2016 4* QB Woody Barrett (AU commit 6/3/15)

RunInRed

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news. He is a very strong kid and I think he could be very good considering he will have several years to learn the system as well as his passing before he will be needed on the field.

@CoachSFountain: War Eagle ! Feels Great to Be an Auburn Tiger ! Working Magic in The City of Orlando ! BOOM !!

Young man can run the ball, but his passing mechanics are downright awful. His coach says that his accuracy is a problem that they are working on. And also that his academics are an issue that they are working on. I think I'm going to just take a wait-and-see view for now. I hope he makes the big jump this season, improves his passing -- both in the classroom and on the field.

Young man can run the ball, but his passing mechanics are downright awful. His coach says that his accuracy is a problem that they are working on. And also that his academics are an issue that they are working on. I think I'm going to just take a wait-and-see view for now. I hope he makes the big jump this season, improves his passing -- both in the classroom and on the field.

Wow. Where did you see that? I am not expert by any means, but what part of his mechanics are awful? Feet, release, arm motion ? The only clip I saw he was throwing on the run so I couldn't tell much.

Young man can run the ball, but his passing mechanics are downright awful.

Certainly you are being hyperbolic. Which mechanics are you talking about?

Wow. Where did you see that? I am not expert by any means, but what part of his mechanics are awful? Feet, release, arm motion ? The only clip I saw he was throwing on the run so I couldn't tell much.

He will be at the Elite 11 this weekend so maybe they will have some info on his mechanics after the event

I know there are a lot of quarterback experts on this board . I learn a lot here .... Good grief

Woody is a great get . Fits our system perfectly

@CoachSFountain: War Eagle ! Feels Great to Be an Auburn Tiger ! Working Magic in The City of Orlando ! BOOM !!

Good play on words by Coach Fountain and on another note West Orange High is Apopka's biggest rival. Schools are less then 10 miles from each other. Ask Chandler Cox how good Woody is

Now let's just hope he is out front in recruiting for us offensively. Hope that he bonds with Nate, Eli, Kyle D and any other top flight receivers on our radar for this class. Him being proactive can help out a lot IMO.

Good play on words by Coach Fountain and on another note West Orange High is Apopka's biggest rival. Schools are less then 10 miles from each other. Ask Chandler Cox how good Woody is

Heck yeah, if one watches the highlight clip, he lit Apopka up, and Apopka won the State Championship.

WOODY! WOODY! WOODY!!!

I can't speak to the academic situation, and it may be a concern, but I think this assessment is too harsh in terms of his mechanics. I've seen a lot of his film, and he looks like a future quality college QB to me. Definitely a dual-threat QB, not a pocket passer. I would compare his skill set to Robert Griffin. Of course, he is only 17 years old, but that would be my projection at this point. Clearly, some things to work on, not as accurate as Sean White at the same stage, but one hell of a prospect.

Auburn may be looking at signing another QB, because of Woody's academics, just in case he doesn't qualify. If he has to go juco then no guarantee he resigns with Auburn. If Auburn signs another QB, then it might be Juwan Pass. I've watched his film too. Pass reminds me of Jeremy Johnson with better feet but with some work to do on his mechanics. Kind of tall and thin, and he needs some time in the weight room. Pass reminds me of Joe Flacco or Tyrelle Pryor, but much better scrambling ability. Since Woody has committed to Auburn, I doubt that Pass would sign also, but happy to have him if he wants to stay close to home. My guess is Louisville or North Carolina would be the most likely destination. He would get earlier playing time at those schools. But, if he were willing to wait his turn and learn, probably needs a redshirt season as well, but Malzahn could turn him into the best QB in the SEC by the time he was a senior.

I can't speak to the academic situation, and it may be a concern, but I think this assessment is too harsh in terms of his mechanics. I've seen a lot of his film, and he looks like a future quality college QB to me. Definitely a dual-threat QB, not a pocket passer. I would compare his skill set to Robert Griffin. Of course, he is only 17 years old, but that would be my projection at this point. Clearly, some things to work on, not as accurate as Sean White at the same stage, but one hell of a prospect.

Auburn may be looking at signing another QB, because of Woody's academics, just in case he doesn't qualify. If he has to go juco then no guarantee he resigns with Auburn. If Auburn signs another QB, then it might be Juwan Pass. I've watched his film too. Pass reminds me of Jeremy Johnson with better feet but with some work to do on his mechanics. Kind of tall and thin, and he needs some time in the weight room. Pass reminds me of Joe Flacco or Tyrelle Pryor, but much better scrambling ability. Since Woody has committed to Auburn, I doubt that Pass would sign also, but happy to have him if he wants to stay close to home. My guess is Louisville or North Carolina would be the most likely destination. He would get earlier playing time at those schools. But, if he were willing to wait his turn and learn, probably needs a redshirt season as well, but Malzahn could turn him into the best QB in the SEC by the time he was a senior.

At his announcement his head coach said, "Woody is doing a great job in the classroom". No insider knowledge here, but I don't think his coach would have said that if he anticipated a problem.

Archived