I know it's only been two games but...

WarDamnEagleWDE

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nobody's info always comes to pass but his does very often.

yep, sure does....WDE is pretty much the only one that i would bet on when it comes to football info......ellitor on recruiting is dependable....neither are perfect BUT, they are free,lol

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Can they? There is always the possibility.  Typically, from my experience, most improvement in technique and fundamentals is gained during the off-season.  The chemistry and individual responsibilities should become better during the season with reps and experience.  That said, to me, the biggest issue is a lack of aggressiveness, quickness to the 2nd level, and man on man power.

Apples to oranges I know (HS vs SEC) but I remember my junior year as an OG and a couple games in, I was merely OK.  Often beat to the point of attack and in bad position to make the block.  However we played a team with the quickest Tackles I had ever seen and in the first qtr I was embarrassing.  

Something clicked and I just knew I had to quit being mentally lazy and I had to make better effort to be quick to the attack point...  Later that year I was the first junior from my school to ever get county offensive player of the week and my coach lamented that I wasn't 2-3" taller or I'd be a D-1A prospect.

Point being, I was awesome.  ....just kidding.

Point being, the light can switch on, mid season, and I think Grimes is capable of getting them switched.

I'm optimistic.  War Eagle!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Can they? There is always the possibility.  Typically, from my experience, most improvement in technique and fundamentals is gained during the off-season.  The chemistry and individual responsibilities should become better during the season with reps and experience.  That said, to me, the biggest issue is a lack of aggressiveness, quickness to the 2nd level, and man on man power.

Didn't you say mental toughness before make up your damn mind

You correctly disclaim its too early to extrapolate anything for the entire season about an OL as inexperienced at this after 2 games. LSU has a dline that would give seasoned O lines fits so LSU will not be a season-long measuring stick either. If we're looking in mid October like the Oline that faced Alabama State ok, time to suggest this OL is the achilles heel difference between a championship run or not. IMHO.

48 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Didn't you say mental toughness before make up your damn mind

Mental toughness leads to not missing individual assignments

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I actually think we match up OK with LSU.  You mentioned the D-lineman out west, but Greg Gaines is going to be playing on Sundays and gave our line fits at times during the kickoff game.  And yes, I believe the UW secondary is definitely better than LSU.

Overall though I see a similar game plan as the one we ran against UW.  Lots of quick passes early, utilizing Ryan Davis, etc and doing just enough in the run game to keep LSU honest.

I actually think our advantage against LSU will actually be speed. Chip admitted that we went away from jet sweeps due to UW DB’s speed. Not only will we beat them on the perimeter but we will also take the top off as well. I expect at least 5 plays of 20 yards or more. A few of those will be TDs . Defensively we will load the box and bring the heat often. 

I heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who.. heard it from another that LSU is just crap no matter what deficiencies we may have. Auburn is going to beat the snot out of them cause we're just better than they are.

28 minutes ago, clwn said:

I heard it from a friend who... heard it from a friend who.. heard it from another that LSU is just crap no matter what deficiencies we may have. Auburn is going to beat the snot out of them cause we're just better than they are.

I don't want you a-round.

4 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Don't get me wrong I have mad respect for the man.  Like most coaches & ex players, he has probably forgotten more than I will ever know.  But he definitely wears his glasses when it comes to those 2 teams.

(edit) by ex-player I mean college or pro.  Plenty of us played high school ball.

EDB90F48-E61E-4E71-B061-0E6CDD0930DD.gif

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't know, Liberty's punter is a beast.  Actually got tossed for targeting in the Army game....the PUNTER!  Liberty must be animals!!!  :beer2:

I watched that.  He's lucky he didn't kill himself.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, IronMan70 said:

Which goes to show you that individual talent on an OL, within reason, is not as important as how well the OL can perform as a cohesive unit. 

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

You need talent & cohesion for an OL to play well against good competition. They are both important.

I thought it was fairly obvious that "within reason" meant the talent has to be somewhat comparable. The fact remains that OL unit cohesiveness is more important than the talent of any given player. Whether an OL has 1 or even 2 'great' players is less important. What is more important is whether an OL, with maybe 5 'really good' players, is able to perform 'great' as a unit. Good coaching is the difference maker in developing great OL unit cohesiveness.

21 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Man oh man. Still don't like the Grimes hire. I admit that. But my post was not a agenda post. Just what I think based on what I'm being told. Love the ignorant nonsense comment. 

Should learn to to read these threads from the front to the back and not vise versa. 

We all know that corch has an agenda on all your posts, most of us just ignore it!!

I think we need a coach that has a T-Will style and confidence about him for the o-line.  He can be at the GA level even.

Our O-line needs to have the mentality that our defense has.  Do the hitting and not be a punching bag.

