Auburn vs Penn State will prove....

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, TJRanger175 said:

What I would hope to see if Auburn falls behind-

They don't give up... they keep fighting until the end.

PSU may very well beat Auburn, but if State does win the game I hope they have to go through hell to get the win.

While I care about a win, I recognize that it is not something in my control (I had to make the decision to not stake my emotional wellbeing on the actions of 18-22 year old's).

If they show they care enough to fight until the end and show improvements on the areas they needed to improve... if they do that, then we know they are heading in the right direction.

It looks like to me Harsin will not allow anything but this approach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PSUPat said:

It's all good, wasn't calling anyone on the board out.  

pat i understand this but i still wanted to make sure you do understand you guys have our respect. you guys have always been known to most of us you guys are great fans and for some of you to come on and talk to us as well as inviting us to tailgate is awesome. if we win we will still have the same respect. same way if we lose. your whiteout is storybook stuff to me and i want that win bad. and you guys seem to command a lot of respect around here with the fans. and since i posted the offending article i want to make damn sure you do not get the wrong vibe because we have mostly got a great bunch of folks here and i would never want you to get the wrong impression about us. i guess it is just important to me.

I largely think the article is a bad take.  Auburn vs PSU is not some battle for conference supremecy.  In my mind, neither are national titles.

If you want to see who the best conferences are, look no further than the NFL draft.  Especially the early rounds.  Much better barometer of talent levels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

And since i posted the offending article i want to make damn sure you do not get the wrong vibe because we have mostly got a great bunch of folks here and i would never want you to get the wrong impression about us. 

It's all good man.   The beef,and it was minor, was with the guy who wrote the article. 

Guess I never understood the conference supremity stuff.   If PSU was the ONLY good team in the B1G, that'd be ok with me, the only downfall would be a lot of boring games.   Michigan being good gives me no pride and if they suck, gives me no embarrassment.  

14 minutes ago, PSUPat said:

It's all good man.   The beef,and it was minor, was with the guy who wrote the article. 

Guess I never understood the conference supremity stuff.   If PSU was the ONLY good team in the B1G, that'd be ok with me, the only downfall would be a lot of boring games.   Michigan being good gives me no pride and if they suck, gives me no embarrassment.  

One thing I think we can agree on, is Bama fatigue. (And Clemson, OSU, and Oklahoma) The playoffs would be a lot more interesting if more teams and conferences were represented. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PSUPat said:

The B1G has 3 big named programs that I'd argue are capable of being on that level if they get it going.  OSU, Michigan, and PSU. 

I think only 3-4 programs in the country have that kind of potential (i.e. dominating CFB for a while):

- Notre Dame (would take a lot, Irish would have to hire Urban Meyer + sign Arch Manning)

- USC (theoretically)

- Miami (theoretically)

- Clemson (probably not, but they are the only non-SEC team that actually has a recent track-record)

Edited by AUreo

13 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

man i want a white out win so bad i cannot hardly stand it. if we win it is going to look like cheech and chong live here...........lol

02459D54-7183-4998-988C-BD62AD7418DA.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PSUPat said:

I appreciate your level-headed comments. I was there for the Outback Bowl after the 1995 season, in the rain and nasty weather, when you guys whipped us.

I’ve always been a big Steelers fan, so I’ve always liked you guys. At the bowl game I met some State fans who were Steelers fans, and we had some good convos.

I’m looking forward to Saturday night! I think it’s going to be a great game!

War Eagle!

11 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

it would be a bad look if the team that was projected to be like 4th in the West and middle of the pack beat what is now the head of the table in the B10 

Wow, from a team that was 4-5 last year, came into the season predicted 4th in B1G east division, after 1 road victory over a program that also had issues last year, calling us head of the B1G table is something!   

Hope you're right!

• Like 1

OSU made the playoffs last year 7-0 due to Covid. Wonder what their record would have been if they played 4 SEC games to have 11 games last year.  Some perennial playoff teams would have a hard time playing 9 SEC games.

• Thanks 1

Just to be clear, expectations for PSU in the B1G are nearly identical to expectations for Auburn in the SEC.   Both predicted 3rd or 4th in division and middle of the pack overall but with potential upside based on talent.  

OSU looks mortal at the moment and Indiana looks like, well, Indiana again.  I guess thats why we're inflated expectations?   But the Bucknuts are still a tough out, we play them in the Shoe, and not till after giving them time to figure out their defensive woes.   You know they have the talent to do so.  Michigan and MSU are both playing well.  And hey, Iowa may be in the west but we still gotta go to their house, and they look real strong.  Even Butgers and Maryland don't look like gimme's.

Bottom line we have ZERO idea who the class of the B1G is yet.  Should be an interesting year up here.   Maybe lacking the death star but a whole lot of solid parity.  

Last year was jacked up in the B1G.   No spring practices.   And then camp was mostly called off too when we cancelled the season.   And then, hey, you're playing afterall in 2 weeks, lol.  We installed an entirely new offense (new OC) over zoom.  First real practice was like game week, haha.   Then half the players gone for both teams for a lot of games.  

