2017 4* QB Jake Bentley

JFDTiger80

Will Gus still be here by the time Jake has to sign? Not unless he finds another Cam...or maybe a Nick...but how many are there out there ready to play next year? Otherwise, Gus needs to figure out how to win with who he is able to recruit...which is still an open question IMO.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chad Simmons of Scout just tweeted that Stanford leads for Jake. Chad calls Jake the number 1 QB in the south.

Here's the free interview http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1613366-not-system-but-fit-for-no-1-qb-in-the-south

I think he is a good qb and probably fits Stanford system better than ours because we have to have a mobile qb as long as Gus is there..

WAR EAGLE!!

You would be sadly mistaken if you think Jake is not mobile. He is a very good athlete.

You're probably right; I just thought that Narcisse was a better fit for what we do; I would love to have Jake if he can move in the pocket; he's playing well for the school that I graduated from..

WAR EAGLE!!

You're probably right; I just thought that Narcisse was a better fit for what we do; I would love to have Jake if he can move in the pocket; he's playing well for the school that I graduated from..

WAR EAGLE!!

He's more athletic but JB can do the read option well & is a good passer. Not saying JB is better, just that he would do fine in this offense.

unless Jake Bentley can run a 4.4 forty he doesn't fit our system. he is no different that sean white and honestly I am wondering why he recruits pocket passing QB's when he has been most successful with mobile QB's. Chris Todd was very good in his system but he didn't make anything happened with his feet. unless we have a stable of beast WR's the QB in Malzan system will always have to run. Sean white and Tyler Queen were not Malzans Top choice if you look at QB's he recruited that went to other school you would See that Only JJ was his preferred choice.

unless Jake Bentley can run a 4.4 forty he doesn't fit our system. he is no different that sean white and honestly I am wondering why he recruits pocket passing QB's when he has been most successful with mobile QB's. Chris Todd was very good in his system but he didn't make anything happened with his feet. unless we have a stable of beast WR's the QB in Malzan system will always have to run. Sean white and Tyler Queen were not Malzans Top choice if you look at QB's he recruited that went to other school you would See that Only JJ was his preferred choice.

Cam only ran a 4.58 at the combine and he did very well in our system. Any thoughts?

You don't have to run a 4.4 to run this offense. Cam runs a 4.6. Tebow ran a 4.7 and would have been good in this offense if he were later & we had him. Sean run a 5.0. That's a big difference. JB is definitely a more athletic rummer than Sean.

And you are wrong on TQ not being Gus's top choice. He was one of the first 5 QBs in his class to commit to a school. over a year & a half before his class could sign in July of 2013. He was also the 1st commit in our 2015 class by a full 7 months over the next commit in the class. We did not try to recruit a 2nd QB in the class for TQ not being the top choice. We did it more because Gus did not like our then depth at QB. We then did try harder to get a guy like Deandre Francois after TQ had a tear in his elbow in March 2014 suffered pitching baseball for his HS.

Does this sound silly to anybody else?!?!?

Arguably the best QB in the country, we don't want any part of...? Possibly a program changing QB?!?!? A player you could build a program around?!?!? We don't want any part of?!?!?

If this is what we have to look forward too, then we need a new coach!

I mean, this mobile QB argument is going to be the death of Malzahn's career at AU... If he's not good enough to build an offense around a top QB prospect, then we don't need him anyway.

It's a silly argument, but Bently's a bad ass! He's a much better QB than Nicrosse (sp)... js

Of course saying a qb needs to run a 4.4 is silly. Saying which one of those guys is much better than the other is pretty silly as well though

Of course saying a qb needs to run a 4.4 is silly. Saying which one of those guys is much better than the other is pretty silly as well though

Dog... Bentley is twice the QB that LN is. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

LN was recruited by his sophomore tape alone. Kid can run, but that's about it... AND he's only played in one game as a junior. I'd me damned if pass on Bentley for LN.

LN was recruited by his sophomore tape alone. Kid can run, but that's about it... AND he's only played in one game as a junior. I'd me damned if pass on Bentley for LN.

We are trying to get both but we are #2 to Stanford for JB likely because LN is already committed.

Does this sound silly to anybody else?!?!?

