2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Burns visited Sheffield recently so maybe looking at him as an wide receiver more now! 

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-recruiting-georgia-high-school-coach-visits

Yeah I saw that earlier. He looks like a pretty darn good wr in his highlights.

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

What's the WR board looking like right now? Keyton chooses TN tomorrow....Then what? Haselwood seems like a long shot. We have two targets in Puckett and Jashawn that mainly played wr but are looked at as Safeties. 

TBD. The staff plans to only take 1 more if we miss on Keaton as things are now & they are being very selective.

Also not sure it's been decided yet that Sheffield is a safety only for AU. That's why his thread title reads S/WR.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

Where Auburn turns at wide receiver after losing out on Ramel Keyton

Marietta (Ga.) wide receiver Ramel Keyton committed to Tennessee on Wednesday. Let’s put that decision into some context.

Taking off my reporter’s hat for a moment, here are my thoughts/opinion/analysis on Keyton as a prospect:

Keyton is one of the most willingly physical wide receivers (at least in the Southeast) that I’ve seen this recruiting cycle. He’s tall and strong already — loves to put his hands on cornerbacks on the line, even in camps — but his wide shoulders given him even more frame to build upon as his body develops. Keyton will be a true red-zone threat in college, and I expect Tennessee fans to fall in love with his 1-on-1 swagger.

It’s not that I didn’t sense Auburn felt the same way as Tennessee about Keyton, but the Tigers didn’t make a major push for him. Sure, he took his last unofficial visit to Auburn two weeks ago, but even then, Auburn didn’t have the type of we-want-you-to-commit conversations that he had multiple times with Tennessee.

The Tigers have wanted to go with two wide receivers in the 2019 class since the beginning. Taking Keyton would’ve been a bit of a surprise given how highly Auburn views other receivers — or it would’ve likely decided to take three receivers had Keyton unexpectedly chosen Auburn on Wednesday.

So it’s like this: Keyton is a player whom I expect to have a great college career, but it shouldn’t necessarily be considered a recruiting miss for Auburn.

Auburn has three wide receiver targets committed to other major programs whom it will continue to recruit heavily:

• Georgia commit Jadon Haselwood
  • Clemson commit Frank Ladson
  • Miami commit Jeremiah Payton

Haselwood is the one in that group who Auburn feels best about its chances. He has visited Auburn multiple times already this spring. His mother has done so separately. There’s no question Haselwood would be choice No. 1 out of any wide receiver in the nation. But he’s already committed to a program that won’t be easy to flip him from, and it’s something that likely won’t play out until late in the cycle.

It would make more sense to take Haselwood as a third wide receiver in the class because he’s just that good. Try to figure out the other receiver to add to the class with George Pickens, first.

Here are the prospects ranked ahead of Keyton whom Auburn still feels like it has a shot with:

• Devonta Lee, Amite, La.
  • Dannis Jackson, Summrall, Miss.
  • Jalen Curry, Houston
  • Dylan Wright, Mesquite, Texas
  • Demariyon Houston, Oklahoma City

Lee has a strong relationship with Tigers wide receivers coach Kodi Burns, who has been down to Louisiana at ever permissible opportunity. Auburn hopes something similar has forged with Curry. Jackson visited earlier this spring, but hasn’t returned yet.

Wright and Houston have recently been offered and emerged as key Auburn targets. Auburn coaches were out at Wright’s school two weeks ago shortly after he spent a day on The Plains for a visit.

Then there are two prospects some programs see as receivers, but Auburn could also see at different positions:

• Zion Puckett, Griffin, Ga.
  • Jashawn Sheffield, St. Simons Island, Ga.

Puckett and Sheffield could both very well end up in Auburn’s class; the Tigers like both as defensive backs. However, they value each prospect’s ability on the offensive side of the ball, as well, so they can’t be ruled out as wide receiver additions to this class.

Edited by ellitor
Quoted & neated up post a bit.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if its been posted or not. Uga commit trezman marshall is on campus right now for a visit. Just looked at his 247 profile and it says he is here today. Not VIP content

1 hour ago, cammycam2 said:

Not sure if its been posted or not. Uga commit trezman marshall is on campus right now for a visit. Just looked at his 247 profile and it says he is here today. Not VIP content

Your proof kind sir...

image.png

Edited by ellitor
  • Haha 1

Tbh I don't think he cares about AU. He just did it so OP could take another visit to UGA.

