Go to the Damn Games

Zeek

I just don’t see us filling the place for games like Alabama State, GA State and Akron.  Never have and probably never will.  Hopefully it will be full or mostly full for the other SEC games and packed for UGA and Bammer. 

Edited by weagl1

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Man, my folks sit lower level, usually between the 20s, every damn week.  And I can't tell you how many times someone just hands them a ticket.

I made the mistake of buying a $250 ticket to the 2013 Iron Bowl ahead of time.  I sat in the upper deck.  My folks went without tickets.  Chris Davis ended up running right at them as they were 40 rows up in the North end zone.  Their cost?  Free.

Lesson learned from me.  Will never buy AU home game tickets ahead of time again.

Well yeah that makes sense if you think about it.  Crowd attendance in the first season of a head coach is lower, especially after the 2012 season.  That is why you are seeing a lower attendance this year as well.

If Harsin gets this team where we want to go, you will find it much harder to find good tickets at face value unless friends give you tickets for free.

But hey, if it works for you by all means.  I’m just saying from experience of doing it both ways.  In the end, I’m just glad you and your family are able to attend games. 

Edited by abw0004

17 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Jacobs used to catch hell for it, but he usually found a way to get the tickets into the hands of someone or some group.  Are we still doing that?

I don't know if AU still does that or not since my kids are grown now.

But I recall Many - MANY Boy Scout and Boys Ranch groups close to the Auburn area used to receive large blocks of AU game tickets from Jacobs & his people and they were greatly appreciated. 

In hindsight, it was a fantastic way to grow your fanbase allowing those young kids to experience the campus atmosphere.   I personally know a young man who's now in his senior year at AU who came from a humble background that will always remember those games with his Boy Scout troop, he says AU hooked him the first time he went to a game at 8 yrs old. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Corona still around and the quality of opponent has a lot to do with that. A lot of people don’t want to see a Game  that will more than likely be over by halftime 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Corona still around and the quality of opponent has a lot to do with that. A lot of people don’t want to see a Game  that will more than likely be over by halftime 

Yup. Would also be different if we'd beaten Penn State. That really took some wind out of the sails. And then of course the fact that all 3 home games in September have been cupcakes. I'm sure as hell not going to tell somebody to buy 3 tickets for that. 

• Like 1

I got an email today from TUF that I can purchase additional tickets for UGA. $150 for the upper level. I guess they have a good number of tickets left because I am LOW priority. 

19 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I got an email today from TUF that I can purchase additional tickets for UGA. $150 for the upper level. I guess they have a good number of tickets left because I am LOW priority. 

UGA isn't the crazy hot ticket it once was.  I snagged face value in the lower level two years ago the night before the game without an issue.

The other issue with games like UGA is actually right there in your post.  $150 per ticket is ridiculous for most families.  NFL tickets in better seats than the upper deck are cheaper than that.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 6

Combination of things 

1. no reason to blow your Saturday (imo) as a family man and completely remove your ability to follow other games just to see Auburn beat Akron by 50 in a game that now has no bearing in anyone’s mind, esp if you’ve been to an Auburn game before. The various headaches of traffic and such would be off putting to me 

2. it’s a National problem

• Like 1

23 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Got tickets for the UGA game. Can't afford any others! 🤪

This also 

you go to any of the games that matter and your bank account isn’t going to allow you to go to any of the other ones. Evidently Auburn isn’t concerned about that situation 

As others have said, it is a national problem:

• Competing personal priorities (kids, coaching, family stuff, dog sitter, etc.)
  • COVID fears
  • Crowds and time commitment
  • Working from home, while reducing daily travel, means a lot of people have to work weekends now
  • Cost
  • Fan experience vs couch experience

That last one is where all televised/broadcasted sports are struggling. You have all the luxuries at home or at your fingertips. You don't have to worry about crowds, weather, or missing the game going to the bathroom (I guess you wouldn't have to miss the game in person if you where Depends, but you might not be too popular if that sucker busts). You have control of your own experience at home. Don't like your home, go to a bar/cookout. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. Would also be different if we'd beaten Penn State. That really took some wind out of the sails. And then of course the fact that all 3 home games in September have been cupcakes. I'm sure as hell not going to tell somebody to buy 3 tickets for that. 

Yep if Auburn would’ve won that game against PSU then people would’ve showed up because it would look like it’s shaping up to be one of “those” Auburn seasons again like 2013. 

• Like 1

The schools aren't suffering from it financially due to the revenue stream being what it is.  When the new contract is negotiate, they will make more from tv revenue than from any other source.  It is important during big games and to show support for recruiting etc.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

UGA isn't the crazy hot ticket it once was.  I snagged face value in the lower level two years ago the night before the game without an issue.

The other issue with games like UGA is actually right there in your post.  $150 per ticket is ridiculous for most families.  NFL tickets in better seats than the upper deck are cheaper than that.

The Georgia game is still huge though.  We don't win that game in 2017 without the incredible atmosphere that started the day before the game and intensified right thru the 4th qtr. 

8 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The Georgia game is still huge though.  We don't win that game in 2017 without the incredible atmosphere that started the day before the game and intensified right thru the 4th qtr. 

Its a huge game, but it isn't "pay a bunch over face value" huge.  Especially for $150 a pop at face value.

On 9/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, passthebiscuits said:

I had 22 tickets to the Alabama State game in the lower bowl and couldn’t give away 8 of them as I circled the stadium before going in. I think we need better opponents to sell the place out. 

I used to fuss about these games, but now I have to admit it's nice to have a cheap game to take the kids to. All those hot dogs and cotton candies start to add up... Plus I can leave at halftime. 

I know it would never happen, but I would favor just cutting one game out of the schedule and going back to 11 for the regular season. Take off one meaningless non-conference game and give the players an extra off-week to heal up. 

On 9/23/2021 at 3:49 PM, Scottie said:

That last one is where all televised/broadcasted sports are struggling. You have all the luxuries at home or at your fingertips. You don't have to worry about crowds, weather, or missing the game going to the bathroom (I guess you wouldn't have to miss the game in person if you where Depends, but you might not be too popular if that sucker busts). You have control of your own experience at home. Don't like your home, go to a bar/cookout. 

Actually, I prefer watching games on tv because I think it is the better experience overall (apart from the pre-game experience). I only go to the games when we play lesser opponents because I prefer watching the big games on tv. 

Anyways, I am going to the game today!

I actually like the smaller out of conferences games because it’s much easier to take the kiddos around and see everything without the crush of the big game crowds. Nothing compares to the big games of course, it’s apples and oranges really.