Outcome vs. Ole Miss Relevancy

Amwest20

3 hours ago, Amwest20 said:

Thanks for the spell check.

But no, a win means more than you let on like it does as I originally stated.  I mean it doesn’t save him or the season by any stretch.

You did mention we beat a team that made Ole Miss look stupid.  Fair.

I’ll throw in a side fact that Ole Miss made Bama’s defense look stupid.  

They did affect Bamas D, but unlike AU, Bama had corrected things and nobody in the sec will come close to doing that to their D again this year. Football is 2 halves and it’s all about adjusting to what the other side had taken away. I worry about our O not our D, because Steele is the best coach on the team and that includes our lame duck pop warner league HC. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Gus has taken the joy of being an Auburn Fan these past few years. I used to watch football games standing up because I was too excited, and too nervous to sit down and feeling we had a chance or should win every game we play. Now, I just sit up in my bed and wait for the debacle to happen. The anxiousness is gone, the excitement is gone, and the anticipation is gone. Gus has completely sucked the oxygen out of me as an Auburn Fan. I despise him for that! I fear we Will not get back to the glory days until Gus is gone. I look for us to lose this week, and look bad doing it.

His life has gotta suck^ 

37 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:
1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Gus has taken the joy of being an Auburn Fan these past few years. I used to watch football games standing up because I was too excited, and too nervous to sit down and feeling we had a chance or should win every game we play. Now, I just sit up in my bed and wait for the debacle to happen. The anxiousness is gone, the excitement is gone, and the anticipation is gone. Gus has completely sucked the oxygen out of me as an Auburn Fan. I despise him for that! I fear we Will not get back to the glory days until Gus is gone. I look for us to lose this week, and look bad doing it.

Expand  

His life has gotta suck^ 

Maybe so, but this description probably is apt for a large percentage of the fan base at this point (except for the sitting up in bed part, lol)

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Totally agreed. Even with Tank, I think there is zero leadership on offense and the injuries/lack of talent on defense will not be suitable insurance for Gus this year. The problems lie in the talent, schemes, and leadership. It’s a bad combo. Ole Miss can’t stop anyone, but they have a coach who can exploit you and Gus can be exploited 10 fold because he refuses to change. 

They lose tomorrow and the wheels come off. Depending on how it goes this could be Seth Williams’ last game. Why would he stick around for this circus? He’s a first rounder. No sources just total speculation but it seems like something that would happen. 

Gameplan is going to be to run it down their throat (as it should be) We stick to that and we will win.

A loss tomorrow and Gus’s fate is sealed IMO.  He will have lost the team and support of anyone he has left  

-I’m not trying to pick a fight but Seth isn’t a first or second rounder this year.  (Strictly IMO) He lacks top end speed and he is very inconsistent (especially against top defensive talent).  He’s great on 50/50 balls, extremely athletic and an all time AU WR but I fear he’s not at the level he thinks he is BUT...I’m not sure what he’d get by coming back if Kodi and this offensive scheme are still here.  Our WR aren’t being coached at a high level.  Just compare and contrast the way Bama and other WR meet the ball when it’s headed their way.  We stand around and wait on it.  There are numerous other examples.

We have several players on our team that think they are locks to be selected in the first three rounds that could leave early.  They aren’t. The only one that wouldn’t regret a decision to leave early is Sherwood.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Maybe so, but this description probably is apt for a large percentage of the fan base at this point (except for the sitting up in bed part, lol)

I watch TV in the comfort of my bed. I guess that's weird to some people.😁

39 minutes ago, BurtonJ20 said:

Gameplan is going to be to run it down their throat (as it should be) We stick to that and we will win.

A loss tomorrow and Gus’s fate is sealed IMO.  He will have lost the team and support of anyone he has left  

-I’m not trying to pick a fight but Seth isn’t a first or second rounder this year.  (Strictly IMO) He lacks top end speed and he is very inconsistent (especially against top defensive talent).  He’s great on 50/50 balls, extremely athletic and an all time AU WR but I fear he’s not at the level he thinks he is BUT...I’m not sure what he’d get by coming back if Kodi and this offensive scheme are still here.  Our WR aren’t being coached at a high level.  Just compare and contrast the way Bama and other WR meet the ball when it’s headed their way.  We stand around and wait on it.  There are numerous other examples.

