2016 4* QB Woody Barrett (AU commit 6/3/15)

RunInRed

Young man can run the ball, but his passing mechanics are downright awful. His coach says that his accuracy is a problem that they are working on. And also that his academics are an issue that they are working on. I think I'm going to just take a wait-and-see view for now. I hope he makes the big jump this season, improves his passing -- both in the classroom and on the field.

Maybe Loeffler will run a QB clinic. ;)

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when we used to get 3 star qb's and then "coach em up"? I think we have gotten spoiled since 2010. Out of the thousands of qbs in the nation, this is the #7 DT QB in the NATION! And of all the great universities he chose Auburn! War Eagle Woody Barrett, welcome home!!!!!!

What caliber of QB? Maybe he should have gone to Bama instead of AU.

Sometimes you just have shake your head and move on.

Well when you've got a JJ on the roster it's kinda hard to get real excited about this caliber of QB.

I can't believe you know what your talking about. Both JJ and Woody were 4 stars in HS. We all think JJ is going to be great, but Woody has great potential as a DT QB.

First off, having JJ doesn't really affect my feelings about Barrett, considering that the one year they might be on campus together, Woody will likely be redshirting (even if JJ has a great season and goes pro early).

Second, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the coaches wanted to get two QBs in this class since they only signed Queen in February? It makes good sense to keep 5 out of the 85 scholarship spots open for the most important position on the field, no?

And, as to my thoughts on this commit, honestly I've not done much film study of either Barrett or Pass, but what I read about our new QB developing consistent touch on deep passes already is beyond encouraging. If that report is accurate, then he becomes a resounding threat from the moment he steps on the field even if he is lagging behind with short accuracy and reading throwing lanes, because no matter what, his arm stretches the defense vertically to compliment his running ability. If he develops all three skills, then the race to take over after Johnson moves on just got INCREDIBLY interesting.

There is a huge discrepancy in the position rankings for this guy. ESPN has him as the #3 DT QB and Rivals has him as the #16 DT QB. I don't think that many top programs would offer the #16 DT QB. Thanks Rivals, you are incredible.

There is a huge discrepancy in the position rankings for this guy. ESPN has him as the #3 DT QB and Rivals has him as the #16 DT QB. I don't think that many top programs would offer the #16 DT QB. Thanks Rivals, you are incredible.

Considering that last season was his first starting at QB and he has been rising rapidly, my guess is that Rivals just hasn't evaluated him recently. Based upon everything I've gathered about him (limited time frame, but the internet provides a great deal of information..lol), I'm guessing that he will be a 5.9 or 6.0 five star by Rivals' ratings whenever they update at the end of the summer, provided that he has a solid showing at the Elite 11 camp.

It feels like Woody is getting the Tre Mason treatment. Few were impressed or excited when Tre committed. I am very glad we have Woody. Welcome home, Woody.

I've never seen a group of people so unexciting for such a talent.

This

I thought I was pessimistic but dang, guys.

So are you thinking Barrett and Pass, or Barrett and another QB that hasn't been talked about much?

Woody & another IMO. They are still working on Pass though.

I'm no QB scout and I may be in the minority here but based on the highlight film, I prefer Barrett over Pass by quite a bit. He has a nice quick release, good arm, nice crispness on his throws, and seems to lead his receivers really well. It's always hard to tell from high school film but his vision and pocket presence appear to be above average as well at this point in his career. Add on to all that a decent read option game and I really think he is an underrated prospect.

I see more athleticism and maybe more potential with Pass but he is so raw that it's risky to go all-in on him.

Agree that Woody is further along and more polished now, but ceiling for Pass a little higher.

Get this. Last year was Woody's 1st year to ever play QB so I'm not sure Pass has the higher ceiling.

If I were Barrett and heard all this negativity I would probably decommitt and play for a fan basethat was excited about me. You guys are kill joys. I trust that Malzhan, U of A, Notre Dame, OU and all those other schools are a better evaluator of talent than the people in this message board.

In your opinion, do you think Woody going to be the only QB we'll have in the 2016 class?

Leaning to no right now.

Young man can run the ball, but his passing mechanics are downright awful. His coach says that his accuracy is a problem that they are working on. And also that his academics are an issue that they are working on. I think I'm going to just take a wait-and-see view for now. I hope he makes the big jump this season, improves his passing -- both in the classroom and on the field.

Mechanics part is incorrect per most nearly every analyst & I have not seen the academics part mentioned.

If I were Barrett and heard all this negativity I would probably decommitt and play for a fan basethat was excited about me.

You would be making a huge mistake. Good thing these guys don't commit to a fanbase, right?

