2016 4* QB Woody Barrett (AU commit 6/3/15)

RunInRed

Academics is almost always an issue of concern I bet....he has more than a year of HS ahead of him and some kids seem to think that when they get the offer and make the commitment that their work is done. I don't know what college coaches are allowed to know about a kid's academic progress or performance but our history has shown that you can't take anything for granted. Just hoping that he stays focused. Otherwise, he looks great.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody has work to do until they graduate. The coach quote from the OP does not state nor imply Woody is struggling academically. As someone else pointed out a page or so back the coach @ Woody's commitment ceremony said he is doing well academically

He has a strong arm, but his mechanics need work, and I think anyone can readily see that.

I'm not a QB analyst nor claim to be but his mechanics don't look that bad to me at all, in fact they look pretty good to me. They are definitely a lot better than Nick Marshall's were & more consistent than Pass's IMO.

But I'm not ready to anoint him Cam2 just yet.

I don't think anyone is.

With E here all the way. I don't think his mechanics are bad. In fact his arm positioning and release look pretty good. He steps into the ball ok but drags his back foot a little. Arm looks strong and accurate. As they say, no expert, just slept at the Holiday Inn.

Academics is almost always an issue of concern

Actually it's usually no more than 3 or 4 per class that have concerns.

For only having played QB for 1 year his mechanics are pretty good and because he has only played it for a year it will be easier to make some small modifications. Somebody who has been doing something wrong for a long time has muscle memory built in which is much harder to correct as they do it without thinking it just happens.

His size, running and arm strength make him a real Talent we are very lucky to get him.

:wareagle:

Academics is almost always an issue of concern

Actually it's usually no more than 3 or 4 per class that have concerns.

And with AU has done the last two years, all the kids have made it in academically. This staff is on that part of it.

I have seen a couple gifs of Woody throwing at the camp but I haven't heard much about how he is doing. Any news?

I have seen a couple gifs of Woody throwing at the camp but I haven't heard much about how he is doing. Any news?

I agree. I don't think he made the finals.

I agree. I don't think he made the finals.

Well that stinks.

Have there been reports about other players?

From Barton Simmons:

With Saturday in the books at the Elite 11, I liked what I saw out of Woody Barrett. The thing to keep in mind with Barrett is that he's on the early end of his development. I think he's going to be a fringe guy in terms of landing an Elite 11 finals invite. It could go either way. But that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to like. He's as physically advanced as any QB out there. He almost looks like a LB playing QB sometimes. The ball comes out of his hand with great spin and he has good velocity. All the arm talent is there. The next step for Woody is to continue to become more accurate and consistent. That's the only thing separating him from some of the other elite guys that were out there. that can come though and I think it will. The other thing I liked about Barrett was that he is having fun out there. He is a kid that seems to really enjoy the work part of football and he's got great energy.

LINK

From Barton Simmons:

With Saturday in the books at the Elite 11, I liked what I saw out of Woody Barrett. The thing to keep in mind with Barrett is that he's on the early end of his development. I think he's going to be a fringe guy in terms of landing an Elite 11 finals invite. It could go either way. But that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to like. He's as physically advanced as any QB out there. He almost looks like a LB playing QB sometimes. The ball comes out of his hand with great spin and he has good velocity. All the arm talent is there. The next step for Woody is to continue to become more accurate and consistent. That's the only thing separating him from some of the other elite guys that were out there. that can come though and I think it will. The other thing I liked about Barrett was that he is having fun out there. He is a kid that seems to really enjoy the work part of football and he's got great energy.

LINK

Sounds good to me. I'm excited about his commitment.

Finals invites go out over the next couple of weeks. They are not all announced today.

Woody will be very good as a QB but once he gets to AU I think he can become special. I am closer to the Apopka program but I plan on seeing Woody 3 or 4 times this year at Dr. Phillips

The good thing is that hopefully he won't need to be called upon for another 3 years or so.

The good thing is that hopefully he won't need to be called upon for another 3 years or so.

yes. If he is comparable to Nick then imagine what we would have had with Nick at 4-5 years or had worked with him before juco. He'll redshirt and be a competitor after

This is the first time I've really, truly believed in the succession of QBs at Auburn. We need Barrett to stick and I'd like to see another in the class, but your comment rings true and that is just awesome.

It feels like Woody is getting the Tre Mason treatment. Few were impressed or excited when Tre committed. I am very glad we have Woody. Welcome home, Woody.

I agree, Bird. Hope Woody turns out to be a player like Tre!

The negativity about recruiting in general is getting really old ....

Recruiting is going great besides DL. Barrett is going to be a stud.

It feels like Woody is getting the Tre Mason treatment. Few were impressed or excited when Tre committed. I am very glad we have Woody. Welcome home, Woody.

I agree, Bird. Hope Woody turns out to be a player like Tre!

The negativity about recruiting in general is getting really old ....

Recruiting is going great besides DL. Barrett is going to be a stud.

I agree. Our head coach is one tough son of a gun. He is going everywhere he needs to to bring in the right recruits. We will be fine, if we figure out the Dline stuff.

Archived