2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

17 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If we pull Booth and Stephenson I’ll do back flips.  They are probably my 2 biggest wants in this class remaining.  Elite corners are just hard to come by and we have had a hard time pulling in big time recruits in the secondary consistently.  

TS may be a Dawg lean now FWIW.

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Booo this man!!!  Lol.  Don’t bring reality into my dream dang it

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

Two big OL targets to visit Saturday

• By Keith Niebuhr
  •  • 1 min re

• Auburn landed another big piece to the 2019 recruiting class when tight end Luke Deal of Greenwood (S.C.) Emerald committed to the Tigers. With two tight ends now on board (they also have Tyler Fromm committed), Auburn's offensive recruiting focus turns largely to the offensive line and running back.

And, two of the Tigers' biggest offensive line targets are scheduled to visit Saturday.

Auburn Undercover has learned teammates Adrian Medley and Hunter Rayburn of Pensacola (Fla.) will be on campus to check out the Tigers. Medley, who is 6-feet-4, 305 pounds, is a tackle. The 6-feet-4, 320-pound Rayburn is a guard.

While both hold 3-star ratings, Auburn is believed to consider them having a far greater value than that. The Tigers scouted the duo in person this spring.

Rayburn, in particular, has seen his stock soar of late. In recent weeks, programs such as Alabama and Clemson have offered.

The bottom line: These are two prospects the Auburn staff likes a lot.

Right now, the Tigers have one offensive lineman committed -- 3-star center Jakai Clark of Grayson (Ga.)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/two-big-ol-targets-to-visit-saturday/
via http://cbssportsapp.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Two big OL targets to visit Saturday

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

It would be nice if we get both of them. After only signing 2 OL last Feb., we need big more big offensive linemen in this class.

2 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Any predictions on who will be the next to commit?  Big big weekend coming up.  

Jamond Gordon probably.

7 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Any predictions on who will be the next to commit?  Big big weekend coming up.  

Jamond Gordon would have to be the favorite. Jashawn Sheffield.next most likely. Keiondre Jones a darkhorse. I wouldn't put money on a BCW commit. doesn't usually happen.

Edited by ellitor

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Jamond Gordon would have to be the favorite. Jashawn Sheffield.next most likely. Keiondre Jones a darkhorse. I wouldn't put money on a BCW commit. doesn't usually happen.

Not sure why,  but it seems Big Cat produces more commits for the year after..  

7 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Not sure why,  but it seems Big Cat produces more commits for the year after..  

Not really. roughly 40% of current class attendees usually end up signing with AU.

40 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

That is good info E.  Thanks for that.  

You're welcome. It's always an interesting statistic. Last years was only about 33% FWIW.

Edited by ellitor

On 5/28/2018 at 12:04 AM, ellitor said:

Why do you keep pushing this narrative? Other than 2009, 2014, and maybe last year bc I honestly can’t remember at the moment... we’ve always secured at least one commitment from BCW. 

Do the coaches push for lots of commits? No,.. but we usually see at least one ??‍♂️

42 minutes ago, WDE01 said:

Why do you keep pushing this narrative? Other than 2009, 2014, and maybe last year bc I honestly can’t remember at the moment... we’ve always secured at least one commitment from BCW. 

Do the coaches push for lots of commits? No,.. but we usually see at least one ??‍♂️

The key word in both of your posts is”usually “, which makes you both somewhat correct!

2 hours ago, WDE01 said:

Why do you keep pushing this narrative?

My apologies @WDE01. I just said a couple of times what Keith has been saying this week. I should have checked behind him on my own. I wasn't pushing any narrative. Again, my apologies to you, @The Plainsman and the rest of the readers. We have gotten commits in 6 of the 9 years we have had BCW. Here is a great breakdown by Ben Wolk from last year.

Big Cat history: Core of past Auburn classes attended Tigers’ signature event

AUBURN, Ala. — Big Cat Weekend 2017 is right around the corner.

Auburn’s premier recruiting event of the summer takes place Saturday with a few dozen of the nation’s top prospects arriving on the Plains. It’s a chance for the best prospects on the Tigers’ board to get more personalized time with Auburn’s coaching staff, Auburn’s current football players and each other.

Big Cat Weekend almost always — 2009 and 2014 are the exceptions — secures a commitment.