It makes good sense to keep 5 out of the 85 scholarship spots open for the most important position on the field, no?

Staff's preferance is 4 so JJ's decision will likely play a huge factor on if we take 2 QBs or not.

They are slow on him & that's ok. They are still the #2 site in the industry & have shown in the past to make the biggest jumps w/ recruits along w/ 247. So that shows they are open to changing their minds.

If I were Barrett and heard all this negativity I would probably decommitt and play for a fan basethat was excited about me.

I wouldn't. Just another chip on the shoulder to prove people wrong.

Here's a great, deep, & thorough analysis & breakdown of Woody LINK

Ervin Barrett, who goes by the nickname of ‘Woody,’ has the goods any major college coach ideally wants for a true dual-threat quarterback.

Especially one that can operate the up-tempo, ‘no huddle, no mercy’ attack.

Run down the checklist and Barrett’s got it: size, speed, upside, arm talent, football IQ and scheme fit.

Auburn hit an absolute home run at quarterback as Barrett verbally committed to the Tigers at a press conference at Winter Garden (Fla.) West Orange High School Wednesday afternoon.

Barrett chose Auburn over offers from Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Kentucky and others.

It’s an ideal fit for player and program.

Personally, this observer recognized Barrett’s special talents the first time my eyes laid on him.

Back on August 19, I only needed to watch West Orange practice for an hour and Barrett showed the talent of a national prospect.

This was before many, if any, offers had rolled his way. Before he started a varsity game for West Orange.

Barrett was hitting every throw on the money. He had huge, Barry Sanders-like thighs and was explosive with the ball in his hand.

I made the call to Director of Scouting Barton Simmons, the man that handles rankings for 247Sports, and less than an hour later Barrett was moved from a three-star athlete to a four-star national dual-threat quarterback (insert story link flush: LINK ).

You could just see the upside and explosion in this quarterback.

Barrett proved good on that ranking moving forward. He rocked West Orange’s fast-paced spread scheme to an 11-1 record to the tune of 45.6 points per game.

Barrett hit on 61-percent of his throws (86-of-139) for 1,558 yards and 24 touchdowns.

He added 813 yards rushing and nine touchdowns.

His junior film, some of the nation’s best of any quarterback, circulated that winter. Offers followed.

He’s now ranked as the nation’s No. 6 dual-threat quarterback and the No. 30 overall prospect in the always loaded 2016 class in Florida according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

But what makes this guy, the guy they call ‘Woody,’ just what the doctor ordered for Auburn?

What doesn’t, is more like it.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder is physically impressive with a 255-pound bench press, a 365-pound squat and the guy runs consistent times in the 4.55-second range. His fastest 40-yard dash, a 4.48, came at South Carolina camp two summers ago. The same place where he threw a football 70 yards in the air.

As a thrower, Barrett’s arm is not only rocket-fueled but he’s already learned to add touch on his deep fades and seam reads. He has the accuracy on the deep ball that can open any box.

As a runner, Barrett has the vision, burst and shakes to rip considerable gains via the zone-read. He also is fearless and powerful when the play breaks down to make tacklers miss and run over the opposition.

On one play during his junior campaign, Barrett mishandled a shotgun snap in the shadows of his own goalpost. ‘Woody’ didn’t bat an eye. He picked up the loose ball, made a move in his own end zone, and took off…107 yards later he scored.

Whether it’s with his arms or legs, it’s a lethal combination. Exactly what Auburn coach Gus Malzahn looks for in a guy to be the point guard of his high-tempo attack.

Helping his development has been West Orange Offensive Coordinator Collin Drafts. This is Drafts’ latest protege as he also groomed Florida State four-star quarterback signee Deondre Francois a year earlier at Orlando (Fla.) Olympia.

Drafts, who played quarterback for Charleston Southern and in the Arena League, has taken Barrett’s raw skills as a runner and passer and refined the mechanics, improved his knowhow in terms of reading the field and most of all made Barrett into a viable quarterback prospect.

Prior to the player-coach inception, Barrett did have early offers as an athlete. Those could’ve been as a linebacker or as a running back. A year later - and make no mistake, America’s best, especially those who utilize a spread, dual-threat system - fought over Barrett to play the game’s most important position.

The selection of Auburn makes sense in many ways. He enters college having run the same scheme.

There’s system familiarity. There’s also the physical tools to do what it takes on a high level for that system to flourish. And all of his best ball lies ahead. He’s only played the position for a year. All of his mental and physical gains are yet to come.

It’s a scary combination to try and defend in many ways. But aren’t all elite dual-threat QBs?

This is the next one and he’s headed to Auburn.

Archived