So if we moved on from Ellis J... (Edit we did)

Dual-Threat Rigby

I'm not one to go on and on about bammer or whatnot but how come when Saban showed up at bammer the defense got better immediately? Year 2 his defense keeps rolling? Moved offense players to defense, started freshmen and they just kept improving.

I think it's because he's a defensive minded coach. If you remember our offense got better immediately, despite the cluster showing they put on the year before.

Might have something to do with the top rated recruiting classes he has brought in. Talent makes a world of difference and JMO but a lot of people think that AU has as good talent as bama....which is far from true....both in quality and depth. Been some comments about 5* Reuben sitting on the bench at bama...and that he would be playing at AU...which is true...but which also tells us the degree of talent deficit we have.

It is true that they have better talent. Now the question is why aren't these top rated defensive recruits coming here, where they can play immediately vs riding the pine for 2 years in turdville

Linercash.jpg

check2-300x111.jpg

Charger.jpg

foster-hums.jpg

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not one to go on and on about bammer or whatnot but how come when Saban showed up at bammer the defense got better immediately? Year 2 his defense keeps rolling? Moved offense players to defense, started freshmen and they just kept improving.

I think it's because he's a defensive minded coach. If you remember our offense got better immediately, despite the cluster showing they put on the year before.

Might have something to do with the top rated recruiting classes he has brought in. Talent makes a world of difference and JMO but a lot of people think that AU has as good talent as bama....which is far from true....both in quality and depth. Been some comments about 5* Reuben sitting on the bench at bama...and that he would be playing at AU...which is true...but which also tells us the degree of talent deficit we have.

It is true that they have better talent. Now the question is why aren't these top rated defensive recruits coming here, where they can play immediately vs riding the pine for 2 years in turdville

NFL success, Alabama is a defensive powerhouse/Auburn is a defensive atrocity (of the past 6 seasons or so)

Yes and there is a reason for that. If a player had confidence that a coach was going to help him reach that goal, regardless of the system used, they would give us a closer look.

For Gus, walk down the hall, with cellphone in hand, fire Ellis, dial up DJ Durkin DC at Florida and hire him,

now how simple would that be?

All schools give something that's just what that is. Well check this out their defense is more talented and deeper why is it they play their young superstars and we don't? Seems like we'd be playing more doesn't it?

one thing that bama can sell defensively is their consistency and continuity. And Continuity, IMO, leads to consistency. I'm not saying EJ needs to stay or go, I'm saying the turnover at DC is hurting in recruiting and on the field as well.

Ellis is here to stay. Hope this is now settled.

WT, I think you're assuming way too much. I thought before this game that this was the more likely scenario. Maybe a chance amongst the position coaches (like bringing in Travaris Robinson). But I'm not sure Ellis survives this game, or really these last 5-6 games. I tend to agree with Jay Tate...no one doubts CEJ's knowledge of the game but there's a breakdown in communicating that knowledge to the players and getting that to translate into improved play on the field. 55 points is just insane when the offense plays like it did tonight.

I have little confidence that Ellis will return. It might happen, but whereas I thought it was about 65% or so before, I think the chances are closer to 40% now.

NFL success, Alabama is a defensive powerhouse/Auburn is a defensive atrocity (of the past 6 seasons or so)

Yes and there is a reason for that. If a player had confidence that a coach was going to help him reach that goal, regardless of the system used, they would give us a closer look.

You honestly think any recruit has more confidence that Auburn can get them further in life on defense than Alabama? I don't think I've heard a single recruit say anything like that in a while

WT, I think you're assuming way too much. I thought before this game that this was the more likely scenario. Maybe a chance amongst the position coaches (like bringing in Travaris Robinson). But I'm not sure Ellis survives this game, or really these last 5-6 games. I tend to agree with Jay Tate...no one doubts CEJ's knowledge of the game but there's a breakdown in communicating that knowledge to the players and getting that to translate into improved play on the field. 55 points is just insane when the offense plays like it did tonight.

I have little confidence that Ellis will return. It might happen, but whereas I thought it was about 65% or so before, I think the chances are closer to 40% now.

This is kinda how I feel about the situation

Malzahn was asked whether he foresees changes being made on the staff, including defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson.

"I'm not going there right now," Malzahn said. "Right now we're disappointed we got beat and that's it."

He could have shot down the possibility, but didn't......

He can't. Ellis just peed away 44 points on UAT.

I wouldn't wish the spot Gus is in on anyone but Saban.

Something is going to have to give. One or two position coaches are going to get the axe if Ellis stays and they could end up following him out the door. I love continuity in the staff as much as anyone and would love to see a staff stay together for 10 years. If they perform well then you are going to have position coaches leave to become coordinators and coordinators leave to become head coaches. The reality is you seldom get an entire staff to stay together for 3 years in a row regardless of how well the team performs. Turnover is a constant.

The way Florida played FSU today, and UGA previously, I'd certainly want to take a look at Florida DC Durkin.

You have to wonder how much of it is Durkin and how much is Muschamp. They may have a similar coaching practice like Lashlee/Gus.

I'm not sure I would want to take a gamble. People need to be prepared for a very average-to-bad defense if we hire a new DC. It'll take some time implementing a new scheme and recruiting players to fit it...again.

This is one of the main reasons we have had a bad D the last 6 years. 4 DC's in 6 years. The turnover and inconsistency is what hurts.

Average to bad would be a step up.

Lets just be honest: Nobody on this forum knows a damn thing.

However, if he is gone: Bo Pelini just got fired from Nebraska. He had some legit defenses under Miles at LSU. I'd be down for Bo if he brought his cat.

However, if he is gone: Bo Pelini just got fired from Nebraska. He had some legit defenses under Miles at LSU. I'd be down for Bo if he brought his cat.

If a change is to be made, Pelini should get strong consideration.

wG6l0e_5_400x400.jpegI'll start the fan club.

wG6l0e_5_400x400.jpegI'll start the fan club.

HAHA!!! LOVE IT!!!!! :laugh:

Archived