Four changes Will Muschamp will bring to auburn Defense

cooltigger21

I don't expect CWM perform a miracle game 1. However i do expect to see a much better fundamental defense. Solid tackling, communication and guys being in the right position to make plays. That alone should make us a better defense.

I'm looking for a steady progression. If we look more like the 2008 defense by the end of the season, I would call that a success.

Agree.

For $1.8 M I'm looking for a miracle....we could have gotten steady improvement for half that money....and besides, CWM is not likely going to be here long enough for us to witness "steady improvement" with him as the DC.

You are missing so much

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't expect CWM perform a miracle game 1. However i do expect to see a much better fundamental defense. Solid tackling, communication and guys being in the right position to make plays. That alone should make us a better defense.

I'm looking for a steady progression. If we look more like the 2008 defense by the end of the season, I would call that a success.

Agree.

For $1.8 M I'm looking for a miracle....we could have gotten steady improvement for half that money....and besides, CWM is not likely going to be here long enough for us to witness "steady improvement" with him as the DC.

You are missing so much

Possibly ...but pardon my cynicism....I remember when VanGorder was going to bring us an NFL defense and when EJ came after having highly regarded defenses at several SEC schools. So, guess I will just wait and see....but nice to see the enthusiasm out there....and hope you are correct.

Agree.

You are missing so much

Possibly ...but pardon my cynicism....I remember when VanGorder was going to bring us an NFL defense and when EJ came after having highly regarded defenses at several SEC schools. So, guess I will just wait and see....but nice to see the enthusiasm out there....and hope you are correct.

None of them had been successful defensive coordinators at auburn before though. I think Muschamp will do it again

Not even seeing the forest from the trees. It matters because:

1) Keeping up with bama - I think we are now ahead

2) Recruiting - We are 1 year away from playing in the NC, this is when we should start seeing big recruiting upswing. We are doing well, but not on DL. Muschamp will bring a new level in, guys we were not in on before. This hire will make our recruiting class top 5.

3) Proven winner more so than anyone you mentioned. Check the stats. He is the best D coordinator in college football right now.

4) We are not UAB, South Alabama, Etc...: We have made a commitment to the football team as a University. We understand football makes $$ for everything in the University. It is big business, you can save $$ on a D coordinator and make no splash at all. He might even do well, but again, this is big business, we need results right away. AU has $$ to spend. Why not be all we can be right now?

poor argument

The best move in our defense this coming year will be getting the DC out of that darn booth and down on the field coaching and motivating. You can't do that in a booth!!!!! WDE CWM!!

I agree and am hoping it makes a huge difference.

How old are his kids? I know he said his family was a large reason he took the job. I could see him sticking around till kids got out of school if the are not to far away from graduateing. If you are married you know if moma ain't happy ain't nobody happy, and I would imagine mama is happy being close to home and letting kids stay st a school and graduste.

The best move in our defense this coming year will be getting the DC out of that darn booth and down on the field coaching and motivating. You can't do that in a booth!!!!! WDE CWM!!

I wanted someone to bring this up because I have a question. Who does the DC trust in the box to tell him what is going on in the field. Thats seems like a big deal.

2) Recruiting - We are 1 year away from playing in the NC, this is when we should start seeing big recruiting upswing. We are doing well, but not on DL. Muschamp will bring a new level in, guys we were not in on before. This hire will make our recruiting class top 5.

3) Proven winner more so than anyone you mentioned. Check the stats. He is the best D coordinator in college football right now.

4) We are not UAB, South Alabama, Etc...: We have made a commitment to the football team as a University. We understand football makes $$ for everything in the University. It is big business, you can save $$ on a D coordinator and make no splash at all. He might even do well, but again, this is big business, we need results right away. AU has $$ to spend. Why not be all we can be right now?

poor argument

umm..

1. Keeping up with those ugly reds.. How are we ahead?

BOOM can motivate. :jossun: We should expect to see sound fundamentals and player develop and then see them play with an '' old style AU defense'' kind of attitude.

The beauty of it is that Coach Boom doesn't have to accomplish miracles his first year. All he has to do is give Gus an above average defense to go with that offense and it will make a huge difference. So with a 60 ranking being average let's say we have a top 40 defense. Muschamp can do that and better.

Exactly! That's all i've ever wanted. Just give me average at least. With our offense that's all we needed.

poor argument

umm..