Edit: Just got a bad vibe because he's committed to bowl cut.

Edited by WFE12

On 5/20/2018 at 12:39 AM, WFE12 said:

Tbh I don't think he cares about AU. He just did it so OP could take another visit to UGA.

Edit: Just got a bad vibe because he's committed to bowl cut.

He tweeted a gif of himself in full AU gear and Deshaun Davis retweeted it with a "hmmmm" and the chin scratch emoji. 

I'm not proud that I know these things. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He tweeted a gif of himself in full AU gear and Deshaun Davis retweeted it with a "hmmmm" and the chin scratch emoji. 

Feeling like a creep huh????

7 minutes ago, 1TexasTiger said:

Feeling like a creep huh????

It's a little weird. And I want to console myself because I follow Deshaun Davis and not the recruit, but even that isn't sitting well when I say it out loud. 

Where's the "Reexamining life decisions" forum?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah I saw that. Seems his interest might be legit. OP is really working hard for other recruits and he is definitely one of them.

• Thanks 1

Which top 2019 prospects are trending toward Auburn?

This person has a high chance of going to Auburn…

This is always the hardest one to nail down, mainly because it’s the one that can make me look the most wrong.

Here are the three I feel comfortable placing in this category:

• 4-star athlete Jashawn Sheffield
  • 4-star offensive lineman Keiondre Jones
  • 3-star defensive end Colby Wooden

Sheffield’s interest has been well-documented. It’s actually a bit of a surprise he hasn’t made his decision already. Sheffield’s close friend and teammate, Jaylin Simpson, is already in the class. Sheffield has been to Auburn twice this spring and has left calling the Tigers his leader both times. Whenever he makes a return trip, I expect Sheffield to finalize his Auburn interest.

Jones lives so close, he can visit Auburn whenever he pleases. That has added up to a handful of visits just this spring alone. He has been to Auburn more than any other college. Even with his family connection to Florida quarterback Emory Jones, I still think the Tigers are the team to beat.

Wooden fits in this category or the third category. But the Tigers have made a strong push for the Archer (Ga.) defensive end. He has visited a few times since the end of last football season, and his teammate bond with cornerback Andrew Booth should help, as well.

This person shows more Auburn interest than before…

Sometimes a landmark event can change how recruits think about a school. Five-star linebacker Owen Pappoe’s pledge might’ve had that effect on some, or the interest might be for a different reason altogether.

Either way, here are three prospects showing newfound interest in Auburn:

• 4-star athlete Trezmen Marshall
  • 5-star cornerback Andrew Booth
  • 4-star wide receiver Jalen Curry

Marshall visited Auburn over the weekend. That’s something that hadn’t happened before and likely wouldn’t have happened without the addition of Pappoe. It’s still too early to assess whether Marshall’s visit will materialize into anything more. There’s no doubt, however, that he’s more interested in Auburn than he was a month ago.

Booth is another prospect close to Pappoe who has been to Auburn since the 5-star linebacker’s commitment. The Tigers are serious contenders for Booth, who brought his family on the last trip. He’s likely to become an Auburn vs. Clemson vs. Georgia battle. Only a few weeks ago, Auburn felt like it was on the outside looking in.

Curry still hasn’t been to Auburn this spring, but the Tigers are hoping that changes soon. Curry told SEC Country he wants to make it to the Plains in June. He has been in communication with Pappoe, too, so that should help.

This person likes Auburn more than many gurus suggest…

Often, Auburn can be left out of the conversation when national reporters are talking about the schools a prospect in strongly interested in. That’s how it was with Pappoe for a long time, and we saw how that turned out.

Here are three prospects who are more interested in Auburn than many suggest:

• 4-star defensive end Curtis Fann
  • 4-star running back Noah Cain
  • 4-star cornerback Tyrique Stevenson

I wrote in detail about Fann on Sunday. It’s been so engrained in people’s minds that Fann would end up at South Carolina that several schools — not just Auburn — are ignored as it pertains to Fann. The Tigers shouldn’t be. He hopes to visit Auburn in early June.

