2016 4* ILB Rahshaun Smith

aucanucktiger

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is Maryland starting to really pull ahead in this race or something?

Maryland hired Smith's long time coach Cory Robinson as director of player personnel. Cory is like a dad to Smith. That's the Maryland link. I still like AU's chance here.

So is Maryland starting to really pull ahead in this race or something?

Maryland hired Smith's long time coach Cory Robinson as director of player personnel. Cory is like a dad to Smith. That's the Maryland link. I still like AU's chance here.

Good to hear. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Made his final 4. Announcing Jan 2 at the UA All-America game.

Good to hear but I'm not holding my breath for this one. Would be awesome if we did get him though.

Good to hear but I'm not holding my breath for this one. Would be awesome if we did get him though.

Yeah, I was just noticing that it seems like 247 has him going to Clemson.

If I'm not mistaken he was committed to Clemson at one time.

If I'm not mistaken he was committed to Clemson at one time.

Correct. I had forgotten that.

I know Gus is trying to hire the right guy, but I would feel better about this kid if AU had a DC. Big kid and a big need for the 2016 class. Any idea who is his main recruiter?

I know Gus is trying to hire the right guy, but I would feel better about this kid if AU had a DC. Big kid and a big need for the 2016 class. Any idea who is his main recruiter?

I would assume for now RG and LT

I don't think it would take much to "turn it."

Honestly, I know lots of folks think we need numbers in this class, but I'm not sure that's really true. We need two or three quality guys. That's it.

If I told you that, between two signing classes, we signed: 4* - Darrell Williams, Richard McBryde, Jeff Holland, and Jordan Colbert; 3* - Tre Threat and Montavious Atkinson; plus one or two more that fit in that caliber of player. . . you're not worried about whether we signed enough numbers. That would be seven or eight LBs in two classes. That's where you want to be numbers-wise. So, I don't think I share the opinion that our LB group is a lost cause, when Davis, Smith, and Mbem-Bosse uncommitted plus other guys that might be targets/commits of that current coordinator. Personal opinion (that isn't shared by others), signing 2-3 LBs in this class would be fine; signing 1 LB is a bad thing.

We need two or three quality guys. That's it.

Heavy emphasis on the word "quality". We're not looking to maintain our current level of LB play.

between two signing classes, we signed: 4* - Darrell Williams, Richard McBryde, Jeff Holland, and Jordan Colbert; 3* - Tre Threat and Montavious Atkinson

Colbert and Atkinson are still listed as DBs. Maybe they'll end up being impact LBs, but it's hard to assume that. Of the guys you mention, Holland is the only one to have shown us anything at LB. I'm optimistic about a couple others, but optimism hasn't been rewarded at that position in several years.

Auburn needs a stud LB in this class. Threat might be that guy, but he'd certainly have to exceed expectations. Davis and Smith are very long shots. We look good with EMB, but do he and Threat alone constitute a good class? We might be finding out.

Atkinson practiced with LBs all year. I know that. Colbert, I'm not sure about. It's possible that Atkinson could move back in the offseason, but I doubt it. We're pretty deep at Safety (Matthews, Ford, Roberts, Ruffin, and Irvin all started games at Safety or Nickel this year).

While it's fine to say only one of last year's signing class showed us anything this year, it's also more than a little misleading. That implies that those guys have failed to do something they should have done. The reality is, they were brought in with an eye toward redshirting behind three Senior LBs and a seasoned Sophomore, in a defense that tended to play more Nickel (with Irvin and Ford) than true 3- or 4-man LB groups. Holland earned a spot, and that's about all we needed with Cass, Kris, Garrett, and Williams already locked into the rotation. They haven't shown anything, but we didn't expect them to play either. It's not a knock on any of those guys. It's a less slanted statement with regard to Cam Toney and Deshaun Davis and (possibly) Javy Mitchell. Those guys have been year multiple years. Last year's class has been here for one semester.

Again, personally, if you told me we were going to add Mbem-Bosse, I don't think this class is a miss. Seven LBs in two years is your target. You'd rather have a 4/3 split so that you don't end up with big roster gaps when they leave together, but seven dudes is seven dudes. Those seven would be sprinkled across multiple graduating groups. Holland and Atkinson played all season. I'm not sure about the others, and I suspect either Threat or Mbem-Bosse would redshirt.

You're right that I implied that those guys had failed to show us anything, but what I intended to communicate was that we don't know if they'll be quality guys or not. They were quality recruits, for sure, but quality players? Fingers crossed.

I stand corrected on Atkinson, but I still feel like we need a stud in this class and would like a little more insurance than the two guys we're most likely to land.

I hear you. I'd love to add Smith or Davis and Mbem-Bosse. I just don't think it's necessary. The problem we've had at LB is that we chain smoked small classes. In 2012, 2013, and 2014, we signed two LBs in each class. That can't happen. But if the 2013 class had been five solid LBs, it's not as big a deal. Ideally, you'd sign three or four every year, but five in one year and two in the next is okay.

The level of play has to be raised and raised significantly. Part two of that is that the LB position has a higher percentage of "disappointments" than most other positions, and that's true everywhere, not just at Auburn.

We need two more very solid prospects to make this year's LB class acceptable. We are once again naming a bunch of names we'll have at linebacker next year, but so far only Tre Williams has looked like what we need.

There is talk of having six QB's on scholarship next year in hopes that one comes through. The LB position is in no better shape than QB and we may well want to field three LB's at once, whereas only one QB plays at a time.

I haven't spoken much on this topic but I'm not even fully convinced about Tre Williams. Jeff Holland showed some promise passing the rusher. Mikey has gotten a lot of grief over this subject dating from years past but he is right on when he says the last LB we had was Josh Bynes. There hasn't been any meeting the runningback in the hole or anything close to that consistently. I heard good things about D.J. Williams. I hope he is ready to step up. I really just hope we will see our LBs play with aggression and the tenacity to shed blocks at some point. Until then we will continue to be an 8-5 or so team unfortunately.

Mikey has slowly pulled me into his camp. It is not a numbers game but quality of LB's we need to sign two stud 5 * sure thing LB's every year or 3-4 solid prospects every year hoping 1-2 turn into studs. Holland showed promise last year but more in role that CAS finally was put in. It took Muschamp/Thompson 1/2 a season to find the right role for Cas where he became an impact player,

When talking about DC's and teaching it is also about evaluating current talent and putting them into correct role to take advantage of their talent. None of our previous DC's were good enough to move Cas to the role where he stood out.

Archived