Election Day

AUDub

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My place opened at 7. I got there at 6. Was about 12th in line and was out of there by 7:20, which included a computer delay. Brought a chair and cup of coffee. It was cold but not bad. Folks were calm and pleasant. The conversation in front of me was equal parts entertaining and alarming. Definitely helped pass the time.

About 45 minutes from start to finish. Mostly quite. Location was right off a major highway and only one scream of “Trump Train 2020” passing by. So I’ll call it a good experience.

I voted absentee.  My ballot has been accepted (you can check the status via the AL Secretary of State website).  Glad I didn't have to brave the crowds.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I voted absentee.  My ballot has been accepted (you can check the status via the AL Secretary of State website).  Glad I didn't have to brave the crowds.

Weren't bad at all at my polling station. 

Opened at 7:00. I arrived at 8:30. Waited through the line for 20 minutes. In and out. 

At my polling place now. Line is pretty extreme but the poll workers have got things moving at a good clip. I estimate 30-45 minutes. 

Wife and I got there @ 0700. What looked like a 1 hour line at my polling place was actually 2.5 hours thanks to the "cattle chutes" that i could not see under the canopy and inside. 

My district is still very much scarily lopsided. 

12/16 offices unopposed. The two judgeships? They are certainly going to go Republican. So, effectively 14/16 are unopposed or lopsided Republican Wins. 

Only Presidency and Senate Seat are in play. If that doesnt scare you, then nothing will. Mo Brooks? Unopposed...

Afterthought: All these people voting, supposedly more than last time.  Reports say nationwide that it is Millenials and Gen Xers. Observation at my polling station was seriously far more older people in the crowd, and more Blacks and Latinos. What does that mean? I know what the talking heads say it means, I will compare my polling area, SW Decatur, to other elections later on. 

2797BE47-1606-47F3-A9F3-301983198E35.jpeg

Ended up taking an hour, and the line was way worse on my way out the door. Some people going to be waiting 2 to 3 hours here soon. 

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I voted early two days before the deadline. In and out in 5 minutes. The week prior the location had lines wrapped around the building. I’m glad I went when I did. 

Went last Tuesday at about 3:30...no line at all.

Won't be voting on Election Day proper ever again as long as early voting is an option.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Voted two weeks ago.  Took 5 minutes.  Waiting until election day is for suckers unless you have no other option.

I wish Alabama had early voting.  That said, absentee voting went pretty smoothly, especially for it being my first time.  If I do it again in the future, I'll know exactly what to do and it would be even easier.

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Voted two weeks ago.  Took 5 minutes.  Waiting until election day is for suckers unless you have no other option.

No other option here, but early voting was just as bad in my area. My wife tried 3 times and it was at least an hour each time. She went a little after 8:00 this morning and was on site for 20 minutes.

The varying experiences are definitely interesting. 

While I'll not do it again if I don't have to, I do understand wanting the "game day experience" of voting on Election Day, as it feels a bit more immediate...was the first person to vote at a location on Election Day in 1996 (a Methodist church in College Station). Old butterfly ballot...hopefully those are no longer in use anywhere.

15 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

While I'll not do it again if I don't have to, I do understand wanting the "game day experience" of voting on Election Day, as it feels a bit more immediate...was the first person to vote at a location on Election Day in 1996 (a Methodist church in College Station). Old butterfly ballot...hopefully those are no longer in use anywhere.

It's good to see the neighbors. 

There's some noise one Twitter that Penn may not be going well for Trump. Huge grain of salt. 

My dad went to the same polling place as me a little after I did. 2 hours. 

Archived