Cain has visited Auburn once with his father this year. His mother made a separate, solo trip to check out the Plains. Cain told SEC Country on Monday that he’ll be back for Big Cat Weekend on June 2. Texas, LSU, Ohio State and others have been linked to Cain much more than Auburn. That’s misguided. The Tigers are much more in this than many realize.

Stevenson has visited Auburn multiple times this spring. His relationship with cornerbacks coach Marcus Woodson makes the Tigers a threat. It’s never easy to pull elite prospects out of Florida, but Auburn is in much better position to do so than has been made publicly clear.

• Thanks 3

On 5/22/2018 at 8:20 AM, ellitor said:

Thanks for sharing E

Keiondre Jones would be a great addition. We don't seem to be aiming too high on the DL but I trust Garner

Just a FYI Justin Ferguson just tweeted SEC Country is shutting down at the end of June. What that means for us is free recruiting info available to be posted for AUFamily will go way down.

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just a FYI Justin Ferguson just tweeted SEC Country is shutting down at the end of June. What that means for us is free recruiting info available to be posted for AUFamily will go way down.

AU 247 needs to hire wolk in some capacity. He actually seems to have legit sources about crutin. Something none of the other Auburn beat writers have. Have him cover basketball since that 1 dude they have is gone now who did it.

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

AU 247 needs to hire wolk in some capacity.

Agree although Rivals needs him more. Not sure JGT, BMatt, or Zima Lee see it that way though.

He actually seems to have legit sources about crutin. Something none of the other Auburn beat writers have.

Is that including Keef?

Have him cover basketball since that 1 dude they have is gone now who did it.

I think their plan is to full merge AU's Scoiut site into AUC & bring Jason Caldwell over. I think he will be the new AUC reporter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Agree although Rivals needs him more. Not sure JGT, BMatt, or Zima Lee see it that way though.

Is that including Keef?

I think their plan is to full merge AU's Scoiut site into AUC & bring Jason Caldwell over. I think he will be the new AUC reporter.

beat writers like the AL.COM auburn guys and the other AU beat writers for the newspapers that are left. Rivals and 247 need the best of both sites. Rivals need more quality recruiting people LIKE a KEEF. Wolk is not as good as him but he def is better than J Lee.  JLee was not great before but he is even worse since he came back when it comes to getting scoops. AND 247 needs fun personalities who are reporters to interact on the message board like JGT and J Lee do. My gosh the AU 247 message board is so dang boring and dryyyyyyyyyyyyyy. No one who posts there seems to have a personality. 

Edited by GwillMac6

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

beat writers like the AL.COM auburn guys and the other AU beat writers for the newspapers that are left. 

Oh. I thought modern day beat writers meant anyone who covers one school no matter the medium, since newspapers are obsolete as Matt Hardy would say.

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

My gosh the AU 247 message board is so dang boring and dryyyyyyyyyyyyyy. No one who posts there seems to have a personality.  

Hmmm. I would think King Redbeard has a personality. He's the heel of the AU beat IMO.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Hmmm. I would think King Redbeard has a personality. He's the heel of the AU beat IMO.

Was talking more along the lines of the posters. They are nowhere near as fun as the Rivals posters. Marcello lol man he gets in a new argument daily it seems on the message board or on twitter. And honestly it is his own fault most of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

beat writers like the AL.COM auburn guys and the other AU beat writers for the newspapers that are left. Rivals and 247 need the best of both sites. Rivals need more quality recruiting people LIKE a KEEF. Wolk is not as good as him but he def is better than J Lee.  JLee was not great before but he is even worse since he came back when it comes to getting scoops. AND 247 needs fun personalities who are reporters to interact on the message board like JGT and J Lee do. My gosh the AU 247 message board is so dang boring and dryyyyyyyyyyyyyy. No one who posts there seems to have a personality. 

Pay for my sub and I’m in. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Pay for my sub and I’m in. 

I am sure your favorite marcello will since he is SUCH a big fan of yours!

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am sure your favorite marcello will since he is SUCH a big fan of yours!

He blocks people for the lamest jokes. You’d think he’d be used to it by now. 

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2018 at 8:20 AM, ellitor said:

If we pull Booth and Stephenson I’ll do back flips.  They are probably my 2 biggest wants in this class remaining.  Elite corners are just hard to come by and we have had a hard time pulling in big time recruits in the secondary consistently.  

• Like 1