Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, guys. Not sure if this affects anything, but I just heard Briles resigned as head coach at his high school.

😝

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Third to last..wow 

ewrew.gif

14 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Using your argument, then what would have made anyone think that Pat Dye or Terry Bowden would have succeeded at AU ?  They came from very small programs, far smaller than OSU and then launched AU onto another level.  Their success was modest before AU.  What made them different from Chizik and Malzahn was that they had hc experience at multiple schools.  Dye had 7 seasons at two schools, Bowden had 9 seasons at two schools.  Neither Chizik nor Malzahn had hc experience (no, 1 year at Arky St. isn't "experience") and that lack of experience was their downfall. 

If AU is to go forward successfully, then its next hc should have had experience as a hc for an extended period, hopefully at multiple schools.  Coordinators seem to be very iffy and should have experience as a hc at a smaller venue to prove their abilities.  Why would AU hire a coach without hc experience, especially after seeing the disastrous effects of not having such a coach ?

Gundy has had a long-term, consistent career as a hc.  He won his conference once, tied for #1 once and came in 2nd 4 times.  A far better record than Dye, Bowden or Tubbs. 

So, again I ask, what would have made anyone think that Dye, Bowden or Tubbs would have won as well as they did at AU given their records ?  The difference was having been a hc for an extended period of time.  Gundy has that experience in spades unlike any of the other candidates mentioned in this thread.

Gundy's problem is his long track record of mediocrity.  I have 15 years of evidence.  With Dye, Bowden, or Tubs, you didn't have that long of a track record and could project more.

As for not hiring a coordinator, I give you Bob Stoops, Kirby Smart, and Dabo Swinney.  None were ever HCs before getting their gigs at Oklahoma, Georgia, or Clemson respectively.

There are tons of examples of guys with HC experience flaming out.  It's a bad reason to hire someone.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I feel you fam. SAME HERE!! We have been waiting on this for so long....... and OF COURSE it goes like this. The excitement of this search from me was lost already by Monday when 247 was going full force on double and tripling down on Steele. I have been one pissed off Barner ever since. I thought there is no way even AU could even screw this up with so many attractive attainable solid- pretty good candidates who would actually take the job. But nah brodie! AU found the 1 avenue to piss ALL of us off. Right?! Completely agree.

Seriously! The timing is so idiotic. Would have gone much smoother either halfway through the season or honestly even a month or so later.

Just now, Bo Didley said:

Well sir. . . 

3F17EF22-9B4F-48C6-BBD7-1971168F792F.jpeg

You are a troll GTFO with this knick knack paddywhack BS.

Just now, Leftfield said:

Hey, guys. Not sure if this affects anything, but I just heard Briles resigned as head coach at his high school.

Oh, you tryin' to start something now? 

Is Wade Christopher interested in coaching?

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Gubdy's problem is his long track record of mediocrity.  I have 15 years of evidence.  With Dye, Bowden, or Tubs, you didn't have that long of a track record and could project more.

As for not hiring a coordinator, I give you Bob Stoops, Kirby Smart, and Dani Swinney.  None were ever HCs before getting their gigs at Oklahoma, Georgia, or Clemson respectively.

There are tons of examples of guys with HC experience flaming out.  It's a bad reason to hire someone.

Yeah I'm so very tempted to go after BV. Clemson had just been obliterated by WV when he got there (guess who their DC was for that game?). OTOH it's very easy to remember the coordinators who flopped--2011 was when their offense started to get good, and that was the year Chad Morris was hired. Soooooo

2 hours ago, tigers23 said:

Don't disagree but beginning to feel anyone other than Steele will be a win at this point.

I have been out of the loop for more than a minute, what is hatred for Steele? 

Just now, TigersTalons said:

9-36 (1-31 Big 12) at Baylor.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

You are a troll GTFO with this knick knack paddywhack BS.

Not a troll at all. Just see the writing on the wall. I hope I’m wrong but hell why not have a little fun with the s*** show? 

2 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I remember all y’all from the old AE days. Seems like you used to comment on recruiting a lot back then. 

Yep we did all the time lol 

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

9-36 (1-31 Big 12) at Baylor.

The way I took it as it was something else as off the field issues. Thanks for the reply.

1 minute ago, TigersTalons said:

We need a complete overhaul of our program's culture and an injection of relentless youth to compete with rivals all enjoying peaks in their program.

A 100 year old DC from the previous regime is not the answer.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

There are a lot of conflicting opinions on T-Will out there. Hard to know what's true and what isn't. 

No one goes from position coach to SEC head coach lmao

Archived