Allen Greene needs to step up concerning vaccinations

Eagle Eye 7

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And that's why these anti-vaxxers and anti-mask mandate leaders can well and truly go **** themselves with a baseball bat. Personal responsibility my ass. Spoiled, selfish, coddled crybabies.

Maybe when all this is said and done, the anti-vaxxers and anti-mask mandate governors will themselves have passed on. Sounds gruesome, but may quite possibly be the actual end result.

37 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Let’s just hope that the people that die are the ones that are able to choose that fate and not the one that aren’t able to.

Maybe y’all sick minded people that think like this can get Hitler to help decide who dies! This is a fact everyone is going to die .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. I am of the belief, that if you choose not to get vaccinated, I think you should waive the rights to get an ICU bed. That might seem heartless, but the ramifications are elective surgeries and other people who actually do need ICU beds are now being held on the med surge to prioritize COVID patients. 

I generally agree with you but can not on this. I still feel we should try and save as many as possible, even if that means saving them from themselves. Being ignorant on a subject shouldn’t equal a death sentence. I understand the ramifications you speak of and have some insight to the frustrations many the medical field have, but if we get to this point there’s no going back. 

• Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, au701948 said:

Maybe when all this is said and done, the anti-vaxxers and anti-mask mandate governors will themselves have passed on. Sounds gruesome, but may quite possibly be the actual end result.

As I said elsewhere, if I can just get my kids that shot then I will gladly shut up, grab my popcorn and watch darwinism do its thing.

Who am I kidding. Health care workers will still be suffering unnecessarily and I'll still have something to say about that. A lot less personal though.

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I generally agree with you but can not on this. I still feel we should try and save as many as possible, even if that means saving them from themselves. Being ignorant on a subject shouldn’t equal a death sentence. I understand the ramifications you speak of and have some insight to the frustrations many the medical field have, but if we get to this point there’s no going back. 

You know what the definition of ignorance is? There are people who have all the information at their disposal, have seen the ramification of not following treatment and still take up beds. That is not only unfair to people who actually need help, but to those who serve. I have empathy for individuals who cannot obtain the needed resources. My empathy has significantly lowered for people who willingly choose not to do it. 

EDIT: And this is not squarely about COVID.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

If I have to make a choice between a vaxxed trauma patient and an unvaxxed COVID patient, that COVID patient can 100% go suck wind in the parking lot.

Big time hypothetical but actually maybe not at this point.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

If I have to make a choice between a vaxxed trauma patient and an unvaxxed COVID patient, that COVID patient can 100% go suck wind in the parking lot.

Big time hypothetical but actually maybe not at this point.

Interesting take but ok. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Explain.

The SEC protocol is such that, if a team reaches 80 percent vaccinated, the need for testing and contact tracing is greatly reduced if not eliminated. Auburn’s basketball team, I am told, is beyond the 80 percent threshold, but that’s another story for another time.

It’s football season, and there is reason for concern about what could happen if Auburn does not reach that 80 percent threshold.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/PMARSHONAU-Where-does-Auburn-football-go-from-here-169428624/

15 minutes ago, eagle12 said:

Maybe y’all sick minded people that think like this can get Hitler to help decide who dies! This is a fact everyone is going to die .

then why even have a medical system. we should all just go back to the 1800s and kick rocks as soon as we get stabbed with a rusty nail (since you guys don't believe in a tetanus shot) and who needs doctors to prescribe steroid shots or IVs??? You get too weak, join the cave people from centuries ago 

• Like 1

We can have a real conversation. Let's get real in here. I have empathy for the people who don't have the resources. Who don't have the transportation, who can't afford medications, who can't afford a healthy lifestyle, who don't have the education background, or who don't even know how to use a computer because they have never seen one. I go to hell and back for them. We do free work, we go out and advocate, we do so much. 

The people who have all the resources and can get information whenever they want, but choose freely not to do it..Yeah you aren't fans of the healthcare system. Now legally I am obligated to treat you to my best of my abilities, but what I find funny is the damn superior mindset they also have as well  towards staff.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

OANN, NewsMax, what news do you think I should watch? I certainly wouldn’t want to consume any fake news man 

Amen!

