2016 4* QB Woody Barrett (AU commit 6/3/15)

RunInRed

I couldn't tell if this was already posted or not, but thought it was interesting to see WB get some accolades. link

Woody Barrett got the nod for SEC Country’s Offensive Recruit of the Week honors following a highly impressive performance Friday in his school’s playoff game.

Barrett, a 2016 Auburn quarterback commit, had 207 yards passing, rushed for 144 yards and scored all six touchdowns in West Orange High School’s 41-26 win over Mandarin High School (Jacksonville, Fla.). Barrett’s performance helped lead West Orange High School to its firs appearance in a state semifinal.

“Our offense just kept on scoring,” Barrett told SEC Country. “We are a tough team. (West Orange) wide receiver Eddie McDoom kept on getting open along with all of our other playmakers. We actually had a couple of touchdowns called back on us, but it’s all good.”

Barrett is ranked as the nation’s No. 4 dual-threat quarterback and is the state of Florida’s No. 31 prospect. He committed to Auburn in June.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love that he's a potential EE, throw him in the mix and see what happens. Win win for all either way.

I keep forgetting that, and it's true of several of our top recruits. It's like Christmas morning each time.

Very illuminating write up from @ChaddScott. Mostly good but with some detailed critique of mechanics and such.

“Auburn and Lashlee/Malzahn run the perfect offense for his skill set,” my friend said.

The more my friend watched him, the more he warmed to Barrett’s talent.

“OK, that kid’s pretty danged good” was the final analysis. “Elite arm strength — efficient motion with a couple of adjustments that need to be made when he starts his throwing motion. His delivery point is fine, but he sets the ball low. His pocket presence is solid for a kid that can run whenever he wants to.”

By the end of the game, he had a much more favorable comparison for Barrett: Anquan Boldin.

Boldin is a WR who played at Florida ST,.and is now in the NFL.

Yes he was. And he was never considered a speedster. What is Barrett's forty?

Scout says he is 4.66

Rivals says 4.65

That is similar to what they said Cam was.

Scout says he is 4.66

Rivals says 4.65

We spend to much time looking at 40 speed. Quickness is more important. JJ has a very solid 40 time but it takes him a while to get up to speed. It is the quick decision and the first 2 or 3 steps that matter a whole lot more than 40 speed in football. Look at shuttle times or 10 yard sprint as better indicator of whether a QB can escape from pocket or do zone read and pick up yardage. 40 speed might indicate what a player can do once in the open long gain versus medium gain but you have to get into the open before it matters.

Scout says he is 4.66

Rivals says 4.65

We spend to much time looking at 40 speed. Quickness is more important. JJ has a very solid 40 time but it takes him a while to get up to speed. It is the quick decision and the first 2 or 3 steps that matter a whole lot more than 40 speed in football. Look at shuttle times or 10 yard sprint as better indicator of whether a QB can escape from pocket or do zone read and pick up yardage. 40 speed might indicate what a player can do once in the open long gain versus medium gain but you have to get into the open before it matters.

Yup. Cam was quick. Jeremy is not. They probably run around the same 40.

Heck, Sean White is quicker than Jeremy and therefore a more effectively mobile QB.

And I'm not sure how many times I have to remind you others that the guy in the article was comparing Barrett to Boldin when he was high school and played quarterback.

Scout says he is 4.66

Rivals says 4.65

Yup. Cam was quick. Jeremy is not. They probably run around the same 40.

Heck, Sean White is quicker than Jeremy and therefore a more effectively mobile QB.

And I'm not sure how many times I have to remind you others that the guy in the article was comparing Barrett to Boldin when he was high school and played quarterback.

Seems the QBs who are the most trouble to get hold of are the ones who are shifty.... not necessarily fast in a straight line. Cam and Nick...both rarely took more than a couple steps in any particular direction before they made a "move" of some sort.....which is where the quickness seems to be a big factor. JMO but the 40 time is not very significant for many positions on the football field since it's usually the first 5-10 yards or so after the ball is snapped that really matters.

Seems the QBs who are the most trouble to get hold of are the ones who are shifty.... not necessarily fast in a straight line. Cam and Nick...both rarely took more than a couple steps in any particular direction before they made a "move" of some sort.....which is where the quickness seems to be a big factor. JMO but the 40 time is not very significant for many positions on the football field since it's usually the first 5-10 yards or so after the ball is snapped that really matters.

