Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nick was very cool and collective. Never too high or low on himself or any situation. That was an awesome trait about him. I do have a BUT however. NM was very hit or miss. A chef with the QB read, but if it wasn't a bomb or a short pass, we had no clue what would happen with his passing. Nick did very well playing like Pat white in taking what the defense gave him and staying away from bad turnovers. I will say that it did help to have Sammie Coates catching passes in between two guys, using his speed to run under balls and Duke pretty much catching anything in his vicinity. SW sure would've love to have those two around.

Great post btw.

I couldn't agree with you more.  That's why I think maybe...maybe...maybe JF3 could work.... but it truly IS a maybe and I'll only commit once I actually see more than the A-Day game.

But hey....if the OL, RB, WR, HB, TE (ALL) do their jobs well?  SW will be just fine.  MAN, I hope they can though...

JJ?  We all know what he CAN do.  But hopefully they throw lots of drills at him that's nothing but 11 white shirts and 1 blue shirt.  Hit the blue shirt.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I couldn't agree with you more.  That's why I think maybe...maybe...maybe JF3 could work.... but it truly IS a maybe and I'll only commit once I actually see more than the A-Day game.

But hey....if the OL, RB, WR, HB, TE (ALL) do their jobs well?  SW will be just fine.  MAN, I hope they can though...

JJ?  We all know what he CAN do.  But hopefully they throw lots of drills at him that's nothing but 11 white shirts and 1 blue shirt.  Hit the blue shirt.

LOL isn't that sad. We have to pray that JF3 can make high school throws, in hopes he gets the starting the nod. Like I said very Justin Thomas like. I just do not know if he has it in him. We will see. One of the two will be making me eat crow this season hopefully.

Oh and for you guys, who are like, who the heck is Justin Thomas and what is google..here he is

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Nick was very cool and collective. Never too high or low on himself or any situation. That was an awesome trait about him. I do have a BUT however. NM was very hit or miss. A chef with the QB read, but if it wasn't a bomb or a short pass, we had no clue what would happen with his passing. Nick did very well playing like Pat white in taking what the defense gave him and staying away from bad turnovers. I will say that it did help to have Sammie Coates catching passes in between two guys, using his speed to run under balls and Duke pretty much catching anything in his vicinity. SW sure would've love to have those two around.

Great post btw.

Agreed about Nick's intermediate passing. What's interesting is it seemed he put most of the ones he missed in that range in the cheap seats. I wonder if he just had the attitude that if he wasn't sure he could put it on the numbers, he'd just throw it away and hope the WR went all go go gadget arms from time to time. 

On the short passes, he had a lot of them batted down. I hope that hasn't colored Gus's play calling, b/c I think it was a problem unique to Nick. Never have seen it so much as I did with him. 

And yeah, we absolutely missed Coates and 2014 Duke last year. I think Smith did a better job stretching the field than he gets credit for, though. We just couldn't get him the ball or, when we did, it got called back. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

LOL isn't that sad. We have to pray that JF3 can make high school throws, in hopes he gets the starting the nod. Like I said very Justin Thomas like. I just do not know if he has it in him. We will see. One of the two will be making me eat crow this season hopefully.

Absolutely.

I have no problem eating crow when I talk bad about my AU Tigers!

Matter of fact...in my wagering days, I used to always bet against them when they were favored.  That way, I'm a winner no matter what happens and sometimes "won twice" if they won but didn't cover!

War Eagle!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Absolutely.

I have no problem eating crow when I talk bad about my AU Tigers!

Matter of fact...in my wagering days, I used to always bet against them when they were favored.  That way, I'm a winner no matter what happens and sometimes "won twice" if they won but didn't cover!

War Eagle!

i haven't placed a bet in 11 years but this is a strategy to consider! I never bet against Auburn. if i was willing to i could have done well. i am usually pretty good at knowing if we are matched up or not. being honest with myself is the problem. i did win a lot betting on bammer even though i hated for them to win.

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

Which is why I never considered NM nor would I consider a JF3 "True DT-QBs". I've always called them athletes playing the QB position. Of course, this probably makes me a hater.

I feel and have said the same thing many times.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'm an admitted Sean White fanboy. I just watched every JF3 video I could get my eyes on. I laughed when you said High School throws because thats what a lot his passes looked liked, TOSS UPS, however he does have a decent arm. He is electric under pressure and can get rid of the ball quickly. I still give the edge to Nick Marshall, as his first step and acceleration were awesome. JF3's short routes were ok. There was not alot of footage of him really going through progressions, not that I expected much. It was basically look and then run. Thats concerning to be a full time starter. I think SW brings more to the table in that sense of the game. However, i think some certain packages would work wonders in combination with SW. 

But none of you have seen jf3 play yet so.....none of your analysis hold weight as far as saying he can't throw. That's what I'm confused about. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well give me my freaking likes then. I Kidd I Kidd..but really. Dang Like system.

You will definitely get more when you complement sw as opposed to not. That's when the hater comes in. Try it out. Watch and see

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But none of you have seen jf3 play yet so.....none of your analysis hold weight as far as saying he can't throw. That's what I'm confused about. 

I was under the impression that some people here actually have seen him recently. The rest of us have seen the A day game and watched play from last season, while in JUCO. 

