Sean White arrested

TitanTiger

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

To reiterate, it's clearly not the way to handle a bad situation but can you really blame him?

Only if you subscribe to the crazy notion of being responsible for your own actions....

3 minutes ago, swimmama said:

Sorry, not buying that this is just "boys being boys" junk.  My son was an athlete, he was an Auburn representative and definitely would have been thrilled with a full scholarship, as would many students who are struggling to even go to college!! If this is the standard for this time, then no wonder we look like a middle school group out there! My son was busy training twice a day, going to class and representing Auburn and doing what was necessary for his swim team.

Gus has no control, has no leadership, puts no fear into these players and it shows on and off the field. They play like a bunch of slackers. All of us pay way too much money, sit is horrible seats, and try weekly to sit through this stuff!Enough is enough

Sean needs to be kicked to the curb, Gus and Jay need to join him there.,

Prime example of my post above. . 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

While I agree we need some attitude, you are way off base with this one. Since SW has been on campus(and most likely before) he has had problem with a few substances. That's not a rebel, that's a kid with a problem.

Then I sincerely hope he gets the help he needs. Public intox by itself is no big deal (my mantra at Auburn was PI is shorter than DUI ;) ), but if SW really has an abuse problem, I'd like to see the administration step up and get him some help. Remove him from the team if necessary but, just kicking him to the curb without offering some support seems callous and cruel to me.

7 minutes ago, swimmama said:

Sorry, not buying that this is just "boys being boys" junk.  My son was an athlete, he was an Auburn representative and definitely would have been thrilled with a full scholarship, as would many students who are struggling to even go to college!! If this is the standard for this time, then no wonder we look like a middle school group out there! My son was busy training twice a day, going to class and representing Auburn and doing what was necessary for his swim team.

Gus has no control, has no leadership, puts no fear into these players and it shows on and off the field. They play like a bunch of slackers. All of us pay way too much money, sit is horrible seats, and try weekly to sit through this stuff!Enough is enough

100% agree to booting him, but not to discard him.   This elitist attitude is sickening.   Sean needs help and tough love right now, and your son is not one bit better than Sean White, no matter what you think, and that does not imply any disrespect to you or your son

13 minutes ago, swimmama said:

Sanctimonious much? A couple program insiders on this thread have implied he has a problem. Wouldn't getting him help be the proper and decent thing to do? Posts like this really chap my a$$. How's the weather up on that high horse?

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Only if you subscribe to the crazy notion of being responsible for your own actions....

Not justifying his actions, I'm just saying I get it. This isn't a Gus problem, or an Auburn problem. It's every bit a Sean White problem. I'd been there when I played HS football but I didn't pick up any self destructive habits.

Apples to Oranges, but I think Sean deserves our sympathy not our wrath

21 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

100% agree to booting him, but not to discard him.   This elitist attitude is sickening.   Sean needs help and tough love right now, and your son is not one bit better than Sean White, no matter what you think, and that does not imply any disrespect to you or your son

^^^this. We were all made the same. We all deserve to be dealt love and grace. What swimmama doesn't get is that if it was her son instead, she'd likely show him love and grace and turn on Auburn if they treated him they we she suggests SW gets treated. "Ye without sin cast the first stone". Even the harlot deserves mercy and grace. But not a football player, right?  Priorities. 

I think a lot of the action/reaction depends on how long this apparently ongoing event has transpired over time and what the coaching staff and atheletic department have allready did unbeknown to us to help Sean. 

21 minutes ago, selias said:

Sanctimonious much? A couple program insiders on this thread have implied he has a problem. Wouldn't getting him help be the proper and decent thing to do? Posts like this really chap my a$$. How's the weather up on that high horse?

Its not up to Auburn to fix his problem. Thats for him and his parents, mostly him to resolve. Im sure there are many, many other students that need help with addiction ( Im not certain he has that problem) , if we help him, why shouldnt we help them. Answer: We dont. I believe Auburn provides some sort of student counseling  but sending to rehab at $30-$40K, no way. 

Bottom line is he broke the rules , invalidated his scholarship and has to go in fairness to the hundreds of others that abide to their agreement. 

Sean doesn't deserve to play or dress, but (I think) he deserves to be on scholly surrounded by support.

dungeon and others ... letting this issue, and by this issue I mean every time a player fails a drug test or has their mug shot on the news, turn into a political, religious or moral debate is simply the idiotic.  

WHEN AN ATHLETE SIGNS A SCHOLARSHIP PAPER HE AGREES TO  A STANDARD OF BEHAVIOR.  EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING, EVERTHING else is irrelevant.

I feel bad for the kid.  He is the most under appreciated player on any Auburn team I can remember.  For 3 years in a row he has been over looked for a "savior" qb that hasn't lived up to the hype. All Sean has done is bust his tail and bail out Gus over and over.  He may not have the physical attributes that JJ and Stidham have or the speed of JF3 but he's got guts and heart which are severely lacking on this team right now.  If I were him I'd transfer to somewhere I could be the man and hopefully that'd keep him out of anymore trouble.  Idle hands and what not.

