Any updates on Trovon Reed

JwgreDeux

I remember listening to one of the XM sports talk shows the year TR signed with us. An older guy who was a big LSU fan called in talking about LSU's greatest players. He was crushed about losing TR to AU...said he was the most electrifying player he'd ever seen in watching 40 yrs of LA HS football. I hope TR's time has finally come.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think TR was a qb in HS and never transformed to a true WR. Athletic talent to burn but not football talent for the position. He may or may not transform that talent into production on defense but i dont think it was a huge loss on the offense either. Playing man coverage at CB there is not a ton to learn at least not as much as if it were safety or LB. I do think this is the best move for Auburn and Trovon. This is a late career move but i feel good about it.

Well, hello back to Trovon Reed? I'm curious, who on the roster that played WR last season is no longer with the team? That's right... nobody. Heck, we even lost Denson for a good portion of last season and he's back. Now we're told about some freak JUCO transfer and y'all think a picture of Reed without his shirt means he is going to be an impact player? Heck, I can take a picture with my shirt off, doubt you would want to see it, but does that make me the starting RB?

Tell me, when was the last time a 5th year senior came out of nowhere to suddenly be a star, more specifically in a situation when no depth was lost from the previous season? And to add to that, no coaching changes. There is absolutely no evidence that suggest Trovon Reed will be an impact player. Who knows if he'll even see the field outside of scrub time during blowouts.

Not knocking the kid, it's a law of numbers. It's also credit to the other players who are on the field.

Look, I get it. Auburn has the greatest players on earth. Our 4th string walk-on QBs are better than Jameis Winston because they go to Auburn and bleed orange & blue. But come on guys, you can't claim you are excited to see 10 different WRs. It's OK that Trovon Reed won't make a difference.

I hope I'm wrong and the guy ends up being a stud. But there is no evidence to suggest that is the case. And if you think he will, let's make a wager. He will not be the #1, #2, #3, or #4 receiver on the team. Pretty sure he won't even make the top 5 or 6 when you include RBs. Heck, Jay Prosch had almost more receptions than him last year.

OK, now it's time to go get pumped up about Jonathon Wallace as being our stud QB. I think there is a picture of him somewhere out there.

Maybe you should actually read the thread. This is about Trovon playing DB, not WR. He has a legitimate chance to either start or see significant playing time. Dude is an elite athlete. We just need to see how naturally he can return to the corner position after playing it in high school

Everyone is so ornery on here. Football season needs to start ASAP so we can all get along again lol.

If Reed gets lots of pt the next season against the big dogs I would be surprised outside of a D. McNeil type scenario with Mincy. Not doubting his ability but going from wide receiver to starting corner in the SEC is not an easy task. I wish he would have made this decision a couple of years ago, but then again he had potential there then. I would say at most he gets playing time with some mop up duty and special teams. IF he does gets considerable playing time, it would be because the two freshman have failed to impress. They need the opportunity to be thrown in the fire like Holsey was

If Reed gets lots of pt the next season against the big dogs I would be surprised outside of a D. McNeil type scenario with Mincy. Not doubting his ability but going from wide receiver to starting corner in the SEC is not an easy task. I wish he would have made this decision a couple of years ago, but then again he had potential there then. I would say at most he gets playing time with some mop up duty and special teams. IF he does gets considerable playing time, it would be because the two freshman have failed to impress. They need the opportunity to be thrown in the fire like Holsey was

You are about to be surprised then. The kid is a natural at that position, he should have been there all along.

I've never seen the point of saying a player is incapable of something before he's had the chance to prove otherwise.

:bow: my sentiments exactly

I really hope Reed does well at CB and gets some meaningful minutes. He and Benton were 2 I was expecting big things from that just never produced. Personally I question whether Reed has the body type to be a really good corner. His measurable look good but he has just always looked tiny out there on the field to me. I think he can keep up with WRs in coverage but can he help on run support as well? Can he get physical with the big WRs and not get pushed around? I have no doubt he'll give it his all and I hope it works out for him!

I really hope Reed does well at CB and gets some meaningful minutes. He and Benton were 2 I was expecting big things from that just never produced. Personally I question whether Reed has the body type to be a really good corner. His measurable look good but he has just always looked tiny out there on the field to me. I think he can keep up with WRs in coverage but can he help on run support as well? Can he get physical with the big WRs and not get pushed around? I have no doubt he'll give it his all and I hope it works out for him!

After Denson went down, Reed was the most physical blocking WR we had last year. I don't know how transferable that skill is to the other side of the ball, but make no mistake, he's a tough dude.

Also, last year's Thorpe Award winner and current Cincinnati Bengal Darqueze Dennard's wiki page lists him at 5'11 202. Trovon is listed at 6'0 190 on the AU roster. The 3rd and 4th ranked CBs in this most recent NFL draft were listed at 6'0 190 and 5'10 189, respectively.

Don't forget, Tre Mason was also too small, first to be an every-down back in the SEC and then to be an NFL RB... according to Auburn fans.

Those who question whether TR has what it takes to be a good SEC corner must not have watched him very close in the A-Day game. The only way a CB could get tighter coverage on a WR than he did would be to sew their jersey to the WR's. The fact that he played that well but hadn't played the position for 4 years speaks to how good he really is. He was impressive imo.