Arguably the best QB in the country, we don't want any part of...? Possibly a program changing QB?!?!? A player you could build a program around?!?!? We don't want any part of?!?!?

If this is what we have to look forward too, then we need a new coach!

I mean, this mobile QB argument is going to be the death of Malzahn's career at AU... If he's not good enough to build an offense around a top QB prospect, then we don't need him anyway.

It's a silly argument, but Bently's a bad ass! He's a much better QB than Nicrosse (sp)... js

Williegun is offbase in his comparing SW to Jake. Jake is a much bigger kid. Jake is 6'4', Sean to most likely 6'0". Jake would have an opportunity to do very well at AU.

Narcisse (sp) BTW is a very talented kid. He is a great pick up. His running is probably elite level and he can throw. He was supposed to be out this whole year injured, but he came back and played last week. I don't care if people like one vs the other, Jake vs Lowell, but both are very talented.

We are trying to get both but we are #2 to Stanford for JB likely because LN is already committed.

That's my point... We're screwing the pooch big-time! If we lose out on Bentley, especially while his dad is on staff, will be one of the biggest recruiting blunders... smh

Yeah that's your opinion but until they get on campus and play against other d1 athletes you don't know who's better yet along much better or twice the qb or whatever.

You could actually make the case that the other guy may have a higher ceiling because he hasn't had a qb guru dad coaching him up. I just don't see how after this year everybody still think all these projections are guaranteed.

But I agree that if we pass up on any top recruit we're messing up, especially a qb, but we're recruiting him right?

Yeah that's your opinion but until they get on campus and play against other d1 athletes you don't know who's better yet along much better or twice the qb or whatever.

You could actually make the case that the other guy may have a higher ceiling because he hasn't had a qb guru dad coaching him up. I just don't see how after this year everybody still think all these projections are guaranteed.

But I agree that if we pass up on any top recruit we're messing up, especially a qb, but we're recruiting him right?

I get your points, but I've seen Jake Bentley play... he's a bad ass!

JB is being touted by many experts I know of as the top 2017 QB in the south. Some even say he may end up 5* top QB in nation. But it's real early for that kind of talk . And Jake was supposedly AU's to lose. Unlike our insiders I've been saying we lost for a few months. I'm fine with Bentley going to Stanford or Notre Dame or Penn State or wherever but not across the state. That would be the last nail for Gus I'm afraid and I'm a big Gus fan.

He has never been "ours to lose". Just because his dad is at AU doesn't mean Jake will come. He & his dad are going to make a decision that's best for Jake, & right now it appears AU is not that choice.

That's my point... We're screwing the pooch big-time! If we lose out on Bentley, especially while his dad is on staff, will be one of the biggest recruiting blunders... smh

Or maybe Jake wants to forgo going to a great school where his dad works in order to go to an elite academic school in one of the nicest parts of the country, FAR AWAY from his parents.

I hope he decides to be part of the family, but I'd never blame a kid for choosing Stanford, if it's available to him.

Or maybe Jake wants to forgo going to a great school where his dad works in order to go to an elite academic school in one of the nicest parts of the country, FAR AWAY from his parents.

I hope he decides to be part of the family, but I'd never blame a kid for choosing Stanford, if it's available to him.

A loss is a loss, in recruiting...

A loss is a loss, in recruiting...

True, but some are unpreventable no matter how good your staff is at recruiting.

I think JB has had at least one..and maybe two serious knee injuries...and might not be the best candidate for an SEC level DT-QB....being able to run away from guys in HS....reminds me of all the reasons that people thought JJ would be a running QB at AU. Man...it's a whole different ballgame in the SEC. From what we've seen so far, JB is Luck or Manning type QB...will run if necessary but not a guy that any one is going to build a read option offense around. And as noted above...if Gus can't build an offense around a guy like him (or perhaps SW for that matter) something is not right.

This would be bad if we don't get him- we can spin and dissect it all you want, but in the end it would be a top flight QB who's Dad is on staff and that's one you've gotta bring home. Hopefully we do pull him in so we don't have to hear the spin and excuses from some of our AU brethren.

Chance to play for one of the top coaches in the country at one of the elite universities in the country. Would not blame him at all for choosing Stanford. That's a great opportunity.

Archived