1 hour ago, AU_Dungeon_Master said:

But you shouldn't have to if you don't want to.  It's a slave mentality to simply do what your told.  If we all took the approach of simply following rules for the sake of the rule without thinking it through then we'd have no freedoms and live in a terrible world.  Smoking marijuana is safer for pain (say from a broken arm) than taking the legally prescribed opiates that huge portions of our populations are addicted to and dying from ultimately.   BTW, I don't smoke marijuana. But if I wanted to do that, I should be able to without having to have my bodily fluids tested.  That's very creepy if you think about it and it's a threat to every single one of us.  If it's not marijuana it will be something else down the road.  It's a very bad precedent to allow any sort of drug testing without a warrant and needs to be done away with.  

Sigh.  I don't think you understand why laws are in place or what something like the Auburn creed means.  Why stop there?  Why should you stop for a red light or at a stop sign?  Can't be free if you have to stop for another car right?

1 hour ago, AU_Dungeon_Master said:

Well...the reason people are saying he should be kicked off is because he failed a test for marijuana on top of having been arrested for PI.  I was just saying that drug testing students for marijuana is ridiculous and that it's terrible that SW would have his life seriously impacted by it.  It's none of our business what he does in his off time away from football. Plus I think he's the best QB on team that we've seen play in an actual game.   I hate to see Gus get rid of him to make a meaningless gesture that he's still in control of the team.

I think you should understand what rules mean.  If Sean agreed to team rules and violated them then there have to be consequences period.  Sean should not be treated special when others have to abide by those same rules.

Like I said before, I hope Gus won't knee jerk and just kick him off the team automatically. I would base it on his attitude. If there is a way for him to earn his way back on the team, I would give him a chance if his head is in the right place. If he doesn't care, then he is a poison to the team, and he has to go. 

We have no idea what has transpired before now to try to help this kid. He might be causing drama on the team and it may be the cause of some of the sluggish effort we've seen on the offensive side of the ball. These are kids, and they react to whatever is going on with their friends. Then again, kids can rally around a guy who needs help and show him love, too. That can create a bonding on a team as well. I hope the coaches pick up on what's going on with the emotion on the team and address that and use that emotion for the good of the team.

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I feel bad for the kid.  He is the most under appreciated player on any Auburn team I can remember.  For 3 years in a row he has been over looked for a "savior" qb that hasn't lived up to the hype. All Sean has done is bust his tail and bail out Gus over and over.  He may not have the physical attributes that JJ and Stidham have or the speed of JF3 but he's got guts and heart which are severely lacking on this team right now.  If I were him I'd transfer to somewhere I could be the man and hopefully that'd keep him out of anymore trouble.  Idle hands and what not.

I completely disagree.  SW was given a significant benefit of the doubt all of last year.  Injury or scheme or coaching or leadership or whatever the reason ... it hasn't worked out.  The fortunately happens all the time at lots of positions.  QB just happens to be noticed more

I know Gus won't say, but does anybody have any idea what SW's previous suspension was for? That should be a determining factor for whether he says on the team or not, IMO.

To the people who think Sean should be kicked off the team, should we do the same with any player that has a major illness or disease? Should we not have honored Shon Coleman's scholarship? Hasn't Sean done more for the program than Shon had at the time he received his diagnosis? If the problems go as deep as some are indicating, Sean has a serious problem and needs professional help.

Sean has not behaved responsibly and long ago lost the confidence of the coaches in that regard, but he put everything on the line when he was out there playing. He also had plenty of reason to either clam up and withdraw or publicly stew about losing out to Stidham (which has to be hard to swallow), but he instead has done nothing but support the team and Stidham. The least we can do is support him. After all, do we not claim to be a family?

I'm not implying the school should pay for his treatment, and he should not be on the active roster for now, but don't pull his scholarship unless he refuses to be helped.

6 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I completely disagree.  SW was given a significant benefit of the doubt all of last year.  Injury or scheme or coaching or leadership or whatever the reason ... it hasn't worked out.  The fortunately happens all the time at lots of positions.  QB just happens to be noticed more

He's been the only qb that could run the offense the past two years.  He was also one of the highest rated qbs in the country till he got hurt against Ole Miss.  Auburn's offense stalled the next game against Vandy with a healthy Pettway.  The rest is history.  First drive vs Oklahoma was the only offense Auburn had all game.  He's been the only thing that has worked out for this offense the past two years. 

As much as I feel conflicted by saying it, I'd like to see SW:

1. Stay on the team, with no tolerance for any more off-field mistakes.

2. Get the help he needs to eliminate the drugs in his life.

3. Help the future of the team by being the backup should Stidham be unable to play for some reason, thereby preserving the redshirt of our promising young QB of the future. 

4. Graduate.

This helps HIM without hurting US.  But this would only work if he's not too far down the "Manziel path".

Archived