2013 4* JUCO DT Toby Johnson (Georgia signee)

auburnhort03

Y'all can kiss my rear about Starkville. I grew up there, and one of my best friends in the current mayor. It's not a metropolis, but Auburn grads calling Starkville out for being in the middle of nowhere?!? Really? Jackson, Memphis and Birmingham are all 2 hours (or less if you have a heavy foot) away. I hate to be the one to rain on anyone's parade, but Auburn and Starkville are two of the most similar towns in the SEC. I've been to all of them except the two new additions. Auburn is closer to Starkville than it is to Athens.

As for Toby, I'd still love to land the guy. I understand he hurt his knee (I think). Anyone know if he's looking at a redshirt year or will he be good to go by the fall? Heck, it would almost fit better to redshirt him from a roster management stand point.

Starkville is closer to Opp than to Auburn.

Glad you like Starkistan, I knew if I lived long enough I'd meet someone who did. :dunno:

Good to see a man loyal to his friend the mayor though.

You know, I'm about as big an Auburn homer as you're ever going to find, and I don't like the crap we've gotten from MSU fans since 2010, but I don't have any problem with Starkville. When I traveled up there to see Auburn play and visit a friend who was in grad school there back in 05 or 06, I was struck with the similarities between it and Auburn. I even called it a "smaller version of Auburn" while I was there, and have used the description multiple times since. The football program is nowhere near the same level, and the fans can be rather obstinate towards us because of the feeling that we stole Cam from them, but the town is actually quite nice if you like that kind of place.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's better, but it's not a runaway. Especially since they built the bypass and the City/University started working together better.

Starkville is Auburn without Opelika and without a history of great unity between the school and city. Auburn is Auburn University, and while Starkville wouldn't exist without MSU, you don't see the two as intertwined the way Auburn is kind of built around the school. Quite literally, everything in Auburn springs up around AU. Starkville and MSU are more like two attachments sitting side-by-side.

But you know what? Starkville is growing both in number and quality. If you haven't been lately, Main Street is really booming, and you'd be shocked to see the ways MSU and the City are merging. Plus, Starkville has Chik-fil-a now. So there's that.

I love Auburn, but I still say it's closer to Starkville than it is to any other SEC town.

Maybe it's better, but it's not a runaway. Especially since they built the bypass and the City/University started working together better.

Starkville is Auburn without Opelika and without a history of great unity between the school and city. Auburn is Auburn University, and while Starkville wouldn't exist without MSU, you don't see the two as intertwined the way Auburn is kind of built around the school. Quite literally, everything in Auburn springs up around AU. Starkville and MSU are more like two attachments sitting side-by-side.

But you know what? Starkville is growing both in number and quality. If you haven't been lately, Main Street is really booming, and you'd be shocked to see the ways MSU and the City are merging. Plus, Starkville has Chik-fil-a now. So there's that.

I love Auburn, but I still say it's closer to Starkville than it is to any other SEC town.

I don't have an opinion one way or another, I was just poking fun at how we got sidetracked.

I travel to Starkville fairly often and it sucks, lack if good restaurants and hotels and btw the population of auburn is twice that of Starkville with 5x more manufacturers ......please never compare Auburn to Starkvegas!

I have to agree. The few times I've been to Starkville I wasn't impressed.

Y'all can kiss my rear about Starkville. I grew up there, and one of my best friends in the current mayor. It's not a metropolis, but Auburn grads calling Starkville out for being in the middle of nowhere?!? Really? Jackson, Memphis and Birmingham are all 2 hours (or less if you have a heavy foot) away. I hate to be the one to rain on anyone's parade, but Auburn and Starkville are two of the most similar towns in the SEC. I've been to all of them except the two new additions. Auburn is closer to Starkville than it is to Athens.

As for Toby, I'd still love to land the guy. I understand he hurt his knee (I think). Anyone know if he's looking at a redshirt year or will he be good to go by the fall? Heck, it would almost fit better to redshirt him from a roster management stand point.

