Outcome vs. Ole Miss Relevancy

Amwest20

Am I the only one who’s putting a lot of stock in the outcome of this game ultimately determining the direction of this program will go in the future with the coach?  I just sense that the effect of the outcome will be drastic one way or the other.

We win: team chemistry starts building, morale boosts, confidence grows, etc.

We lose: The excrement will come in contact with the blade of the running fan.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are exactly right. 
This is a key game. 

I expect to see “seat on fire” Gus this weekend. For whatever reason the guy is at his best only once his job is on the line.  I expect a coherent game plan, player discipline and a solid victory.

We’ve seen Gus do this time after time.  His job is on the line so I expect he will go on a tear and only lose to Bama.  That will be followed by a disappointing bowl loss.  It’s just what he does.  We will then repeat the same cycle next year.

He’s somehow able to do the minimum to retain his job every single year.  It’s infuriating but inevitable  

7 minutes ago, BurtonJ20 said:

I think you are exactly right. 
This is a key game. 

I expect to see “seat on fire” Gus this weekend. For whatever reason the guy is at his best only once his job is on the line.  I expect a coherent game plan, player discipline and a solid victory.

We’ve seen Gus do this time after time.  His job is on the line so I expect he will go on a tear and only lose to Bama.  That will be followed by a disappointing bowl loss.  It’s just what he does.  We will then repeat the same cycle next year.

He’s somehow able to do the minimum to retain his job every single year.  It’s infuriating but inevitable  

I can’t argue with ya there.  That’s very similar to how I see everything unfolding.... if we win Saturday that is.

50 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

Am I the only one who’s putting a lot of stock in the outcome of this game ultimately determining the direction of this program will go in the future with the coach?  I just sense that the effect of the outcome will be drastic one way or the other.

We loose: The excrement will come in contact with the blade of the running fan.

I passed that milestone a couple of years ago...

Nope- I have a feeling this is the year that stops. What we saw Saturday was rare for a Gus team- infighting and backtalking, lack of team cohesion- along with no clear identity on offense. It doesn't help that Coach Morris has an incredibly difficult offense to learn and it's become very hard to focus on the task at hand this year, for everyone (because of COVID19) , let alone to learn a new offense with minimal live practice reps. So I think it's all a recipe for disaster. 

Gus usually gets these streaks going against inferior to equal talent and mostly inferior coaching, but at the very least we know who we are and have figured out our strengths in those years.

This is the year he meets a competent coaching opponent that starts the final derail, which ultimately concludes with a beat down in the iron bowl and no bowl game.

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Nope- I have a feeling this is the year that stops. What we saw Saturday was rare for a Gus team- infighting and backtalking, lack of team cohesion- along with no clear identity on offense. It doesn't help that Coach Morris has an incredibly difficult offense to learn and it's become very hard to focus on the task at hand this year, for everyone (because of COVID19) , let alone to learn a new offense with minimal live practice reps. So I think it's all a recipe for disaster. 

Gus usually gets these streaks going against inferior to equal talent and mostly inferior coaching, but at the very least we know who we are and have figured out our strengths in those years.

This is the year he meets a competent coaching opponent that starts the final derail, which ultimately concludes with a beat down in the iron bowl and no bowl game.

Ouch!  Surely we can find our groove this weekend.  

Gus has had a short leash going on 5 years but he & his hires are good at being at their best when things seem lowest. Gus Derangement Syndrome is strong enough in some, er, fans to belittle any win but it won't be shocking IMO if the O comes together against this OM squad.

No I won't give him an easy out of saying well you beat ole miss everything is going to be alright......he better beat ole miss but he has much MUCH more to do

It's Ole Miss with a first year coaching staff. It might start a winning streak against the 2nd tier teams. Will that make Auburn the second tier SEC champions? Guess that depends on South Carolina. Is those the season results that are really going to please some, err, fans? Sure the LBS people. They still living high off last years 9-4 team. 

I believe this game will depend on how well the defense plays, without us turning the ball over on offense. If the defense can keep Ole Miss under 30-35 points I believe we win. 

2 hours ago, Amwest20 said:

We loose: The excrement will come in contact with the blade of the running fan.

Gus is gone regardless (matter of when). A loss just speeds up the urgency a little.

A win means absolutely nothing at this point. We've beaten a team that already made Ole Miss look stupid. Not much to gain here.

A loss (lose by the way not loose like you're in a shirt that's too big). I think the poop hit the fan already and we've been sitting in it waiting on the wondrous Yella Feller to bless us with the rains of a buyout and new hire.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Gus is gone regardless (matter of when). A loss just speeds up the urgency a little.

A win means absolutely nothing at this point. We've beaten a team that already made Ole Miss look stupid. Not much to gain here.

A loss (lose by the way not loose like you're in a shirt that's too big). I think the poop hit the fan already and we've been sitting in it waiting on the wondrous Yella Feller to bless us with the rains of a buyout and new hire.

Thanks for the spell check.

But no, a win means more than you let on like it does as I originally stated.  I mean it doesn’t save him or the season by any stretch.

You did mention we beat a team that made Ole Miss look stupid.  Fair.

I’ll throw in a side fact that Ole Miss made Bama’s defense look stupid.  

6 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

Thanks for the spell check.

