Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

7 minutes ago, TD1 said:

Buford Highway is my favorite place to take guests that are in town. Snackboxe Bistro, in Doraville, is one of the favorites. They have some amazing Laotian food. 

Outta reactions but this gets a "love."

I remember a thread in the all things considered section, may need a Buford highway food thread. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Has it gotten to the point of the coaching search where people are starting to get angry with one another?

Looks that way...living on the edge🤣

I'll be damned if I listen to some clowns try to talk down to me and make hiring Steele ok. Gtfoh. I don't care if you have inside or outside information or connection or whatever

6 hours ago, DAG said:

3 weeks! 

Right6, right! I believe I mixed it up with the Moderna mRNA vaccine. How does it feel to be a bona-fide pioneer? And I assume that you work in clinical care; if so, thank you for everything you've been doing this year. From someone who is on the non-clinical side of the field. 🍻

Just now, bigbird said:

They're pretty fantastic too...most of them😁

I see that I've talked to a few of them who've asked me questions. They are pretty cool.  Do you remember how bad it got when tubs left? Nobody and I mean nobody saw Chiz coming 🤣 this is kinda reminding me of that lol 

Just now, autiger88 said:

I see that I've talked to a few of them who've asked me questions. They are pretty cool.  Do you remember how bad it got when tubs left? Nobody and I mean nobody saw Chiz coming 🤣 this is kinda reminding me of that lol 

That was rough...so was the hire

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Has it gotten to the point of the coaching search where people are starting to get angry with one another?

As soon as Steele's name was shoved in our face every hour of the day on sunday night on 247 it has been this way. Can't have fun with a coaching search when Kevin got damn Steele is a actual candidate. I am miserable. But all I need to feel a lot better is "sources" to say Kevin Steele is losing steam in his chances to become the next Auburn Head Coach and I will bounce back real quickly. I would take literally almost ANYONE besides Steele, Rhett or Chip Lindsey.

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Now, I am really scared

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Lol...right there with ya bud. I'm just trying to be patient until Fri night/Saturday. At least at that point whatever happens with Cristobal will be put to rest one way or another.  The lack of names like Napier, Fickell and others is weird IMO. I think that's why everyone is pissed when Steele is who the PR department trots out as their sacrificial lamb.

He still has to sign it. 

3 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

That definitely does not put this board at ease.

Hiring Steele is not we need if Auburn ever wants to where we were when Pat Dye was in charge. We had a solid football program under coach Dye.

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If we don't get Mario Christabol, why not offer Luke Fickell or Billy Napier.

A4E is smarter than our trustees lmfao

I ECHO THIS SENTIMENT SO SO SOOOO MUCH!!! I will also like to add I wish I could LOVE a Auburn football coach in my lifetime even HALF of what I love Bruce Pearl!!! But nahhhhhh all of our hires have been booty and not sexy. We cannot even win the press conference!!! lol. Raymond Harbert and Rane Man do not care about basketball and baseball and look how good our last 2 hires were for those sports without their meddling....... It would be nice to see who Allen Greene would actually hire and not having to bend at the will of our booster's. SMH.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

What has Gundy ever done to make you think he'd win at Auburn?  He's in a similar situation at OSU now.  Smaller school going against Big Brother.  And he constantly puts a mediocre product on the field.

This year the Big 12 was ripe for the taking.  His team crapped the bed.  The guy has won a bad conference once in 15 years.

Using your argument, then what would have made anyone think that Pat Dye or Terry Bowden would have succeeded at AU ?  They came from very small programs, far smaller than OSU and then launched AU onto another level.  Their success was modest before AU.  What made them different from Chizik and Malzahn was that they had hc experience at multiple schools.  Dye had 7 seasons at two schools, Bowden had 9 seasons at two schools.  Neither Chizik nor Malzahn had hc experience (no, 1 year at Arky St. isn't "experience") and that lack of experience was their downfall. 

If AU is to go forward successfully, then its next hc should have had experience as a hc for an extended period, hopefully at multiple schools.  Coordinators seem to be very iffy and should have experience as a hc at a smaller venue to prove their abilities.  Why would AU hire a coach without hc experience, especially after seeing the disastrous effects of not having such a coach ?

Gundy has had a long-term, consistent career as a hc.  He won his conference once, tied for #1 once and came in 2nd 4 times.  A far better record than Dye, Bowden or Tubbs. 

So, again I ask, what would have made anyone think that Dye, Bowden or Tubbs would have won as well as they did at AU given their records ?  The difference was having been a hc for an extended period of time.  Gundy has that experience in spades unlike any of the other candidates mentioned in this thread.

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Auburn fans this week

9ee346cfc45df06d-.gif

more like every week. Coop is still not eligible. Bruce is not immune to the Auburn curse that constantly haunts our school.

Archived