Post a picture

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually migrated to a pellet smoker this year.  Used to have an offset, but decided I didn't want to do all of the work anymore.  Honestly, I LOVE my pellet.  It's so much easier, doesn't require constant monitoring, and the temperature remains consistent.  The flavor is a bit less smokey than a traditional offset, but the consistency of the finished product is so much better.

I have the Grilla Silverback.  It's a small company in Michigan that makes higher quality smokers.  My plan was to make a 15 year investment, so I was willing to spend a bit more.  Rec-Tec is also great in that market.

If you want to save a few bucks, Traeger is out there too but I'd actually recommend Pit Boss over it.  You can usually find those at any Lowe's or Academy.

What you described is exactly what I'm going to be looking for. I'm honestly not interested in being a purist or putting in any unnecessary effort for the sake of "authenticity" (heavy emphasis on the air those quotes are floating in). I like a lot of smoke but I'm primarily interested in a good bark and the texture of the meat inside. Your pictures make it clear that you nailed both. 

And while I certainly understand the wisdom of spending less on an entry-level product, I fear that getting something I don't love will just delay me really embracing and pursuing the hobby. I think that's what happened with prior false starts. Too much work and annoyance for an unsatisfying end result. I'm too old to do things I don't have to do unless I enjoy them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I won't tell you my preference...

image.pngimage.png

Yeah. I think about that a lot, too. The versatility is very appealing and lord knows I won't have any trouble getting tips and tricks from the dozens of people I know that have them. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. I think about that a lot, too. The versatility is very appealing and lord knows I won't have any trouble getting tips and tricks from the dozens of people I know that have them. 

You know that BGE people can be obsessive and overbearing so I will just say...

1. A green ceramic smoker is no better than any other color. The only difference I know of might be customer service.

2. Even though they are pricey up front, they last possibly forever. My large is 15+ years old and is no different from the day I got it.

3. Homemade pizza...😀

image.png

Edited by Grumps
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

On 8/11/2019 at 12:12 PM, alexava said:

Do you still have the rat?

he is grooming you dub. me and they had four parrots at one time. they were a lot of fun.

1 minute ago, Grumps said:

You know that BGE people can be obsessive and overbearing so I will just say...

1. A green ceramic smoker is no better than any other color. The only difference I know of might be customer service.

2. Even though they are pricey up front, they last possibly forever. My large is 15+ years old and is no different from the day I got it.

3. Homemade pizza...😀

image.png

Sooooo funny, because when I made my previous post, I was simultaneously pricing Grillas and Ooni Koda pizza ovens. And while a BGE isn't going to cook a legit Neopolitan pizza, it's going to make a better pizza than my oven can (and without heating up the inside of my house) while also being able to, of course, grill and smoke things. That's *exactly* the versatility I was referring to. I take pizza as seriously as I do grilled and smoked meats, so that's going to factor into any strategy I pursue.

As for the cult of the BGE, I vacillate between wondering how much of it is people trying to convince themselves it was worth the expense, lol, and how much of it is genuine. But just about everyone I know who has one is using it weekly, and for all kinds of purposes. I've seen lazy putzes like myself turn into accomplished smoking enthusiasts almost overnight. They honestly seem to enjoy using their BGEs. That's what I need. I need to enjoy it.

Appreciate all the feedback!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I won't stop thinking about brisket now until I smoke another one. There is a farm in Selma, AL that grows Wagyu cattle and sells the meat here in Montgomery. Their brisket does better than any other I have done.

What's the name of the farm?  My family all lives in Montgomery and I usually drive in once a year to visit with a cooler in tow for Conecuh sausage.  May have to make some space.

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What you described is exactly what I'm going to be looking for. I'm honestly not interested in being a purist or putting in any unnecessary effort for the sake of "authenticity" (heavy emphasis on the air those quotes are floating in). I like a lot of smoke but I'm primarily interested in a good bark and the texture of the meat inside. Your pictures make it clear that you nailed both. 