NEXT GEN: How longtime Alabama fan became an Auburn football player

The event began in 2009 when Gene Chizik launched it. Since then, it has caught on as one of the best recruiting events of any SEC program.

Take a look back at all of Auburn’s successful Big Cat Weekend moments.

Big Cat Weekend 2010

Quarterback Kiehl Frazier became the first player to commit to Auburn on Big Cat Weekend when he made the announcement in the summer of 2010.

Auburn Tigers-Auburn football-Kiehl Frazier
Former Auburn quarterback Kiehl Frazier (Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)

The 4-star quarterback was the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback in the nation and the top prospect out of the state of Arkansas. His Arkansas connection is a big reason why he ended up at Auburn. Frazier played quarterback at Shiloh Christian, which is where Gus Malzahn — then Auburn’s offensive coordinator — found great success as a high school coach.

Malzahn helped seal the deal.

“He played a huge role,” Frazier told Jeffrey Lee of Rivals.com at the time. “He was the first to offer me when he was at Tulsa. He’s a great coach and a great person. I’m familiar with his offense. We still run the basics of it at Shiloh.”

Other notable attendees who signed with Auburn:

• Reese Dismukes
  • Kris Frost
  • Greg Robinson
  • Gabe Wright

Big Cat Weekend 2011

Going into Big Cat that year, Shane Callahan already had an idea he’d make some noise.

The 4-star offensive tackle from Colorado arrived for the recruiting trip and didn’t hesitate. He formally committed to the Tigers. He just wanted to get face-to-face with coaches to do it. Callahan was ranked the No. 26 offensive tackle in the nation, which slotted him at No. 230 among overall prospects.

“I knew awhile back. I knew I should make the decision now. I’m ready. It’s where I want to be,”  Callahan then told AL.com. “I’m excited to be a part of the family. They said I’d fit in with the tackles.”

• Josh Holsey
  • Ricardo Louis
  • Cassanova McKinzy
  • Tyler Nero
  • Zeke Pike

Big Cat Weekend 2012

Arshad Jackson’s recruitment turned out to be an eventful one that led him to Ole Miss, but it all got started with his Big Cat Weekend commitment to Auburn.

The 3-star tight end from Georgia attended the event with his family, which was all they needed to see to decide it was time for him to commit to the Tigers. At the time, Auburn beat out Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Ole Miss and others.

“After I came the first time, and I came here again, it was a good feeling. Something told me it was the school for me,” Jackson told Rivals.com. “They told me they were going to use me a lot. They said they would be throwing the ball more, and the tight end will be in the formation more.”

Ultimately, Auburn didn’t sign Jackson. In fact, the Tigers didn’t take a tight end at all in the class, but the Class of 2013 turned out to be one of Auburn’s best.

• Montravius Adams
  • Carl Lawson

Big Cat Weekend 2013

Auburn’s first 2-fer came in 2013 when the Tigers scored Jakell Mitchell and Nick Ruffin on the same day.

DSC_0128-2_if6vpx.jpg
Auburn safety Nick Ruffin (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Mitchell, a tight end from Auburn’s backyard in Opelika, picked the Tigers to start the day. Mitchell was ranked the No. 17 tight end in the nation and the 14th-best player in the state of Alabama. At the time, his high school coach was now-Auburn staff member Brian Blackmon who raved about Mitchell following the commitment.

“Jakell’s a very good leader, a very driven young man. He’s known since he was in 8th grade that he wanted to play college football. He does what he needs to do in the classroom, does what he needs to do in the weight room and on the practice field,” Blackmon told Matt Scalici of AL.com “The sky is the limit for him.”

The day wasn’t over, however.

Ruffin decided it was his time, as well. The 4-star defensive back from St. Pius X (Ga.) was the No. 10 cornerback in the nation and the No. 116 overall prospect in the nation. He has since become a staple of the Auburn defense and will likely remain the case in 2017.

“It was definitely a big decison, and I felt that it needed to be made. I couldn’t really hold it back anymore. I stepped on the field, and I fell in love instantly,” Ruffin told AL.com.

• Deshaun Davis
  • Kamryn Pettway
  • Dontavius Russell
  • Roc Thomas
  • Andrew Williams
  • Tre’ Williams

Big Cat Weekend 2014

This was one of Auburn’s two years without a Big Cat Weekend commitment. Still, it seemed worthy of mention because, well, check out the list of players who attended the event and ultimately picked Auburn. It’s an impressive list and goes to show how valuable the weekend can be even if no commitments happen on the specific date itself.

