Rod and Paula Bramblett Killed in Car Accident

9 hours ago, alexava said:

I totally appreciate and respect this lawyer for saying that. I don’t think anyone can disagree with it. I don’t think it’s in the best interest of his case though. He’s probably going to be fired and it sounds like he doesn’t care. 

Quite the opposite.  I think the lawyer is brilliant and and is sowing the seeds for the "troubled young man" defense, similar in structure to the "Affluenza" defense:

Affluenza excuse == from the aforementioned article “He never learned that sometimes you don’t get your way,” Gary Miller, a psychologist assigned to Couch said in court. “He had the cars and he had the money. He had freedoms that no young man would be able to handle."

With crafty wording a new defense can be had. The had freedoms that no "troubled young man" would be able to handle.  This case could have the same implications as the Affluenza case.  As in the Affluenza case, with this case - supposing the lawyer gets a favorable judgement for the "troubled young man" defense - the defendant is not absolved for the wrong doing.  The charges are greatly diminished due to the [mental] state of the accused.  The Affluenza case is a travesty for exactly this reason.  The charges and conviction should be in accordance to the direct interpretations of the law as they are applied to the case, not the defendant's capability to comprehend the nature and application of the law.  Grace if any, could be extended in sentencing.  

BTW: The DA is playing nice.  I'm not so sure I wouldn't have replied with "I don't know how troubled he is because he has no trouble finding the car keys and the accelerator."  I don't mean to sound cruel, cold and harsh; it just seems a gentle pull on his chain isn't working. Perhaps a fairly strong tug on the "family" chain is necessary.  

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/14/2019 at 10:56 PM, Barnacle said:

What kind of connection? 

People might want to verify their information before they decide to start boycotting a local business.

When did we start doing the journalist's jobs

I am not going to go dig up all the old posts from last spring about the J&M connection sorry.

3 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

When did we start doing the journalist's jobs

I am not going to go dig up all the old posts from last spring about the J&M connection sorry.

So you don’t know?

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

So you don’t know?

What does the name Johnston mean to you Sherlock

8 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

What does the name Johnston mean to you Sherlock

Many things. I know many Johnstons. I know some Johnstons who are not related to other Johnstons. And even some Johnstons who don’t support shitbags that they are related to. 

So I guess We should play it safe and boycott all things Johnston. 

11 hours ago, alexava said:

Many things. I know many Johnstons. I know some Johnstons who are not related to other Johnstons. And even some Johnstons who don’t support shitbags that they are related to. 

So I guess We should play it safe and boycott all things Johnston. 

Is Johnson and Johnson ok since neither have a t in there or should I boycott just in case?

In search of solid answers: Is the teenage driver related to the owners of J&M bookstore, and if so, why does this relationship call for a boycott? This shouldn't be top secret information that can't be posted here.

I am just now discovering these latest developments and I really don't have much to add to what's already been posted. WTF!!!   This kid needs to be in jail, period. 

Frankly, he sounds like a sociopath.  If I had killed two innocent people in an accident at age 16, I don't think I would want to drive again for a long, long time.  Hell, I'd probably still be in therapy.

And what the hell is up with his parents enabling  him!!???  I hope the civil suit takes everything they have.

One question:  does he have both a mother and a father?

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

In search of solid answers: Is the teenage driver related to the owners of J&M bookstore, and if so, why does this relationship call for a boycott? This shouldn't be top secret information that can't be posted here.

It doesn't, unless this kid's parents are the principals. 

In that case, I would just as soon see it become "Bramblett and Malone".

Two things:

1. The kid has close family connections to J&M. That’s why people are calling for a boycott and insinuating that he’s getting forms of special treatment by Auburn law due to this connection.

2. Is this what the political forum is like? Seems like hell. 

So the the parents bailed the kid and put him back on the road. The kid pokes the mourning community in the eye by continuously driving around in a manner that suggests he doesn't give a damn and might just think he won't be in any real legal trouble. 

33 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

The parents bailed the kid and put him back on the road. The kid pokes the mourning community in the eye by continuously driving around in a manner that suggests he doesn't give a damn and might just think he won't be in any real legal trouble. Most of the time the community just has to be helplessly outraged. But not if the parents own a book store.

Do they own it or not? Are they in any way connected to it or not? If so, how so? These are questions that should have a definitive answer before talking about a boycott just because the kid's first name starts with a "J".

