2015 4* ATH Torrance Gibson (Ohio State signee)

ellitor

Johnson was a very good runner in high school. I know the competition is better, but the guy can run the ball. I watched enough "Friday Night Fever" on Montgomery's Channel 12 to know that. He's got fine open field speed and can bulldoze defenders when needed. He won't be called on to do what Cam or Marshall did, but when called on to run he's very capable of coming through for us.

That's pretty much what I said.

Good grief. No, it isn't. You said that JJ is not "a true dual-threat" QB and that those who expect JJ to run like Cam or Nick are crazy. Despite the fact that others responded that JJ is a very capable runner (no one had claimed he was either Cam or Nick), you also challenged folks to put up stats to prove that JJ was Cam or Nick.

But all of that is beside the point. This is the Gibson thread, not the current and former players thread. And it's not the 'I'm right, you're wrong' thread.

Yup, it is what I said. Coming through for us when called upon i.e. running short yardage conversions i.e. We won't need Jason Smith/Gibson to come in on 3rd & 1 to run the Wildcat.

That's fine tho. No one believed me when I said Marshall would run for 1000+ yards in 2013. Certainly don't expect folks to believe Johnson won't continue to make the zone read a staple.

So, you're right and everyone else is wrong. Got it.

Wrong thread, though.

Nope. It's merely a prediction.

The initial point was that Gus has abandoned an alternate QB running the Wildcat, thus IF we get Gibson, he will complete for the starting position.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnson was a very good runner in high school. I know the competition is better, but the guy can run the ball. I watched enough "Friday Night Fever" on Montgomery's Channel 12 to know that. He's got fine open field speed and can bulldoze defenders when needed. He won't be called on to do what Cam or Marshall did, but when called on to run he's very capable of coming through for us.

That's pretty much what I said.

Good grief. No, it isn't. You said that JJ is not "a true dual-threat" QB and that those who expect JJ to run like Cam or Nick are crazy. Despite the fact that others responded that JJ is a very capable runner (no one had claimed he was either Cam or Nick), you also challenged folks to put up stats to prove that JJ was Cam or Nick.

But all of that is beside the point. This is the Gibson thread, not the current and former players thread. And it's not the 'I'm right, you're wrong' thread.

Yup, it is what I said. Coming through for us when called upon i.e. running short yardage conversions i.e. We won't need Jason Smith/Gibson to come in on 3rd & 1 to run the Wildcat.

That's fine tho. No one believed me when I said Marshall would run for 1000+ yards in 2013. Certainly don't expect folks to believe Johnson won't continue to make the zone read a staple.

So, you're right and everyone else is wrong. Got it.

Wrong thread, though.

Nope. It's merely a prediction.

The initial point was that Gus has abandoned an alternate QB running the Wildcat, thus IF we get Gibson, he will complete for the starting position.

I'll agree with the highlighted part of what you said, since it's both relevant to Gibson and true. But the main support for the claim can be found in the fact that it's a necessary condition for signing Gibson that he be given a shot to compete for the starting QB position, combined with the fact that he's an electric athlete who has a lot of potential as a QB in Gus's offense.

Whether Gus has abandoned an alternate QB running the wildcat is largely beside the point. It might make for an interesting discussion in the football thread, though.

Whether Gus has abandoned an alternate QB running the wildcat is largely beside the point.

It certainly has been made a point in this thread (as it is every single year since 2009) in that who will come in to relieve the starting QB to run the Wildcat. I even heard it ad nauseum for 2010. "Burns will come in for Cam."

We MIGHT see Jason Smith (or Gibson) come in to run it once every 4 games or so i.e. Quan Bray/Uzomah for a trick play, but it will not be a staple like Burns and Frazier were.

Gibson is a legit passer. He would not be moved to WR.

He will be good for Urban Meyer in his offense. Also Urban doesn't mind the extra curricular type of things this guy might bring to the table.

Hernandez, Cooper, Harvin....

I've been under the impression this is more of a toss up than people thought, and has skewed more to us. Could be wrong though. If I'm a qb, I'm not sure I look at our depth chart and feel any better than I do looking at OSU's though...

I've been under the impression this is more of a toss up than people thought, and has skewed more to us. Could be wrong though. If I'm a qb, I'm not sure I look at our depth chart and feel any better than I do looking at OSU's though...

That is so true...that is why you would also look at Miami or LSU....better chance at starting sooner than later.

If he does go to OSU it will be years before he starts with that crew of QB's.

Not necessarily. All depends on who starts next season. If it's JT Barrett, Jones could choose to transfer or go pro. If Barrett makes another Heisman run, he could go pro.

That would put Gibson in line to start as early as 2016 as a Redshirt Freshman.

If I'm a qb, I'm not sure I look at our depth chart and feel any better than I do looking at OSU's though...

I'd have to disagree with this sentiment. That's not a shot at our QB's, I like who we have and have signed/are signing, but OSU's three-headed QB attack have all proven themselves when it counts. So far, JJ has gotten limited action against sub-par opponents. I believe JJ will be very good in this offense, but if TG is super confident in his abilities, one would think he would believe he has a better shot at playing time in Auburn.

• 1 year later...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17415034/ohio-state-buckeyes-suspend-wide-receiver-torrance-gibson

Appears we are not missing out on much here. My wife's family are big bucknuts so "no doubt' I remember this guy. For Urban to suspend a guy for an entire season it must be pretty bad.

1 minute ago, AUcivE09 said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17415034/ohio-state-buckeyes-suspend-wide-receiver-torrance-gibson

Appears we are not missing out on much here. My wife's family are big bucknuts so "no doubt' I remember this guy. For Urban to suspend a guy for an entire season it must be pretty bad.

Urban didn't agree with the suspension. It was something that came from higher. 

Isnt Gibson the same guy that spent five days at Tennessee on a visit just because he didn't think to schedule a ride home. :laugh:

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Urban didn't agree with the suspension. It was something that came from higher. 

Isnt Gibson the same guy that spent five days at Tennessee on a visit just because he didn't think to schedule a ride home. :laugh:

As for Urban didnt agree - that makes more sense.

And yes - it is that Gibson. I believe he was committed to TN for about 5 days as well!

5 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

As for Urban didnt agree - that makes more sense.

And yes - it is that Gibson. I believe he was committed to TN for about 5 days as well!

Wasn't there something also going on with that visit that involved strippers or prostitutes as well?

Archived