1. Keeping up with those ugly reds.. How are we ahead?

I'll take Malzahn and Muschamp over saban and kiffin. How about you?

If Saban was Auburn's coach for the past 7 years and winning at the same rate as he has at bama, would you say he is better than CGM and CWM? I think everyone would say that he is better. What this hire tells the world is that auburn is not going away quietly. I hope that CWM can turn the defense around.

... By the way, who is Coach cheese?

Harbison.

Where does that moniker come from? Is that what players call him or just an AUF thing? Every time I see it, my brain goes to Chizik first.

... By the way, who is Coach cheese?

Harbison.

Where does that moniker come from? Is that what players call him or just an AUF thing? Every time I see it, my brain goes to Chizik first.

It's a nickname he has had for some time. I have no idea of how it came about.

Hopefully he'll be able to sway some defensive studs that where gonna go to UF to come with him on the plains. Maybe with his eye for defense we wont completely wiff on all our defensive recruits. It seemed like the past couple years all our players on that side where either not that highly recruited to begin with or busts(besides Lawson and Big #1). Dont know why a defensive recruit wouldn't want to come,its a place to see the field soon and be in contention for championships which usually doesn't go together.But hey thats just me. With our offense we don't have to have a defense ranked in the top 10 like will's usually are. Dont get me wrong that would be amazing and unfair for our opponents but is prolly asking to much. very rarely are teams great on both sides. All we need is a defense that averages holding folks to the mid 20's and that has some resemblance of a backbone and fight and we will have a great shot to win every game we play.

We may be able to hold on to Muschamp for longer than most of us are expecting. I don't consider his tenure at Florida as monumental a failure as has been portrayed, but it has to be difficult to lose that many games at a place like UF. It may take a bit longer for WM to restore his image, and in the meantime, ADs are probably going to be looking for young up and comers rather than what they consider known commodities. I could eaily see him being our DC for 4-5 years or longer, especially in light of his stated preference to be a DC at a championship program to a mid or low level HC.

This!!!^^^^^. That has been a pet peeve of mine every since EJ arrived. The booth is no place for the DC to hang out. That should be a knowledgeable assistant. Looking forward to having a DC that can get in his players' faces and coach em up during the game, certainly can't do it from the press box. WDE!!!

Hopefully he'll be able to sway some defensive studs that where gonna go to UF to come with him on the plains. Maybe with his eye for defense we wont completely wiff on all our defensive recruits. It seemed like the past couple years all our players on that side where either not that highly recruited to begin with or busts(besides Lawson and Big #1). Dont know why a defensive recruit wouldn't want to come,its a place to see the field soon and be in contention for championships which usually doesn't go together.But hey thats just me. With our offense we don't have to have a defense ranked in the top 10 like will's usually are. Dont get me wrong that would be amazing and unfair for our opponents but is prolly asking to much. very rarely are teams great on both sides. All we need is a defense that averages holding folks to the mid 20's and that has some resemblance of a backbone and fight and we will have a great shot to win every game we play.

I'm not convinced that the players who haven't contributed yet are busts. I just tink that most of them have not been developed properly. I believe boom will change that.

I'm not convinced that the players who haven't contributed yet are busts. I just tink that most of them have not been developed properly. I believe boom will change that.

Agreed. The recruiting services certainly mis-rate some players every year, but overall they provide a good picture of talent. With that being said, even with a few "busts" we have an extremely talented group on defense overall.

This!!!^^^^^. That has been a pet peeve of mine every since EJ arrived. The booth is no place for the DC to hang out. That should be a knowledgeable assistant. Looking forward to having a DC that can get in his players' faces and coach em up during the game, certainly can't do it from the press box. WDE!!!

John Chavis begs to disagree....

Carl Lawson, Andrew Williams, Trey Matthews, a healthy Josh Hosley, a more experienced Cassinova McKinsey and Kris Frost, along with Montravious Adams I think will make a huge impact that will be a huge improvement IMHO

Muschamp's history includes much more than just 4 years at UF as this article seems to suggest, I agree with some but not all of it. Yes the energy, sacks and aggression interceptions will come. And Will is a players coach with impeccable integrity (even at slimy UF. No, text book fundamentals probably will not. Recruiting will b great (nobody was harder on ole Ellis than me but his recruiting has always been Mushamp-esque).

Archived