2017 4* QB Jake Bentley

JFDTiger80

Complain about him as you will, Lashlee has a lot more business being the OC of a read-option offense than does either Bentley or Craig.

See, that's the thing. These are the reasons I've heard that CDC should've gotten promoted to OC:

-He's an Auburn guy

-He's a good recruiter

-He was a bad WR coach

-Lashlee sucks

-It doesn't matter who Malzahn's OC is, because it will still be Malzahn's offense*

*This one is the only one that could possibly be arguable, but certainly not if it's a Rhett basher saying it.

Bentley might be a little closer to being qualified, but I agree with Mikey that one bad season with a bunch if inexperienced players- the best two of which weren't on the field for the majority of the season- doesn't make Lashlee less qualified than Bentley. And I'm not a fan of handing out important coaching gigs as a recruiting move. It would've worked once, but Houston Nutt was too stupid to realize it (and he got 4 kids out of the deal).

Edit: Now, if hands were shook and Gus reneged, that's bothersome. But that doesn't mean that Bentley would've been a better OC than Lashlee.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see it's being reported he committed to S Carolina. Good for them but he probably didn't fit with the direction that Gus wanted to go in with more emphasis on athleticism

I see it's being reported he committed to S Carolina. Good for them but he probably didn't fit with the direction that Gus wanted to go in with more emphasis on athleticism

Certainly did not fit the mold of most AU fans who have now declared that only a D-T QB can run Gus's offense. That may or may not be correct ....and the USCe commit may not be permanent......expect Stanford and other pro-style teams to stay after him....JMO

Does Gus even know how to recruit and sign any 4 or 5 star high school QB's? Have we ever had a 5 * QB since he was named AU's head coach?

the USCe commit may not be permanent......expect Stanford and other pro-style teams to stay after him....JMO

Stanford got their QB a week ago. That's part of the reason Jale went ahead & committed to SCe.

Does Gus even know how to recruit and sign any 4 or 5 star high school QB's?

The only HS QB signed that was not a 4* was Queen.

the USCe commit may not be permanent......expect Stanford and other pro-style teams to stay after him....JMO

Stanford got their QB a week ago. That's part of the reason Jale went ahead & committed to SCe.

Unfortunately that's a pretty common perception.....one notable guy signs with a school and the rest of the upper crust players start looking elsewhere as if that guy has already won the starting job 2 years in advance.

Kinda like some kids viewed the AU situation when JJ was signed....."AU had it's QB" for the next 3 years so better go somewhere else. Which is also why AU and Bama and Georgia....and who knows how many schools end up looking around for GranTrans or Jucos so often when the prematurely anointed QB turns out the be lacking.

Since Jake mostly grew up in South Carolina it might be that USCe was a dream for him as a kid....but if the reason for Stanford now being off the list is because Stanford "has their QB"....that's too bad.....and if Stanford thinks their have their QB before the guy even shows up on campus....they could be in for a surprise too.

If I was him, I'd choose Stanford anyway if the coaches would accept two quarterbacks. Stanford is thousand times as good as USCe. Its like choosing North Alabama over Vanderbilt.

If I was him, I'd choose Stanford anyway if the coaches would accept two quarterbacks. Stanford is thousand times as good as USCe. Its like choosing North Alabama over Vanderbilt.

I know. My point was he may not even be able to choose Stanford now.

Do you just enjoy clashing with me for no apparent reason at all? Could you not tell in my above post when I said "if the Stanford coaches would accept him," that I had already considered your point?

Do you just enjoy clashing with me for no apparent reason at all? Could you not tell in my above post when I said "if the Stanford coaches would accept him," that I had already considered your point?

I don't consider our replies to each other as jabs, clashes, nor take them personally. It appears you do & I'm not sure why. You know I nit pick nearly everything from everybody. It's not just you. It's a definite fault of mine & being I'm still doing it at 40, it aint likely to change. Just understand it's a character flaw I have, accept it, & don't take it personally, as it's not a personal attack or any other type of attack at all.