And while I certainly understand the wisdom of spending less on an entry-level product, I fear that getting something I don't love will just delay me really embracing and pursuing the hobby. I think that's what happened with prior false starts. Too much work and annoyance for an unsatisfying end result. I'm too old to do things I don't have to do unless I enjoy them. 

Definitely check out Rec-Tec too then.  Georgia based company that people rave over.  My decision came down to them or Grilla.  Just liked something about the Grilla a bit more, but you can't go wrong with either.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sooooo funny, because when I made my previous post, I was simultaneously pricing Grillas and Ooni Koda pizza ovens. And while a BGE isn't going to cook a legit Neopolitan pizza, it's going to make a better pizza than my oven can (and without heating up the inside of my house) while also being able to, of course, grill and smoke things. That's *exactly* the versatility I was referring to. I take pizza as seriously as I do grilled and smoked meats, so that's going to factor into any strategy I pursue.

As for the cult of the BGE, I vacillate between wondering how much of it is people trying to convince themselves it was worth the expense, lol, and how much of it is genuine. But just about everyone I know who has one is using it weekly, and for all kinds of purposes. I've seen lazy putzes like myself turn into accomplished smoking enthusiasts almost overnight. They honestly seem to enjoy using their BGEs. That's what I need. I need to enjoy it.

I used to be take-it-or-leave-it on pizza...until I ate at Antico in Atlanta a few years ago...dammit, now I’m hungry.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Daaaaang. Low of 64 in the Lowcountry yesterday. High of 80 today. It's not 45 but I'll take it.

Beautiful shots. What is the structure in the first picture? 

It’s a big ole observation platform on top of the mountain.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

What's the name of the farm?  My family all lives in Montgomery and I usually drive in once a year to visit with a cooler in tow for Conecuh sausage.  May have to make some space.

https://www.foodbevg.com/US/Selma/1942813332643397/Wagyu-of-Alabama%2C-LLC

Really nice folks!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree. I cook pizza at about 600 degrees. You can get the eggs >700 but if you like a lot of toppings (not traditional) then you will burn the bottom before the toppings are done. So my pies take 12 minutes, not the 90 second coal-fired Neopolitan 1200 degree way!

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I used to be take-it-or-leave-it on pizza...until I ate at Antico in Atlanta a few years ago...dammit, now I’m hungry.

There are a handful of pizzerias in Naples- five, maybe?- that generally vie for title of most authentic, best, definitive, whatever pizza in the world. I ate at one of the, da Michele, which first opened in 1870. If you put that pizza and one from Antico next to each other, I couldn't tell you which is which if Antico didn't slice theirs (only inauthentic thing about it). Antico is on our short list of Atlanta spots we miss and haven't come remotely close to finding a replacement for anywhere in the Lowcountry. 

They also introduced me to calabrian chiles. Mmmmmm salty hotness. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I agree. I cook pizza at about 600 degrees. You can get the eggs >700 but if you like a lot of toppings (not traditional) then you will burn the bottom before the toppings are done. So my pies take 12 minutes, not the 90 second coal-fired Neopolitan 1200 degree way!

Beautiful pie, by the way. What is the larger round topping on top? Tomatoes?

10 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Those prices are very much in line with what I see at other higher end, responsible meat producers in the area. Will have to look them up next time I'm up that way. I see that they ship but I'll avoid the added expense if I can. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Beautiful pie, by the way. What is the larger round topping on top? Tomatoes?

No, those are large pepperoni slices. I like to put them on last then smother with parm so that they get crispy. Here is a more traditional pie but with added Roma tomatoes.

image.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Thanks for the heads up on Antico! I have not tried it.

