Now a coin flip

SocialCircle

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

Speaking as someone who really doesn't like either one of these candidates; we absolutely disagree and in a big, big way. 

I can certainly believe you hate  dislike "libs" more than you love like Trump.  You're not the only one on this forum.

(Note: edited to disarm SC ;))

It's exactly why the politics of resentment and division are so successful for him. (At least to an apparent ceiling of about 40%)

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I can certainly believe you hate "libs" more than you love Trump.  You're not the only one on this forum.

It's exactly why the politics of resentment and division are so successful for him. (At least to an apparent ceiling of about 40%)

I don't hate anyone.  I dislike the bulk of the leftist philosophy as represented by today's Democrat Party as I think it is not what is best for our country. I love my life.  I don't resent anyone.  I am a very optimistic person. However, I believe there are many on the left that resent me simply because of the color of my skin and because of my religion. 

11 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I don't hate anyone.  I dislike the bulk of the leftist philosophy as represented by today's Democrat Party as I think it is not what is best for our country. I love my life.  I don't resent anyone.  I am a very optimistic person. However, I believe there are many on the left that resent me simply because of the color of my skin and because of my religion. 

I rest my case on the grievance politics.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I rest my case on the grievance politics.

I have nothing against these people and that is where you are wrong.  Typical of the left to accuse others of what they are doing.  Do you believe there are many on the left who believe my skin color causes me to be "privileged"  and therefore causes them to resent me?  This has ZERO to do with Trump.  

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

I have nothing against these people and that is where you are wrong.  Typical of the left to accuse others of what they are doing.  Do you believe there are many on the left who believe my skin color causes me to be "privileged"  and therefore causes them to resent me?  This has ZERO to do with Trump.  

Damn.  You're digging yourself deeper. :no:

This is classic grievance politics. And - along with fear - it's the very essence of Trump's populism. (It has noting to do with conservatism.) 

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Damn.  You're digging yourself deeper. :no:

This is classic grievance politics. And - along with fear - it's the very essence of Trump's populism. (It has noting to do with conservatism.) 

This has absolutely nothing to do with Trump. Are you going to continue to ignore my question?  

33 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

This has absolutely nothing to do with Trump. Are you going to continue to ignore my question?  

You are the one who brought up Trump.  And it has a lot to do with him - it is the essence of his appeal.

As far as your question, I don't think it deserves a response. It speaks for itself:  You are defensive because you are white and feel like you are under attack because of it. (That sounds like passive, latent racism). 

You are sensitive about being called "privileged" - presumably compared to black people - which any self-aware, critical-thinking white person would acknowledge as being generally true. 

As for myself, I certainly don't feel defensive or guilty about being white (that would be irrational). 

And being a self-assured, critical-thinking white person, I have no problem acknowledging the advantages of being white (instead of black) in our society.  And it doesn't threaten me to have someone - even a stranger - point it out.

Your mileage is apparently different.

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You are the one who brought up Trump.  And it has a lot to do with him - it is the essence of his appeal.

As far as your question, I don't think it deserves a response. It speaks for itself:  You are defensive because you are white and feel like you are under attack because of it. (That sounds like passive, latent racism). 

You are sensitive about being called "privileged" - presumably compared to black people - which any self-aware, critical-thinking white person would acknowledge as being generally true. 

As for myself, I certainly don't feel defensive or guilty about being white (that would be irrational). 

And being a self-assured, critical-thinking white person, I have no problem acknowledging the advantages of being white (instead of black) in our society.  And it doesn't threaten me to have someone - even a stranger - point it out.

Your mileage is apparently different.

I'm not in the least bit defensive or guilty about being white.  No, you are the one who said this has something to do with Trump.  I never said that at all because it has nothing to do with Trump and how I think about him as it relates to me.  I never said I have any problem with anyone pointing out white people have advantages. I do think I and others am resented by many of the left because of being white though.  That is just fact.  There are tons of examples and even books written by leftists all over the place about it. You still refuse to answer my question and that is very revealing.  You know it, but you refuse to admit that some on the left resent some people simply because of the color of their skin. 

36 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I'm not in the least bit defensive or guilty about being white. Then just sensitive about not being liked by some because you are.

No, you are the one who said this has something to do with Trump.  NOT TRUE. Go back an look. But it's not important. 

I never said that at all because it has nothing to do with Trump and how I think about him as it relates to me.  I never said I have any problem with anyone pointing out white people have advantages. But YOU did say what you said. :-\

I do think I and others am resented by many of the left because of being white though.  That is just fact.  SEE? You're sensitive to it. Otherwise you wouldn't writing about it.

There are tons of examples and even books written by leftists all over the place about it. Who cares? Not me!

You still refuse to answer my question and that is very revealing.  I told you why I didn't answer, but if you insist - and apparently you are -  yes there are people who don't like white people.  Yes, there are people who think you are privileged.  DUUUUUUH!  So whine about it.

Now, are you finally satisfied?

You know it, but you refuse to admit that some on the left resent some people simply because of the color of their skin. OK, I give up.  I refused to admit the obvious. :rolleyes:  You got me!  You scored!!! :nanner: 

You are one massive Tar Baby of an idiot.  Shame on me for kicking you. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Pointing out a fact isn’t being “sensitive” about it at all. And I am glad I finally got you to admit the left is the party of resentment. 