To be honest though I really missed the "If the coaches would take 2 QBs" part of your post. I was focused on the rest of the post & missed that part. My bad.

Unfortunately that's a pretty common perception.....one notable guy signs with a school and the rest of the upper crust players start looking elsewhere as if that guy has already won the starting job 2 years in advance.

Kinda like some kids viewed the AU situation when JJ was signed....."AU had it's QB" for the next 3 years so better go somewhere else. Which is also why AU and Bama and Georgia....and who knows how many schools end up looking around for GranTrans or Jucos so often when the prematurely anointed QB turns out the be lacking.

Since Jake mostly grew up in South Carolina it might be that USCe was a dream for him as a kid....but if the reason for Stanford now being off the list is because Stanford "has their QB"....that's too bad.....and if Stanford thinks their have their QB before the guy even shows up on campus....they could be in for a surprise too.

Sometimes it's also a business decision. Since committing means nothing, a lot of players "commit" to the school where they know they'll be happy if that's where they end up and then keep their options open for something bigger and better. It seems like a lot of the better QBs are starting to commit, so he might be feeling some pressure to secure a spot.

Also, don't forget that schools have a habit of securing a commitment by saying they won't recruit more players at a spot. We've been guilt of that... and reneged on it too.

Or maybe he actually loves USC...

I don't consider our replies to each other as jabs, clashes, nor take them personally. It appears you do & I'm not sure why. You know I nit pick nearly everything from everybody. It's not just you. It's a definite fault of mine & being I'm still doing it at 40, it aint likely to change. Just understand it's a character flaw I have, accept it, & don't take it personally, as it's not a personal attack or any other type of attack at all.

To be honest though I really missed the "If the coaches would take 2 QBs" part of your post. I was focused on the rest of the post & missed that part. My bad.

Humm. Well anybody that can confess their flaws is okay in my book. And I enjoy my conversations with you even when we are clashing. Sometimes I'm picking at you and sometimes we are toe to toe in a dead heat argument. I couldn't tell if you were just picking at me so I had to ask.

Sometimes it's also a business decision. Since committing means nothing, a lot of players "commit" to the school where they know they'll be happy if that's where they end up and then keep their options open for something bigger and better. It seems like a lot of the better QBs are starting to commit, so he might be feeling some pressure to secure a spot.

Also, don't forget that schools have a habit of securing a commitment by saying they won't recruit more players at a spot. We've been guilt of that... and reneged on it too.

South Carolina is not USC. Pet peeve of mine. Tennessee isn't UT either.

South Carolina is not USC. Pet peeve of mine. Tennessee isn't UT either.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit agrees with this statement.

South Carolina was founded 79 years earlier and renamed 15 years earlier. I'm fully in favor of calling them USC despite Southern Cal having better lawyers.

South Carolina was founded 79 years earlier and renamed 15 years earlier. I'm fully in favor of calling them USC despite Southern Cal having better lawyers.

Better lawyers, better athletic program, better education, better location, more prestige, more history and sports related accomplishments. Yeah, I think USC earned their right to be called USC.

Better lawyers, better athletic program, better education, better location, more prestige, more history and sports related accomplishments. Yeah, I think USC earned their right to be called USC.

Obviously you haven't visited USC. It's NOT in a good part of town.

Obviously you haven't visited USC. It's NOT in a good part of town.

I was comparing LA to Columbia.

• 2 weeks later...

Word out of AU is Bentley will finish high school this summer and enroll at USCe this fall. One year early. Already has been cleared by the SEC.

Wowzers.

Word out of AU is Bentley will finish high school this summer and enroll at USCe this fall. One year early. Already has been cleared by the SEC.

Wowzers.

Since you put this in my head & I can't make it stop, I'm putting it in everyone else's head.

Archived