He was inconsistent in JUCO. He was inconsistent in the spring game. We've heard he's been inconsistent lately. That's all I have to go off of, personally. 

Edit: we've heard the same about Whitw too fwiw, although I'm not sure to what extent their inconsistencies are comparable. 

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is very true. I can admit I am going off of what little I hear and what little I have seen. Like, I said, I hope both QBs make me eat crow. In a perfect world, JJ would be ready to go because IMO he has the highest ceiling out of all three.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You haven't heard?

I feel like this is a set up... 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I was under the impression that some people here actually have seen him recently. The rest of us have seen the A day game and watched play from last season, while in JUCO. 

He was inconsistent in JUCO. He was inconsistent in the spring game. We've heard he's been inconsistent lately. That's all I have to go off of, personally. 

Edit: we've heard the same about Whitw too fwiw, although I'm not sure to what extent their inconsistencies are comparable. 

That last edit is my point. We've heard the same thing about both qb's....And the last game I saw white play the last thing I'd say is he's super accurate defense reader. But I guess maybe it's me. One guy gets the benefit of doubt about everything it seems. The other guy can't make high school throws?

Just now, cole256 said:

That last edit is my point. We've heard the same thing about both qb's....And the last game I saw white play the last thing I'd say is he's super accurate defense reader. But I guess maybe it's me. One guy gets the benefit of doubt about everything it seems. The other guy can't make high school throws?

Not consistently no. SW has issues as well. However, Based on the A day game, JF3 has a lot of work to do, passing wise. Again, this was very little but he just did not seem comfortable at all. Even in his passing TD.  However, this is not his strong suit and we haven't been able to see his strong suit, unfortunately. Apparently, his running abilities outweigh his passing skill set though, which is why I believe the coaches want him to be at least marginal in the passing game.  Likewise, our elite 11 winner, SW is also having problems with consistency and that is his strong suit. So therein lies the problem. I cannot call out SW without calling out JF3. There are Pros and Cons to both. Quite frankly, power 5 D-1 QBs should be able to hit screen passes and slants with their eyes close. I would feel the same way about a big program D-1 SG and free throws.

21 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh lord yes I've heard............Please don't play that 

But I thought everybody had heard about...

Oh. I understand, he said simply

One of the things about NM that went unnoticed was his ball handling ability in the backfield. He excelled at selling fakes and was one of the best at it I have ever seen. It caused many a defender to be out of position and opened up many more running lanes than would otherwise have been the case. It is an underappreciated talent in today's football world.      

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not consistently no. SW has issues as well. However, Based on the A day game, JF3 has a lot of work to do, passing wise. Again, this was very little but he just did not seem comfortable at all. Even in his passing TD.  However, this is not his strong suit and we haven't been able to see his strong suit, unfortunately. Apparently, his running abilities outweigh his passing skill set though, which is why I believe the coaches want him to be at least marginal in the passing game.  Likewise, our elite 11 winner, SW is also having problems with consistency and that is his strong suit. So therein lies the problem. I cannot call out SW without calling out JF3. There are Pros and Cons to both. Quite frankly, power 5 D-1 QBs should be able to hit screen passes and slants with their eyes close. I would feel the same way about a big program D-1 SG and free throws.

Exactly, can't call out one without the other....But we are. The thing I'm thinking about is the passing supposed to be sw strong suit though....But we're much harder on the other qb's. Jf3 also doesn't know the playbook or shouldn't know it as well as the other guys so his ints should be understood more. But if he's fumbling alot, well that negates his strong suit. But once again sw had all the advantages why wouldn't people be harder on him as opposed the other way around. To be frank should be light years ahead but if he's not ok, but if anybody should be getting more criticism....like you said none of the videos you've seen jf3 being able to throw. Meanwhile sw has SEC experience and I've been told on here he is the most accurate passer we've had at our school or something like that...shouldn't be close

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Exactly, can't call out one without the other....But we are. The thing I'm thinking about is the passing supposed to be sw strong suit though....But we're much harder on the other qb's. Jf3 also doesn't know the playbook or shouldn't know it as well as the other guys so his ints should be understood more. But if he's fumbling alot, well that negates his strong suit. But once again sw had all the advantages why wouldn't people be harder on him as opposed the other way around. To be frank should be light years ahead but if he's not ok, but if anybody should be getting more criticism....like you said none of the videos you've seen jf3 being able to throw. Meanwhile sw has SEC experience and I've been told on here he is the most accurate passer we've had at our school or something like that...shouldn't be close

Honestly, there is no argument from me on the points you have brought up. I have been much harsher on Sean  seemingly because I expect more out of him at this point in the game. I am speaking in terms of the QB competition, BTW.

28 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree that it's worriesome SW has not won the job outright. At least to me it is. We've also heard the coaches want JFIII to start. So, if that's the case, then White really hasn't improved as much as I would have expected. That's me trying to read into things.

Good Lord! I tried to speed read through this whole thread and now I am curled up in the corner in the fetal position, rocking back and forth. All I wanted to know is if they've named a starting quarterback yet...

And,  I think people have given White the benefit of the doubt in terms of what he did on the field last year. He won't get it this year. So, I think all that only applies to criticism of last year's play. I think even his staunchest supporters will be very critical of his play this year. 

Archived