20 hours ago, au302 said:

..... I think we can all agree that regardless of our opinions, it's important for these guys to get healthy for their own sakes. Our first two games are Akron and AL state. They should all be back well before then, and those games will allow us to figure stuff out. People need to stop with declaring Harsin a failed leader and throwing this season down the drain over a virus that is unpredictable. Log off, go for a jog, play golf. Ultimately, no one knows if we or any team will make it through without issues. Let's see how it plays out. 

But that's exactly the point.  There is a way of eliminating that risk.

Just ask Sabin.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-Athletic-Director-says-football-team-vaccination-rate-continues-to-change-169440773/

AUBURN, Alabama–With Auburn’s head football coach in isolation after testing positive for COVID-19, the university’s athletic director, Allen Greene, would not give a number on what percentage of the players have been vaccinated with the Tigers preparing to play their first game in two weeks. However, he said there has been movement on that front.

“It continues to change,” Greene said on Saturday when asked about football player vaccination percentages. He made the comment following a groundbreaking ceremony at the new football performance center complex.

“We continue to have student-athletes talk that they want to get vaccinated," he said. "They want to play. They have been preparing for eight months. Our staff has been with them for eight months.

The soccer team, which has started its season, announced that it is 100 percent vaccinated. “We have several teams that are close (to 100 percent),” Greene said. “Now that our student-athletes are back on campus it is becoming more of a reality with the Delta variant spreading the way it is. We talked to all of our teams about the importance of this and we will continue to do that.”

The athletic director said that all systems are still go for fans to attend games at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Last season capacity was capped at approximately 20 percent.
Asked if the university might consider a requirement of proof of vaccination for fans attending Auburn sporting events, Greene said, “We have not had that conversation on our campus yet. We hope our community continues to do what it needs to do to make it safe for everybody.”“So far so good,” Greene said for fan attendance. “Our plan is still to move forward with 100 percent capacity. This is the time where people need to be vigilant and take care of themselves and listen to their doctors and hopefully we can improve vaccination rates.”

Related to the OP. AD is doing what he can it seems. Basketball is above 80%, Soccer is 100%, Football is reportedly at 50%... This isn't on AD AG, its obviously on Coach Harsin who is going to be out of the office for 10 days or so! Hopefully that time allows him time to reflect and realize that thing need to change in order to be successful this fall. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Related to the OP. AD is doing what he can it seems. Basketball is above 80%, Soccer is 100%, Football is reportedly at 50%... This isn't on AD AG, its obviously on Coach Harsin who is going to be out of the office for 10 days or so! Hopefully that time allows him time to reflect and realize that thing need to change in order to be successful this fall. 

Ill give Harsin that there's simply more people you have to convince, but it just doesn't seem like he's trying. Like I highly doubt these kids haven't had access to medical professionals while being athletes at a top tier athletics program throughout all of 2020. Obviously, they need a push from somewhere other than a doctor or scientist 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

You know what the definition of ignorance is? There are people who have all the information at their disposal, have seen the ramification of not following treatment and still take up beds. That is not only unfair to people who actually need help, but to those who serve. I have empathy for individuals who cannot obtain the needed resources. My empathy has significantly lowered for people who willingly choose not to do it. 

EDIT: And this is not squarely about COVID.

How do you feel the largest demo of unvaccinated - POC, who are hesitant because of a history of distrust toward experimental medicine (with valid reason, like the racist Tuskegee experiments). Do I believe some nefarious scheme like that is actually happening? Of course not. But I empathize with people who aren't getting the vaccine out of mistrust. That's the majority of people who won't get the shot. 

For some reason, I think it's easier for people to demonize a vision of an anti-vaxxer as an obnoxious white guy who thinks COVID is a hoax. It's a whole lot wider spectrum than that. 

10 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Interesting take but ok. 

You say this but at the same breathe you say we should save people from themselves. You ever dealt with a chaptered patient? We are trying to help people save themselves by giving them the information needed and advocating for vaccination. Do you want us to start chaptering people to get vaccinated?

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

then why even have a medical system. we should all just go back to the 1800s and kick rocks as soon as we get stabbed with a rusty nail (since you guys don't believe in a tetanus shot) and who needs doctors to prescribe steroid shots or IVs??? You get too weak, join the cave people from centuries ago 

You forgot penicillin! You know that has never been discussed . They do have medicine to treat this but that’s hardly brought up. They rather make divisive names like non vaccine people.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not sure you can force anyone to get the shot. i have both of mine and i will get the booster.

