Minnesota Post-Game Thread

AUDynasty

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

What intrinsic value did Auburn gain from it?  It was fun for night, sure.  It brought about a bunch of funny memes.  But that's it.

Does it change anything as far as the status quo?  Nope.  Next year, Bama will be competing for a playoff spot yet again.  It's very likely we won't be.

While I enjoy seeing bad things come to uat, my number one objective is to see good things come to Auburn . I would never rather see uat lose as to see AU win. 

2 minutes ago, rophle said:

F4CAFDD8-AA64-40BB-B4A8-DCC7DEBE73B0.jpeg

For Gus it only happens in certain games.  May I remind you of the 2018 IB where Gus took the air out of the ball with 3 minutes left in the half and down only 7 points.  He did the same thing in the 2nd half.  Not to mention the 2016 and 2017 Clemson game along with the 2017 LSU game.  I don’t mind people supporting Gus, but to defend the undefinable is disingenuous.

11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No one is asking the players to lay down at any time. What folks are pointing out is Gus is “not” a motivator. As a person who played a lot of sports I can promise you that motivation is extremely important . Good example was Worms running over of uat’s DB. I’m sure the DB has an advantage in both size and technique but he wasn’t nearly as motivated as Worm who had really been totally under  utilized all year. The result was worm knocked the DB into sometime next week. That’s what motivation does  for you. Gus gets mad but he never motivates anyone. I don’t think it’s in his DNA. You can like him all you want but that will never make him sucessful. Another example was Chizik was a good motivator and won the NC but in 2011 he tried to become a CEO instead of continuing to motivate his players he took away all motivation . Result was day and night between the 2009 and 2010 teams and the 2011 and 2012 teams. Even with probably better talent because the later teams had no motivation. 

You’re questioning motivation, are you serious? I was in the stands in 2012; I know what unmotivated players look like, this ain’t it, bud. 

14 minutes ago, rophle said:

F4CAFDD8-AA64-40BB-B4A8-DCC7DEBE73B0.jpeg

Cool.  We won the game.  What did we gain from it?  We still got a lower tiered bowl than Bama, will be ranked behind them at season's end, didn't win a championship, etc, etc.

Now, over the next five years, which program has the better outlook?  Nothing has changed.

Here's the fundamental difference (and hard truth) between our fans and Bama fans.  Their fans demand championships.  Our fans demand to beat Bama.  Until we start demanding more, nothing will change.  Beating Bama can't be the be all, end all of Auburn football.  

17 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

We just finished year 7 with Gus and he's still a total enigma. He's either the worst good coach in college football or the best bad coach. I can't figure him out and it's driving me crazy. 

Nobody can figure him out -- except DCs.

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

I wish you'd stop the this guy is playing so we can say the other guy isn't as good....Gus has already shown at other positions and at QB he'll play the wrong guy. 

Come up with something else

Amazing how people forget how awful of a talent evaluater he is when it comes to who is on his damn team

13 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think what bothered me the most is how he let cord come in and throw the ball. He wouldn't let jg, Willis, Franklin, Barrett and I'm sure some of those guys couldn't throw but it was a slap in the face to do JG like that. 

You know we're on the same page here bro, but JG and Cord each threw the same exact number of passes over the same amount of time at AU. A whopping 8 attempts lol but they passed the same amount.

12 hours ago, keesler said:

Holy Mother, Auburn is the King of cheesy sayings and folks down here eat that crap up.

Example: A New Day, Earn It, Bring It, Auburn Fast, All In, Ride for the Brand are just a few in Gus’ tenure.  People love those  sayings even with a staff that averages 4-5 losses consistently.    

Rowing the Boat with an energetic coach like Fleck that would damn well work down here.  I’m buying the oars if this Admin ever gets the nerve to go after him.

Preaaach

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

First no we can't agree that about mimms, he's a horrible poster. Second is even though a person was wanting a loss that person is still looking out for the best interest of Auburn, he just understands how we have a big portion of our fan base that are content with a win here and there and another part of our fan base that doesn't look at circumstances and will always find a way to say everything is ok. And it's not made up, we have watched the last two seasons of that exact scenario happen. He can't have any faith that after the season if changes need to be made then so be it. 

Amazing how so many people can't see the forest for the trees.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Yesterday was another example of how Gus just runs his offense and play sequences in order to set up a big play.  I never see us attacking a weakness or exploiting one with our offense.  I don’t understand this high school level of game planning at all.  A defense could lose a cornerback and we will never attack that new guy.  

Been this way since the beginning. The system is meant to just be the system it's not supposed to take advantage of what the defense's weaknesses or holes.

1 hour ago, rophle said:

Obtuse? Hardly. And being lumped with Mikey seems to be good company, he’s one of the more level headed and rational posters on here. 

LMAO maybe delete this before more people see it, man.

I want PJ Fleck to be our next coach whenever that may be. He's inspiring.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I honestly was. It was the defensive performance, or lack thereof, that surprised me. The embarrassment on offense was much less surprising. 

Nobody on defense showed up but Derrick 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I honestly was. It was the defensive performance, or lack thereof, that surprised me. The embarrassment on offense was much less surprising. 

