Men vs Alabama Game Thread

Maverick.AU

My goodness, with the way Updyke was shooting the 3 tonight, I thought the McLemore choke job was gonna be a killer. They had some good looks in OT but live by it die by it. Like Cole said earlier, thank goodness we had Wiley tonight. Huge dividends on both ends of the court. 

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

Happy AU won the game but that was some terrible basketball in the second half. For the life of me I dont understand why we stayed in a zone defense when they literally were getting wide open shot after wide open shot.  When we were in man defense the open 3s were cut in half or more. Bruce has forgotten more than I will ever know about coaching but can someone here explain the rationale behind staying in zone when they were shooting us out of it over and over? Finally I would have rather had them lose the game than have Okoro injured. I am hoping and praying it's just a pull or something and not a major injury.  

Have to give them credit. They were standing a good 2 to 3 feet behind the arc, and doing the step back because we were so cognizant of them driving. They killed us in T-Town driving to the hole. Bama is tough to guard man to man. We're not quick enough to stay with them effectively without fouling and getting gassed. That's 4 ball handlers/shooters with a 5 who shoots the 3. We surprised them by going man on their next to last possession which caused Lewis' only turnover of the night. They had a lot of bad misses with weird long bounces off the rim.

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

That is great news. Isaac needs all the time and rest he can get. This is an opportunity for Auburn to get other players step up. Cambridge, Flanigan, and Johnson--your time has come.

Whew. Yes. Time for those guys to step up, just a little bit. Be consistent. Cambridge and Flanigan are both looking a little more comfortable.

16 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

Happy AU won the game but that was some terrible basketball in the second half. For the life of me I dont understand why we stayed in a zone defense when they literally were getting wide open shot after wide open shot.  When we were in man defense the open 3s were cut in half or more. Bruce has forgotten more than I will ever know about coaching but can someone here explain the rationale behind staying in zone when they were shooting us out of it over and over? Finally I would have rather had them lose the game than have Okoro injured. I am hoping and praying it's just a pull or something and not a major injury.  

I thought it was weird too, but then I started thinking maybe Purifoy isn’t the only one who has been sick. It may be an issue of a lot of tired legs. 

6 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Cambridge made some major plays tonight, had a couple of boneheads to, but he stepped up again

He's looking less tentative and more assertive and alert on the defensive end. Need him to be solid around. He needs to get over the hump on the road scoring wise.

Another hard on my 82 year old heart win. I thought after our good start I could relax a little. Should have known better. The crowd noise was deafening.

This may be the only time all season I was thankful for an AU b-ball game to be over. So many dagger 3s by bama. Tip your cap cause that was a crazy shooting performance. I was not feeling good going into overtime but man if this team doesn’t gut out another win. Hoping Okoro’s injury is not too serious 😢

Let’s be real here, bama is not that good they’ve lost 11 games. Apparently we’re their super bowl. 

29 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Cambridge made some major plays tonight, had a couple of boneheads to, but he stepped up again

Speaking of boneheads.... Flannigan just doesn't seem to have a high basketball IQ... Like, at all.

31 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

"Please let us win this game without having to come from behind."

monkey paw curls

Well well done. I love this post. 

8 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Let’s be real here, bama is not that good they’ve lost 11 games. Apparently we’re their super bowl. 

They’re offensively probably the best we’ll play. They have a Villanova level of three point shooting (which is the gold standard on this level, in that regard). We are also horrid defending the 3 ball, so they’re perfectly built for us 

9 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Alabama is good team. They'll be in the tournament. They're a poor man's version of our team from last year. 

9 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I think it's more of a style matchup. The way Bama runs its offense is a tough, difficult matchup for us. Their guards were five-stars, and it showed. Had this Bama team been still coached by Avery Johnson, we win by 20+ easy. 

49 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

At least going off the first game, we had one of the worst pick and roll defensive performances ever. Like we didn’t properly switch one of them the entire game I think. Not to mention they were able to get past our guards almost every time they tried. 

now why did we STAY in zone when we proved we couldn’t defend the 3? Who knows 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

At least going off the first game, we had one of the worst pick and roll defensive performances ever. Like we didn’t properly switch one of them the entire game I think. Not to mention they were able to get past our guards almost every time they tried. 

now why did we STAY in zone when we proved we couldn’t defend the 3? Who knows 

Maybe we are still feeling the effects of the flu. Plus Bama killed us in T-Town driving to the hoop. 4 ball handlers/shooters with  a 5 that shoots the 3. We don't have the quickness to effectively guard ALL of them without fouling. Tough match up. They are a better version of us the last 2 years minus an Okeke type threat at the forward position. That's what I see.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShootyHoopsWill/status/1227787305521381376

We really have had unfortunate luck with injuries since 2014 in both sports. I think with the bracket they were given, a healthy 2017 Auburn would’ve made a crazy run. Last year obviously was what it was

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Thank goodness for Wiley and Okoro in this game. They were the only ones doing anything offensively for the last 7 or so minutes in the second half before OT. Wiley with a massive 18 point, 17 rebound, 5 block game with only 1 turnover and 1 foul. Glad to get that win but holy crap why can't things be easier? bama shot LIGHTS out from 3 and will probably lose the remainder of their games. War Eagle, all.

It feels like a broken record bringing up his hands after a game like that, so I won’t. But they are the only thing stopping him from being an all world player himself. Better than they were the previous game though, and that’s all we can ask for 

Injury update on Isaac Okoro

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn forward Isaac Okoro pulled his right hamstring scrambling on a fast-break late in a victory against Alabama on Wednesday.

Okoro is Auburn's top NBA prospect and is projected to be a first-round pick in the upcoming draft by many analysts. His status for the Tigers' trip to Missouri on Saturday appears dicey.

"He didn't rip it but he could be out a little bit," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said on the Tigers' postgame radio show Wednesday. "... We'll see how he is tomorrow."

Okoro led Auburn with 19 points and nine rebounds in the 95-91 overtime victory against Alabama. He was injured with less than 2 minutes remaining in regulation. He was examined by a team doctor and had to be helped off the floor by trainers. He limped to the locker room and did not return to the bench.

1 hour ago, tbone1430 said:

Any news on Okoro? I hope he’s ok and he just tweaked his hammy a little bit he looked pretty tender walking off the court...

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Injury-update-on-Auburn-Tigers-forward-Isaac-Okoro-143746306/

Pulled his hamstring

Archived