On 8/31/2020 at 8:22 PM, Brad_ATX said:

That's the betting market.  A little different animal than predictive analysis by Nate Silver which has the race 69/31 in favor of Biden to win.

Remember that the betting market moves based on who people think will win.  It's not different than a football line in that respect.  Well over half the country thinks Trump will win despite current polling showing him trailing.  Probably a lot of Democrats and Centrists who are still skittish based off of 2016.

And wingers who are not looking at data.

16 hours ago, SocialCircle said:

Pointing out a fact isn’t being “sensitive” about it at all. And I am glad I finally got you to admit the left is the party of resentment. 

Liar.  I didn't say that and you know it. 

There are white nationalist fascists in the right - lots of 'em.

So naturally - using your own logic - the right is the party or white nationalist fascism, right?

15 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Just sayin'!!!!! 🤷‍♂️ LMAO

giphy (3).gif

Haven't you heard of Br'er Rabbit?

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Haven't you heard of Br'er Rabbit?

I have, I also know it has been used towards African Americans before with a negative connotation. I knew what he meant by it.............and since Social is white it is no big deal, but I remember something awhile back on here that was said in a similar situation and it happened to be a response to African American and it turned into a crap storm. If I really thought he was meaning in a racial way, the response wouldn't have been with jokingly with a gif.

8 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I have, I also know it has been used towards African Americans before with a negative connotation

That's really stretching it. I have seen people react badly because it sounds like a slur.

8 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

. I knew what he meant by it.............and since Social is white it is no big deal, but I remember something awhile back on here that was said in a similar situation and it happened to be a response to African American and it turned into a crap storm. 

You're welcome to link that and we can discuss.

If you're trolling Homer, this is the wrong forum for that. You know what he meant.

12 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That's really stretching it. I have seen people react badly because it sounds like a slur.

You're welcome to link that and we can discuss.

If you're trolling Homer, this is the wrong forum for that. You know what he meant.

The original post was poking at him.....but my bad wrong forum......wasn't paying attention. 

But it is not a stretch to say it is a slur. I have seen it used as a slur and many take it that way in today's society. Here is a link for you:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/05/11/527459106/tar-baby-a-folktale-about-food-rights-rooted-in-the-inequalities-of-slavery

"Today, the term "tar baby" is interpreted by many as a racial slur, and politicians have gotten in trouble for using it. But in its original context, it was a metaphor for a sticky situation that got worse the more one tangled with it"

Here is the link they refer to if the above doesn't work.. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2014/11/10/politicians-should-stop-using-the-phrase-tar-baby-like-now/

30 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I'm with WDE here.  I've heard many people use that term as a slur during conversation.  I've got some redneck ass family members back in Alabama.  Trust me, they weren't using it as a line from a story.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm with WDE here.  I've heard many people use that term as a slur during conversation.  I've got some redneck ass family members back in Alabama.  Trust me, they weren't using it as a line from a story.

I know it can be used as a slur, and as such - to avoid confusion and unintended offense - I no longer use the term myself.  But there is a historical (and quite vividly apt) use of the term that predates any racial connotations, which I believe is what homer was doing here.  I actually hate that it's been tainted the way it has because it's one of the best descriptions for making a problem monumentally worse by continuing to wrestle with it ever conceived.

4 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I have, I also know it has been used towards African Americans before with a negative connotation. I knew what he meant by it.............and since Social is white it is no big deal, but I remember something awhile back on here that was said in a similar situation and it happened to be a response to African American and it turned into a crap storm. If I really thought he was meaning in a racial way, the response wouldn't have been with jokingly with a gif.

If that's the case, then you are obviously a self-identified, s***-posting troll, which is why I generally ignore you. <_<

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I know it can be used as a slur, and as such - to avoid confusion and unintended offense - I no longer use the term myself.  But there is a historical (and quite vividly apt) use of the term that predates any racial connotations, which I believe is what homer was doing here.  I actually hate that it's been tainted the way it has because it's one of the best descriptions for making a problem monumentally worse by continuing to wrestle with it ever conceived.

:thumbsup:  It evokes such a great mental image.  (I've got virtual tar all over me.)

I thought the "shame on me for kicking you" was a clear tip-off I was referring to the folk tale.  The possibility someone would consider "tar baby" racist - much less accuse me of using a racist statement - never even occurred to me.  I guess I am just old and naive.

And when you get down to it, the term is not inherently racist at all, unless you consider the entire literature of Uncle Remus to be racist (which I think is going a little overboard.)  "Tar baby" didn't refer to a black baby, it referred to a Tar baby, literally. Turning that into a racist meme is immature and literally ignorant.

These are folk tales.  Maybe acting them out in blackface and dialogue would be racist, but we shouldn't eliminate the very basis of a good folk tale, which is exactly what banning the idea of a tar baby would do in this case. 

"Bubble gum baby" or "rubber glue baby" just don't work. ;D

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

And that's the difference between them and me. ;)

Archived