Music Thread v.1.5(POST YOUR TUNES!)

Way outside the normal wheelhouse for most of us, but I thought this was kind of beautiful. An Atlanta rapper named Shawty Lo passed recently, and Beyonce played Phillips the other night. This is his song you'll hear in the video. So many aspects of this are cool to me. First of all, dude got love from freaking Beyonce in his home town. Second, she choreographed a routine in the middle of a huge show that I'm guessing is fairly regimented and that a TON of work and coordination already goes into. Third, that dude's music has probably never been heard on the kind of sound system that she takes on tour. Fourth, I won't lie. I don't really need an excuse to watch this woman ply her trade. I don't seek out her music, but I will watch her perform, absolutely.

13 minutes ago, telling tiger said:

Dug up another one from new record....

I like this one better than the Cooley song. Not exactly a surgical strike with the lyrics... little bit more of a sledgehammer... still pondering that. Funny how Patterson recycles that meter he uses in his verses song after song after song... not that it's altogether a bad thing. Enjoyed the tune. DBT as full blown political band... I'm listening. 

Full on message......................social music is to be expected, among the first places social commentary comes from, agree with it or not.............

Got to be honest, so far this record is a sonic nightmare to me..............again, musically ok and needs to have a vocal surgically removed.

Oh, I'm more than happy for them to be political. Lord knows I trust them with the job more than most. They just haven't been quite as full frontal about it in the past. Actually... I take that back. Now I'm remembering some of his songs on SRO. Yeah, not such a big change.

What's the sonic nightmare? Is it the production/mix? Just the sound of their voices?

Sonic means anything relatable to audio sound.

On Tornado, I agree, great song.

So far these are just not hitting my ear ears right. They don't need me to be successful and I just don't catch this one yet...

Hah, yeah, I know what sonic means. Just curious if there were specifics, but maybe you meant sonic as in literally all of it sounds horrible, lol. 

Cooley's song was just boring to me musically. Like, extremely boring. Patterson's was much better for me in that regard. 

Haha, noted. I remember when my buddy first turned me onto them, back in the Pizza Deliverance and Gangstabilly days, I thought, "Christ, this is ugly music." Still is, even if less so, but a lot of the stuff that drew me to them in the first place doesn't really apply anymore. 

Man, speaking of ugly southern punk bands... Kid Rock REALLY pissed off Dexateens when he did that Sweet Home homage, lol. Evidently this is from a 5 yr old album just now being released...

In the south ONLY, there is a 50/50 chance some moron will yell, PLAY SWEET HOME or PLAY FREEBIRD,  to a band that wouldn't touch it, with rubber gloves.........

Feel the same way about Hank Jr.........one note trumpet.

• Like 1

I like it but not to that extent. As you may know I'm trying to learn guitar. Actually kinda half ass trying but that is one of the songs I'm trying to play cause it starts with that cool riff I like. My fingers just won't let me make a C chord very well yet.  

Don't mind someone trying to learn it, hell at a Dylan concert, there is a 50/50 shot someone wants to hear Dylan play it......not very likely to happen...won't stop them from screaming for it, though....

I know a guy going to a Dylan concert and has somehow seen a set lineup. If it is correct he is going to be covering Frank Sinatra songs. I'd rather hear skynard. 

I'd rather hear Dylan songs than either, lol. But he's a true artist and genius and I suppose we're lucky when folks like that don't spend too much time looking in the rear view mirror.

This is happening in my neighborhood tomorrow. For reasons that I will probably deem insignificant later, I sold my tickets. 

I will see Run the Jewels at some point. I might still go tomorrow. We'll see.