2013 4* JUCO DT Toby Johnson (Georgia signee)

auburnhort03

We have the scholarship to give, but I can't get too excited about another jr. DT. He will join fellow juniors Wright and Blackson, have seniors Carter and Whitaker ahead of him and Sophs. Bradley, Sigler and Niles plus RS frosh Nero behind him. Then there's true frosh Adams coming in. That's already nine DT's and this guy would be the 10th DT and third junior.

I can't see the need.

I understand your point, but to this point those juniors and seniors haven't proven that they should be on the field against SEC competition IMO. So again, it comes down to filling a dire need.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have the scholarship to give, but I can't get too excited about another jr. DT. He will join fellow juniors Wright and Blackson, have seniors Carter and Whitaker ahead of him and Sophs. Bradley, Sigler and Niles plus RS frosh Nero behind him. Then there's true frosh Adams coming in. That's already nine DT's and this guy would be the 10th DT and third junior.

I can't see the need.

I understand your point, but to this point those juniors and seniors haven't proven that they should be on the field with against SEC competition IMO. So again, it comes down to filling a dire need.

I'm thinking that if our coaches are what they've been cracked up to be they should have no trouble making a great D-line out of the bunch of 4* guys named above. On paper, they are the deepest and most talented group of D-tackles in Auburn history.

I can't see the need.

I understand your point, but to this point those juniors and seniors haven't proven that they should be on the field with against SEC competition IMO. So again, it comes down to filling a dire need.

I'm thinking that if our coaches are what they've been cracked up to be they should have no trouble making a great D-line out of the bunch of 4* guys named above. On paper, they are the deepest and most talented group of D-tackles in Auburn history.

Yeah, I can't argue that they haven't underachieved. I've been disappointed in Wright and Whitaker. I'm hoping Nero, Bradley, and Adams can add a big spark this year.

I can't see the need.

Yeah, I can't argue that they haven't underachieved. I've been disappointed in Wright and Whitaker. I'm hoping Nero, Bradley, and Adams can add a big spark this year.

Interpretation: "Yeah, they have underachieved." :poke:

So nice to be surrounded with such incredible football smarts....

ahgg_bsflag.gif... and to think I'd of been simply satisfied - that this staff considers him a worthy get.

I agree with Mikey here on the don't see the need for Toby part although for a different reason. I am not going to look at things on paper and assume different coaching will make the current DTs live up to their projected potential given by recruiting sites and it looks like the coaches are not taking it for granted that they will improve dramatically either. The reason I do not see the need for him at this time is it is more likely he redshirts than provides immediate depth and competition due to his knee injury/surgery. He still had a noticable limp when he OVed Auburn a couple weeks ago. With that said however, I will welcome him with open arms if he chooses Auburn. All signs point to him picking Auburn later today.

Obviously his rumored grade problems/not being admitted into AU appear to be resolved since folks are saying he is going to sign us today.

wde

Obviously his rumored grade problems/not being admitted into AU appear to be resolved since folks are saying he is going to sign us today.

wde

Not resolved/ Auburn may take his NLI hoping he gets in.

Link to live stream announcement at 2CT

http://www.bluedrago...dcast-and-media

Incorrect link. From there you have to click 2 more links to get to the announcement link. Here is the rea link that will be live at 2 PM CT. http://www.ihigh.com/hcc/broadcast_284631.html?silverlight=1

i'll be honest. this is a crazy idea ...

toby appears to be a talent. if healthy, he CAN be a contributer. we have some space open (on the 25 NLI - will need to clear some for the 85).

any chance that the coaches have added one additional item to their rationale to sign toby. send a message. "attention upperclassmen - your on field play is simply not good enough so we have gotten 2 junior DT to take your place." with one shining "extra" reason - piss off the existing players to the point they will put the elite effort in that is required to perform in the SEC. if toby actually contributes then that is a bonus, but the simple motivational message his signing represents is huge to me. WE ARE WILLING TO PUT A 10TH DT ON SCHOLLY BECAUSE YOU OTHER GUYS CANT GET IT DONE.

our DL has the talent but I am not convinced they have the ELITE between the ears desire required to be elite ... they can, but have not done it yet consistently.

Link to live stream announcement at 2CT

http://www.bluedrago...dcast-and-media

Incorrect link. From there you have to click 2 more links to get to the announcement link. Here is the rea link that will be live at 2 PM CT. http://www.ihigh.com...l?silverlight=1

And that's why we pay you the big bucks. ;)

I can't see the need.

The thing is that the seniors have grossly underperformed. I've especially been disappointed in Jeff Whitaker...he was the guy I was most excited about in the 2010 class (well, other than Newton, anyway). Wright and Blackson have both had moments, but have been rather inconsistent. And there is no guarantee that any of those guys who have been around will stick around. Besides, sometimes when players start to lag behind, for whatever reason, it becomes next to impossible to catch back up...and if I remember correctly, Nero is the only one of the underclassmen DTs who was considered a consensus 4 star other than the guys we signed earlier this month, so signing Johnson sounds to me like a challenge to the upperclassmen to step up their game or get left behind.

I'll answer my own question. Just read the free stuff on Rivals and IMO he is going to Miss St.

Oh well, still an awesome year, considering 0-8, and 3-9, and a completely new staff.

I'll answer my own question. Just read the free stuff on Rivals and IMO he is going to Miss St.

Oh well, still an awesome year, considering 0-8, and 3-9, and a completely new staff.

Auburn pay guys have been saying Auburn but it will not surprise me if it's Miss St since he can qualify there easier.

I figured it was a good idea to create a seperate thread for the announcement til just after it so it would be easier to find than the link being lost in the other Toby thread. With that said here is the live stream...

http://www.ihigh.com...l?silverlight=1

4_406585.jpg
Toby Johnson, DT
Hutchinson, KA (JUCO)
6'4 / 310 / 4.89

Offers (30+): Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Arkansas State Auburn, Baylor, Boise State, Florida State, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kansas State, Kentucky, Miami (Fl.), Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri Montana State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Penn State, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Troy, USC and West Virginia, among others.

247Sports: 4*
Rivals: 4*
Scout: 4*
Highlights:

Archived