But no, a win means more than you let on like it does as I originally stated.  I mean it doesn’t save him or the season by any stretch.

You did mention we beat a team that made Ole Miss look stupid.  Fair.

I’ll throw in a side fact that Ole Miss made Bama’s defense look stupid.  

There is some weird witchcraft where Alabama oddly struggles with Ole Miss every other year

30 minutes ago, creed said:

I believe this game will depend on how well the defense plays, without us turning the ball over on offense. If the defense can keep Ole Miss under 30-35 points I believe we win. 

I have to disagree. I think this is mostly on our offense. If it sputters and has to kick FGs in the RZ we will lose. If Bo turns the ball over at the pace of the USC game we will lose.

THe D just has to create a few stops each half to give the offense more drives than OM does, and we can win.

But it's on the offense to me...

I don't want a coach at Auburn that has to have his back to the wall to be motivated to win a game. If he's not motivated to win every game he needs to go. A win against Ole Miss doesn't buy him time in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I have to disagree. I think this is mostly on our offense. If it sputters and has to kick FGs in the RZ we will lose. If Bo turns the ball over at the pace of the USC game we will lose.

THe D just has to create a few stops each half to give the offense more drives than OM does, and we can win.

But it's on the offense to me...

That's the way I see it also. It's on the O to  control the ball and keep it out of Ole Miss's hands. If not, look for Kiff to absolutely light up Auburn's D. I believe that Miss. had a let down on O against Arky after lighting up bama's D. Kiff will have them ready Saturday. Plus they are at home, and that's gonna be a long Gus-bus ride home afterwards...Leonard's loser's pick: Auburn.

39 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Nah. If a win against Ole Miss saves your job then you're basically already cooked IMO

This. The fact that this thread exists says everything that needs to be said about Gus’ tenure and what needs to be done, sooner rather than later

54 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Nah. If a win against Ole Miss saves your job then you're basically already cooked IMO

Man, that is absolutely true.  Sure thing, beating Ole Miss would be a crowning achievement for Gus...an enormous signature win.  

34 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I don't want a coach at Auburn that has to have his back to the wall to be motivated to win a game. If he's not motivated to win every game he needs to go. A win against Ole Miss doesn't buy him time in my opinion. 

BTW

To be clear I feel the same way. 
I have NEVER been a Gus fan and have been very vocal that he was a terrible hire IMO

I still don’t want him as HC at AU and it’s undeniable that he doesn’t seem motivated unless his back is against the wall. 

However, I fear Gus will do what he always does and win just enough to survive.  The buyout, while possible to pay, is a hindrance to firing him. Nobody wants to throw money away unless it’s unavoidable. Especially if he were to end the season 7-3 or even 6-4 with an all SEC schedule when his SEC record last year was 5-3 w/out having COVID as an excuse. 

A win streak seems unlikely but we’ve seen Gus do this over and over. 

1 minute ago, BurtonJ20 said:

BTW

To be clear I feel the same way. 
I have NEVER been a Gus fan and have been very vocal that he was a terrible hire IMO

I still don’t want him as HC at AU and it’s undeniable that he doesn’t seem motivated unless his back is against the wall. 

However, I fear Gus will do what he always does and win just enough to survive.  The buyout, while possible to pay, is a hindrance to firing him. Nobody wants to throw money away unless it’s unavoidable. Especially if he were to end the season 7-3 or even 6-4 with an all SEC schedule when his SEC record last year was 5-3 w/out having COVID as an excuse. 

A win streak seems unlikely but we’ve seen Gus do this over and over. 

Look at this guy spittin out facts.  

I believe he has a lot more to lose than he has to gain because he is expected to beat Ole Miss.  Lose and it’s going to get ugly to the point that he might not make it through the season.  In fact, he has 4 very winnable games coming up before facing Bammer and A&M at the end of the year.  I think he better win those 4 to get the heat off because his odds of beating Bammer are very, very slim.  Then they will have to play well to beat A&M, which will be tough after getting blown out the weekend before.

This is definitely a season maker.  If Auburn can win then there are two very winnable games and an off week before Tennessee.  Winning can cure a lot of the fighting and finger pointing.  If Auburn losses and it’s a bad loss watch out.  You may start seeing people opt out

3 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Totally agreed. Even with Tank, I think there is zero leadership on offense and the injuries/lack of talent on defense will not be suitable insurance for Gus this year. The problems lie in the talent, schemes, and leadership. It’s a bad combo. Ole Miss can’t stop anyone, but they have a coach who can exploit you and Gus can be exploited 10 fold because he refuses to change. 

They lose tomorrow and the wheels come off. Depending on how it goes this could be Seth Williams’ last game. Why would he stick around for this circus? He’s a first rounder. No sources just total speculation but it seems like something that would happen. 

Gus has taken the joy of being an Auburn Fan these past few years. I used to watch football games standing up because I was too excited, and too nervous to sit down and feeling we had a chance or should win every game we play. Now, I just sit up in my bed and wait for the debacle to happen. The anxiousness is gone, the excitement is gone, and the anticipation is gone. Gus has completely sucked the oxygen out of me as an Auburn Fan. I despise him for that! I fear we Will not get back to the glory days until Gus is gone. I look for us to lose this week, and look bad doing it.

Archived