They aren't being forced as long as they have the option of quitting or transferring.

I am starting to have serious doubts about Harsin.  It seems his priorities are screwed up on this.

• Dislike 3

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yep. I am of the belief, that if you choose not to get vaccinated, I think you should waive the rights to get an ICU bed. That might seem heartless, but the ramifications are elective surgeries and other people who actually do need ICU beds are now being held on the med surge to prioritize COVID patients. 

Here's a list of other willfull acts that result in people getting ICU beds today; do you think they should be refused treatment given that they made decisions that resulted in their condition?

AIDS patient

Obese diabetic

Obese heart patient with blocked arteries

Failed suicide patient

Teenage speeding and driving recklessly in a motor vehicle accident

• Like 4

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

They aren't being forced as long as they have the option of quitting or transferring.

I am starting to have serious doubts about Harsin.  It seems his priorities are screwed up on this.

Go have doubts about your president letting all kinds of unvaccinated people come across the border exposing everyone to!

• Facepalm 5
  • Dislike 1

22 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

Vaccine mandates are controlling.

The vacccine does NOT and will NOT prevent anyone from getting Covid...it never has and was not developed for such purpose.  Some of you need to live in my shoes as a health care provider who has ran a Covid clinic 1.5 years.  Out of our + tests in the past 3-4 weeks, roughy 30-40% of those are vaccinated people.  Some sick, some not

Just to be clear, do you recommend the unvaccinated to get vaccinated?

Edited by homersapien

1 minute ago, eagle12 said:

You forgot penicillin! You know that has never been discussed . They do have medicine to treat this but that’s hardly brought up. They rather make divisive names like non vaccine people.

The first half of this post made no sense to me, but the reason certain camps have been adorned with "divisive names" is because most of their qualms aren't based in reality. They actively seek sources that go against the prevailing thought in the medical community

If you said something like "I think Michael Jordan sucked", the basketball community would belittle you. If you said Bo Jackson was a scrub, the Auburn community would belittle you. You're not going to be treated with an equal amount of respect as normal thinking people if you spout things like the covid vaccines do nothing, or even worse, they harm you more than covid. THOSE people get belittled.

There are reasonable suspicions and suggestions, but there has not yet been shown a comparable means of mitigating the pandemic other than the vaccines (monoclonal antibodies are another fast rising and great option, but if these a**holes can't find it in them to believe in a vaccine, I doubt they seek to get someone else's blood injected in them)  

• Like 1

Just now, AUght2win said:

How do you feel the largest demo of unvaccinated - POC, who are hesitant because of a history of distrust toward experimental medicine (with valid reason, like the racist Tuskegee experiments). Do I believe some nefarious scheme like that is actually happening? Of course not. But I empathize with people who aren't getting the vaccine out of mistrust. That's the majority of people who won't get the shot. 

For some reason, I think it's easier for people to demonize a vision of an anti-vaxxer as an obnoxious white guy who thinks COVID is a hoax. It's a whole lot wider spectrum than that. 

I am not demonizing a single person. If you don't want to get vaccinated, don't do it. If you are at risk of heart disease and you choose not to exercise, not to eat the right things, then go for it. If you have been told, you really should cut down on cigarette smoking and you don't do it, then that is fine. But once it gets to a point of tertiary prevention, DO NOT GET MAD AT THE HEALTHCARE PROVIDER. You got people who have absolutely been educated and have the resources, who choose not to do it, get admitted repeatedly then have the audacity to be downright disgusting to staff. Not only that, they are taking beds from other people who might be more receptive to teaching or treatment. This is where the frustration lies with me and I believe many healthcare providers.

Now I am a black healthcare provider. In fact, I am one of the singular black psych NPs in the Milwaukee metro area. We can get into race, SES, cultural impact discussion. But the don't close that door if you open that pandora box.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Do you really believe that our HC is the reason 60 of the 120 kids on the team aren't vaccinated? These are young men making their own decisions. For better or worse, it's on them. He isn't their king or their Dad. He is a football coach. I wouldn't make any personal medical decision based on the advice of a coach.

• Like 1