@DAG  I don't know if it bothers you much, but watching Wisconsin pump out lineman after lineman frustrates the hell out of me when it comes to Auburn.  We need to get there plan

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I think we need a coach that has a T-Will style and confidence about him for the o-line.  He can be at the GA level even.

Our O-line needs to have the mentality that our defense has.  Do the hitting and not be a punching bag.

@DAG  I don't know if it bothers you much, but watching Wisconsin pump out lineman after lineman frustrates the hell out of me when it comes to Auburn.  We need to get there plan

I think a big part of it is vicinity and culture. The same way Wisconsin is able to pump out RB and Lineman is amalgamous to how the SEC pumps out excellent skill players. Trust me, Wisconsin is also very envious about that. High school football up here is based around line play, time management and running the ball. There are hardly, if any spread football teams up here and most of the squads run a pseudo-offense comparable to Wisconsin. A lot of it has to do with the type of athletes up here as well. It is like how Texas football runs a ton of spread at the high school level. It definitely effects the type of play they get at the collegiate level.

Another thing is lineman is so hard to judge at the high school level...Calvin Ashley was a blue chip caliber lineman in high school, yet he can’t find PT at this level. Why is that? Was it the competition level? Was it his size and length that got him the ranking? Who knows. I don’t know nearly enough about the o-line to factor in my opinion, but I do find it interesting that the big star guys have had a tough transition at Auburn recently.

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

Another thing is lineman is so hard to judge at the high school level...Calvin Ashley was a blue chip caliber lineman in high school, yet he can’t find PT at this level. Why is that? Was it the competition level? Was it his size and length that got him the ranking? Who knows. I don’t know nearly enough about the o-line to factor in my opinion, but I do find it interesting that the big star guys have had a tough transition at Auburn recently.

It will be really interesting to see how Brahms and Troxell do. They're both legit blue chip guys and Trox, at least, is reported to have exactly what Ashley has been missing in the nasty department. And at this point I agree with those who suggested that Brahms probably would've won the center job if not for the injury. If we hit on those guys, especially considering how guys like Smith, GRob, Dismukes, Chad Slade, etc. did under Grimes, then maybe our ratio of misses isn't so bad. But yeah man, it sure would be nice to have a 2-deep averaging ~4*s and feel confident that we'd go into most seasons looking capable with potential to be really good by the end of the season. It doesn't feel that way right now but who knows. 

9 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I thought it was fairly obvious that "within reason" meant the talent has to be somewhat comparable. The fact remains that OL unit cohesiveness is more important than the talent of any given player. Whether an OL has 1 or even 2 'great' players is less important. What is more important is whether an OL, with maybe 5 'really good' players, is able to perform 'great' as a unit. Good coaching is the difference maker in developing great OL unit cohesiveness.

Within reason can mean many different things to many different people. I couldn't have known what you meant on that without further elaboration.

I wasn't talking about the talent of any given player FWIW. I was talking about the collective group of talent. My apologies for not making that clear. I still the collective talent (which is how you addressed things in your last sentence) & cohesion are equally important.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

You're correct about how hard it is to judge linemen.

And IMHO yes, the hardest thing to gauge is how they would do against SEC (or any big conference) competition.  I'd go so far as to say many highly recruited linemen might not play against more than 1 or 2 "equals", if that, in a whole season.

I think a lot of the judgment of these kids' talents come from camps and that's still not "real" football.  It's certainly a dart board in a lot of cases.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I think a big part of it is vicinity and culture. The same way Wisconsin is able to pump out RB and Lineman is amalgamous to how the SEC pumps out excellent skill players. Trust me, Wisconsin is also very envious about that. High school football up here is based around line play, time management and running the ball. There are hardly, if any spread football teams up here and most of the squads run a pseudo-offense comparable to Wisconsin. A lot of it has to do with the type of athletes up here as well. It is like how Texas football runs a ton of spread at the high school level. It definitely effects the type of play they get at the collegiate level.

Amalgamous? Did you just say that? This is a football discussion man! You can’t use big words like that. 

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Within reason can mean many different things to many different people. I couldn't have known what you meant on that without further elaboration.

I wasn't talking about the talent of any given player FWIW. I was talking about the collective group of talent. My apologies for not making that clear. I still the collective talent (which is how you addressed things in your last sentence) & cohesion are equally important.

I read it same as you and agree with you.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Agreed

One thing I believe is the body type of players coming in.   I feel there is a tendency to bring in guys with real sloppy bodies and think that we can get them in better shape instead of going after guys with better bodies and continue to build up the hard work that they have already put in.  290 pounds of athletic/nasty is better than a 335 anchor.

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Agreed

One thing I believe is the body type of players coming in.   I feel there is a tendency to bring in guys with real sloppy bodies and think that we can get them in better shape instead of going after guys with better bodies and continue to build up the hard work that they have already put in.  290 pounds of athletic/nasty is better than a 335 anchor.

Or even a 270-275 body with long arms whose body hasn't fully developed yet.

Archived