The Mystery Candidate

AUght2win

Jay G. Tate has reported that there is an unexpected big name who has reached out to Auburn in regards to our HC opening. Jboy calls it an "earth shattering" name and "someone everybody knows, has won a lot, and is on the Mt. Rushmore of guys you think of as elite coaches."

So I figured it'd be fun for us to try and piece together who it could be. 

Clues:

- Tate said this candidate reached out to Auburn. Not vice versa.

- Tate's description of the impact on the search was along the lines of "AU didn't think he'd be available, and it's the type of guy where you drop everything to focus on him."

- Tate claims to not know who it is, but his guesses were Meyer, Stoops, and Kiffin.

- Tate references Stoops several times as "making sense" to him, and that Stoops has connections to AU. Unsure if this was JGT's way of saying who it is without saying.

- Tate also said he believes the window to hire the coach ISN'T an expiring one, which leads me to believe this coach is currently unemployed.

My guesses in no particular order:

Chris Petersen - a name with the level of clout that the mystery candidate apparently carries. Petersen has openly said he stepped down from UW to "recharge", and being in his mid 50s, I think it's safe to assume he'll coach again. 

Bob Stoops - I actually think this could happen. Bob has connections here. There was the famous flirtation from a couple years back. What is true is Bob has a clear desire to return to football. You've got to be addicted to the gridiron to take a job in the XFL. Now that the league has flat-lined, it'd make sense for him to reach out to AU - easily the best open job in America right now.

3. Urban Meyer - Competition is a hell of a drug. So is ego. Maybe he hasn't enjoyed the seemingly unanimous opinion that Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all-time, or even just our era. Maybe Meyer wants to be back in the best conference in the country, with a chance to directly fight for legacy supremacy with Saban?

Who are your guesses?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUght2win said:

Jay G. Tate has reported that there is an unexpected big name who has reached out to Auburn in regards to our HC opening. Jboy calls it an "earth shattering" name and "someone everybody knows, has won a lot, and is on the Mt. Rushmore of guys you think of as elite coaches."

So I figured it'd be fun for us to try and piece together who it could be. 

Clues:

- Tate said this candidate reached out to Auburn. Not vice versa.

- Tate's description of the impact on the search was along the lines of "AU didn't think he'd be available, and it's the type of guy where you drop everything to focus on him."

- Tate claims to not know who it is, but his guesses were Meyer, Stoops, and Kiffin.

- Tate references Stoops several times as "making sense" to him, and that Stoops has connections to AU. Unsure if this was JGT's way of saying who it is without saying.

- Tate also said he believes the window to hire the coach ISN'T an expiring one, which leads me to believe this coach is currently unemployed.

My guesses in no particular order:

Chris Petersen - a name with the level of clout that the mystery candidate apparently carries. Petersen has openly said he stepped down from UW to "recharge", and being in his mid 50s, I think it's safe to assume he'll coach again. 

Bob Stoops - I actually think this could happen. Bob has connections here. There was the famous flirtation from a couple years back. What is true is Bob has a clear desire to return to football. You've got to be addicted to the gridiron to take a job in the XFL. Now that the league has flat-lined, it'd make sense for him to reach out to AU - easily the best open job in America right now.

3. Urban Meyer - Competition is a hell of a drug. So is ego. Maybe he hasn't enjoyed the seemingly unanimous opinion that Nick Saban is the greatest coach of all-time, or even just our era. Maybe Meyer wants to be back in the best conference in the country, with a chance to directly fight for legacy supremacy with Saban?

Who are your guesses?

This all sounds like a load, but the Mt. Rushmore comment makes me think Urban is who they're talking about. Again, as someone said, I think they're just trying to get clicks.

I don't have Bob on my Mt. Rushmore honestly. Peterson I could see, but from all accounts, there's no way that's happening. The only name that makes sense, given all the context clues, is Urban Meyer. If he did reach out, we need to hand him a blank check and be done with it.

When I first heard this from Jboy, I thought Stoops. Meyer already turned down Texas, and Texas is a better opportunity than Auburn if you want to try to win an NC sooner rather than later. I can't see Petersen because of his family's unique medical needs.

Mount Rushmore has four presidents on it. Who are the top 4 coaches? We know the top 3, it is #4 that is the question.

Nick Saban - 6 NCs, 0.796

Urban Meyer - 3 NCs, 0.854

Dabo Swinney - 2 NCs, 0.814

Bob Stoops - 1 NC, 0.798

Jimbo Fisher - 1 NC, 0.766

Mack Brown - 1 NC, 0.664

Les Miles - 1 NC, 0.668

Ed Orgeron - 1 NC, 0.598

Gene Chizik - 1 NC, 0.500

Brian Kelley - 0 NC, 0.726

I’d rather not worry about it or talk about it until it’s a bit more concrete. Just setting ourselves up for disappointment. 

the thing about urbie is even if he leaves after three or four years he will bring a ton of great recruits in and we should be winning more games. and when he leaves he will leave someone in a great position after he leaves. and i have heard several times it is true his wife bought a house in auburn for what it is worth but i believe the reason was not football.

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I’d rather not worry about it or talk about it until it’s a bit more concrete. Just setting ourselves up for disappointment. 

Not everybody's emotions are like the stock exchange. My reactions to things like a football search aren't impacted by how much I invest in an expectation. 

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

When I read the first post in this thread that was my first thoughts . 

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Not everybody's emotions are like the stock exchange. My reactions to things like a football search aren't impacted by how much I invest in an expectation. 

...What?

19 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I  posted this in another thread, but it fits here better.

CharlieBrownLucyFootball.jpg

7 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Mine are . Hell we are all adults on a message board every five minutes refreshing the coaching search thread . we are all a wreck . Don’t get it twisted 

5 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

...What?

Translation: if you don't want to talk about this because you're afraid of being disappointed, okay. Not everybody shares those feelings. Some of us find this stuff interesting and want to discuss it. 

4 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Mine are . Hell we are all adults on a message board every five minutes refreshing the coaching search thread . we are all a wreck . Don’t get it twisted 

Nah. I am not a wreck over a football coaching search. 

It’s like the hottest Soap Opera ever on this board! It’s fun and impossible to know what’s coming next, or how crazy it will be! 😝 

I have zero faith that the BOT will pull in one of the top 3 best choices from the list of confirmed interviewees, much less one that's "earth shattering." These are the idiots that paid $21M to fire Gus and install a 62 year old DC with a 9-36 HC record and zero interest from any other program in the country. Yet they'll get Urban Meyer? Please...

10 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I have zero faith that the BOT will pull in one of the top 3 best choices from the list of confirmed interviewees, much less one that's "earth shattering." These are the idiots that paid $21M to fire Gus and install a 62 year old DC with a 9-36 HC record and zero interest from any other program in the country. Yet they'll get Urban Meyer? Please...

The key that gives me hope is the candidate reached out to Auburn. So the interest is clear and significant. Hopefully the idiots just get out of the way.

Archived