He did look good at A-Day.

I don't think his playing time says anything about the freshmen. If you think about it, both are playing college-level CB for the first time, but Reed is physically prepared to play on this level in a way that they likely are not. He's been through the weight training, etc., and he's been through spring ball at the position. While he's "knocking off the rust" from his high school days (where you played both ways, I believe), he doesn't have to adjust to the speed or physicality of the game on this level. If I were guessing, he's a half-step ahead of them from a preparedness perspective.

If they play ahead of him, it will mean they picked up the game very quickly. If he plays ahead of them, I'm not sure it says anything about them.

I know Kiehl was recruited as a DB but he always wanted to play QB, and I can tell that 2012 + the amount of competition and his place in it definitely shook up his decision, and I'm sure he wanted to help Auburn in a way that actually mattered, not as a 3rd string backup @ QB.

kiehl never really got what he wanted to do in his head and focused on it. when he switched to defense he admitted he had thought about it since the previous spring(which says a lot about his focus on the qb race) . then midway through fall camp he switches with little time to adjust. i think kiehl was talented enough to play several positions had he set his mind and 100% of his heart on it. He never did and it might not be all his fault. Trovon was a good corner in HS. he made the switch in January, i think, He has focused, trained, studied, practiced, lived.... the cornerback position for 8 months now. He and Kiehl are not that comparable.

If you don't think Frazier was completely focused on playing QB in 2012, then you're delusional. Trovon switching to CB is very comparable to Frazier switching to Safety.

Someone remind me about A-day. Was he on the D that played against mostly 3rd stringers and walk on or was he on the D that played against the 1st and 2nd stringers?

Clearly I did not know he was moving to DB. Still don't see him making an impact on defense. Trying to think of the last offensive player to move to the secondary and he is now playing at some small school in Arkansas.

Dude, Jonathan Ford, seriously.........shakes head

Wrong. Ford started out as a DB, he didn't move from the offensive side of the ball. He was recruited as a RB (DB to other schools) may have practiced as a RB, but was switched to DB before his first season ever started at Auburn.

Someone remind me about A-day. Was he on the D that played against mostly 3rd stringers and walk on or was he on the D that played against the 1st and 2nd stringers?

The latter.

Those who question whether TR has what it takes to be a good SEC corner must not have watched him very close in the A-Day game. The only way a CB could get tighter coverage on a WR than he did would be to sew their jersey to the WR's. The fact that he played that well but hadn't played the position for 4 years speaks to how good he really is. He was impressive imo.

Just like Frazier, Reed knows the ins and outs of the offense he was running against. He played WR for 3 years in that O, he knows where the WRs were going as the ball was snapped. It's real easy to jump routes and play tight coverage when you know the route the WR will be running. This is an extremely similar situation as KF's position switch last year. I hope Reed wins the Thorpe award, but I honestly don't even think he'll get a lot of playing time. I'd love to be wrong on this, but looking at it objectively with past evidence, that's my judgement.

I don't see how TR's chances of success can be measured against what Frazier did at all. Apples and oranges.

I don't see how TR's chances of success can be measured against what Frazier did at all. Apples and oranges.

Oh my god! They are different people but the situation is exactly the same.

Frazier:

Recruited at QB & DB (safety) Played both in HS

Played several years on offense at AU

Was ineffective at offensive position

Switched to D after being passed on depth chart

Played well in practice against the offense he ran for several years (perceived as amazing progress at new position)

Struggled against offenses he hadn't run for several years

Transferred

Reed:

Recruited at QB, WR & DB Played all in HS

Played several years on offense at AU

Was ineffective at offensive position

Switched to D after being passed on depth chart

Played well in practice against the offense he ran for several years (perceived as amazing progress at new position)

TBD

Point being, just because Frazier failed to make a successful transition has no bearing on Trovon doing it- much like the previous success Travarious Robinson had switching to D was not an indication of any success Frazier would have.

There was never a time when Frazier was running with the first team defense. Ever. Reed did that in spring. So that's one difference that's already occurred.

I know Kiehl was recruited as a DB but he always wanted to play QB, and I can tell that 2012 + the amount of competition and his place in it definitely shook up his decision, and I'm sure he wanted to help Auburn in a way that actually mattered, not as a 3rd string backup @ QB.

kiehl never really got what he wanted to do in his head and focused on it. when he switched to defense he admitted he had thought about it since the previous spring(which says a lot about his focus on the qb race) . then midway through fall camp he switches with little time to adjust. i think kiehl was talented enough to play several positions had he set his mind and 100% of his heart on it. He never did and it might not be all his fault. Trovon was a good corner in HS. he made the switch in January, i think, He has focused, trained, studied, practiced, lived.... the cornerback position for 8 months now. He and Kiehl are not that comparable.

If you don't think Frazier was completely focused on playing QB in 2012, then you're delusional. Trovon switching to CB is very comparable to Frazier switching to Safety.

Only at a surface level.

he might have been focused for a minute or two in 2012 but it waned quickly. My point was he didn't focus on safety until mid fall camp when he bailed on the QB race and admitted he had considered it the previous season.

Archived