Welcome Back Coach Garner!

muxi87

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news. Kinda makes me wonder why CGC was not able to hire him a few years back and CGM was able to hire him now. Thoughts?

Todd Grantham happened.

Our D looks as good as you can do. Need one more and we are done over there. It hurts UGA and helps Auburn. That is a win win win. We can now take the best coach available on Defense (line, lb, db) and work around them. Maybe a really good special teams coach??

Great news. Kinda makes me wonder why CGC was not able to hire him a few years back and CGM was able to hire him now. Thoughts?

Perhaps he feels confident Gus will let him do his job? Or he could have felt it was just time to come home.

How is this possible? Gus doesn't know what he is doing. Gus can't get an coaches that can recruit. All is lost with recruiting. Gus is over his head. Well I guess many of you under estimated ole Gus looks like he does have a plan after all. Maybe all the naysayers will shut up now.

Uga completely caught off guard by this Coach Mark R. is a little pissed.

AUBURN, Alabama – Rodney Garner is coming home to Auburn as assistant head coach and defensive line coach in a coup for Gus Malzahn as he puts together his new coaching staff.

Garner is leaving Georgia after 15 years as a coach and one of college football's top recruiters.

"Welcome Home, Coach Rodney Garner," tweeted Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs.

Garner played at Auburn from 1984-88 and was with the coaching staff from 1993-95. He's been at Georgia the last 15 seasons, and is the Bulldogs' defensive line coach, assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator.

He's the fifth assistant coach hired by Malzhan.

Malzahn's coaching staff presently consists of Garner, offensive line coach J.B. Grimes, offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson and secondary coach Charlie Harbison.

Malzahn is not keeping any of Gene Chizik's assistants. Additionally, Auburn is not rehiring graduate assistants Tony Gilbert, Aairon Savage and Jeff Castle. Special teams quality control coach Al Pogue will be retained, but will be given a new assignment.

The only holdovers from Chizik's staff are Pogue, Director of Player Personnel Scott Fountain, who has coordinated Auburn's recruiting for four years; and Director of Scouting Chad Lunceford.

This is a HUGE coup by Malzahn.....reminds me of when we swiped Bro Oliver from Bama!

true but Bro Oliver left us to go to the turds before that. Bro Oliver was the one who told bear what to look for when playing against Pat Sullivan if he look straight ahead the pass is going ? and if he looks to his side its going ??

Does anyone know why Lawson didn't like Georgia, folks on TOS are making it sound like he has something against Garner and with the hire it is going to hurt are chances with Lawson...............

ELITOR ...ANYONE know anything about this?

This by far is the hire Gus has made that has gotten me the most excited. Whatever we're going to pay him, it's worth every penny!

+1 Certainly by far the BEST!

How is this possible? Gus doesn't know what he is doing. Gus can't get an coaches that can recruit. All is lost with recruiting. Gus is over his head. Well I guess many of you under estimated ole Gus looks like he does have a plan after all. Maybe all the naysayers will shut up now.

Negative...just a little less skeptical. Best hire he has by far...certainly give credit where credit is due. We all don't have to be sunshine pumpers. That would be NO fun! :)

Archived