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

It doesn't, unless this kid's parents are the principals. 

They are not the principals and the kids name is Johnson, not Johnston. Understand he is in some way related to the Johnston's but not going to speculate and really do not care.

With you on feelings about the kids abilities mentally and otherwise to be allowed driving.  

https://www.oanow.com/news/crime_courts/bond-hearing-set-for-suspect-in-bramblett-crash/article_82e019f2-9085-58e9-9400-fbf32

BTW, the Johnston family experienced their on family tragedy in the past. Brother in law to the principles was pro golfer Payne Stewart's agent and on the Learjet that depressurized and eventually crashed after all on board had died.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2005-05-26-0505260131-story.html

4 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

So every single article referring to him as Johnston is wrong?

Obviously someone is

The Lee County District Attorney’s Office filed a motion Friday asking for Johnson Edward Taylor’s bond to be revoked. Lee County Judge Russell Bush will hear the motion filed by the office at 9 a.m. Wednesday, according to court records.

50 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Obviously someone is

The Lee County District Attorney’s Office filed a motion Friday asking for Johnson Edward Taylor’s bond to be revoked. Lee County Judge Russell Bush will hear the motion filed by the office at 9 a.m. Wednesday, according to court records.

It's Johnston. Court docs confirm that. I'm looking at them right now.

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

They are not the principals and the kids name is Johnson, not Johnston. Understand he is in some way related to the Johnston's but not going to speculate and really do not care.

With you on feelings about the kids abilities mentally and otherwise to be allowed driving.  

https://www.oanow.com/news/crime_courts/bond-hearing-set-for-suspect-in-bramblett-crash/article_82e019f2-9085-58e9-9400-fbf32

BTW, the Johnston family experienced their on family tragedy in the past. Brother in law to the principles was pro golfer Payne Stewart's agent and on the Learjet that depressurized and eventually crashed after all on board had died.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2005-05-26-0505260131-story.html

You’re wrong. It’s Johnston.

On 12/14/2019 at 9:05 PM, ToraGirl said:

The accused has connections to J&M. His continued behavior is being seen by many as entitlement and enablement.   I went to high school with his mom. We haven't connected in years. She was super-sweet, and I grieve for her, but this continued behavior and its allowance is inexcusable. My greater concern is for Shelby, Josh, and the Burchams. I would give anything to spare them one further second of grief. Just praying that the Lord will wrap His arms around them tightly, sheltering them and providing love and support from all directions. Christmas, I imagine, will be unspeakably hard. 

I wanted to thank you for the clarification but also to let others have a chance to see this post of even reread it. There are some here than either haven't seen it and several other posts or they are simply choosing to dismiss the fact that you state you knew his mom. I just think it's odd a few people here wouldn't think your input is credible on this.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

You’re wrong. It’s Johnston.

O A News is wrong. As stated, he is a related to the family in some way but the J &  M principles are not his parents. 

Is he the grandson of Trey Johnston? Or a nephew? Great nephew? Is there any evidence to the fact that the kid is getting special treatment, due to his family connection? They plan to try him as an adult, so he did not escape the probability of harsh sentencing due to his family connection. I am not sure, at this point, that any kind of boycott is justified. More info is needed. I haven't shopped there in several years, since we switched our tailgating spot to the other side of campus. Plus, it is too dang crowded on game days!

@ToraGirl, I too grieve for this kid's parents. Even though it seems like they should be more judicious in handling their son, I know they must be filled with worry and shame. In the situation I talked about with my friend who lost her son, I also became friends with the mother of the boy who was driving when the accident occured. I got to watch first hand how that affected their family, too. God made much good come out of it, but the parents were open to that. I hope that this kid's parents have a pastor and good friends to give wise advice.

I say all that, but I firmly believe that this kid should have had his license suspended and the keys taken away. His life should consist of school, home and church and that's it!!!

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

I wanted to thank you for the clarification but also to let others have a chance to see this post of even reread it. There are some here than either haven't seen it and several other posts or they are simply choosing to dismiss the fact that you state you knew his mom. I just think it's odd a few people here wouldn't think your input is credible on this.

I could say MUCH more. And it would be absolute, recent truth. It is simply none of our business. I choose to believe that praying for justice to be done and continued healing for those closest to the situation, is my business, though. Thanks for being so discerning! 🦋🙏

Archived