2016 4* QB Woody Barrett (AU commit 6/3/15)

RunInRed

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woody had a excellent game last night. He has great leadership character. Wish I could have made it to the game but it was played in Jacksonville.

First time West Orange has ever made the final 4 with one more game to win to be in the finals. Also never heard a team have a 27 play drive and still did not score. . WOW

http://www.orlandose...1128-story.html

Woody Barrett is quick to credit his teammates for the way they handled themselves in Friday’s Class 8A, Region 1 football final.

But every time West Orange needed a score, the ball was in Barrett’s hands.

Barrett accounted for all six of the Warriors touchdowns, running for four and passing for two more. The quarterback directed six quick-strike scoring drives of five plays or less in diffusing an attempted rally by host Jacksonville Mandarin during a 41-26 victory.

With Barrett rushing for 144 yards and throwing for 207 more, West Orange (12-1), the No. 1 team in the Sentinel Super 16, is in the state semifinals for the first time in school history. The Warriors will travel to Kissimmee Osceola (12-1) next week for the right to play for the state title.

“I was running hard, the O-line did a good job and the receivers made plays,” Barrett said. “We did this as a team. We knew we had to go out and score by any means.”

That's because, despite jumping out to a 21-0 first-quarter lead, the Warriors saw their advantage shrink as Mandarin (12-1) rallied behind quarterback Tyler Greenlee’s 326 passing yards and three touchdown passes.

http://www.trbimg.co...120/400/400x225

PICTURE GALLERY: Check out pictures from high school football playoff games of teams in the Orlando-area.

Twice, the Mustangs, who were ranked third in the state, pulled to within a score in the second half. Twice, Barrett and his teammates answered with quick drives that took less than 1:10 off the clock.

“We tried to counter, and Woody Barrett just stepped up,” West Orange coach Bob Head said. “We tried to get the ball in his hands and Eddie McDoom’s as much as possible.”

While Eddie McDoom had a huge game with six catches for 159 yards and two scores, the defense also played a hand in the victory. Twice, the Warriors stopped Mandarin on fourth-and-1 circumstances in West Orange territory, once on the Mustangs’ opening series and again in the fourth quarter.

http://www.trbimg.co...826/400/400x225

PICTURE GALLERY: Check out photos of fans and bands from the 2015 high school football season in Central Florida.

The Warriors also survived a marathon 27-play drive :bow: engineered by Greenlee to run out the final eight minutes of the first half. Mandarin drove from its own 5 to as close as the West Orange 4 but, with time running out in the half, the Mustangs missed a 27-yard field goal attempt to keep the game at 21-7.

Will be an interesting off season of QB comp

http://www.scout.com/college/auburn/story/1617600-barrett-enjoys-iron-bowl-experience

Although he wasn’t on his official visit four-star Auburn quarterback commitment Woody Barrett got another long weekend on the Plains and left solidly committed to the Tigers. Still playing this season with his West Orange team heading into the semi-finals this coming week against Osceola, Barrett said everything about his Iron Bowl experience went well.

“It was a great atmosphere,” Barrett said. “I feel like they came out and did a good job. The offense didn’t put up some points, but it is what it is. I enjoyed myself. I look forward to Auburn being my next home.”

Missed opportunities were the story of the game for the Tigers against Alabama with Auburn’s offense having multiple chances for big plays in the passing game only to come up empty-handed. Barrett said while watching that he could picture himself in Auburn’s offense making plays, something he believes he’ll have a chance to do early in his career.

“There were some plays where he (Jeremy Johnson) could have thrown the ball,” Barrett said. “He was probably seeing something different. I feel like I could come in and be a big asset to the team right away. I’m going to try to get in here in the spring and do the best I can to start.

“They just want me to be me,” he added. “We run a similar offense back at West Orange so there’s nothing new, it’s just the signals. Once I get that down pat they said I could just come in and be the dual threat and just be me.”

Trying to graduate early and enroll at Auburn in January, Barrett said as long as he keeps on track academically in the next few weeks that should be able to happen. Because of the uncertainty he said he’s not sure when he’ll take his official visit to Auburn and at the moment doesn’t have plans for any other official visits.

Saying that he’s looking for a big role in Auburn’s offense moving forward Barrett said he’s not concerned with a 6-6 season because he believes the Tigers are a quarterback away from being right back in the hunt.

“Every team has its ups and downs,” Barrett said. “Auburn is still one of the top SEC teams. It’s just all a matter of time.”

Barrett's perception is the same as Franklin's perception. I wonder what SW's perception is? Only one will make their perception a reality, should be a great QB competition in the spring.

Well you acknowledged Franklin even in the qb race and there is a competition so looks like he gained some with you. But looks like here's another qb that was TOLD things by the coaches. So once again either they are lying or not

I think SW perception is I have competition coming in I better work, which is hopefully how everybody is feeling

Coaches please have a plan for assessing skill and leadership this Spring and Fall. I fully agree with Woody, we are just a solid QB from being legitimately good again. I Nick Marshall was especially good at working the zone-read like a work of art; however, am hoping our next starter has the skills and the freedom to actually decide the option himself. We need to be able to see a starter asap, that means someone has jumped out and is heads and shoulders ahead of the others. From me, best wishes to them all.

Coaches please have a plan for assessing skill and leadership this Spring and Fall. I fully agree with Woody, we are just a solid QB from being legitimately good again. I Nick Marshall was especially good at working the zone-read like a work of art; however, am hoping our next starter has the skills and the freedom to actually decide the option himself. We need to be able to see a starter asap, that means someone has jumped out and is heads and shoulders ahead of the others. From me, best wishes to them all.

"Okay." Gus

It's a lot like a job interview, HR tells you in an interview what they need and that you are a good candidate. Your perception, as the candidate, is you have all the tools the company needs and you are going to land the job. The reality is up to what the company really wants, which may not be what you were lead to believe.

There are people on this board that believe Gus is going only with a DT QB next year and that SW shouldn't even try. I'm not one of them. I think SW has fought on every level to prove that he is a great QB dispite his lack of size and perceived arm strength. I'm a fan of what he brings to the table. That being said, who ever starts the season off next year at the QB position, I will support and hope they are the stud we need.

Nobody has said that about white, and it's certainly no reason to say this guy is just being told a story but they don't really want him they are just telling him a story. If for nothing else to have a back up if SW gets hurt.

Sorry, I had a little leap of logic about the White comment not competing. I don't think the coaches are telling anybody a story. I believe the coaches want all the QBs to come to Auburn and do well, but only one will be the starter.

I graduated from a highschool a little ways away from where Woody is from, been seeing him and his recent performances all over Facebook from non auburn fans. Looks like he could be a good one, excited to see what he can do

Looks like the coaches are lying to everybody.....their perception must be off all around

They are telling them all the truth: "Be the best QB and you'll start". No lies involved.

Barret and Franklin have the same perception. The coaches have told them to come in and compete and if you are good enough to win the job so be it. That isn't coach speak that is the truth. JJ did not pan out, White showed he could pass but did not set the world on fire you can say with White that it was play calling but it doesn't matter he didn't shine when given the opportunity. Can White develop into a great QB? Maybe but I could say the same for Franklin or Barrett at this time.

Any quality Juco or HS QB that watched Auburn this year thinks they can come in and win the job and I believe the coaches will favor White because he knows the system but will still give the others a chance to win the job. If you remember when NM came in in the fall a few years ago nobody thought he would win the job but he did win it.

Archived