2017 4* QB Jake Bentley

JFDTiger80

Opelika High just threw up a little.....

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word out of AU is Bentley will finish high school this summer and enroll at USCe this fall. One year early. Already has been cleared by the SEC.

Wowzers.

Since you put this in my head & I can't make it stop, I'm putting it in everyone else's head.

Well you made me miss the good days when I watched real cartoons not the anime crap of today. We're even.

Wtf

Wowzers is what the main character, Inspector Gadget, used to say all the time in an old cartoon.

My wtf was the fact that this kid is basically forgoing his whole senior year to go play ball. Never heard of that happening before...

My wtf was the fact that this kid is basically forgoing his whole senior year to go play ball. Never heard of that happening before...

Prince Tega says hello. There have been a few recruits who have reclassified a year early each of the past 3 years.

Prince Tega says hello. There have been a few recruits who have reclassified a year early each of the past 3 years.

Just doesn't feel like a reclassification to me.

And did that gain tega anything ... Well I guess we will see after this coming season, but these kids that come in to school in January (or earlier) really have to decide if there is truly a gain that is worth missing high school.

Guess it differs for every kid. I couldn't have imagined missing any of my senior year.

And did that gain tega anything .

Because he had 2 serious leg injuries within months of each other right after his HS football career ended it severely limited his gains. If he had come in healthy he could have gained a lot.

Just doesn't feel like a reclassification to me.

Anytime you move up the year you graduate from HS it's a form of reclassification.

I don't mind the idea of him reclassifying at all. I like that he's showing initiative to be the best QB he can be. The level of coaching he will receive in college will be much better than at his HS. It sucks that he could've been at AU this summer when it looks like we could use another QB fighting for the spot -- especially if Queen is out for a while.

I don't mind the idea of him reclassifying at all. I like that he's showing initiative to be the best QB he can be. The level of coaching he will receive in college will be much better than at his HS. It sucks that he could've been at AU this summer when it looks like we could use another QB fighting for the spot -- especially if Queen is out for a while.

Guess I don';t see the benefit of skipping he HS Sr year unless he is unusually physically and socially mature.

What this likely means is that he will still red shirt for a year and then possibly become a potential starting QB when he is 18 ....what is the gain from that? He would be an 18 year old playing and competing against 21 or 22 year old guys and history has shown that those additional few years are worth a bunch in the SEC.....can't think of a single advantage of being the youngest player on a team.

Guess I don';t see the benefit of skipping he HS Sr year unless he is unusually physically and socially mature.

What this likely means is that he will still red shirt for a year and then possibly become a potential starting QB when he is 18 ....what is the gain from that? He would be an 18 year old playing and competing against 21 or 22 year old guys and history has shown that those additional few years are worth a bunch in the SEC.....can't think of a single advantage of being the youngest player on a team.

He's already 18. He'll be 19 in 7 months.

Doesn't risk the chance of getting hurt his senior year. As the only guy other than the center guaranteed to touch the ball on every offensive play, that's meaningful.

Might not enjoy high school. Might just be anxious to get to college. Might not see a reason to stick around and be bombarded with recruiting hoopla if he already knows where he's going. Might already have a girlfriend lined up. Might be really, really close to his dad. Could be a million things.

Good luck to him.

I was just about to say he's already 18 but AubTigers beat me to it. He probably reclassed in the past (or got held back or something) and is now graduating with his true class. He's of college age already, why not? And McLoofus brought up some good possible points. Maybe he sees this as his road to the NFL and he wants to get started on it.

Or maybe he just wants to make it so his parents don't have to live in separate states for another year while he finished high school.

What's the real benefit to being in high school another year, if you can graduate early and already have a free college to go to?

What's the real benefit to being in high school another year, if you can graduate early and already have a free college to go to?

IDK, experiencing childhood? But many of these blue chip recruits probably don't really experience it regardless.

IDK, experiencing childhood? But many of these blue chip recruits probably don't really experience it regardless.

Such an important point that is lost on far, far too many fans. We expect these kids to act like normal 17- and 18-year olds, despite the fact that they are not at all treated as such.

I was just about to say he's already 18 but AubTigers beat me to it. He probably reclassed in the past (or got held back or something) and is now graduating with his true class. He's of college age already, why not? And McLoofus brought up some good possible points. Maybe he sees this as his road to the NFL and he wants to get started on it.

Oh, never considered that possibility....most kids who have a traditional school experience are 17 or 18 when they finish the 12th grade. My brother and I were both 17 when we started AU....which was not that unusual as far as I know..

But I do recall that some schools in Texas (and maybe elsewhere) were known to hold promising athletes back a year in middle school so they could be more physically mature when they got into HS.

However this occurred with JB , he will be age-appropriate when he arrives at USCe though looks like he might be giving up any benefit of being 19 while playing in his senior year of HS. As for rushing off to the NFL.....I'd think that being the son of a football coach, he would be more in touch with reality than to be planning his NFL career while he's in his HS Jr yea but who knows these days. Expect was a shock to the OHS coaches who were thinking he could be back next season.

Oh well, takes him off the board as possible flip next season.

Such an important point that is lost on far, far too many fans. We expect these kids to act like normal 17- and 18-year olds, despite the fact that they are not at all treated as such.

I would imagine that is even more the case for the son of a coach. His life has probably been football for a very long time.

I would imagine that is even more the case for the son of a coach. His life has probably been football for a very long time.

Another great point.

He's already 18. He'll be 19 in 7 months.

And raw talent wise he may be the best SCe has on roster when he steps on campus.

Or maybe he just wants to make it so his parents don't have to live in separate states for another year while he finished high school.

He could have transferred back to a school on Carolina. Would not have been an issue.

Archived