Now a coin flip

SocialCircle

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ho hum, yet another hit piece. What's different about this? Russia, Ukraine, on and on. All I took away from yesterday's news was Bungling Biden saying Trump cost 200,000 American lives. As though Biden, who has not had one timely suggestion saying what he'd have done differently could have done as well as Trump.  Biden called the ban travel to/from China xenophobic, which means he wouldn't have done anything back then. Hypocrite much, Joe?

Hit piece?  TRUMP IS ON TAPE!  He willingly took part in the interviews 18 times.  There's no hearsay involved or anonymous sources.

Damn some of you will follow this man without questioning a thing.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

🙄

He didn't downplay anything.  The American people knew how serious the bombing of Pearl Harbor was.  FDR didn't gaslight and say that the bombing was only minor damage, a mere nick.  He simply said that we would not resign ourselves to fearing the enemy.

Good grief, man, take a beat and think before posting this horse****.

So the fear itself line came from his 1933 inauguration.  He was speaking directly about the Great Depression.

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm taking this out of context and making a different point, and I don't expect you to ride with me here, but trump supporters really need to think about the second part of that sentence when evaluating any announcement of the first.

Imagine trump announcing a vaccine in, say, late October, and then just believing that there in fact exists a safe, reliably-tested vaccine. Will you ask for any details? Like, is it a vaccine that will actually get manufactured and distributed to everyone who needs it at a cost that they can afford (read: free)? What will be your assurances? Do you really want to vote on that?

That's the thing about all the lying, folks. It's not just a thing that he has done a lot of. It's what he is.

Oh you're 100% spot on.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So the fear itself line came from his 1933 inauguration.  He was speaking directly about the Great Depression.

Sorry, got my historic events crossed.  When he responded to your Churchill comment about the war with the FDR comparison, I ran in that direction.

That said, the gist of what I said still applies.  No one was under any illusion that the Great Depression was a mere blip of an economic downturn and FDR didn't treat it that way.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

A guy has tapes with the President clearly stating that he knows and believes one thing about a global pandemic while he's having daily press conferences blatantly lying and saying almost the total opposite, partly resulting in our country being among the worst in handling the situation and seeing far more infections and deaths than anywhere else, and you just think it's "another hit piece?"

How long do you have to lie to yourself before you have faith this strong in something?  To quote Jesus, “I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith.”

I know what he has. I also know why President Trump down-played the situation, as do you. As it was we had a toilet paper panic. If Trump calmed the situation down, that was a great thing to do.

As far as the United States mis-handling the situation, that depends on whose stats you believe. Then there's the fact that President Trump didn't cause the governors of New York and other similar states to force virus-positive patients back into nursing homes while nearby federally provided hospital units were standing vacant.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

I know what he has. I also know why President Trump down-played the situation, as do you.

No, I know why he downplayed and you clearly do not.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

As it was we had a toilet paper panic. If Trump calmed the situation down, that was a great thing to do.

We didn't have a toilet paper panic when he was making those comments.  He didn't calm down anything.

6 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hit piece?  TRUMP IS ON TAPE!  He willingly took part in the interviews 18 times.  There's no hearsay involved or anonymous sources.

Damn some of you will follow this man without questioning a thing.

A writer can slant his book in any fashion he chooses, so yes it's a hit piece. What's Woodward's conclusion? (paraphrased)"Trump isn't competent to hold the office". So the book is an opinion piece, and slanted that way.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

A writer can slant his book in any fashion he chooses, so yes it's a hit piece. What's Woodward's conclusion? (paraphrased)"Trump isn't competent to hold the office". So the book is an opinion piece, and slanted that way.

I care not about Woodward's commentary.  Frankly no one is reacting to that.  We're all discussing what is on tape.

50 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/28/trump-south-carolina-rally-coronavirus-118269

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-calls-coronavirus-democrats-new-hoax-n1145721

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/28/trump-says-the-coronavirus-is-the-democrats-new-hoax.html

Even if you try to squint and dismiss this as a misinterpretation, I could produce volumes of other quotes of him downplaying, minimizing, lying, making insanely inaccurate predictions, saying it's no worse than the flu and so on.  You can play this idiotic game where you try to harp on some meaningless nuance to dismiss the larger point, but no one's buying.

Fauci is on record saying Trump has done a good job as it relates to this virus.  I agree he downplayed it as did DeBlasio, Pelosi, etc... And Biden disagreed with the China travel ban before he agreed with it....kind of like his mask mandate.   I also think Trump will make sure we get a vaccine out as fast or faster than anyone else. If the vaccine comes out before the election and it works, then pretty much everything that happened on both sides will largely be forgotten. This administration has already done a great job of putting things in place to get the vaccine to the public as quickly as humanly possible once it is released.  I suspect Trump will take the vaccine live on TV as well to lead by example.    

36 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No, I know why he downplayed and you clearly do not.

We didn't have a toilet paper panic when he was making those comments.  He didn't calm down anything.

This is impossible for you to know.  Sounding alarm bells could have caused food shortages and other things to happen.  We will never know, because he elected not to do so.  

1 hour ago, SocialCircle said:

FDR downplayed it by saying all we have to fear is fear itself. And it is recorded. Trump has publicly said he considers himself our national cheerleader. I don’t think this will be what many base their vote on. And if a vaccine comes out I believe this will be forgotten and will help Trump as it relates to the election. 

That's one of the most idiotic posts I have seen on here, which is saying a lot. :no:

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's one of the most idiotic posts I have seen on here, which is saying a lot. :no:

It is a very good example of a president "downplaying" something in order not to cause panic.  

