ?  It simply doesn't and the NCAA board is granting itself control over a legal issue.  People in this thread keep saying "loss of institutional control".  Again, this loss of control does not give advantage to PSU over other schools.  Loss of institutional control refers to issues such as UMiami booster NShapiro providing benefits to football players.  The word "benefit" is key in this discussion.  No benefit was gained by the PSU football program.

Examples of potential concern I stated earlier in this thread are, "Does the NCAA now have the right to sanction a program because a college-owned computer was used in a murder conspiracy ?  Does the NCAA now have the right to sanction a program because a college-owned vehicle operated by non-licensed operator hits a pedestrian ?  Does the NCAA now have the right to sanction a program because one coach is a tax cheat who stored his records in his office desk ?"  You see, the link in these situations that was applied by the NCAA is that the offenses were on PSU property by PSU employee (reminder: Sandusky was not operating the youth programs on behalf of the university but as a contractor).  The NCAA most likely now squirmed itself into a new level of authority and we may possibly see the NCAA lord such authority in similar issues.  Will we see similar fines against offending institutions and will the NCAA "donate" those funds or will it slyly begin collecting those funds for its own designated purposes ?

What should be done to those involved at PSU for these horrible acts is being accomplished in the proper venue, the criminal justice system.  Those who are guilty are being punished.....and, most importantly, the innocent are not affected.  You easily discarded the innocent and their futures in the pursuit of the guilty which is terribly disconcerting.  You say, prefaced with, "rightly or wrongly", "Yes, the punishments were strong armed and done with a sense of righteous indignation.  Sometimes, well maybe often... one man's justice is another man's vengeance. That is just the way it works. Again, your words reflect the attitude that rule enforcement should be allowed to be created out of thin air when the NCAA thinks appropriate.  The lives of many others are crushed by such NCAA capriciousness, and not just football players.  Those whose livelihoods depend on football are at mercy, such as the tee shirt vendors, the hot dog vendors, etc.......the little people and they will suffer unjustly.

The courts are the means of adjudication, not the NCAA which should have restrained itself within the authority granted it by the accredited schools.

You say that "The people that NOW represent PSU are different than the ones involved in the Sandusky saga."  Not completely true.  The one judgment the NCAA should have passed but did not is a change in the PSU board.  A cloud of denial I believe lingers.

Archived