Men vs Alabama Game Thread

Maverick.AU

31 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

I think it's more of a style matchup. The way Bama runs its offense is a tough, difficult matchup for us. Their guards were five-stars, and it showed. Had this Bama team been still coached by Avery Johnson, we win by 20+ easy. 

Excellent point. Their guard play is generally at a high level and can present a difficult matchup for a lot of teams. When Kira and Petty are rolling and have a little help from someone else, they are a dangerous team. If they make the tourney, they could make some noise depending on the bracket. At this point, I’m glad to have split the season and protected our house. 

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot wait till Kira leaves. I hope he goes pro after this season. He's only a sophomore. I really don't want to deal with him for 2 more years. 

He makes that whole team go. His ability to penetrate in to the lane and consistently beat his man and get in the lane allows for all those open 3 point shot. They were hitting them and then some tonight. They hit a lot of contested ones in the second half.

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Excellent point. Their guard play is generally at a high level and can present a difficult matchup for a lot of teams. When Kira and Petty are rolling and have a little help from someone else, they are a dangerous team. If they make the tourney, they could make some noise depending on the bracket. At this point, I’m glad to have split the season and protected our house. 

That's pretty much been their MO since colin. If you can limit their guards, its a wrap. Its honestly amazing how similar they are to us in that regard

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I cannot wait till Kira leaves. I hope he goes pro after this season. He's only a sophomore. I really don't want to deal with him for 2 more years. 

He makes that whole team go. His ability to penetrate in to the lane and consistently beat his man and get in the lane allows for all those open 3 point shot. They were hitting them and then some tonight. They hit a lot of contested ones in the second half.

Bolden is a one and done grad transfer with Lewis hopefully(?) declaring. They have the shooters, but 2 experienced point guards are likely gone.

33 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

EXACTLY. This was my point as far as our offense, we don't have guys who can consistently do this and that's why our shooting numbers are down this year. Of course we had better shooters then as well but we don't get the same quality shots.

This is why I was saying work thru the post, not saying Wiley should lead us in attempts but thru ball movement we can get better shots.

Also we don't have Chuma who was an automatic mismatch 95% of the time and a willing passer. Bruce will have us doing something by time the tourney is here

Not many teams can win when getting outscored by 30 points from 3 point land (22-7). They set an SEC record with attempts AND makes and still lost.

The roller coaster that is watching Austin Wiley play the game of basketball!!! Lol. If he had better hands he would be SEC POTY. He's working his ass off though. He absolutely dominated bama this game. So happy he is having a good season!!! Just dismissing his hands he could have about 3 more buckets a game if he would not bring the ball down so low giving the guards a advantage and/or dribbling once. The dribbling does not help. It just hurts.

But dangit I freaking love how hard he plays even with his flaws. Dude worked his tail off to get in better condition and game shape. I know he was shaky at the line today but that is another improvement from him. War damn Austin Wiley!!!!

SMH. Why does this always happens to us regardless of the sport!?

3 hours ago, Britt in GA said:

I'd feel a whole lot better if we were to start making more free throws. We're going to need them soon either in the SEC tournament or the Dance.

J’Von stepped up and hit a few clutch ones down the stretch. Hopefully he’s gaining those ice water veins late in the game that Jared has.

Every win is a good win. My concern is that Auburn just cannot seem to put teams away.

4 out of the last 5 games have gone to OT. And 3 of those are bottom dwellers in the SEC which probably will not even sniff the NIT.

It's good that our guys know that they can pull wins out at the end, but it is not good to see Auburn gasping for life and struggling for wins against mediocre teams.

3 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I can't even. This team is going to kill me. If I die from basketball, will you all come to my funeral?

Would be proud to... albeit crying my eyes out. You're one of a kind, 3rd!

Besides his scoring and rebounding, Wiley was absolutely huge in this game. His back picks and shielding opened up so many drives for Samir and J'von.  I wish we could make an entry pass early in the clock. I think he would be able to make the pass out of the post when the double team came.  I think we are at our best playing inside out when we are drifting and cutting.

We were 7-31 from 3. That's almost 23%...that's terrible! We have to either be able to shoot better or be willing to pass up the 3 for a higher pct shot. They are just wasted possessions that allow our opponents to stay in games.

I don't know what I would wish for more, that Bruce would hire a shooting coach similar to Chip Engelland or a coach that can teach our bigs some low-post offensive skill. Probably the shooting coach...

8 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Alabama is good team. They'll be in the tournament. They're a poor man's version of our team from last year. 

I dont think they are gonna make the tournament.  They are 13-11 and they have a tough remaining SEC schedule.  It's not brutal but aTm and LSU are likely losses. USC and maybe Mizzo are losses.  Just dont have the record for it this year.  Maybe I'm wrong

At this rate we'll have to add an extra game to the record book to adjust to all this overtime we've been playing 😩

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

I dont think they are gonna make the tournament.  They are 13-11 and they have a tough remaining SEC schedule.  It's not brutal but aTm and LSU are likely losses. USC and maybe Mizzo are losses.  Just dont have the record for it this year.  Maybe I'm wrong

I agree they almost getting to the point where they would have to win out to get in. I haven’t seen that they are capable of that. If they played a little defense they would be pretty good

I wish we'd boat race Bama but I guess rivals are always hard to handle even at home. Good game and another gritty performance even without Okoro towards the end of the game. Hope Okoro is okay. I've never been more frustrated with officiating in basketball before. There were times they were obviously flopping without contact and they would hit us for a foul but Austin Wiley can get tackled and the refs don't even glance at it.

Props to whatever fan yelled so loud I could hear them over the BSPN announcers drooling about Bama who, I assume towards the refs, said "DID NICK SABAN GIVE YOU BUMBS A CHECK OR SOMETHING?!"

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Besides his scoring and rebounding, Wiley was absolutely huge in this game. His back picks and shielding opened up so many drives for Samir and J'von.  I wish we could make an entry pass early in the clock. I think he would be able to make the pass out of the post when the double team came.  I think we are at our best playing inside out when we are drifting and cutting.

We were 7-31 from 3. That's almost 23%...that's terrible! We have to either be able to shoot better or be willing to pass up the 3 for a higher pct shot. They are just wasted possessions that allow our opponents to stay in games.

I don't know what I would wish for more, that Bruce would hire a shooting coach similar to Chip Engelland or a coach that can teach our bigs some low-post offensive skill. Probably the shooting coach...

Yep. I knew he'd be vital this year, we're not the same defensive team and without our back end we'd really be in trouble. Also his rebounding is vital so we can start our breaks because that's where we excel,  at running a high tempo offense. Without a good rebounder we'd look like our football counterparts on offense before we get a first down

14 hours ago, jared52 said:

I’m gonna pull a @cole256 here and say I told you so. 😂 2 trips and uat drives and Wiley blocks. 

Lol it's funny the things we get remembered for....everybody talks about the I told you so, nobody adds up the hey we disagree and argue everything he says but he's more often than not right 😂

Archived