I agree and what was sad was the defense was playing hard but not smart. Once the coaches saw what they were doing to neutralize Brown and Davidson they did not make any changes. This was different then the bowl game a couple of years ago where our players were uninspired. The effort was there all game long but the execution was not as Minn. schemed us to take advantage of our Strength's and we did not adjust to it.  This is only game this year where Steele got out-coached. Sadly I can't say the same for Gus.  

There is an old saying in Sports if something is working do it until other team stops it. The Third quarter drive where we were hitting 5-10 yard passes in 1st and 2nd down worked great we took advantage of the fact they were playing off our receiver's. No drive after that did we do the same thing.  

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree and what was sad was the defense was playing hard but not smart. Once the coaches saw what they were doing to neutralize Brown and Davidson they did not make any changes. This was different then the bowl game a couple of years ago where our players were uninspired. The effort was there all game long but the execution was not as Minn. schemed us to take advantage of our Strength's and we did not adjust to it.  This is only game this year where Steele got out-coached. Sadly I can't say the same for Gus.  

There is an old saying in Sports if something is working do it until other team stops it. The Third quarter drive where we were hitting 5-10 yard passes in 1st and 2nd down worked great we took advantage of the fact they were playing off our receiver's. No drive after that did we do the same thing.  

Totally agree

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Funny you say this. Since Gus has been at Auburn (or at least so it seems) he runs from something that works. It almost appears intentional that he stops doing something that is obviously working, whereas other teams will pound over and over if you can't stop it.

This does change drastically when something doesn't work.... keep on trying until it works (every play after a 1st down for example).

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

what surprised me about the defense, is usually when they neutralize your dominant player (Brown) that allows other defensive players to shine. And with Brown double and sometimes triple teamed, how the heck did we never see someone else make a play, or become dominant. The ends were non existent and the tackles...little.

Even the LBs...I think i read where KJ made the first tackle of the game and never made another tackle in the game. How does that happen? He's your MLB.... Totally befuddled. 

Minnesota did a good job of watching film and knowing what plays to run, when the DEs crashed or LBs were overplaying...They were constantly getting the edge to the outside....

1 hour ago, DAG said:

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/threads/auburn-fan-reactions.94487/

Minnesota fans reading our boards. Reference my mighty ducks post. They deserve all the credit in the world. 

I especially liked the folks from Minnefrickensota talked about how terrible the state of Alabama is.

Lol.  Alabama gots lakes too and you don't have to cut a hole to fish in em.

14 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I especially liked the folks from Minnefrickensota talked about how terrible the state of Alabama is.

Check out US states ranked by education and obesity. 

Minnesota is rural and cold but they have nice things. 

24 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I also like the “the football program is all they’ve got” comment. It’s not like we were in the final 4 last year and only 1 of 2 undefeated teams left this year or anything. Lol

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Check out US states ranked by education and obesity. 

Minnesota is rural and cold but they have nice things. 

Yeah dude.  Been to Minnesota many times.  It's pretty sweet up there if you can handle the winter.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah dude.  Been to Minnesota many times.  It's pretty sweet up there if you can handle the winter.

I couldn't believe how much of a thing Minnesota Nice really is. 

Kinda surreal driving down the interstate and seeing snowmobiles crossing the overpasses. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I couldn't believe how much of a thing Minnesota Nice really is. 

Kinda surreal driving down the interstate and seeing snowmobiles crossing the overpasses. 

Wisconsin is that way too.  My wife's family has a vacation cottage on Lake Michigan in upper Wisconsin.  Love the people and it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Wisconsin is that way too.  My wife's family has a vacation cottage on Lake Michigan in upper Wisconsin.  Love the people and it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Duuuuude, I'm crazy jealous. I don't have to enumerate the reasons. Do I recall you mentioning that you were headed up there at some point in the last few months, and did I encourage you to drink all the New Glarus? If not, that is my wish for you on your next trip up. 

Huge, amazing country we live in. 

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

As freakin hot as its been getting down here in the south.....I've been thinking the cold don't sound so bad. Just gotta be prepared. Heck when I opened my back door today to look at the rain it hit me like I was in the shower. ITS JANUARY.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Duuuuude, I'm crazy jealous. I don't have to enumerate the reasons. Do I recall you mentioning that you were headed up there at some point in the last few months, and did I encourage you to drink all the New Glarus? If not, that is my wish for you on your next trip up. 

I went up there for work back in the summer for a day.  Drank plenty of Spotted Cow while waiting for my plane to depart.  Trying to get to her cottage sometime in the next year.  Been a while since I've gotten up that way for vacation.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In visiting Minnesota at the end of February, and I'm told they sell it there... Very excited. 

Just now, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

As freakin hot as its been getting down here in the south.....I've been thinking the cold don't sound so bad. Just gotta be prepared. Heck when I opened my back door today to look at the rain it hit me like I was in the shower. ITS JANUARY.

So here's what you have to keep in mind.  Cold up there can get REAL cold.  I canceled a business trip last February because the wind chill was minus 50.  It got to minus 20 a few times while I lived in Michigan a decade or so ago.

But summers up there severely beat the crap out of a hot/humid summer in the south.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

In visiting Minnesota at the end of February, and I'm told they sell it there... Very excited. 

Since when?  New Glarus usually doesn't leave the Wisconsin borders for sale.  If you find it though, ENJOY!

Archived