Men vs UGA Game Thread

Maverick.AU

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Man, I do a terrible job of letting this team get to me sometimes. I gotta stop letting that happen. Lol

Yup. Perspective. This team still has well surpassed reasonable expectations most of us had for them this season.

Tough loss......need some folks to step up. Purifoy, JJ, Cambridge, Flanigan, Mac.........none of these guys have been able to help with any consistency  this season. Mac and Purifoy have been the most disappointing to me because they are seniors. I'm not sure if Mac just has never recovered from his injury or if playing with Harper just made him look that much better. But days of him flying to the rim seem to be behind us. Though i think he did get one really nice oop las night. I don't even now what to make of Purifoy. He went from a solid all around player his freshmen year to a spot of 3 guy to now a maybe get 8 pts 5 reb guy this season on his best days. 

On a side note.....how cool is it that we are so much in the heads of Kentucky fans that they are coming on an AU board to talk smack! 😆

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yup. Perspective. This team still has well surpassed reasonable expectations most of us had for them this season.

A few beers and Auburn athletics always challenges my perspective 😂😂

This recruiting "class" ( not Jvon. He has been as good as can be expected from a very lightly recruited juco transfer) is one of the main reasons for this uneven roster and lack of difference makers and/or shooters. Thanks Chuck!!!! 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2018-Basketball/Commits/

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

This recruiting "class" ( not Jvon. He has been as good as can be expected from a very lightly recruited juco transfer) is one of the main reasons for this uneven roster and lack of difference makers and/or shooters. Thanks Chuck!!!! 

It definitely makes a difference. No Juniors and really no recruited sophomores either(JJohnson is a transfer).

And the freshmen have ability but its not pure shooters in there except maybe Cambridge. And to expect freshmen to impact your team is asking a lot(unless your a 5* or top level player such as Okoro).

I can remember those first years for Bryce Brown and Jarett Harper. Both struggled in their first year w/ consistency. Brown even struggled some far into his sophomore year. 

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It definitely makes a difference. No Juniors and really no recruited sophomores either(JJohnson is a transfer).

And the freshmen have ability but its not pure shooters in there except maybe Cambridge. And to expect freshmen to impact your team is asking a lot(unless your a 5* or top level player such as Okoro).

I can remember those first years for Bryce Brown and Jarett Harper. Both struggled in their first year w/ consistency. Brown even struggled some far into his sophomore year. 

Yep and I was one of those people that was very hard on bryce, sometimes he shot us out of games, but man what he turned into. The biggest thing about growing this brand and recruiting is that you can afford for guys to have time to grow if you’re getting multiple high level guys a year. If you can get 2-3 top level guys in a class, growing pains don’t show up as much as when you have 1 and they get injured. We aren’t to that point yet but that’s where Bruce is trying to get us.

Person really messed with our recruiting. Our roster is all out of balance because of him smh. How do you have a team exclusively of seniors and newcomers lol? Bruce will navigate us out of this though

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

And you can follow that up with Kentucky’s commit list from that year. Their top two signees would’ve been ours in Montgomery and Hagans.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And you can follow that up with Kentucky’s commit list from that year. Their top two signees would’ve been ours in Montgomery and Hagans.

I was just about to mention Montgomery and how Person cost us him.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

I was just about to mention Montgomery and how Person cost us him.

Hagans was a silent commit to us at the time also.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Every Saturday in the fall

And usually once  about a week after Christmas.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Person really messed with our recruiting. Our roster is all out of balance because of him smh. How do you have a team exclusively of seniors and newcomers lol? Bruce will navigate us out of this though

Is his jersey still hanging in the arena? We should take it down and send one like it to Missouri and Georgia with a note that we take those losses Person-ally. 

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Well true but also

I've had a beer at his grave site in Montgomery. 

There's an odd stone at a grave adjacent to his. It's got a pentagram and in each point of the star is a letter. It spells FATAL. 

Alabama's a weird place, man. 

Our overall talent level is not good right now.  For the future I see no difference makers on the roster on this team who will be on the team next year. Flanigan, Cambridge and J Williams should be bench guys and role players. Now will they improve? You would have to think so. But I do not think any of those guys are guys we can count on to be a go to scorer on the road in tough SEC games. Even worse there is not a single guy who will be on the team next year besides Coop AS OF RIGHT NOW that we can point at and go yup that dude is going to be a guy who is going to score a lot and be a key offensive contributor for us. How we close this recruiting class is going to go a long way on the outlook of next years team. We are in a position where we HAVE to find scoring punch to close out this class. And from multiple positions. Jalen Green is a must have recruit. We need him to help Coop with the scoring load for next season. But we need way more than just him. We have a lot of weaknesses that need to be addressed. Next year could be extremely mediocre at best if things do not go our way down the home stretch for this class in crutin.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I've had a beer at his grave site in Montgomery. 

There's an odd stone at a grave adjacent to his. It's got a pentagram and in each point of the star is a letter. It spells FATAL. 

Alabama's a weird place, man. 

You sure it wasn't a grave for Fat Al?

53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can they practice with Nike basketballs before road games or do we have exclusive with Wilson? That's a big enough difference to try something. 

Archived