Notable attendees who signed with Auburn:

• Montavius Atkinson
  • Jeff Holland
  • Mike Horton
  • Kerryon Johnson
  • Kaleb Kim
  • Richard McBryde
  • Tyler Queen
  • Jovon Robinson
  • Bailey Sharp
  • Jason Smith
  • Maurice Swain
  • Darrell Williams

Big Cat Weekend 2015

This was an interesting event because Auburn picked up two commitments from two different recruiting classes.

GettyImages-619699180_hk8ars.jpg
Auburn wide receiver Eli Stove (Butch Dill/Getty Images)

As part of the Class of 2016, wide receiver Eli Stove chose Auburn. Stove was a 4-star prospect from Niceville (Fla.) who had a standout freshman year for the Tigers. Before that, he was the No. 20 wide receiver and No. 122 overall prospect who decided to pick Auburn at Big Cat Weekend.

“I love that program,” he told Wesley Sinor of AL.com.

That wasn’t all.

The Class of 2017 got its first commitment during the weekend, too. 5-star Calvin Ashley — the highest-rated player to commit on Big Cat Weekend — made his decision very early in the process, which resulted in a hectic last few months for Ashley.

He knew where he’d end up all along.

“It’s so much relief that I can now stick to one school and be very happy,” Ashley told Keith Niebuhr of 247Sports. “I’m very happy. I brought my whole family here this weekend just so I could do that here with the coaching staff. I’m very, very happy.”

Other notable attendees who eventually signed with Auburn:

• John Broussard
  • Derrick Brown
  • Nate Craig-Myers
  • Marlon Davidson
  • Kyle Davis
  • Antwuan Jackson
  • Malik Miller
  • Jayvaughn Myers
  • Tre Threat

Big Cat Weekend 2016

Most recently, Auburn claimed another two-for-one special, though only one ended up signing with the Tigers.

Auburn recruiting-Auburn football-Auburn Tigers football-Jarrett Stidham-Calvin Ashley-Devan Barrett-Malik Willis-Nick Brahms-Malcolm Askew
Auburn early enrollee Malcolm Askew (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Malcolm Askew verbalized his commitment to the Tigers’ coaching staff at Big Cat Weekend last year. From there, Askew became the vocal leader of the class, which led to several other commitments. Askew was the eighth-ranked athlete in the nation and the 215th-ranked overall prospect.

“I was pretty sure I knew where I wanted to go back when I made the visit and talked with Coach (Wesley) McGriff and Coach (Kevin) Steele back in January,” Askew told Keith Niebuhr of 247Sports. “I had given them an idea, but I didn’t really tell them until that moment. Coach Malzahn was kind of shocked. It was a good deal.”

Auburn also rounded out an exciting weekend for Octavius Matthews who de-committed from Louisville when it started and committed to Auburn when it ended. By the end of that running back’s recruitment, he chose to de-commit to Auburn and commit to Kansas.

Other notable attendees who eventually signed with Auburn:

• Devan Barrett
  • Nick Brahms
  • Kenney Britt
  • Carlito Gonzalez
  • Tadarian Moultry
  • Austin Troxell
  • Tyrone Truesdell

•  

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

OL recruiting isn’t going very well. 

I've noticed this. We haven't seemed to be too high on a lot of our OL targets. Fortunately there is a lot of time between now and NSD to try and pick up the slack.

49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith has a free predicting the class article up. I'm not going to paste the body because it's too damn long & Keith has earned the clicks. Good & realistic read...

Predicting the 2019 Auburn recruiting class

That would be a great class if Keith continued his streak of 100% correct this year.

54 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Keith has a free predicting the class article up. I'm not going to paste the body because it's too damn long & Keith has earned the clicks. Good & realistic read...

Predicting the 2019 Auburn recruiting class

If he was 100% correct with these predictions....whoa nellie!

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

That would be a great class if Keith continued his streak of 100% correct this year.

Those aren't considered official predictions to be included as part of his 100% for the year. That's strictly crystal ball picks & he hasn't crystal balled some of them to AU yet.

• Like 1