2016 4* QB Woody Barrett (AU commit 6/3/15)

RunInRed

An announced crowd of 5,940 witnessed an epic revival of a rivalry game Friday at West Orange High School.

Woody Barrett rushed for a three-yard touchdown with 23 seconds left, then scored on the two-point conversion to give No. 6 West Orange a 41-34 win over No. 3 Dr. Phillips.

Ben Bollinger intercepted Dr. Phillips quarterback Marvin Washington on the final play and took it back for a touchdown.

The loss for Dr. Phillips ended its 35-game regular-season winning streak.

"At the end we had another played called, a pass call, and Woody Barrett said, 'I want the ball, give me the ball,' " Head said. "Woody played incredible, and he's played incredible all season. He's done nothing but lead our team the right way and that's done every day at practice."

Barrett was phenomenal in the win. He rushed 27 times for 217 yards and three touchdowns and went 12-of-21 passing for 142 yards and two scores.

His number was called 10 times on the game-winning drive.

But the West Orange defense held up, giving the Warriors the chance to score twice inside the final four minutes of the first half.

A three-yard run by Barrett to open the second half gave West Orange a 20-13 lead. Washington tied the game on a one-yard carry on the following possession. A touchdown from Barrett to Naquan Renalds and from Washington to Alvin Bryant followed to kept the game tight in the second half.

West Orange is at Jacksonville Trinity Christian on Friday. Dr. Phillips hosts No. 2 Apopka.

West Orange 41, Dr. Phillips 34

FIRST – D: Bargnare 3 run (Stockwell kick). SECOND – D: Hogan 35 run (kick failed); W: Renalds 7 pass from Barrett (kick failed); W: Barrett 1 run (kick failed). THIRD – W: Barrett 3 run (Barrett run); D: Washington 1 run (Stockwell kick); W: Renalds 7 pass from Barrett (Adamson). FOURTH – D: Bryant 67 pass from Washington (Stockwell kick); D: Washington 2 run (Stockwell kick); W: Barrett 3 run (Barrett run); W: Bollinger 20 INT return (no conversion).

Thanks for posting this, good info!

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woody's #8 West Orange team is playing at undefeated and #1 Apoaka tonight. Both are in 8A classification. Plan on going but looks like rain with maybe lighting. It will be on Brighthouse Cable channel 47at 7:30

There will be a ton of college coaches there between both teams there 8 or more college prospects.

A little write up on the matchup

About the matchup: For the fourth time in the last two years, West Orange and Apopka will go head-to-head in the Bright House Sports Network Game of the Week.

Defending state champion Apopka enters this game as the No. 1 ranked team in Class 8A. The Blue Darters single wing offense is rolling up nearly 400 yards rushing per game with backs Demetri Burch, Deshawn Massey, Odunayo Seriki and Dekwon Wilsonsharing the load. Burch (80 car, 572 yds, 5 TD) and Massey (51 car, 518 yds, 5 TD) are averaging more than 100 yards per game while Seriki (26 car, 483 yds, 7 TD) is just below that mark. An inexperienced offensive line is showing steady improvement and has two promising sophomore tackles in Will Barnes (6-4, 297) and Ed Montilus (6-4, 295). Apopka’s offense has completed seven passes and Burch threw the team’s first touchdown pass last week against Orlando University. Apopka’s defense is allowing 166.8 yards per game with a stout front four led by Gavin Johnson. LinebackerLaQuan Hicks is third on the team in tackles with 28 and has five blocked kicks (three extra points, two field goals).

West Orange topped Apopka in the regular season last year before getting demolished 42-0 in the second round of the playoffs. The Warriors are loaded with college prospects, most notably quarterback Woody Barrett, who is committed to Auburn. Barrett has thrown for 577 yards and seven touchdowns while rushing for 609 yards and eight touchdowns. His primary target in the passing game is three-star recruit Eddie McDoom, who has 466 yards receiving and five touchdowns. Towering lineman Stone Forsythe (6-7, 325), a Florida commit, anchors the offensive line. Winter Springs transfer Ben Bollinger is the Warriors leading tackler with 59 and three interceptions. An opportunistic West Orange defense has forced 11 turnovers in the first five games.

Three and out:

1. Friday night will mark the 11th meeting between Darlington and Head as head coaches. Darlington’s teams have won six of the 10 matchups while Head’s squads have prevailed in three of the last five.

2. Apopka has made 15 consecutive playoff appearances while West Orange has only reached the postseason six times in program history.

3. Apopka’s three state championships put the Blue Darters in a tie with Cocoa and Merritt Island for the most state titles in Central Florida history.

Yep gotta love that name decided not to go dark clouds all over the place. Will watch on TV

Tell us what happens

Here's what happen last night. Woody looked very good. Apopka had been averaging 45 points a game.

http://www.orlandose...51002-story.htm

Woody Barrett accounted for three touchdowns for West Orange but it was the Warriors defense that did the dirty work in knocking off the defending Class 8A state champions Friday.

West Orange (5-1, 1-0 in 8A-2) kept the host Blue Darters (5-1, 0-1) out of the end zone on three trips inside the 20-yard line in a 28-3 win.

Apopka, ranked No. 2 in the Sentinel Super 16, was held without a touchdown for the first time since losing in the opening round of the 2011 playoffs to Timber Creek.

"We're a bend-but-not-break defense," West Orange coach Bob Head said. "Our kids just weren't scared. They're resilient and fearless and I'm very proud of them.

"When you get a chance to beat a team like that you gotta be truly honored."

