2015 5* DT Daron Payne (Alabama signee)

ellitor

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will not be upset if he becomes an updyke

Me either. He seems like the type to fit right in over there.

What do you guys specifically know about this kid that makes you say that? I'm not referring to vague message board hearsay. I'm asking about actual knowledge.

What do you guys specifically know about this kid that makes you say that? I'm not referring to vague message board hearsay. I'm asking about actual knowledge.

Repeated media reports and camp reports about him being lazy. Getting ejected from the AL/Miss. all star game for cheap-shotting a Mississippi player while leaving the field at halftime. The bountiful rest comes from message board hearsay, so I won't bother repeating it, it's there for the idle curious to peruse.

I have seen him play several games over the past two years. He does not give 100% all the time. Many plays he is just filling a space on the line. It is hard for high school O Linemen to move him out because he is strong. He will make a great play occasionally but does take a lot of plays off. If a coach can get that out of him he could be a dominate force on the D Line.

I have seen him play several games over the past two years. He does not give 100% all the time. Many plays he is just filling a space on the line. It is hard for high school O Linemen to move him out because he is strong. He will make a great play occasionally but does take a lot of plays off. If a coach can get that out of him he could be a dominate force on the D Line.

And he is 5 star? Also many recruit niks will say we lost a head to head with Bama, based on a few comments about him why worry or waste time on the kid? Specifally if he is dirty and lazy...

Oh, I read Mikey's "fits right in over there" comment to mean "he's fantastic at football and will be a thorn in our ass for 3-4 years". Since, ya know, that's true of most guys they sign.

It's a low risk game we're playing with Daron Payne. If you expect him to sign elsewhere, there's not much to lose in continuing his recruitment unless it means we don't have the resources to recruit others. With the relatively slim list of prospect remaining on the 2015 board, I doubt that's the case. Keep plugging and you might pull and upset.

Payne didn't look overly impressive in the 1st half of the AL-MS all star game. Then he was ejected just before halftime.

exactly....very unimpressive and that is being kind

This is something I can live with losing him to them. I know he has disappointed this year and dropped in rankings after camp performances. He might be a battle we can lose but still win in the long run.

I say that and I'm rushing to conclusions, but kids like Dee Liner, Reuben, etc could have been stars at Auburn and big contributors. Too bad they don't see that

Oh, I read Mikey's "fits right in over there" comment to mean "he's fantastic at football and will be a thorn in our ass for 3-4 years". Since, ya know, that's true of most guys they sign.

It's a low risk game we're playing with Daron Payne. If you expect him to sign elsewhere, there's not much to lose in continuing his recruitment unless it means we don't have the resources to recruit others. With the relatively slim list of prospect remaining on the 2015 board, I doubt that's the case. Keep plugging and you might pull and upset.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Rather have the gentry kid 10 out of 10 x

Yes!!

Yes!!

I see no issue with saying you like another guy better. Just flat out saying, "I don't want that guy" when several of the best programs in the country- including our own- still do is what confuses me.

My preference would be to have both Payne and Gentry.. but I live in a dream world where we also get Thompson, Cowart and Jefferson, thus completing the best D-line class of all time.

My preference would be to have both Payne and Gentry.. but I live in a dream world where we also get Thompson, Cowart and Jefferson, thus completing the best D-line class of all time.

That would be unbelievable. I think we could get two of those for real though.

I know that it's insanely optomistic but I really don't think it's super unrealistic that we get 3 or 4. I feel the best about Cowart.. Not really sure why. As previously stated.. I'm living in a dream world where Coach Boom gets every player he wants.

While Payne has always been a Bama lean. He has not played games with us like Foster and others so I don't quite understand the animosity that some on this board have against him. Like many players he may have a preference but is weighing other things like PT, coaches, etc. If he goes to Bama I will be sad but I won't be mad, if he comes to Auburn I will be very happy and hope that our coaches feel like they can address what may or may not be real issues with him such as being overweight and lazy.

I know that it's insanely optomistic but I really don't think it's super unrealistic that we get 3 or 4. I feel the best about Cowart.. Not really sure why. As previously stated.. I'm living in a dream world where Coach Boom gets every player he wants.

Yeah, I don't think it is unrealistic. Odds are we get cowart and Holland because of boom...we are getting closer looks because of his mere presence so maybe we can close leading into signing day. Trent and his mom like coach G, so getting him in to see Boom and G together will be huge.

Hopefully we have more of a two years ago nsd than last year. Lots of high fives.

And chest bumps.

Yes!!

I see no issue with saying you like another guy better. Just flat out saying, "I don't want that guy" when several of the best programs in the country- including our own- still do is what confuses me.

Watching gentry play is refreshing. The guy plays with passion and it shows. That's what impresses me way more than I can say about Payne. Not hating on the kid but I'd rather have someone who WANTS to be at AU more than it to be a business decision.

Archived