• Love 1

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

There are a handful of pizzerias in Naples- five, maybe?- that generally vie for title of most authentic, best, definitive, whatever pizza in the world. I ate at one of the, da Michele, which first opened in 1870. If you put that pizza and one from Antico next to each other, I couldn't tell you which is which if Antico didn't slice theirs (only inauthentic thing about it). Antico is on our short list of Atlanta spots we miss and haven't come remotely close to finding a replacement for anywhere in the Lowcountry. 

They also introduced me to calabrian chiles. Mmmmmm salty hotness. 

Man. I have no on par comparison for their pizza. It was literally a work of art.

ETA- I’m pretty sure you and I have talked about them before. However, any reason to talk about Antico is a good reason 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Haha 1

Trash to TREASURE...a project for my Creativity class toward my Gifted Certification.  Halfway done in July!  🙂  (The itinerary is not the one I ended up with.)

Trash to Treasure--Before!.jpg

Trash to Treasure--After!.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Hey @Tiger Refuge, are you seeing more nature-loving traffic with things lifting, are you seeing a lot of mask-wearing, and what news does your wife have about what her school might look like for the fall? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Hey @Tiger Refuge, are you seeing more nature-loving traffic with things lifting, are you seeing a lot of mask-wearing, and what news does your wife have about what her school might look like for the fall? 

Hey! We haven’t seen a significant uptick in usage lately. Mask use has stayed about the same...less than 50% in my unofficial view.

School for my wife is still a ? No news yet from the parish or the Parish. All the schools seem to be waiting for someone else to make the first move. 

How about you? Any word on your next year?

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Hey! We haven’t seen a significant uptick in usage lately. Mask use has stayed about the same...less than 50% in my unofficial view.

School for my wife is still a ? No news yet from the parish or the Parish. All the schools seem to be waiting for someone else to make the first move. 

How about you? Any word on your next year?

Yes, on first move, too.  Elmore County, where I live and my daughter teaches, came up with a policy Friday that lets families decide for "in person" or "online."  She's secondary, so it's really different for elementary.  Neither of us has underlying health conditions, so the personal connection is a must for us, despite the risk, we feel.  It could all change on a dime.  No word for my system yet.  There's talk of September starts for area systems, but she was told that August 10 was their starting date, "as planned."  Mask usage here depends upon where you go.  No one is unmasked in Whole Foods.  Aldi, about 2/3 wear them.  Dollar General, 1 in 10.  It has ebbed and flowed.  I believe the African-Americans I've seen seem far more committed and faithful to wear them; they inspire me.  We're taking them on the road to Yellowstone tomorrow and I have more on order.  It's a simple thing for me...it doesn't hurt me to wear one, but I am forever gauging the situation.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Yes, on first move, too.  Elmore County, where I live and my daughter teaches, came up with a policy Friday that lets families decide for "in person" or "online."  She's secondary, so it's really different for elementary.  Neither of us has underlying health conditions, so the personal connection is a must for us, despite the risk, we feel.  It could all change on a dime.  No word for my system yet.  There's talk of September starts for area systems, but she was told that August 10 was their starting date, "as planned."  Mask usage here depends upon where you go.  No one is unmasked in Whole Foods.  Aldi, about 2/3 wear them.  Dollar General, 1 in 10.  It has ebbed and flowed.  I believe the African-Americans I've seen seem far more committed and faithful to wear them; they inspire me.  We're taking them on the road to Yellowstone tomorrow and I have more on order.  It's a simple thing for me...it doesn't hurt me to wear one, but I am forever gauging the situation.  

Your observations of mask usage mirror what I’m seeing here as well. On a side note, Gatlinburg is where “rona virus is a scam” people go to vacation. This is a personal observation from last week.

Y'all have fun in Yellowstone!!! One of the most amazing places on earth! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Greetings from guess where? 

20200622_095315.jpg

20200622_095844.jpg

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Greetings from guess where? 

20200622_095315.jpg

20200622_095844.jpg

What the hey... now it's Kryptonite and COVID? :dunno:

• Haha 1