The big 40 time is useless unless you can get past the secondary... if you are shifty enough to do that, then it's the difference between getting a touchdown and getting tackled from behind. Cam showed that perfectly against LSU,when he turned on the jets to escape Patrick Peterson. It doesn't matter how overall fast Sean and Jeremy are, because they are not likely to get into the open. Someone like Woody, however, who is shifty, fast can equal touchdowns.

I WISH we had a running back who could turn on the jets this year. There were a few times where we had an open field and got drug down from behind.

The big 40 time is useless unless you can get past the secondary... if you are shifty enough to do that, then it's the difference between getting a touchdown and getting tackled from behind. Cam showed that perfectly against LSU,when he turned on the jets to escape Patrick Peterson. It doesn't matter how overall fast Sean and Jeremy are, because they are not likely to get into the open. Someone like Woody, however, who is shifty, fast can equal touchdowns.

I WISH we had a running back who could turn on the jets this year. There were a few times where we had an open field and got drug down from behind.

Does Roc Thomas not qualify?

Only when he's not hurt...

I truly believe that Roc Thomas and Jason Smith are game changers. I was quite disappointed that Malzahn wasn't able to get them more involved. So many missed opportunities this year. Instead we relied on one and two yare runs up the middle with PB.

I truly believe that Roc Thomas and Jason Smith are game changers. I was quite disappointed that Malzahn wasn't able to get them more involved. So many missed opportunities this year. Instead we relied on one and two yare runs up the middle with PB.

I think Roc could be a game changer, but the fact that he left, what was it, 5 game injured means he needs to do something to get more prepared for the beating he's going to take. Roc and Jovon could be a killer 1-2 punch.

As for Jason... I don't get it, but Gus always seems to have that one guy on every team that he always "needs to get the ball to more" but never does. I'm sure the collapse in our overall strategy had something to do with it, but I don't know why he didn't get more sweeps and the like than Richardo.

Ricardo was awesome on the jet sweeps this year. It was one of the only decently functioning pieces of our offense. Also, he was the most experienced skill player on the team and we couldn't dependably get him the ball through the air (yes, he dropped some passes, which in no way means it's his fault that a lot of other passes that should have gotten to him didn't). It made sense that he got those carries.

Smith was worked into the offense. We had several talented guys with more experience who also failed to get many touches, because our offense was dysfunctional. Jeremy's and Duke's meltdowns, White's injury, the inexperience at center, HB and TE and the constantly shuffling OL threw everything into disarray. It's an extremely rare team that can weather that storm. Everybody made a huge deal about Ohio State's quarterback situation last year because that never happens. Anyway, I have no problem with the way Smith was used. He'll be a focal point next year. He's a known quantity now.

As others said, Roc couldn't stay on the field enough to get more touches. And, again, Gus's playcalling was hampered by personnel issues. Maybe he was too conservative or overthought the situation, but his "questionable" playcalling was almost certainly a response to the fact that he didn't have the horses to compete with. That 3rd and 2 play is a microcosm of the entire season. There is no right play for a bad offense...

...which is why we're so excited about Woody Barrett. A guy like that makes the playbook bigger, as long as he's a complete quarterback. I think he can be.

Anyway, I have no problem with the way Smith was used. He'll be a focal point next year. He's a known quantity now.

I hope so. I remember having similar conversations a few years back about Trovon Reed... who ended up being a pretty good DB...

Anyway, I have no problem with the way Smith was used. He'll be a focal point next year. He's a known quantity now.

I hope so. I remember having similar conversations a few years back about Trovon Reed... who ended up being a pretty good DB...

I hear ya, but I don't remember Trovon stealing anybody else's deep looks. Seems like the only time we ever threw him the ball was for those terrible bubble and jailbreak screens, except there was never a bubble nor jailbreak because nobody blocked for the man and the ball was always delivered slowly and behind him. I digress. I'm optimistic for Smith's role next year, but I could be wrong.

Just an update West Orange was defeated last Friday by Osceola 35-14. Osceola had a great defensive game plan to contain him and Woody had his worst game of the year. It happens...

Asking a lot for a true freshman to be your starting QB

That's not really what tigerman1186 said. He said "DTQB". So It could be that he's hoping Barrett is the starter after Sean White wins the Heisman twice and then goes pro after his junior year. (the Heisman part is for Cole256)

Archived