Hey, why do you have to bring my hometown into this stupid debate.

Is this the Toby Johnson thread? Any up to date tidbits on his recruitment?

Visiting Miss St next weekend then signing between Auburn, Miss St, and Oklahoma

Is this the Toby Johnson thread? Any up to date tidbits on his recruitment?

Visiting Miss St next weekend then signing between Auburn, Miss St, and Oklahoma

why did he not pick/sign on the 6th? Is it pretty even for his three choices or is he a lean to Auburn?

I think it's hilarious that my comments on Starkville, made in jest mostly, have kicked off the great "Starkville vs. Auburn" debate. Starkville is close to Memphis and Birmingham, Auburn is close to Atlanta and the beach. If you love where you're from, that is great. I grew up in Hayden, AL, and I will always love that area. Most people have no idea where it is, or they only know it from the sign they've seen on I-65 North. Nothing wrong with pride in hometown. That said, I don't get offended when people make jokes about it.

When did it become wrong to hate on other schools/towns because they AREN'T Auburn???? :Sing:

I think it's hilarious that my comments on Starkville, made in jest mostly, have kicked off the great "Starkville vs. Auburn" debate. Starkville is close to Memphis and Birmingham, Auburn is close to Atlanta and the beach. If you love where you're from, that is great. I grew up in Hayden, AL, and I will always love that area. Most people have no idea where it is, or they only know it from the sign they've seen on I-65 North. Nothing wrong with pride in hometown. That said, I don't get offended when people make jokes about it.

When did it become wrong to hate on other schools/towns because they AREN'T Auburn???? :Sing:

I didn't take it as hatin at all. Piss on Starkeville..they're the crudest lot of hicks in the entire SEC and their town reflects who lives in it

I didn't take it as hatin at all. Piss on Starkeville..they're the crudest lot of hicks in the entire SEC and their town reflects who lives in it

:bs:

Dude, you need a vacation. Switch to Sanka, whatever it takes. You can count me as one that has grown very tired of you. However, how can YOU, Mr. P*** on Starkville, call anyone crude?

Can we stay on topic about Toby?

Considering he is not signing for another 8 days - doubt it.

Expecting The Vue's response shortly, however.

:bs:

Dude, you need a vacation. Switch to Sanka, whatever it takes. You can count me as one that has grown very tired of you. However, how can YOU, Mr. P*** on ld be Starkville, call anyone crude?

Its a joke - could be you need to take you own advice but at the very minimum stop taking forum posts so seriously and BTW piss on Starkville. If you're tired of me the solution is quite simple...ignore my posts. By contrast my ambivalence about you tells a totally different story

@Future020113SEC

me and @IamAmbition98 about to get this money once again pic.twitter.com/lbyu6pbc

Off of Tobys Twitter talking about him and Ben Bradley.

@Future020113SEC

me and @IamAmbition98 about to get this money once again pic.twitter.com/lbyu6pbc

What does that mean?..I dont understand twit talk at all

@Future020113SEC

Was a pic of him and Ben holding his jersey up on a visit to Auburn. I would decipher it as we about to own the DL together. ? I think he comes to Auburn

BTW its not "twit" talk...LOL. it's slang these kids use now. I'm almost as clueless as you to what some are saying

Glad you like Starkistan, I knew if I lived long enough I'd meet someone who did. :dunno:

Good to see a man loyal to his friend the mayor though.

Opp huh? Funny you say that because I grew up close to there

@Future020113SEC

Was a pic of him and Ben holding his jersey up on a visit to Auburn. I would decipher it as we about to own the DL together. ? I think he comes to Auburn

Good deal if theres any spot we need players its DT. Has he had some kind of injury problem he's been rehab-ing?

@Future020113SEC

Good deal if theres any spot we need players its DT. Has he had some kind of injury problem he's been rehab-ing?

From what I gather, yes.

Archived