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I know what he has. I also know why President Trump down-played the situation, as do you. As it was we had a toilet paper panic. If Trump calmed the situation down, that was a great thing to do.

As far as the United States mis-handling the situation, that depends on whose stats you believe. Then there's the fact that President Trump didn't cause the governors of New York and other similar states to force virus-positive patients back into nursing homes while nearby federally provided hospital units were standing vacant.

The entire ******* world recognizes we miss-handled the pandemic Mikey.  No amount of statistics can obscure that.

And piling on any given governor just underlines the fact we never had a coordinated Federal effort to address the pandemic nationally.  Still don't for that matter.

5 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

It is a very good example of a president "downplaying" something in order not to cause panic.  

No it's not.  It was an eloquent uplifting way of addressing the actual reality, something which didn't even occur to Trump, who simply lied, and kept lying.

You should be ashamed of making such a comparison. :no:

53 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's not a slanted book that's at issue here, Mikey.  There are literally RECORDINGS of Trump's own words in response to questions.  No interpretations needed.

11 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The last 24 hours have been a doozy. It's like the downward spiral is accelerating as we get closer to November. 

slim pickens gifs | WiffleGif

49 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

No it's not.  Go read my reply and understand the speech.  He didn't downplay a damn thing.  He addressed the issue head on.

What kind of example of downplaying and not causing a panic is this? Notice the time stamp. Folks, if you're still cozying up to somebody this full of s***, it means that you just like the smell. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

FDR didn't downplay anything.  I still don't understand how you play even a small role in education for being so damn uneducated.  Literally from that same speech just before the fear itself line:

"I am certain that my fellow Americans expect that on my induction into the Presidency I will address them with a candor and a decision which the present situation of our people impel.  This is preeminently the time to speak the truth, the whole truth, frankly and boldly..  Nor need we shrink from honestly facing conditions in our country today."

And directly after the fear line:

"In every dark hour of our national life a leadership of frankness and vigor has met with that understanding and support of the people themselves which is essential to victory."

Next paragraph:

"In such a spirit on my part and yours we face our common difficulties.  They concern, thank God, only material things.  Values have shrunken to fantastic levels; taxes have risen; our ability to pay has fallen; government of all kinds is faced by serious curtailment of income; the means of exchange are frozen in the currents of trade; the withered leaves of industrial enterprise lie on every side; farmers find no markets for their produce; the savings of many years in thousands of families are gone."

Imagine if Trump had said we have nothing to fear but fear itself at any point when talking about the virus. It would be an impeachable offense to some of you. So he didn’t come out with his hair on fire in hopes of not panicking the public about the virus. This is just another in a long line of attempts to derail Trump and it will not working in the long run either. 

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No it's not.  Go read my reply and understand the speech.  He didn't downplay a damn thing.  He addressed the issue head on.

The very quote I provided downplayed it. 

19 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

The very quote I provided downplayed it. 

Only if you ignore everything else said in the same speech.

FDR did not misrepresent the seriousness of the Great Depression.  Here's a link to the full speech.  I'll give some quotes to demonstrate how FDR specifically did not downplay the severity of the depression we were in.

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/froos1.asp

In such a spirit on my part and on yours we face our common difficulties. They concern, thank God, only material things. Values have shrunken to fantastic levels; taxes have risen; our ability to pay has fallen; government of all kinds is faced by serious curtailment of income; the means of exchange are frozen in the currents of trade; the withered leaves of industrial enterprise lie on every side; farmers find no markets for their produce; the savings of many years in thousands of families are gone. 

More important, a host of unemployed citizens face the grim problem of existence, and an equally great number toil with little return. Only a foolish optimist can deny the dark realities of the moment.

Our greatest primary task is to put people to work. This is no unsolvable problem if we face it wisely and courageously. It can be accomplished in part by direct recruiting by the Government itself, treating the task as we would treat the emergency of a war, but at the same time, through this employment, accomplishing greatly needed projects to stimulate and reorganize the use of our natural resources. 

Hand in hand with this we must frankly recognize the overbalance of population in our industrial centers and, by engaging on a national scale in a redistribution, endeavor to provide a better use of the land for those best fitted for the land. The task can be helped by definite efforts to raise the values of agricultural products and with this the power to purchase the output of our cities. It can be helped by preventing realistically the tragedy of the growing loss through foreclosure of our small homes and our farms. It can be helped by insistence that the Federal, State, and local governments act forthwith on the demand that their cost be drastically reduced. It can be helped by the unifying of relief activities which today are often scattered, uneconomical, and unequal. It can be helped by national planning for and supervision of all forms of transportation and of communications and other utilities which have a definitely public character. There are many ways in which it can be helped, but it can never be helped merely by talking about it. We must act and act quickly.

I mean, honestly the entire speech is a forthright acknowledgement of the dire situation we were in and an honest assessment that it's going to take some hard work on the part of the government and a great deal of sacrifice for each other from the American people to fix it.  He uses terms like "emergency" and "war."  Far from saying it's nothing to worry about, he communicates that it requires a sense of urgency and immediacy - that it will require courage and that we can't just talk about it but that "we must act and act quickly."

But he doesn't do so with doom and gloom and predictions of failure.  He believes we'll come out on the other side of this - that this is a problem that can be fixed.

Your simplistic comparison of FDR to Trump here reveals that you're confused about the difference in optimism and downplaying.  It's a lack of understanding between offering hope in the midst of an admitted hard road vs giving glib, Pollyanna-ish lies about the seriousness of the problem in the first place.

Grow the **** up.

Archived