Asa Martin (update transferring)

aubiefifty

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The conversation isn't actually as much about the player as it is about Auburn. A stud recruit who plays a position at which we have had depth issues- organic or manufactured- in recent years just left. Why? What does that tell us about Auburn? Did we screw up or was he really just a malcontent who wasn't good enough? This is an Auburn football forum and this is an Auburn football conversation. 

In other words: “There may be deeper issues than just a 4th string RB leaving, so sit and be quiet while I continue beating this dead horse.”

🙌

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

In other words: “There may be deeper issues than just a 4th string RB leaving, so sit and be quiet while I continue beating this dead horse.”

🙌

Why bother with it if you aren't into it?  Seems counterproductive.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The conversation isn't actually as much about the player as it is about Auburn. A stud recruit who plays a position at which we have had depth issues- organic or manufactured- in recent years just left. Why? What does that tell us about Auburn? Did we screw up or was he really just a malcontent who wasn't good enough? This is an Auburn football forum and this is an Auburn football conversation. 

Always have to love that random person that wants to dictate other people's conversation. If you don't want to talk about it how bout you not click the thread of a player to type isn't it time to not talk about the player??

Go figure

So.... Asa Martin is not an Auburn Tiger anymore.  Also, it appears to be possibly due to him feeling betrayed by a coaching staff that has trouble counting games.  So it's a closed issue with Asa but a deep rooted issue with the coaching staff.  And now some posters are telling others what they should or shouldn't be allowed to continue to discuss as related to Auburn football and it's future.  ...on a message board, no less.  Hm... 

Okay:

giphy.gif

Best of luck to Asa, I think he is going to an underachieving O with big time talent lacking player leadership. Probably not coincidental he chose the U which is about as different a program personality-wise from Auburn as you can get.

• 2 weeks later...

On what grounds? Theoretically, if granted, all the current players that played for Botch Jones should get rewarded with either an extra year of eligibility, immediate eligibility after transferring to any school of player’s choice, or a full calendar year of the NCAA promising to look away while said player receives illegal benefits.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

On what grounds? Theoretically, if granted, all the current players that played for Botch Jones should get rewarded with either an extra year of eligibility, immediate eligibility after transferring to any school of player’s choice, or a full calendar year of the NCAA promising to look away while said player receives illegal benefits.

On the AU staff botching his eligibility.

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Hope he gets it. I don’t know if he has grounds but he got a raw deal last year by AU

Fields has also applied for a waiver to play for OSU next year. These waivers used to require some serious family situation. Neither Fields nor Martin can claim such a thing, they are both moving farther away from home. These two situations will bear watching. If these two are approved, the floodgates will be officially opened.

Whether his redshirt was botched or not should not have any bearing on his transfer waiver. It’s a reach to even use it to justify any waiver.  we don’t really even know what justification he is using. 

3 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

If these waivers are granted, free agency is coming to CFB. Will not be good for the sport, IMO. 

Eh, it’s already about money and TV getting what it wants so why not another step toward being the farm system?

5 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

If these waivers are granted, free agency is coming to CFB. Will not be good for the sport, IMO. 

I have no clue whether these waivers will be granted , but you think it is good for the sport for coaches to sign onto a program and leave less than a month?

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Fields has also applied for a waiver to play for OSU next year. These waivers used to require some serious family situation. Neither Fields nor Martin can claim such a thing, they are both moving farther away from home. These two situations will bear watching. If these two are approved, the floodgates will be officially opened.

For what it’s worth, Fields’ claim is because racist slurs were said to him from a fellow UGA athlete.  That alone will most likely get him the waiver.  I welcome it, because I think that is a good reason AND it rubs more salt in UGA’s wounds.  

11 hours ago, DAG said:

I have no clue whether these waivers will be granted , but you think it is good for the sport for coaches to sign onto a program and leave less than a month?

There is minimal blowback in this case. Usually its not like the coach had any time to recruit to that school. Plus, the school will get the agreed upon buyout protection paid to them. This thread is probably going to turn into a play for pay debate, but I agree that the game eventually turning into unrestricted free agency isn’t a great idea. 

The so called “transfer whisperer” lawyer basically making up facts on the fly to strong arm the NCAA isn’t good for tbe game either. 

11 hours ago, abw0004 said:

For what it’s worth, Fields’ claim is because racist slurs were said to him from a fellow UGA athlete.  That alone will most likely get him the waiver.  I welcome it, because I think that is a good reason AND it rubs more salt in UGA’s wounds.  

That opens a Pandora’s box imo. Fields was fortunate enough to have a Facebook post detailing the incident from a fan. What happens when an athlete doesnt bave it documented for him and alleged incident involving racism brings loose facts with it? The NCAA will be in a pickle then. The kid may be telling tbe truth and the NCAA shouldn’t say no. The kid may not be telling the truth and the the NCAA still can’t say no by precedent. The NCAA would be hard pressed to show that Georgia has a racism problem over an isolated incident involving an individual that was later kicked off the baseball team. Let’s gets real. You go to any university in America and there will still be random, isolated acts of racism to be found. Player safety should be what drives this waiver. But yet player safety isn’t the issue.

(BTW, don’t think the slur was said to Fields; it was yelled in the stands and Fields may not have heard it.) 

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That opens a Pandora’s box imo. Fields was fortunate enough to have a Facebook post detailing the incident. What happens when an athlete doesnt bave it documented for him and alleged racism brings loose facts with it? The NCAA will be in a pickle then. The NCAA would be hard pressed to show that Georgia has a racism problem over an individual that was kicked off the baseball team over it, much less proving it on undocumented random racist acts. Let’s gets real. You go to any university in America and there will still be random acts of racism. 

(BTW, don’t think the slur wasn’t said to Fields; it was yelled in the stands and Fields may not have heard it.) 

I think this is a one-off to where this would merit it.  But I do agree to where we need rules so this doesn’t become a free-agency.  And I think it was a tweet, wasn’t it?  Not yelled in the stands.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

And I think it was a tweet, wasn’t it?

No. The baseball player in tbe stands yelled “put the blank in the game.”

Regardless of where it leads, the NCAA will definitely approve this waiver. They can’t afford not to. On Martin: guess the waiver will be something like “I was lied to” or the coaches didn’t have my best interests.”  

6 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Free agency is already here. It is becoming more and more like the Wild West. Coaches coming and going, players coming and going, players driving Escalades and entire families being moved across country, and selective enforcement of the number of coaches and staff members. Grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. 

Archived