Perfection that almost never existed

Tigerpro2a

So I like to listen to Audio Books while working. I found "Tales from the Auburn 2004 Championship Season" on Audible. 

Man I forgot how crazy Jet-Gate was. Makes me think had PTB successfully fired Tubbs there is a good chance 2004 never happens. 

Everything just lined up perfect with bringing in Borges to make the most of Williams and Brown ...man what a year

• WarTiger changed the title to Perfection that almost never existed

2004's success started with a number of likely high NFL draft picks on both sides of the ball deciding to return for their senior year. Coach Tuberville's best recruiting that year was getting those guys to come back. 2019 is starting off the same way, at least on the D-line. Maybe guys coming back for their senior years will pay off again.

The other thing about '04 and again in '10...almost no key players suffered serious injuries that required lost playing time. We'll need to have that happen again too, if we hope to be headed for perfection.

2004 didn’t have a freshman QB starting.  I’d love to see us run the table, but let’s not get our hopes up yet.  We have a lot to overcome with the schedule and breaking in a new QB.

24 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

2004 didn’t have a freshman QB starting.  I’d love to see us run the table, but let’s not get our hopes up yet.  We have a lot to overcome with the schedule and breaking in a new QB.

Freshmen, senior— what’s the difference? ;)

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

3 years 😁

and 4 letters.

edit: I figured it was too early in the morning to be a smartaleck, but since we're all awake...

My recollection is that 2003 was supposed to be a great year and failed right from the start despite great takent...some injuries, etc..  And those same guys came back for 2004....should have/could have been back to back perfect seasons....JMO.

Petrino as HC with Chizik as DC and that level of talent on both sides of the ball would probably have resulted in a similar season, but we will never know.  The 2004 squad is my favorite AU team and would beat the 2010 team, imo.

9 hours ago, triangletiger said:

A freshman QB isn’t optimal, but the recent successes of Fromm, Hurts, Lawrence, and a few others show it can be done. 

9 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Petrino as HC with Chizik as DC and that level of talent on both sides of the ball would probably have resulted in a similar season, but we will never know.  The 2004 squad is my favorite AU team and would beat the 2010 team, imo.

What do you think the odds would have been that those guys would have come back for their senior season if Tubbs had been fired?

43 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

What do you think the odds would have been that those guys would have come back for their senior season if Tubbs had been fired?

Not sure but a Petrino/Chizik staff could've probably convinced a lot of them if not all.  If Petrino would've stayed in '03 that season would've been special as well.  I don't know if Tubs deserved to be fired after '03 but he definitely underachieved badly.  Not hiring a real OC after Petrino left was a very dumb decision.

34 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Not sure but a Petrino/Chizik staff could've probably convinced a lot of them if not all.  If Petrino would've stayed in '03 that season would've been special as well.  I don't know if Tubs deserved to be fired after '03 but he definitely underachieved badly.  Not hiring a real OC after Petrino left was a very dumb decision.

I recall that loss in 03 to USC....Caddy with cramps or something and offense was dead after that...and losing to Ga Tech.....that was a good example of one team (USC) beating you twice.     From a pre-season top 5 team to ….ugh....one of biggest disappointment seasons I can think of.     That bama win almost certainly saved TT"s job

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I recall that loss in 03 to USC....Caddy with cramps or something and offense was dead after that...and losing to Ga Tech.....that was a good example of one team (USC) beating you twice.     From a pre-season top 5 team to ….ugh....one of biggest disappointment seasons I can think of.     That bama win almost certainly saved TT"s job

The only thing that saved his job was the backlash from the Louisville AD going public with AU's plans to hire Petrino.  That's the biggest "what could've been" in my 35+ years of following AU football.

2 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Agree.

The Offenses were comparable in awesomeness.

The Defenses were......not so comparable.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

2004's success started with a number of likely high NFL draft picks on both sides of the ball deciding to return for their senior year. Coach Tuberville's best recruiting that year was getting those guys to come back. 2019 is starting off the same way, at least on the D-line. Maybe guys coming back for their senior years will pay off again.

The other thing about '04 and again in '10...almost no key players suffered serious injuries that required lost playing time. We'll need to have that happen again too, if we hope to be headed for perfection.

WE ALSO HAD A VERY QUALIFIED OC CALLING THE PLAYS, DEVELOPING  A Game plan and making game time adjustments.

Archived