We have several players on our team that think they are locks to be selected in the first three rounds that could leave early.  They aren’t. The only one that wouldn’t regret a decision to leave early is Sherwood.

This guy knows what time it is guys... Seth MIGHT be a second rounder though.  

4 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Ain’t that the truth. I want Gus to be crazy successful. Right now we need to worry about Auburn’s relevancy 

5 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I'm so apathetic about Gusball that I'm going to play golf tomorrow. That's just something I don't usually do when Auburn is playing football. I'll admit I have stayed home to watch several times in the last few years because it's hard to look away from a train wreck. Not this time. 

I seriously can’t believe that we are having this discussion. So Ole Miss with a first year coach is our barometer now? It’s been said many times before...but damn. 

To answer the OP, all wins are not created equal. The suggestion that we “win” and everything just magically becomes better is a fallacy. Anything short of absolute domination on both sides of the ball is going to be met with skepticism from a lot of fans. As it should. Gus has shown his true colors and tendencies to us over and over again. Just because some folks refuse to see it doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

It’s year 8. And yes, I know that has been said before, but dammit it bears repeating. I’m sick and tired of all of it. 

The thing is, if we lose tomorrow it will be because the team has checked out. We should not lose to this Ole Miss team.

In that case, then Gus must go.

Now if we do win, we'll have to be more nuanced. An ugly win could mean anything but a dominant win would should more control over the as a head coach which would give me the hope that we can build and compete the rest of the year.

I agree with you. The Ole Miss is the watershed moment for this season and potentially Gus Malzahn's tenure at Auburn.

IMO if the Ole Miss team that played bama shows up today, we will lose.  We will probably have a lot of yards, but, in typical Gus fashion, bog down in the red zone and have to kick FGs. 

22 hours ago, BurtonJ20 said:

We’ve seen Gus do this time after time.  His job is on the line so I expect he will go on a tear and only lose to Bama.  That will be followed by a disappointing bowl loss.  It’s just what he does.  We will then repeat the same cycle next year.

This would be the worst thing in long term that could happen to our program....but I have a sneaky suspicion it will happen as well, despite how bad we have been. Hot seat Gus.

If he pulls that crap off this season....We need to renegotiate his contract and keep him on a game by game basis. I dont care if we pay him the equivalency of 15 mil a year but its on a game by game basis. He should be coaching for his job every game.

I know that's not going to happen I am just ranting...I do think that would be the thing to get Gus over his hump lol. 

Question for people with better memories than mine. In 2013 and 2014...With Nick Marshall...Were we still bad in the red zone? 

It seems like we have always struggled in the red zone with Gus. Did we scored more on big plays in 2013 and 2014? 

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Question for people with better memories than mine. In 2013 and 2014...With Nick Marshall...Were we still bad in the red zone? 

It seems like we have always struggled in the red zone with Gus. Did we scored more on big plays in 2013 and 2014? 

'13 no. '14 yes. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ironbowl comes to mind

Thats what I was thinking about. Nick scored on a long run in 2013. Then the pass to Sammy was a big play. I think this problem has existed throughout his tenure, but is covered up when we can make big plays. I would rather have an offense that can put a drive together of 20 plays getting 3 yards a pop and scoring, than a big play offense that can't score inside the 20 any day of the week.

I am holding off on the fire gus mentality until 8 see more of where this team is headed. If Nix dramatically improves. The line on both sides improve and look solid for next year then I will be happy to see what Gus brings for a 2021 season. If not he needs to be let go at season ends. I'm eager to see whether there is progression in this game

19 hours ago, weagl1 said:

In fact, he has 4 very winnable games coming up before facing Bammer and A&M at the end of the year.

I don't see any right now that I would consider "very winnable". Toss up is the furthest I could say. 

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't see any right now that I would consider "very winnable". Toss up is the furthest I could say. 

Wasn’t USCe very winnable? You would think ppl would’ve learned by now 

Archived