Barrett capped drives of 95 and 88 yards with touchdown runs of 28 and 15 yards, respectively, to give the No. 3 Warriors a 21-3 lead late in the third quarter.

West Orange's defense took care of the rest. The Warriors forced Apopka to turn the ball over twice on downs on the night. Ki-Jana Zow forced a fumble on a sack with two minutes left and Nolan DeFranco took it back 10 yards for a touchdown.

"They're the team to beat," Zow said. "This feels great. We just went out there tonight and did our jobs."

Apopka was held to a 24-yard field goal from Logan Minniear on its opening drive after converting on a fourth down by way of a 13-yard run by Demetri Burch. But the drive stalled.

Zow tripped up Burch from behind on fourth down later in the first half to help preserve an early lead.

West Orange got in front on their second possession despite a sluggish start offensively. Barrett put the Warriors up 7-3 when he connected with Naquan Renalds over the middle for 34 yards.

Barrett finished with 160 rushing on 16 carries and went 5-of-9 passing for 78 yards. West Orange tallied 320 yards while Apopka was held to 227.

Burch led the Blue Darters with 110 yards rushing on 24 carries. Ben Bollinger recorded 11 tackles for West Orange.

"We knew it was Apopka and it was a big deal," Bollinger said. "But this week was just like any other week for us, rough and physical, and practicing like that all year has got us peaking at this point in the season."

jcarnahan@orlandosentinel.com

West Orange 28, Apopka 3

FIRST – A: Minniear 24 field goal. SECOND – W: Renalds 34 pass from Barrett (Adamson kick); W: Barrett 28 run (Adamson kick). THIRD – Barrett 15 run (Adamson kick). FOURTH – W: DeFranco 10 fumble recovery (Adamson kick)

Woody has good touch with the ball but he will need some work to become a complete QB. He is very even keel/mature for being so young. I just hope we have the staff that can develop his potential as a passer.

Woody has good touch with the ball but he will need some work to become a complete QB. He is very even keel/mature for being so young. I just hope we have the staff that can develop his potential as a passer.

Even keel players are my favorite. That is good news.

I'm beginning to seriously doubt our ability to develop any position, especially qb. Haven't seen good player development for several years now.

I'm beginning to seriously doubt our ability to develop any position, especially qb. Haven't seen good player development for several years now.

Do you have an idea why about a dozen coaches that have been successful at player development throughout their careers have suddenly forgotten how to teach football?

Do you have an idea why about a dozen coaches that have been successful at player development throughout their careers have suddenly forgotten how to teach football?

I don't'. I've followed AU football for about 50 years. I was excited when I saw the caliber of players we started recruiting 6-7 years ago thinking we were entering a new era of AU football. Then, a National Championship in 2010 gave me hope for sustained excellence. I loved 2013 but other than that I've seen miserable quality football and mediocre effort that looks worse than 1998 under Bowden and maybe even the Barfield years. Since you're so f-----g smart about Auburn football and football in general why don't you give me your insight as to the "issues". I'll hang up and wait for your response.

I don't'. I've followed AU football for about 50 years. I was excited when I saw the caliber of players we started recruiting 6-7 years ago thinking we were entering a new era of AU football. Then, a National Championship in 2010 gave me hope for sustained excellence. I loved 2013 but other than that I've seen miserable quality football and mediocre effort that looks worse than 1998 under Bowden and maybe even the Barfield years. Since you're so f-----g smart about Auburn football and football in general why don't you give me your insight as to the "issues". I'll hang up and wait for your response.

:popcorn:

:popcorn:/>

+1. :)

Quote:"

You made the above statement. What I asked is how you explain your thoughts. Since you responded with "I don't", it seems that I got my answer.

LOL. I said I don't have an answer for why our highly rated recruiting classes seem to be performing at a poor level. I guess I equate that with player development. I don't pretend to have an answer for why that is or to have special insight into the (current) inner workings of the program. All I know is that I observe a poor product on the field and have for 3-4 of the last 7 years (and,yes, I do realize that we have dealt with two different coaching staffs and turnover). Do you have an answer for why this is the case? Perhaps you can provide some real insight or football knowledge rather than just spouting b------t about linebacker recruiting and Gene Chizik being a "home-run" hire. LMAO.

LOL. I said I don't have an answer for why our highly rated recruiting classes seem to be performing at a poor level. I guess I equate that with player development. I don't pretend to have an answer for why that is or to have special insight into the (current) inner workings of the program. All I know is that I observe a poor product on the field and have for 3-4 of the last 7 years (and,yes, I do realize that we have dealt with two different coaching staffs and turnover). Do you have an answer for why this is the case? Perhaps you can provide some real insight or football knowledge rather than just spouting b------t about linebacker recruiting and Gene Chizik being a "home-run" hire. LMAO.

Do you think the linebacker recruiting and linebacker play has been just fine and that Chizik didn't lead us to a national championship?

This thread is for discussing Mr. Barrett. If you want to discuss Gene or Gus take it to PM's

Sounds great to me. I'm excited about Woody coming to AU. I hope we can hold on to his commitment, get him to AU, and actually develop his talent as the excellent player that he appears to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the West Orange vs Orlando Evans tonight to see Barrett play. Statistically he was average but he has all the tools. Will need good coaching at the next level. West Orange has a RB name Derrick Williams, that kid is impressive. Very quick and good

Went to the West Orange vs Orlando Evans tonight to see Barrett play. Statistically he was average but he has all the tools. Will need good coaching at the next level. West Orange has a RB name Derrick Williams, that kid is impressive. Very quick and good

Thanks for posting this.

Archived