I just don't know how much stock to put into last season.   For anyone in this conference.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PSUPat said:

Last year was jacked up in the B1G.   No spring practices.   And then camp was mostly called off too when we cancelled the season.   And then, hey, you're playing afterall in 2 weeks, lol.  We installed an entirely new offense (new OC) over zoom.  First real practice was like game week, haha.   Then half the players gone for both teams for a lot of games.  

I just don't know how much stock to put into last season.   For anyone in this conference.     

The sneaky Big 10 team this year, and also my favorite bet of the week, is Michigan State.  They look really, really good so far.

They are currently +6 points at Miami this week, but I love them on the money line at +200 odds.

Edited by Brad_ATX

I just don’t agree with this game having any significance about relative conference strength.  As a matter of fact Auburn was beaten the last two years in bowl games by B1G teams (Northwestern and Minnesota) and the games were not really close.  Just pretty much got their butts beat both times.  One of those games was even coming off a win over Bammer.  I would suggest that opt outs, lack of an offensive game plan by Gus in 2019 and finally the Gus firing in 2020 probably had a lot to do with those losses but they were losses nonetheless.  They showed up well coached, ready to play and enthusiastic.  Our guys looked poorly coached, some (not all but some) looked like they just didn’t want to be there.  

All of the above having been said I really expect Auburn to be a well coached team with a good game plan ready to lay it all on the line against a good PSU team this Saturday.  Will it be enough?  Heck if I know that’s why they line up and play it.  But regardless of the outcome it is not going to mean one conference is better than the other.  The talking heads on TV may promote that’s crap but I guarantee you regardless of the outcome if you line the two teams up again the next week and play it again the result might well be different.  Think back to 2017.  Auburn kicked Georgia’s butts all over field only to see them return the favor a few weeks later in the championship game.  We also hear the same East/West superiority argument within the SEC.  

15 hours ago, PSUPat said:

I would LOVE it if everyone in the conference lost.  Well, cept maybe Nebraska, cause you just feel bad for them.  lol.  

I feel the same about the rest of the SEC. To hell with them, they don't act anything like brothers. Except for Vandy. Who can root against Vandy?

4 hours ago, PSUPat said:

Wow, from a team that was 4-5 last year, came into the season predicted 4th in B1G east division, after 1 road victory over a program that also had issues last year, calling us head of the B1G table is something!   

Hope you're right!

well now was the big word there lol 

I think OSU will still win the conference once Day gets his head out of his ass and starts Ewers or gives literally anyone other than that scrub they're currently starting a chance. But that D is not good 

14 hours ago, PSUPat said:

Guess I never understood the conference supremity stuff.

As a fan of a team that has claimed conference supremacy without really delivering it (except against Oregon), I can only say that, for me, it's mainly about, "See?? See how frickin' hard our schedule is?!?!" Because it really is. And there is a little pride in having to face it every year, even if we don't always step up to the challenge. 

I take no joy in other SEC teams winning out of conference games. We were all HUGE Ohio State fans around here that Cardale Jones year. Were PSU to face uga in the playoffs, we'd pay handsomely to see you guys win that game. 

Edited by McLoofus

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

I feel the same about the rest of the SEC. To hell with them, they don't act anything like brothers. Except for Vandy. Who can root against Vandy?

They have the baseball whistler.  Vandy can go right to hell for that alone.

Ever since Cam was snubbed in 2010 for the tennis player I could care less about the SEC. The only team I care about in the SEC is Auburn and yes we all have bama fatigue!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wde21 said:

Ever since Cam was snubbed in 2010 for the tennis player I could care less about the SEC. The only team I care about in the SEC is Auburn and yes we all have bama fatigue!

That was a travesty , no offense to the tennis player , but plenty of offense to the tool bags that voted . 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:13 AM, PSUPat said:

The B1G has 3 big named programs that I'd argue are capable of being on that level if they get it going.  OSU, Michigan, and PSU.  Yeah, Wisconsin, MSU, Iowa often have "very good" teams but their ceiling falls short of natty caliber, IMO, they are "could get into playoff" caliber.  The rest of the conference is solid programs capable of fielding competitive teams, but not every year, and even at their best probably not natty caliber, like ever.  Think Missou, Kentucky types.  Except maybe Rutgers (helloooo Vandy, lol), but they are on the upward trend too it seems.   

I think that's probably a very realistic snapshot of the conference. The SEC has 6 traditional powers in Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee. All six have the resources to become a year in/year out NC contender with the right coach. Georgia and Tennessee are the only ones not to win a national title this century (and TN did it in 98). 

I will throw in that I think the Big 10 has one other program with the history to be that type of team: Nebraska. They haven't really been relevant in football since Tom Osbourne left, but they do have the tradition. The 95 team with Tommie Frazier running the triple option was one of the best teams ever to be put on a college football field.